What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Super Bowl game of all-time? (1 Viewer)

Which game was the best SB of all time?

• Super Bowl XLII - Giants 17, Patriots 14

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Super Bowl XLIII - Steelers 27, Cardinals 23

• Super Bowl XLIV - Saints 31, Colts 17

• Total voters

FUBAR

Footballguy
We usually don't appreciate the greatness of the game for a while after it's played but a strong argument can be made for the XLIX to be the best Super Bowl game ever played. At the least it's in the top 10.

In the game thread some people seemed convinced that it isn't close, but let's hear why it wouldn't be.

What do you want your game to include?

HOF QB, perhaps the best of all time.

Two top notch coaches, whom many fans detest.

Young stud QB.

Two top defenses. One could be considered among the best of all time

Two fan bases others love to hate.

Two unknowns showing up big.

A few highlight reel worthy plays including a last (2) minute deep pass and amazing catch.

Winning/losing on the last (real) play of the game.

An "arguably" horrible call to seal the game. (maybe bad calls on each side)

A comeback by the HOF QB against the best defense.

I don't remember being quite as entertained by a game as this one.

What say you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I enjoy seeing an offense win it on a game winning drive, think 06 Rose Bowl which is still the best football game I've seen at any level. Great play by Butler, but the Hawks grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory.

On another note...this SB will win this poll simply due to recency bias.

It is tough to call just one "The greatest ever".... Saying that...

Every time I see/hear someone ask this, the first image that comes to mind is the Rams stopping the Titans at the 1 yard line as time expires.. So went with that one. :thumbup:

Montana>>>Brady. please stop. vinateri won 2 super bowls and Ty law won the1st one with the rest of the defense (oh and the illegal taping of the Rams practices), not brady. this was the first game Brady actually had good stats in.

Montana>>>Brady. please stop. vinateri won 2 super bowls and Ty law won the1st one with the rest of the defense (oh and the illegal taping of the Rams practices), not brady. this was the first game Brady actually had good stats in.
yeah, the kicker had more to do with winning than the QB. Won't argue against Law, fight him and you lose.

Montana leading a textbook game-ending, come-from-behind drive with 3:00 left on the clock, while Bill Walsh repeatedly waves off Joe's desperate attempts to take a TO (later revealed to be because he couldn't breathe).

The Bengals didn't blow it in any sense. They were just unable to stop a legend who for that one drive was operating at his absolute peak.

I'll take that every time over bad coaching or poor QB decision making, even though Browner and Butler made great plays for the D.

Last night's game was a great game, but it ended with an awful play call that's getting more attention than anything else. Kind of a shame that a brutal play call is being analyzed more than Brady's 4th quarter or any of the other big plays, but it is what it is.

Super Bowl 43 (Steelers/Cardinals) had Harrison's 100 yard INT return leading into halftime and Ben hitting Santonio with a brilliant pass AND toe-tapping catch to win the game with 30 seconds left - an offense actually executing a game-winning drive after the Cardinals had taken the lead on a long TD pass to Fitzgerald. I

For me that 1978 Steelers/Dallas Super Bowl was a magical game. That game had it all. And being a young 8 years old that was the first year I truly started watching and becoming hooked on the NFL. That game was amazing.

The 49ers and Bengals II was a game for the ages. Watching Joe Cool bring his team down the field and hit Taylor for the winning TD was a play that will live on in infamy. That drive was executed to perfection.

Last nights 4th quarter was also pretty amazing. Brady brings the team back down 14 to take the lead, Wilson hits an improbable pass with the help of a magical catch, to get his team down to the goaline.....and then an undrafted rookie makes a wonderful play by jumping a slant route to seal a 4th title for Brady.

The Rams/Titans was a game for the ages with the stop at the 1 yard line to win it.

The Patriots improbable 1st Super Bowl win over a far superior Rams team was a great storyline.

The Bills heartbreaking loss to the Giants was a great great game.

The Steelers win over the Cardinals was a heck of a game.

But for me give me the classic Montana drive to win and Bradshaw, Stabauch, Landry, Noll, The Doomsday defense, the Steel Curtian....that game had so many great plays, tackles, catches, plays...my god what a Super Bowl that game was. And that was the last great one for a decade (till we got two fantastic ones in SF/Cincy and Bills/Giants)

I think this depends a bit on Seattle.

If they win another 1 or 2+ Superbowls during the Wilson era we're talking about the aging dynasty against the young dynasty. It's like that Jordan vs Magic finals if the series had been close. If Seattle never wins another then they're a blip in the radar and never what they should have been. I expect Seattle will win at least 1 more during the Wilson era, so I think this one will be remembered as a pretty great game historically.

I can't remember a dynasty vs. dynasty in a Superbowl in my lifetime. Unless maybe Dallas/Buffalo. I'm not sure Buffalo counts. Maybe NYG v. New England? I'm not sure NYG counts as one either.

Best SB was NYG ruining the Pats perfect season with the Tyree helmet catch. Best ending was Titans-Rams, can't get any more dramatic than that last play and even the announcers had to collect themselves afterward and realize the game was over.

:lol: :cry:

Maybe if you keep saying it over and over, you'll at least convince yourself it's true.

Super Bowl XIII Steelers vs Cowboys was the best Super Bowl I've ever seen and I've seen 47 of them.

Bills/Giants was the best in my opinion. Amazing game that came down to the last play, with several HOFers in their primes involved.

If they win another 1 or 2+ Superbowls during the Wilson era we're talking about the aging dynasty against the young dynasty. It's like that Jordan vs Magic finals if the series had been close. If Seattle never wins another then they're a blip in the radar and never what they should have been. I expect Seattle will win at least 1 more during the Wilson era, so I think this one will be remembered as a pretty great game historically.

I can't remember a dynasty vs. dynasty in a Superbowl in my lifetime. Unless maybe Dallas/Buffalo. I'm not sure Buffalo counts. Maybe NYG v. New England? I'm not sure NYG counts as one either.
I'd say XIII - Steelers with Noll and Bradshaw vs. Cowboys with Landry and Staubach, but I was 2 at the time.

I'd say XIII - Steelers with Noll and Bradshaw vs. Cowboys with Landry and Staubach, but I was 2 at the time.
I'm not old enough, but that's definitely one. If it wasn't 40 years ago I bet we'd remember that as the best of all time.

I'm not old enough, but that's definitely one. If it wasn't 40 years ago I bet we'd remember that as the best of all time.
Watch it, that's only 36 years ago! :rant:

jumper said:
Best SB was NYG ruining the Pats perfect season with the Tyree helmet catch. Best ending was Titans-Rams, can't get any more dramatic than that last play and even the announcers had to collect themselves afterward and realize the game was over.
:goodposting:

For the first 28 minutes, I was thinking that this is one of the worst SBs ever.

Wilson going 25 minutes without a completion.

Brady/Pats dinking and dunking us to sleep.

Was there a 15 yard gain in that entire span?

I think the only play I can even remember is the INT Brady threw in the endzone.

From the 2 minute warning on, great game. But a great half a game isn't going to rate as the best SB ever.

This game will be #1 in the shock value category forever. Although I wasn't around for SB III.
By shock value do you mean because of a surprising outcome? The pats have had 2 that are much more shocking in that regard. 07 and 01. If you mean from the ending I still think 07 was crazier. This was a really good game.

Montana leading a textbook game-ending, come-from-behind drive with 3:00 left on the clock, while Bill Walsh repeatedly waves off Joe's desperate attempts to take a TO (later revealed to be because he couldn't breathe).

The Bengals didn't blow it in any sense. They were just unable to stop a legend who for that one drive was operating at his absolute peak.

I'll take that every time over bad coaching or poor QB decision making, even though Browner and Butler made great plays for the D.
Yep and there's the factor of losing Krumrie early to that awful broken leg. It was awesome game even though the result just kills me.

-QG

Lots of great games recently. We have been lucky.

I hate the ####### Steelers but the game they beat Arizona with the Santonio Holmes catch was a great game that hasn't been mentioned.

This game will be #1 in the shock value category forever. Although I wasn't around for SB III.
By shock value do you mean because of a surprising outcome? The pats have had 2 that are much more shocking in that regard. 07 and 01. If you mean from the ending I still think 07 was crazier. This was a really good game.
Meh I guess I contradicted myself by comparing Sunday (which is a more sudden holy #### moment) vs the outcome of a game (like SB III) which is a 3 hour process.

We usually don't appreciate the greatness of the game for a while after it's played but a strong argument can be made for the XLIX to be the best Super Bowl game ever played. At the least it's in the top 10.

In the game thread some people seemed convinced that it isn't close, but let's hear why it wouldn't be.

HOF QB, perhaps the best of all time. Elway vs Favre

Two top notch coaches, whom many fans detest. Shanahan vs Holmgren.

Young stud QB. Favre

Two top defenses. One could be considered among the best of all time Both pack and Bronco D were top 5. Maybe not all-time great, but top notch one the less.

Two fan bases others love to hate. nah...everyone loves Bronco and Packer fans.

Two unknowns showing up big. Not unknowns, but this was the Antonio Freeman/Terrell Davis show.

A few highlight reel worthy plays including a last (2) minute deep pass and amazing catch. How about Elways dive for a 1st down?

Winning/losing on the last (real) play of the game. Broncos scored go-ahead TD with 1:47 left. Favre drove the pack down to the Den 31 before throwing four straight incompletions. I would say that the game came down to the very last play.

An "arguably" horrible call to seal the game. (maybe bad calls on each side) Debatable call where Holmgren let TD score to give Favre time to respond.

A comeback by the HOF QB against the best defense. How about aHoF QB executing a game winning TD drive inside 3:30?

What say you?
suprised XXXII isn't getting more play. See bolded above.

I don't think it is best ever, but I think SB XXXII is up with those mentioned. Elway-Favre, with Elway getting his first win.

ETA: See I was just beaten on mentioning XXXII by a few seconds.

For the first 28 minutes, I was thinking that this is one of the worst SBs ever.

Wilson going 25 minutes without a completion.

Brady/Pats dinking and dunking us to sleep.

Was there a 15 yard gain in that entire span?

I think the only play I can even remember is the INT Brady threw in the endzone.

From the 2 minute warning on, great game. But a great half a game isn't going to rate as the best SB ever.
The Rams/Titans Super Bowl was kinda similar in that regard. First half wasn't a work of art.

HOF QB, perhaps the best of all time. Elway vs Favre

Two top notch coaches, whom many fans detest. Shanahan vs Holmgren.

Young stud QB. Favre

Two top defenses. One could be considered among the best of all time Both pack and Bronco D were top 5. Maybe not all-time great, but top notch one the less.

Two fan bases others love to hate. nah...everyone loves Bronco and Packer fans.

Two unknowns showing up big. Not unknowns, but this was the Antonio Freeman/Terrell Davis show.

A few highlight reel worthy plays including a last (2) minute deep pass and amazing catch. How about Elways dive for a 1st down?

Winning/losing on the last (real) play of the game. Broncos scored go-ahead TD with 1:47 left. Favre drove the pack down to the Den 31 before throwing four straight incompletions. I would say that the game came down to the very last play.

An "arguably" horrible call to seal the game. (maybe bad calls on each side) Debatable call where Holmgren let TD score to give Favre time to respond.

A comeback by the HOF QB against the best defense. How about aHoF QB executing a game winning TD drive inside 3:30?

What say you?
suprised XXXII isn't getting more play. See bolded above.
:goodposting:

Like this past week's Super Bowl, SB32 had some massive momentum swings, in every quarter! I know it's my favorite for nostalgic reasons, but it was just a fantastic game from start to finish (unlike some which had great finishes in games that were otherwise not great - Rams/Titans, Patriots/Rams, etc.).

NFL.com ranked the Top 10 SB finishes as . . .

10 - NYG/BUF

09 - DEN/GB

08 - STL/TEN

07 - SF/CIN (Second Match Up)

06 - NE/STL

05 - NE/CAR

04 - BAL/SF

03 - NYG/NE (First Match Up)

02 - PIT/ARI

01 - NE/SEA

Steelers/Cardinals was a very exciting game with tremendous clutch plays.

However, with some recency bias, I'll give the nod to Seattle/New England. It had drama; two #1 seeds; the biggest 4th quarter comeback; heroes and goats; huge swings in momentum; pitted a great defense against a great offense; a team poised to be the new dominant team against the last dominant team; and a moment for Brady/Belichick to put the finishing stamp on their legacy in the face of the deflation questions.

Even the victory formation was dramatic (Possible safety? Some WWE fun!) Stuff like that doesn't happen in real life.

Part of what makes a great super bowl is when you have two great QBs going at it in a close game.

Peyton Manning vs Brees

Roethlisberger vs Warner

Roethlisberger vs Rodgers

Favre vs Elway

And among all of those, its probably Favre vs Elway.

I'll take Cards/Steelers. I always like to see an offense come from behind and win the game from down. Throw in that toe-tapper by Santonio and that's sauce.

And among all of those, its probably Favre vs Elway.
This is what I came in here to post. Den-GB is a massive omission from the poll.
Probably would include it if I went to 15, but which of the currently listed would you have taken out?
Rams/Titans and Rams/Patriots had great finishes, but neither were what I would call great games.

Also, I wouldn't put Saints/Colts in this discussion at all. Good game, but great? Nah.

I don't think it is best ever, but I think SB XXXII is up with those mentioned. Elway-Favre, with Elway getting his first win.

Looking back I appreciate that game more. But, being a fan of the losing team, it was an awful memory for a long time.

sho nuff said:

Looking back I appreciate that game more. But, being a fan of the losing team, it was an awful memory for a long time.
That's what's tough in ranking these. What the original article says is just someone's opinion. I know I was rooting for the Cards back in that SB, and I hated Pitt for a long time after cause we all knew the Cards weren't gonna be competitive again for a long time after Kurt left. But years later, I can respect that game a lot more. I'm sure the author of the article was rooting for some of the losing teams in the games he mentioned which affected his rankings.

Giants v. undefeated Pats was the greatest SB ever, IMO.

Giants stopped destiny, immortality with that win,David slaying Goliath..the Pats were about to be called the greatest team of all time. G-men put an end to that..and the game was flat-out exciting to watch..

Jets beating Colts is the single most important SB in NFL history - it brought together both leagues..soit would have to rank as one of the top 2-3 SB's ever..

Pitt/Az SB was something to watch! one of the best games I've ever seen. it would've put Warner in rarified air in that he would've won 2 Sb's with 2 different teams..he was superb in this game.

NE/Sea was an incredible game for sure..

I think some of the Championship games were just as good if not better than most Superbowls.

1990-1 game between Giants/Sf, @ SF..Roger Craig fumbled late, fake FG by Giants, etc..

GB/Sea game championship game was incredible.

Gary Anderson's missed chip shot FG game.

Ravens/Pats couple years ago, was it Eddie Royal that caught the ball for a TD, and then had it swiped away as time expired?

this had to be the best postseason ever..so much controversy with the GB/Sea game, Dez' catch, Detroit's non-PI call, etc..plenty of 'what-if's to go around..

That image of the Titans stopping short was one of the most vivid memories for me. The thing is it seemed they were just a magical team that year due to the kickoff return vs Buffalo.

I voted for that one and also this year's game. The only reason this year's game belongs in the greatest games is because of "the call", which imo was actually a good call, but the one in a million chance thing happened.

That image of the Titans stopping short was one of the most vivid memories for me. The thing is it seemed they were just a magical team that year due to the kickoff return vs Buffalo.
No doubt. Especially after that comeback and totally flipping the momentum of play, which St. Louis had dominated for about three quarters.

I voted this year's Super Bowl, though. Carroll going for it with six seconds on the clock instead of kicking a duck. Brady's play. Lynch's running. The excitement of the picks. Just everything. And everything about the last play will go down in football lore. It even includes the coaches on a visceral level. The timeout. The play call. The coaching up of a rookie on that last play. And Lynch, tragically, never getting his chance to cement his own lore and dominance (oh, he'll go down as one of the greatest, regardless. But nothing like he would have if not for another winning touchdown.)

But I'm rambling a bit. Even after a week, I'm still going with this one.

Probably the Dallas/Steelers games were the best as far as talent. Those teams were both dominant, kind of like Lakers/Celtics of the 80's. I will always thank the Steelers for keeping the Cowboys from having two more rings. And the Lynn Swann catch is by far the greatest catch in SB history, Kearse and Tyree were flukes.

I went with Titans/Rams for:

1. The finish (top 2-3 ever); Mike Jones and "The Tackle".

2. The starpower. Rams (greatest show on turf) - Warner, Faulk, Holt, Bruce; Titans (music city miracle) - McNair, George, Mason

3. Kurt F'n Warner - From stocking shelves to throwing for a still record 414 yards and 2 TDs in the SB. That was before the pass interference rules were tightened up; 4000 yard, 40+ TDs seasons were super rare. Warner had attempted 11 passes in 1998 before getting the nod in 1999 as a 28 year old quasi-rookie after Trent Green goes down in the preseason, and aside from a Dan Marino season or two, puts together the finest statistical season for a QB to that point in history. It truly is one of the greatest sports stories I've ever seen and to finish it with a Super Bowl win was the ultimate achievement.

Users who are viewing this thread