What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I am watching every Bond movie: please kill me (2 Viewers)

You don’t really realize how tame the Bronson ones are until you watch them all in a row. GoldenEye is still solid, but the others are pretty tepid. 
Goldeneye was great, the rest were terrible. And that one where he goes into North Korea with the longest plane crash of all time. Even Halley Berry couldn't save that one. 

Goldeneye was great, the rest were terrible. And that one where he goes into North Korea with the longest plane crash of all time. Even Halley Berry couldn't save that one. 
IMO, Die Another Die is passable through the fencing battle between Bond and Gustav Graves. That's probably 1/3 to 1/2 into the movie. Then they move to the ice palace and all sorts of horrible and improbable things take place. I'd give the first half a B- and the second half an F-. Invisible cars? A rocket car hanging off a cliff by a tiny parachute? As you said, the 45 minutes plane crash. Characters reappearing with new faces. A similar plot line to Diamonds Are Forever taken one step further. People drowning in a hotel due to ice melting. ALL. KINDS. OF. BAD.

TCM is showing them in order every Thursday from Connery through Pierce. 
got caught up in this wave. my memory of watching these when much younger was that they were so, so good. impossible to dislike. the peak of cool.

on rewatch..... oh boy. i had a hard time making it through 10-15 minutes.  i wound up turning off 3 different movies because they were so bad. 

either they do not hold up well or they just weren't good in the first place.

A View to Kill is unwatchable. Like, I literally couldn't watch it. I got 45 minutes into it, fell asleep, woke up during some fight scene, fell asleep again, then came back during the credits.

I'm going to count it.

1. From Russia

2. Goldfiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinger (he's just too much!)

3. Dr. No

4. You Only Live Twice

5. Thunderball

6. The Spy Who Loved Me

7. The Man With The Golden Gun

8. The Living Daylights

9. Moonraker

10. On Her Majesty's Secret Service

11. Diamonds Are Forever

12. Live and Let Die

13. For Your Eyes Only

14. Octo#####

15. A View to Kill
My wife came out and saw me looking for Bond movies on the streaming services and said 

“Bond? We’re back to that? There’s not enough new stuff to watch?”

”yea uhhhh remember when I tried to watch all tho...l

”not I. I watched all that crap with you”

Tough sell 

Looks like the last one I watched was A View To Kill, which explains the 4-year sabbatical really. 
Seems like you continued ahead to get to Living Daylights (# 8 in your rankings).

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough sledding ahead for you. I like Dalton as Bond, and I like License To Kill even though the production quality (at times it's about on par with an 80's T.V. movie of the week in this regard) and many of the supporting actors weren't very good (even a very young Benicio Del Toro was off and on in this one, and Carey Lowell's looks/physique made it hard to acknowledge that her acting chops may not be superb), Dalton carries the movie and is about as dark as Bond gets. Then it's on to the Brosnon ones - yikes.

Then it's on to the Brosnon ones - yikes.
Say what you will about Pierce Bond and the scripts of his films but they're a big step up in production values vs. the late Roger and Dalton movies.  They're professional looking movies without the cheap looking sets, heavy product placement and silly sight gags that came to characterize the series. 

With Goldeneye, the producers moved away from in-house director John Glen who'd helmed the past five films and had been involved with the series since George Lazenby wore the kilt.  They began using outside directors who each brought something although not always for the good.  The long gap between Dalton and Brosnan also marked the end for screenwriter Richard Maibaum who'd been involved since the beginning.

I don't mind Brosnan as Bond.  The character is written with a colder edge and Brosnan conveys that without a lot of fuss.  He's believable in the action sequences and his hair looks terrific.

This and Octo##### are so bad. There are parts in Octo##### where I swear they just filmed random stuff with Roger Moore walking around and put it straight n the movie. 
They're the worst.  The other bad 007 films at least have a chase or a stunt that redeemed them.   AVTAK and OP brought nothing to the table except a good villain in Zorin.

Eephus said:
Say what you will about Pierce Bond and the scripts of his films but they're a big step up in production values vs. the late Roger and Dalton movies.  They're professional looking movies without the cheap looking sets, heavy product placement and silly sight gags that came to characterize the series. 

With Goldeneye, the producers moved away from in-house director John Glen who'd helmed the past five films and had been involved with the series since George Lazenby wore the kilt.  They began using outside directors who each brought something although not always for the good.  The long gap between Dalton and Brosnan also marked the end for screenwriter Richard Maibaum who'd been involved since the beginning.

I don't mind Brosnan as Bond.  The character is written with a colder edge and Brosnan conveys that without a lot of fuss.  He's believable in the action sequences and his hair looks terrific.
Yes, they really did pump up the production value (though some effects now look dated, but that's the nature of effects). And I had no problem with Brosnon himself, I just think he didn't get the best material to work with script wise. There's a fine line in regard to believability/plausibility when it comes to the Bond plots/writing, and most of the Brosnons went way over the line into eyerollingly ridiculous territory. His hair was indeed spectacular - probably the best of the Bonds in that regard. You and @Capella should work up a Bond hair ranking. Probably one of the few areas the Connery Bond would come out near the bottom.

Yes, they really did pump up the production value (though some effects now look dated, but that's the nature of effects). And I had no problem with Brosnon himself, I just think he didn't get the best material to work with script wise. There's a fine line in regard to believability/plausibility when it comes to the Bond plots/writing, and most of the Brosnons went way over the line into eyerollingly ridiculous territory. His hair was indeed spectacular - probably the best of the Bonds in that regard. You and @Capella should work up a Bond hair ranking. Probably one of the few areas the Connery Bond would come out near the bottom.
Last place:  Connery's toupee in Never Say Never Again

Eephus said:

I LOVED Brosnan as Bond. I just wish they had better scripts, other than Golden Eye. He was the perfect combo of charisma and mean. Roger Moore was all debonnaire (sp) and no grit. Timothy Dalton carried a Beretta and drove a Mustang (AHHHHH), and Lazenby, was, well, in a kilt. Brosnan brought it back to what Connery brought to it. Charm and harm. Every fight scene with Moore looked like he got lucky when he won. Connery always looked like he knew he was going to win. 

Eephus said:
They're the worst.  The other bad 007 films at least have a chase or a stunt that redeemed them.   AVTAK and OP brought nothing to the table except a good villain in Zorin.
My wife really likes the Daniel Craig ones, which if I recall led to her buying me the box set that started this fiasco, but I don’t know how’s she’s going to get through the Bronson era especially with the backlog of movies and shows we have. But then again making her suffer through this is like 90% of the fun. 

I LOVED Brosnan as Bond. I just wish they had better scripts, other than Golden Eye. He was the perfect combo of charisma and mean. Roger Moore was all debonnaire (sp) and no grit. Timothy Dalton carried a Beretta and drove a Mustang (AHHHHH), and Lazenby, was, well, in a kilt. Brosnan brought it back to what Connery brought to it. Charm and harm. Every fight scene with Moore looked like he got lucky when he won. Connery always looked like he knew he was going to win. 
I'm the opposite. I thought that Brosnan was too wimpy to play Bond well. He seems more like License To Cry.

But I thought that Dalton was perfect for Bond. Too bad the scripts were so mediocre for him.

Dalton never drove a Mustang, but Connery did in Diamonds . . .

The General said:
This and Octo##### are so bad. There are parts in Octo##### where I swear they just filmed random stuff with Roger Moore walking around and put it straight n the movie. 

Eephus said:
:lmao:  These are my two earliest memories of Bond too.  Watched them a few times as a kid since they were fun.  Looking back they were just bad.  

:lmao:  These are my two earliest memories of Bond too.  Watched them a few times as a kid since they were fun.  Looking back they were just bad.  
The scene where they are chasing Bond through the jungle on elephants and he somehow ends up in an electronic alligator submarine is the worst 10 minutes of cinema in history :lol:

I'm the opposite. I thought that Brosnan was too wimpy to play Bond well. He seems more like License To Cry.

But I thought that Dalton was perfect for Bond. Too bad the scripts were so mediocre for him.
I grew up on Roger Moore bond movies. Talk about license to sashay. That man was a dandy. Dalton didn't quite have the same elegance as Brosnan. I thought Brosnan was the perfect combination of grit and grace since Connery. 

Dalton never would have played Bond if Brosnan hadn't been committed to Remington Steele when the job opened up.

Dalton never would have played Bond if Brosnan hadn't been committed to Remington Steele when the job opened up.
I'm sort of happy it worked out that way. Had Brosnan taken the role when it was originally offered, he would've been too young for the role and a little too pretty (Roger Moore 2.0). I think it worked out better to have him take the role later in life when he had a little more edge to him. 

I'm sort of happy it worked out that way. Had Brosnan taken the role when it was originally offered, he would've been too young for the role and a little too pretty (Roger Moore 2.0). I think it worked out better to have him take the role later in life when he had a little more edge to him. 
I agree with some others that while I initially thought Brosnan would be the perfect Bond when Moore was done, once he became Bond I thought he was too pretty / soft / sensitive. I never got the sense that he had going off the rails in him, and the few times they tried to have him act that way I didn't really buy in. Maybe that's because the scripts past GoldenEye weren't great and the overall direction was also not that noteworthy. 

I just lump the late Moore / Dalton / Brosnan era (except for GoldenEye) as the Bond dark ages so to speak. There was a span of 20+ years with almost all misses. I'll still watch the films in that period, but I won't give them my utmost attention.

I agree with some others that while I initially thought Brosnan would be the perfect Bond when Moore was done, once he became Bond I thought he was too pretty / soft / sensitive. I never got the sense that he had going off the rails in him, and the few times they tried to have him act that way I didn't really buy in. Maybe that's because the scripts past GoldenEye weren't great and the overall direction was also not that noteworthy. 

I just lump the late Moore / Dalton / Brosnan era (except for GoldenEye) as the Bond dark ages so to speak. There was a span of 20+ years with almost all misses. I'll still watch the films in that period, but I won't give them my utmost attention.
That's a good way of looking at it. Basically the Connery, Craig and Golden Eye Bond movies are worth watching over and over and over. The rest are not great. I might even throw in the Lazenby movie as worth rewatching. 

According to some, they wanted Dalton to take over for Connery, but Dalton turned them down then because he didn't want to be the guy who followed Connery and he felt he was too young for the role.

Frankly, I think Dalton was an excellent follow-up to Moore. He brought back the sort of grit/seriousness that'd been missing through most of the Moore era (although I still love a lot of those movies) and, IMO, The Living Daylights was a solid Bond film for its day, even if it seems a little tame today. License to Kill, not so good. Pretty s#tty, actually. Brosnan was a very good Bond, but as many here have said, didn't have the scripts/films to back him up. Craig thus far has been my favorite Bond, with CR still standing as my favorite 007 outing. Skyfall was very good, if a bit dour--do we really need Craig's Bond talking about retirement so soon in his run? Quantum of Solace, though I'd be happy to strangle the editor, is a lot better than the initial reactions it got, but I could be saying that because it stands so high above Spectre. I have high hopes for No Time To Die, however, and suspect Craig will end his run on a very high note. What sucks is that whoever plays Bond next will be the first James Bond actor in my lifetime to be younger than me.

I still like The Living Daylights and also some of the Moore movies for their cheesiness and the nostalgia factor. I can see people hating them if they didn't grow up seeing them and then watching them over and over again on 14 days of Bond marathons and such.

At least they don't take themselves too seriously like the awful non-Goldeneye Brosnan ones. Despite the higher production values and special effects/stunts, there is nothing redeeming about those movies. Even the intro songs for Die Another Day and Tomorrow Never Dies are awful. Denise Richards as a nuclear scientist? Moneypenny getting caught by Q having a tryst with a Virtual Reality Bond? I remember people constantly talking through Tomorrow Never Dies whenever Jonathan Price was on the screen saying "check out the clock in this Infinity!"

Even the intro songs for Die Another Day and Tomorrow Never Dies are awful.
The song for the end credits of Tomorrow Never Dies is much better than the title song.

Surrender - k.d. lang

ETA:  TND is the one recent 007 that I've come around on a little.  I didn't like it at all when I first saw it but it's gotten better for me with repeated viewings on TV.  It's the rare recent Bond film that doesn't completely fall apart in the second hour.  The action sequences are good (except for the car chase in a car park) and Jonathan Pryce's Carver is a fun villain.

Buckna said:
I still like The Living Daylights and also some of the Moore movies for their cheesiness and the nostalgia factor. I can see people hating them if they didn't grow up seeing them and then watching them over and over again on 14 days of Bond marathons and such.

At least they don't take themselves too seriously like the awful non-Goldeneye Brosnan ones. Despite the higher production values and special effects/stunts, there is nothing redeeming about those movies. Even the intro songs for Die Another Day and Tomorrow Never Dies are awful. Denise Richards as a nuclear scientist? Moneypenny getting caught by Q having a tryst with a Virtual Reality Bond? I remember people constantly talking through Tomorrow Never Dies whenever Jonathan Price was on the screen saying "check out the clock in this Infinity!"
:goodposting:

My wife really likes the Daniel Craig ones, which if I recall led to her buying me the box set that started this fiasco, but I don’t know how’s she’s going to get through the Bronson era especially with the backlog of movies and shows we have. But then again making her suffer through this is like 90% of the fun. 
You and your wife watch everything together?  I can count on one hand the amount of shows my wife and i watch together and its a low count on that hand.

You and your wife watch everything together?  I can count on one hand the amount of shows my wife and i watch together and its a low count on that hand.
Movies and tv series yea for the most part. When we put the kid to bed each night we’ll knock out a couple hours of something. Have a running list of the next show/movie to go to. 

Movies and tv series yea for the most part. When we put the kid to bed each night we’ll knock out a couple hours of something. Have a running list of the next show/movie to go to. 
What's funny in my house is that my wife will rule something out and tell me I am on my own and I will have to watch it myself. But we pretty much only watch TV together, so what she is essentially is saying is I won't be watching that show / movie, pretty much ever . . . unless there is some rare occurrence when she would be out of town. That might allow me to be able to watch a movie she wouldn't want to watch, but if it's a multi-season TV show to stream, year, that's never going to happen. 

What's funny in my house is that my wife will rule something out and tell me I am on my own and I will have to watch it myself. But we pretty much only watch TV together, so what she is essentially is saying is I won't be watching that show / movie, pretty much ever . . . unless there is some rare occurrence when she would be out of town. That might allow me to be able to watch a movie she wouldn't want to watch, but if it's a multi-season TV show to stream, year, that's never going to happen. 
Yea she doesn’t really love when I have sports on so she’ll read a book or go watch a reality show or something I don’t want to watch, but she pretty much lets me pick most movies/series since she doesn’t care to do the research on what’s good or not. It’s pretty easy going, I can’t remember the last series I picked she didn’t like. Movies aren’t always as easy to please but at least they are shorter. 

No Time to Die's release has been delayed until fall 2020 due to COVID-19 related theater closures.

Users who are viewing this thread