What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✦✦✦ Official 2015 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread &#10 (1 Viewer)

When I saw it my first thought was lower leg, but his grabbing the knee made it obvious what hurt. The angle of the hit says that since it IS the knee, the lower leg absorbed a lot of it and an MCL injury looks likely. It wasn't from behind and the knee didn't fold so ACL should be OK. My first guess was a mid-grade MCL sprain and he is out 2-6 weeks pre medical exam and MRI. Medical examiner having nothing conclusive gives me hope it's only a 1-2 week injury, but I'm still prepared to hear a 4-6 week. VERY outside chance that this is a season-ender for the Steelers unless Vick sucks so bad that he can lose our season in just a few games.

One can hope:

David J. Chao, MD ‏@ProFootballDoc 43m43 minutes ago

By video, BEN ROETHLISBERGER @steelers has significant MCL. Out today & at least next game Thurs vs @Ravens. Hope no additional damage.
OMG this would be awesome! I'm going to try to be optimistic. In the meantime, go Buccos!
That just seems like a guess and the very 'best case scenario'... he other posts stating the worst side of it.
It's absolutely a guess. I'd call it an educated guess but that's all it is.
Dr Chao was money on that one.

From the Ben injury thread:

Wow. Dodged a massive bullet howitzer shell.

• Ravens
  • Chargers
  • Chiefs
  • Bengals
  • Raiders
  • Browns
No powerhouses. If they can go 4-2 I'll take it. I think that this team with a healthy Big Ben, Bell, Brown and Bryant is as good as anyone in football.
This. Honestly I'll even take 3-3 or worse. If this team squeaks in as a WC and the whole offense is healthy, they can beat anyone home or away. The Pats would be the only team in the AFC that would truly scare me but we will deal with that when it happens.
So, for the season...

1. @ NE L

2. vs SF W

3. @ StL W

4. vs BAL W They look like crap without Suggs

5. @ SD W Can not protect Rivers. Out of linemen. Minnesota just crushed them.

6. vs ARI L They are too good to beat with Vick. Could beat them at home, but Ben WON'T be ready.

7. @ KC L A tough stadium and a rising Chiefs team that should be a deceivingly tough 3-3 team.

8. vs CIN L I expect them to have a strangle hold on the division title after this game. If Ben is back he won't be very mobile or stepping into throws with confidence. Full strength Ben by week 10 at best.

9. vs OAK W/L Tough to call this one. If Aldon Smith is shelved, it'll help but their pass rush is solid and Amari Cooper is already a star in just his 3rd pro game. Crabtree is a very solid #2 and L. Murray looks good behind an underrated O line. With Vick, I only give us a chance because they have to come all the way across the country. If Ben is starting his 1st game back, I think it's close. If he played prior to this week, I think we win easy. A crossroads game for us.

10. vs CLE W Jets pounded them and the Raiders just beat them in their own house. Manziel might be QB by then. Ben will likely be back for this game. May not be himself quite yet, but a bye following this game is perfect timing.

That's 5-5 or 6-4 going into a bye week. Coming out of that we should be just about full strength.

12. @ SEA L

13. vs IND W

14. @ CIN W

15. vs DEN W

16. @ BAL W

17. @ CLE W

So, 10-6 or 9-7 by my estimation. This stretch without Ben is going to be crucial. We can still squeak into the playoffs (I don't expect 5 straight wins to finish), but it should be tight. This week vs Baltimore and the game at home vs Oakland are IMO the most pivotal games.

Last edited by a moderator:
timschochet said:
So if Vick goes down, it's Landry Jones?
Right now, yes. And Mike Vick's style makes him prone to being hit -- we could be entering the Landry Jones era quicker than anyone imagined.

A quick look at free agent QB's: Matt Flynn, Tyler Thigpen, and T.J. Yates. I'm sure there are others but this is an ugly list. It might be time to give Charlie Batch a ring...

We need our D to step up big and generate turnovers. Good Defense, running the ball, and winning the turnover battle is the only way we win games without Ben in.

Vick didn't look good yesterday. Some very bad throws. Hopefully a few days of full practice with the first team will help with the timing. I'm not confident at all.

Vick didn't look good yesterday. Some very bad throws. Hopefully a few days of full practice with the first team will help with the timing. I'm not confident at all.
I agree, he didn't look real good yesterday. I assume the Ravens are going to stack the line to shut down Bell. It could open up things for the receivers -- if Vick can hit them.

listening to tunch and wolf on SNR and someone asks about the shazier injury. Tunch mentions nerve damage. I hadn't heard anything about nerve damage. that could be bad. Hopefully hopefully that's not the case

I agree, he didn't look real good yesterday. I assume the Ravens are going to stack the line to shut down Bell. It could open up things for the receivers -- if Vick can hit them.
This is certainly going to be the case early. Hopefully a couple of play action deep completions (which Vick can do better than anything else these days) balances the defense.

I'm thinking Vick gets comfortable with the offense right about the time that Bryant comes back.

I wonder if Tomlin still elects to go for 2 after the first TD. Do the percentages still favor that option even with Vick at QB?
You could make an argument that Vick's running ability adds a dimension to the 2-pt conversion play. But he isn't anywhere close to Ben as a passer so overall I would say they probably won't be going for 2 for a while unless they need to at the end of the game.

I wonder if Tomlin still elects to go for 2 after the first TD. Do the percentages still favor that option even with Vick at QB?
You could make an argument that Vick's running ability adds a dimension to the 2-pt conversion play. But he isn't anywhere close to Ben as a passer so overall I would say they probably won't be going for 2 for a while unless they need to at the end of the game.
I'm just wondering from a pure statistical standpoint if it makes sense to go for 2 regardless of how crappy your QB is. I don't know the percentages and most coaches don't practice what Tomlin has been doing. But most coaches may not be playing the odds correctly.

The 2pt thing is also some ok psychology. If you make it it can deflate your opponent some and if you miss it still sort of shows you're players they are going out there to play aggressive and win and not conservative not to lose.

Other Steelers injury news:

ILB Ryan Shazier (shoulder) and NT Daniel McCullers (knee) are continuing to work their way back to health, but each will be evaluated with a day-to-day approach by the Steelers. Tomlin said Shazier is experiencing weakness in his shoulder and won't return until he regains his strength in the joint. Tomlin also said the team is taking a wait-and-see approach to CB Cortez Allen's injury (knee) as he looks to return to the field in the coming weeks.

The Steelers suffered two in-game injuries in their victory over the St. Louis Rams on Sunday. James Harrison injured his thumb, but Tomlin didn't think it would hinder his availability this Thursday night. Matt Spaeth fractured his hand and is being fitted for a cast. As his primary job on the team is serving as a blocking tight end, there's hope that Spaeth won't miss any time.

Idiot Boxer said:
Gotta imagine a best case scenario is 4 weeks out and 2-2 over that period.
Yeah big difference between this being a 4 game injury or 6 game injury with Cincy being game 5. Either way if we can pull out of this .500 by the time Ben comes back ill be pretty happy.

Idiot Boxer said:
Yeah big difference between this being a 4 game injury or 6 game injury with Cincy being game 5. Either way if we can pull out of this .500 by the time Ben comes back ill be pretty happy.
Me too. Going to be tough with Vick though. What really scares me is that Vick has been a turnover machine -- that's the one thing the Steelers cannot afford.

Idiot Boxer said:
Me too. Going to be tough with Vick though. What really scares me is that Vick has been a turnover machine -- that's the one thing the Steelers cannot afford.
Yeah Vick can make the throws and can certainly get the ball deep but he makes very, very poor decisions. He holds onto the ball too long and has poor accuracy. I want him to just be a game manager but that isn't happening.

What really scares me is that Vick has been a turnover machine
Biggest reason I did not like this signing when it happened: If Vick were forced into action, and now he has been, the Steelers' defense isn't good enough for the amount of times Vick is likely to hand the ball over to the other team.

Most likely gonna be ugly.

Biggest reason I did not like this signing when it happened: If Vick were forced into action, and now he has been, the Steelers' defense isn't good enough for the amount of times Vick is likely to hand the ball over to the other team.

Yeah. A lot of my friends didn't like the Vick signing for off the field reasons. I didn't like it for on the field reasons. He's not a good fit for our offense. I'd rather have Matt Cassel or Jimmy Clausen running our offense right now. A left-handed risk taker isn't what we need.

Just gotta try to stay afloat.

That begs a really ugly questiontoo...

How short is Vick's leash. I think they may have to go to Landry if he struggles.

The defense is probably somewhere in between the Pats game and the 9ers/Rams games but it is much better than I expected. They have talented athletes that are starting to become football players.

Yeah. A lot of my friends didn't like the Vick signing for off the field reasons. I didn't like it for on the field reasons. He's not a good fit for our offense. I'd rather have Matt Cassel or Jimmy Clausen running our offense right now. A left-handed risk taker isn't what we need.Just gotta try to stay afloat.
You would not want Clausen running the offense. Not a defense of Vick but that's just a bad statement. I thought Landry actually made some good reads during preseason but was hurt by the derelict talent he was throwing to. I expect a lot of screens to AB and a high volume amount of carries to Bell/DeAngelo even if the score isn't in our favor.

the front 7 is ok, but the secondary is still a major problem. Any upper tier QB will shred the secondary. The Chargers and Cardinals games will be very difficult because of this.

Yeah. A lot of my friends didn't like the Vick signing for off the field reasons. I didn't like it for on the field reasons. He's not a good fit for our offense. I'd rather have Matt Cassel or Jimmy Clausen running our offense right now. A left-handed risk taker isn't what we need.Just gotta try to stay afloat.
You would not want Clausen running the offense. Not a defense of Vick but that's just a bad statement. I thought Landry actually made some good reads during preseason but was hurt by the derelict talent he was throwing to. I expect a lot of screens to AB and a high volume amount of carries to Bell/DeAngelo even if the score isn't in our favor.
Clausen is a better fit, imo, for this offense in the short term than Vick. Not saying he's a better player. Chicago is a dumpster fire. He'd do much better behind our line with our skill players.

Volunteered to work late Thursday which started out as probably done and back home by 8 or 9. Now it's been pushed back and extended. Probably miss the whole game. Hopefully I'll regret missing it.

Users who are viewing this thread