What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ezekiel Elliott, DAL (2 Viewers)

Bayhawks said:
 He’s not going to hit a contract year for a while, and the notion that players “put it all on the field” is questionable anyway, but to extend it 3 years out?  C’mon man!
The Rams just re-did Gurley with 2 years remaining.  If they do it now, then in two years when new money is coming in, the cap is going up, the CBA is looming to expire, they may end up paying a whole lot more.

matttyl said:
Right, he got an extension, though - not a new deal.  He'll still play out the 4th year of his original rookie deal this season, and then next year will be the equivalent to his 5th year option.  My question was, could the Rams have given him a new deal last week rather than tacking on years two years away?  Doesn't he contractually have to play out his 4th year with the way these new rookie deals are structured?
Gurley's existing deal was modified.  The only requirement is that the player must complete 3 years of his rookie contract before they can begin negotiating any kind of new one.  The article quoted was flat out wrong.  Exact CBA language:

(k) Renegotiations.
(i) A Rookie Contract for a Drafted Rookie may not be renegotiated, amended or altered in any way until after the final regular season game of the player’s third contract year.
(ii) A Rookie Contract for an Undrafted Rookie may not be renegotiated, amended or altered in any way until after the final regular season game of the player’s second contract year.

Ezekiel Elliott is expected to be used more in the passing game this season.

Elliott upped his catches from 2.1 per game as a rookie to 2.6 last season, but he is looking to do more this year. "I think it's just an opportunity to elevate my game, an opportunity to show that I can do more," Elliott said. "In the past, I really wasn't asked to run as many complex routes but now I have a couple of more routes to add to my route tree." Elliott is worthy of an early pick in the first round even if his role in the passing game does not grow, but more receptions would help him compete with the likes of Todd Gurley and Le'Veon Bell for the top-overall designation.

Source: Dallas Morning News 

Aug 13 - 10:50 AM

Looks like DAL All-Pro center just diagnosed with Guillian Barre syndrome and Zach Martin is injured. How are the team's backups at these positions? Zeke good enough to be productive behind a subpar oline?

I'm very nervous also they're probably gonna miss Frederick all yr , Martin banged up and starting a rookie guard so their interior oline very suspect I'm contemplating Barkley over Zeke in ppr 

I think from what I've read they will be "ok" with Looney at C as long as Williams is ok.

If any of the other OL miss time they're ####ed imo.

Will be interesting to see if they trade for anyone once they get an idea how much time Fred is going to miss

I have the 3rd pick in a draft next weekend, was planning to take EE if he was there, not sure now 

I'm steering clear of this offense this year.

If I can't get Gurley, I'm not interested in paying for the next 3.  The "top 4" are destined to dissappoint this year imo.  Zeke's OL and offense in general is scary.  Nothing tangible, but I am not getting warm fuzzies about Leveon.  I like DJ, but... I dunno what he is in this offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie Harper said:
Looks like DAL All-Pro center just diagnosed with Guillian Barre syndrome and Zach Martin is injured. How are the team's backups at these positions? Zeke good enough to be productive behind a subpar oline?
Is he going to miss time?  Guillian-Barre is completely livable, I have (had?) it.  Never impacted my sports performance.  I was paralyzed for 3 days as a kid after getting my MMR booster.  Been fine since 4 days after.  I know severity can vary a lot though.

I'll still take him. Plenty of RB's have done fine losing a lineman. Now if both are out for a period of time, that is different.

But Martin hopes to play week 1 and Frederick said he was already feeling better after treatments. 

Can't overthink these things. Zeke is a stud. He is going to get the carries and is rumored to be more involved in the passing game. 

I'll still take him. Plenty of RB's have done fine losing a lineman. Now if both are out for a period of time, that is different.

But Martin hopes to play week 1 and Frederick said he was already feeling better after treatments. 

Can't overthink these things. Zeke is a stud. He is going to get the carries and is rumored to be more involved in the passing game. 
But it's on top of the complete lack of weapons at wr and te. It's not like you're taking him late. He's a top 4 pick and it's getting a bit scary that high imo. If they don't run the ball at an elite level the offense could be pretty bad.

But it's on top of the complete lack of weapons at wr and te. It's not like you're taking him late. He's a top 4 pick and it's getting a bit scary that high imo. If they don't run the ball at an elite level the offense could be pretty bad.
If they don't run at an elite level this offense collapses, imo.

Is he going to miss time?  Guillian-Barre is completely livable, I have (had?) it.  Never impacted my sports performance.  I was paralyzed for 3 days as a kid after getting my MMR booster.  Been fine since 4 days after.  I know severity can vary a lot though.
Today its unknown.  Rotoworld is pointing to him missing several games as a possibility.  If you had to draft today, avoid Zeke, but the picture may become clearer in the next two weeks.

Only people who don't know keep saying this. They have receivers that made the team last year that aren't this year. Dez still doesn't have a job. That should speak for itself. 

Only people who don't know keep saying this. They have receivers that made the team last year that aren't this year. Dez still doesn't have a job. That should speak for itself. 
They were bad at WR and TE (behind Witten) last year too. So now they have a few of the same bad WRs from last year, a FA mediocre WR, a rookie WR and two rookie TEs.

This is shaping up to be one of the.least dynamic receiving corps in the NFL.

They were bad at WR and TE (behind Witten) last year too. So now they have a few of the same bad WRs from last year, a FA mediocre WR, a rookie WR and two rookie TEs.

This is shaping up to be one of the.least dynamic receiving corps in the NFL.
Two rookie TEs?  Yeah, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. 

Two rookie TEs?  Yeah, you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. 
I apologize for forgetting that Swaim had been drafted in 2015.

But you must have a better response than that.  Why should anyone have the least bit of faith in any of the long list of unproven, or proven mediocre (or worse) options on the Cowboys roster?

Hurns is entering his fifth season, Beasley his seventh, Williams his sixth, Thompson his seventh and it's Austin's sixth season.  I think it is fair to suggest that we know exactly who each of these guys are at this point in their careers.

Gallup may be a promising rookie but still a rookie. Wilson and Brown are both young late round prospects too.  Are we counting on one of them to catch 60+ passes?  One of the UDFAs?

Is Swaim going to emerge in his fourth season? Rico? 

You seem to think you know better and I think many of us would like to hear the logical response as to why the receiving corps in Dallas is not as bad as it appears.

But you must have a better response than that.  Why should anyone have the least bit of faith in any of the long list of unproven, or proven mediocre (or worse) options on the Cowboys roster?

Hurns is entering his fifth season, Beasley his seventh, Williams his sixth, Thompson his seventh and it's Austin's sixth season.  I think it is fair to suggest that we know exactly who each of these guys are at this point in their careers.

Gallup may be a promising rookie but still a rookie. Wilson and Brown are both young late round prospects too.  Are we counting on one of them to catch 60+ passes?  One of the UDFAs?

You seem to think you know better and I think many of us would like to hear the logical response as to why the receiving corps in Dallas is not as bad as it appears.
Again with you speaking as an expert.  Wilson and Brown?    :lol:   News flash, neither of those two are making the team.  

Like I said before it should speak for itself: Everyone you listed has a job (well with the exception of Wilson and Brown) and would have a job with another team if not Dallas.  Dez does not.  People like Noah Brown are being replaced with upgrades.

To answer your questions: Speed.  The problem Dallas had last year was separation and getting open (I know hard to believe with Dez's amazing route tree  :rolleyes: )  Austin, Beasley, Gallup and Thompson.  Only one of these speed guys was there last year.  They don't need a TE to "emerge" they just need a guy that knows his assignments and blocks.  As good as Jason was he also held the offense hostage as he played 95% of the downs and that demands only TE formations being used.

I could be wrong, but, I do know better than someone that thinks Wilson and Brown are still part of the equation.  

How good do the wrs have to be?

Dallas was 13-3 in 2016. Do you know who lead the team in receiving? Do you how many yds he had?

Again with you speaking as an expert.  Wilson and Brown?    :lol:   News flash, neither of those two are making the team.  

Like I said before it should speak for itself: Everyone you listed has a job (well with the exception of Wilson and Brown) and would have a job with another team if not Dallas.  Dez does not.  People like Noah Brown are being replaced with upgrades.

To answer your questions: Speed.  The problem Dallas had last year was separation and getting open (I know hard to believe with Dez's amazing route tree  :rolleyes: )  Austin, Beasley, Gallup and Thompson.  Only one of these speed guys was there last year.  They don't need a TE to "emerge" they just need a guy that knows his assignments and blocks.  As good as Jason was he also held the offense hostage as he played 95% of the downs and that demands only TE formations being used.

I could be wrong, but, I do know better than someone that thinks Wilson and Brown are still part of the equation.  
Thanks for your, mostly, civil and well considered response.

To be very clear I never said Wilson or Brown were anything other than late round prospects and questioned if you thought they would emerge.  I went out of my way not to be overtly critical of them because I did not know your stance on them. Trust me, we agree about their prospects.  In case you weren't sure, I am down on the Cowboys receiving game as a whole. 

I also agree with you about the need for a receiving TE. It isn't necessary if they are good at other aspects of the game.  But a TE who isn't a threat in the passing game will lead defenses to commit to Ezekial Elliot even more when that TE is on the field.

Neither Cole Beasley, Alan Hurns nor Michael Gallup are speed guys.  They're 4.5 guys. Tavon and Thompson ran fast 40s which have translated into 11 seasons (combined) of pretty much nothing on the field.  The point is that defenses aren't going to overcommit resources to Tavon and Thompson when Ezekial Elliot is in the backfield.  It will fall upon Dak, Austin and Thompson to convince them otherwise and that seems like a long shot prospect at best.

Right now Gallup is the lone X-Factor in the Cowboys receiving game.  If anyone is going to force defenses into double teams and to commit additional resources to the passing game, it's Gallup.  He's the guy who may (MAY) be able to open up the field a little more for Zeke.

To be very clear I never said Wilson or Brown were anything other than late round prospects and questioned if you thought they would emerge.  I went out of my way not to be overtly critical of them because I did not know your stance on them. Trust me, we agree about their prospects.  In case you weren't sure, I am down on the Cowboys receiving game as a whole. 
Sorry, I stopped taking your posts seriously when you asked if I was expecting to get 60+ catches out of Cedric Wilson when he was put on IR several weeks ago.

Gallup may be a promising rookie but still a rookie. Wilson and Brown are both young late round prospects too.  Are we counting on one of them to catch 60+ passes?  
It's very clear you have an uninformed opinion on a team that you don't follow very closely.

How good do the wrs have to be?

Dallas was 13-3 in 2016. Do you know who lead the team in receiving? Do you how many yds he had?
Nope and nope.

But I looked and it was Beasley.  With Dez and Witten also on the field. My contention is that those two impacted defensive game plans.  Now we get to see what he does without Dez and Witten on the field.

By no means am I saying the Cowboys receiving game will be a guaranteed total disaster that will kill Zeke's value. I just don't like what I am seeing right now.  It may even help Zeke because I think he will, by necessity, have to be more involved in the passing game.

The biggest concern right now is the health of the offensive line.  If Smith, Martin, Collins & Frederick can get right and be on the field together I have supreme confidence that Zeke will have a big season regardless of who is catching passes.

Sorry, I stopped taking your posts seriously when you asked if I was expecting to get 60+ catches out of Cedric Wilson when he was put on IR several weeks ago.

It's very clear you have an uninformed opinion on a team that you don't follow very closely.
Wow. Come on tony you can do better than that. Gee a 7th round rookie went on IR and Chaka didn't know (or care) "GET HIM!!!" Or was he a sixth round rookie? I honestly I don't care.

You think Beasley, Hurns and Gallup are speed guys when they clearly are not.  So what?  It is more important that you advance your position.  I really want to know why you think there is reason for hope in the receiving game for Dallas.  This will impact Zeke.  I hope you notice that I am not insulting you or demeaning your opinions in the least.

So rather than going for nonsense gotchas, that don't advance your position I think the thread would be much better if you offered support for your position.

Wow. Come on tony you can do better than that. Gee a 7th round rookie went on IR and Chaka didn't know (or care) "GET HIM!!!" Or was he a sixth round rookie? I honestly I don't care.

You think Beasley, Hurns and Gallup are speed guys when they clearly are not.  So what?  It is more important that you advance your position.  I really want to know why you think there is reason for hope in the receiving game for Dallas.  This will impact Zeke.  I hope you notice that I am not insulting you or demeaning your opinions in the least.

So rather than going for nonsense gotchas, that don't advance your position I think the thread would be much better if you offered support for your position.
It's not nonsense it's A:

And B:

You Pick:

Dez, Vince Mayle, Brice Butler and Lucky Whitehead

or

Hurns, Austin, Gallup, and Thompson
If you think there is a huge drop off between these two groups when all the other receivers are the same then I don't know what to tell you. 

Don't draft him, I don't care. I'd be 1000 times more worried about OL depth.

You Pick:

Dez, Vince Mayle, Brice Butler and Lucky Whitehead

or

Hurns, Austin, Gallup, and Thompson
Is none of the above an option? 

Dez>Gallup>Hurns>Butler>Austin=Thompson=Whitehead>Mayle

I am obviously more down on Austin than many others.

It's not nonsense it's A:

And B:

If you think there is a huge drop off between these two groups when all the other receivers are the same then I don't know what to tell you. 

Don't draft him, I don't care. I'd be 1000 times more worried about OL depth.
Should I stop reading your posts and dismiss your opinions because you think Michael Gallup is a speed guy?  Of course not, that's silly.

You seem to be invested in this team (or maybe just Zeke) so I want to know what you think and why.

The receiving corps was bad last year and it looks...highly questionable this season too.  The offensive line is a big concern. Heck, it's the biggest concern, particularly when Smith, Fredrick, Martin & Collins had 61 of 64 possible starts together in 2017 (Smith missed three games) and the team still looked pretty terrible. Obviously Zeke's suspension weighed heavily in that outcome.  But with Collins, Martin and Fredrick all suffering dings, or worse already AND the receivers are questionable it is reasonable to question how all of that will impact Zeke.

Is none of the above an option? 

Dez>Gallup>Hurns>Butler>Austin=Thompson=Whitehead>Mayle

I am obviously more down on Austin than many others.
Thanks for the bold.  They went 13-3 with one of those groups plus Beasley and Williams. Now they have the other plus Beasley and Williams, so expect similar numbers from Zeke.  

Should I stop reading your posts and dismiss your opinions because you think Michael Gallup is a speed guy?  Of course not, that's silly.

You seem to be invested in this team (or maybe just Zeke) so I want to know what you think and why.

The receiving corps was bad last year and it looks...highly questionable this season too.  The offensive line is a big concern. Heck, it's the biggest concern, particularly when Smith, Fredrick, Martin & Collins had 61 of 64 possible starts together in 2017 (Smith missed three games) and the team still looked pretty terrible. Obviously Zeke's suspension weighed heavily in that outcome.  But with Collins, Martin and Fredrick all suffering dings, or worse already AND the receivers are questionable it is reasonable to question how all of that will impact Zeke.
I think you just like hearing yourself talk.

Thanks for the bold.  They went 13-3 with one of those groups plus Beasley and Williams. Now they have the other plus Beasley and Williams, so expect similar numbers from Zeke.  
You really think Zeke is going to put up 2016 numbers?

From your lips to God's ear.

Tell you what, he should be one of the three highest volume backs in the NFL this season because the Cowboys are going to need him to be the entire offense.

Nope and nope.

But I looked and it was Beasley.  With Dez and Witten also on the field. My contention is that those two impacted defensive game plans.  Now we get to see what he does without Dez and Witten on the field.

By no means am I saying the Cowboys receiving game will be a guaranteed total disaster that will kill Zeke's value. I just don't like what I am seeing right now.  It may even help Zeke because I think he will, by necessity, have to be more involved in the passing game.

The biggest concern right now is the health of the offensive line.  If Smith, Martin, Collins & Frederick can get right and be on the field together I have supreme confidence that Zeke will have a big season regardless of who is catching passes.
Yes it was Beas , with 800 yds lol.

They only had 1 guy with 800 yds.

The O will go as far as their line will take them. If the line is healthy Dak will have his best season yet imo because they won't be trying to force it to Dez anymore

You really think Zeke is going to put up 2016 numbers?

From your lips to God's ear.

Tell you what, he should be one of the three highest volume backs in the NFL this season because the Cowboys are going to need him to be the entire offense.
I don't think anyone is going to argue that the Cowboys have an excellent collection of pass catchers but there is some potential with Hurns and Gallop added to the steady but unspectacular Beasley.

Having a mobile QB like Prescott actually helps a RB - plus with more targets now available Zeke may be used more in the passing game where he has showed to be effective albeit underused in the past 

The o-line obviously needs to get healthy, but from what I understand none of the recently injured/sick guys are expected to miss a long stretch.

I have pick 4 this Saturday, so long as Gurley, Bell and David Johnson are gone my pick will almost certainly be Zeke with confidence. The only other options would be AB or Barkley (and with the current RB landscape v. WR landscape I can't see taking Brown). 

Yes it was Beas , with 800 yds lol.

They only had 1 guy with 800 yds.

The O will go as far as their line will take them. If the line is healthy Dak will have his best season yet imo because they won't be trying to force it to Dez anymore
Dez had 796 in 13 games.  He probably would have been in the 900 range, with a shot at 1,000 if he played 16.  But your point is taken.

How do you feel about the line right now?  Martin and Collins should be okay for week 1, Smith is healthy but how important of a loss would Fredrick be if he can't go this season?  Is Looney definitely his replacement?  He doesn't have a ton of starting experience but it is his third season with the Cowboys so he should sync well. I think even without Fredrick it will be one of the top lines in the league and the Cowboys are going to feed Zeke as much as he can eat.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that the Cowboys have an excellent collection of pass catchers but there is some potential with Hurns and Gallop added to the steady but unspectacular Beasley.

Having a mobile QB like Prescott actually helps a RB - plus with more targets now available Zeke may be used more in the passing game where he has showed to be effective albeit underused in the past 

The o-line obviously needs to get healthy, but from what I understand none of the recently injured/sick guys are expected to miss a long stretch.

I have pick 4 this Saturday, so long as Gurley, Bell and David Johnson are gone my pick will almost certainly be Zeke with confidence. The only other options would be AB or Barkley (and with the current RB landscape v. WR landscape I can't see taking Brown). 
Pretty much agree on all counts.

I honestly might take Zeke at #2 and without question at #3 because I do think he will be more involved in the passing game and even without Fredrick the Dallas line is light years better than Arizona's IMO.

Dez had 796 in 13 games.  He probably would have been in the 900 range, with a shot at 1,000 if he played 16.  But your point is taken.

How do you feel about the line right now?  Martin and Collins should be okay for week 1, Smith is healthy but how important of a loss would Fredrick be if he can't go this season?  Is Looney definitely his replacement?  He doesn't have a ton of starting experience but it is his third season with the Cowboys so he should sync well. I think even without Fredrick it will be one of the top lines in the league and the Cowboys are going to feed Zeke as much as he can eat.
The rookie and Collins played the majority of the first half yesterday.  There are no questions surrounding Collins for week 1.  Martin had a bruised knee and will be fine for week 1.

Smith is as healthy this year than any and hopefully Fleming is an upgrade at swing tackle.  

Looney is definitely Travis's replacement.  The concern at depth is that there isn't anybody you would trust at C-G behind Looney.  After a injury in the off season it appears Looney started to take things seriously and remade his body.  His play in the preseason has been pretty good and most feel he will be able to adequately fill in for Travis.

Depth continues to be the primary concern should anyone else suffer an injury.

Looney is definitely his replacement. He should be "ok". Fred is one of the best centers in the game, he will be missed for sure. 

I think it's going to hurt Williams as a rookie not having Fred next to him. 

Collins has an ankle but as you posted should be ok week 1. Martin claims he will be 100% week 1.

Smith makes me nervous, if he goes down for any length of time they are screwed. They signed Fleming to be swing tackle in the off-season but I havent really read anything good about him at all 

Pretty much agree on all counts.

I honestly might take Zeke at #2 and without question at #3 because I do think he will be more involved in the passing game and even without Fredrick the Dallas line is light years better than Arizona's IMO.
Yes but Johnson is light years ahead as a receiver. In ppr Elliot needs to outrush him by 400 to 500 yards to catch up.

Yes but Johnson is light years ahead as a receiver. In ppr Elliot needs to outrush him by 400 to 500 yards to catch up.
Certainly possible.  At that level it's really just picking nits.

I think Zeke could out rush Johnson by 400 yards because I think Arizona is going to have real trouble with their offensive line.  There is some talent there, to be sure, but they have almost zero experience together as a unit, it's a new system and as a unit have perhaps the lengthiest injury history in the league.  If you worry about the health of the Dallas line you should be downright about the health of the line in Arizona. 

Well gentlemen, I did it.

Got the #1 pick in my 12 team, ppr, super-flex redraft yesterday and I took Zeke over Gurley, Bell, Johnson & Rodgers (super-flex puts a premium on QBs).

Excited and nervous but Bell still isn't in camp, I don't like Johnson's offense (particularly the line) and I feel like taking Gurley there is chasing 2017. I thinks the Rams will regress overall and the last RB to repeat as #1 was Priest Holmes 15 years ago.  So #### it GO ZEKE!!!!

I had 4th pick and was pissed when DJ went at 3. I "settled" for Zeke but I have a bad feeling about him this year. 

DJ oline doesn't matter. He's a receiver more than a runner imo and his nose in the goalline is second to none. 

Well gentlemen, I did it.

Got the #1 pick in my 12 team, ppr, super-flex redraft yesterday and I took Zeke over Gurley, Bell, Johnson & Rodgers (super-flex puts a premium on QBs).

Excited and nervous but Bell still isn't in camp, I don't like Johnson's offense (particularly the line) and I feel like taking Gurley there is chasing 2017. I thinks the Rams will regress overall and the last RB to repeat as #1 was Priest Holmes 15 years ago.  So #### it GO ZEKE!!!!
wish I had your cajones. I like Zeke a lot this year, but with the # 1 pick in my 12 team half point PPR league (draft tomorrow), I am taking Gurley. 

wish I had your cajones. I like Zeke a lot this year, but with the # 1 pick in my 12 team half point PPR league (draft tomorrow), I am taking Gurley. 
More power to you but I'm thinking (hoping?) recency bias is shading your decision.

I had 4th pick and was pissed when DJ went at 3. I "settled" for Zeke but I have a bad feeling about him this year. 

DJ oline doesn't matter. He's a receiver more than a runner imo and his nose in the goalline is second to none. 
If I had even one iota of confidence in Bradford's ability to start more than 8 games I would probably agree with you.

Throw in what appears to be the most injury prone offensive line (and an average one under the best of circumstances) in the league and only one other legitimate receiving target and I can't abide that with #1 overall.

Bell was the only other legitimate consideration for me. If he had reported yesterday I would have taken him in a heartbeat.

Taking last year completely out of the equation, and I still think that Gurley should be the top pick. With Zeke # 2.
I don't see anyone honestly taking out last year and coming to the conclusion that Gurley is even top 3. I struggled hard not taking him but that was absolutely looking at 2017.

Users who are viewing this thread