What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home-owners...What are your current projects? (3 Viewers)

About to be a homeowner again for the first time in 5 years as a primary residence (owned two rental properties up until last year). Lots of projects. Just dropped getting my garage floor epoxied, which I'm bummed about, but with everything else going on, I just couldn't justify the cost. Having a new carpet put in on the second level and am going to building some exterior stairs from the kitchen nook balcony to the back yard/walk out basement deck. Also need to get some roof repair done and buy a new furnace. Longer term, will be looking to redo at least 2 of the 3 baths including the en suite but that one's a little further out.

Just put a tube into the front tubeless tire on the lawn tractor that was no longer holding air. A little bit of a pita getting that front tire back on the rim.

El Floppo said:
chet said:
El Floppo said:
chet said:
We just redid the deck over our garage. Expensive and big project.

We replaced the range in our kitchen--I got someone to pay $2800 (unbelievable!) for the old one and he gave us a deal on the new one.

Next up is replacing the tile in the entry foyer. I hate what's there now and we are also going to install a heating element below the stone so that the floor will be heard in the winter.

After that, wine cellar in the basement.
Do you remember what product you used to waterproof between the decking and the roof?
No but the original was leaking and had to be replaced. That was an unforeseen expense.
any framing need replacing/sistering?

yeah- any time you open up something like that, you just have to keep your fingers crossed. pretty much true for any time you open up or demo anything. never know what you're going to find.

eta: including this. (close up view)
My kitchen has a low ceiling. Adjoining family, living and dining rooms are open beam. I so want to take out that ceiling but I'm terrified of what I may find up there.

My riding mower broke so Ive been using a landscaping company that does a pretty lousy job of trimming around the trees and steps.stones and only comes on Mondays, but they're only $25!

I think I'm going to work in the yard today. Might even "install" some mulch. ;)

Is $3.58 a sq ft a good price to completely tear out old asphalt and re-pave? Debating and whether I should get additional quotes or just roll with this one.

Is $3.58 a sq ft a good price to completely tear out old asphalt and re-pave? Debating and whether I should get additional quotes or just roll with this one.
That sounds cheap to me. In Nashville I paid $2.50 a sq ft just to have it tore out and removed. My FIL repaved it for me.

Redoing pergo flooring that previous owners installed wrong and ruined with water damage. Ugh...
Not being snooty or snobby but I'm just done with laminate flooring regardless of brand or quality. The pros that helped me with some stained concrete months ago called it paper floors as we tore it out. Stone is affordable and it isn't that hard to install while the upgrade is significant. Carpeting can be pretty nice. Real wood is expensive but worth it because laminates because paper...

Redoing pergo flooring that previous owners installed wrong and ruined with water damage. Ugh...
Not being snooty or snobby but I'm just done with laminate flooring regardless of brand or quality. The pros that helped me with some stained concrete months ago called it paper floors as we tore it out. Stone is affordable and it isn't that hard to install while the upgrade is significant. Carpeting can be pretty nice. Real wood is expensive but worth it because laminates because paper...
Can you put stone on a floor other than a ground floor? I do like that as an alternative.I absolutely hate carpeting - just a personally preference. I would also go completely wood, but I'm a bit of a clutz and would cause a beating to hardwood floors over time. My experience with pergo (installed correctly) is that it is extremely hardy and is decent looking. Definitely not the same aesthetics as real wood, but I have dropped some heavy things on my pergo floors and have never visibly damaged them.

Can you put stone on a floor other than a ground floor? I do like that as an alternative.I absolutely hate carpeting - just a personally preference. I would also go completely wood, but I'm a bit of a clutz and would cause a beating to hardwood floors over time. My experience with pergo (installed correctly) is that it is extremely hardy and is decent looking. Definitely not the same aesthetics as real wood, but I have dropped some heavy things on my pergo floors and have never visibly damaged them.
There's a mastic for applying directly to wood subfloors but I think installing cement backer board first is the right move. I also hate carpeting just not as much as laminates. It's probably just me. I think I did too much laminate 10-15 years ago and it's all ripped out now and the thought of doing more makes me feel icky. It can look fantastic and be a great answer. I'm just done with it.

We had distressed hardwood (engineered) put in and it looked fantastic. And it really did hide dings well.

El Floppo said:
chet said:
El Floppo said:
chet said:
We just redid the deck over our garage. Expensive and big project.

We replaced the range in our kitchen--I got someone to pay $2800 (unbelievable!) for the old one and he gave us a deal on the new one.

Next up is replacing the tile in the entry foyer. I hate what's there now and we are also going to install a heating element below the stone so that the floor will be heard in the winter.

After that, wine cellar in the basement.
Do you remember what product you used to waterproof between the decking and the roof?
No but the original was leaking and had to be replaced. That was an unforeseen expense.
any framing need replacing/sistering?

yeah- any time you open up something like that, you just have to keep your fingers crossed. pretty much true for any time you open up or demo anything. never know what you're going to find.

eta: including this. (close up view)
Kind of like those tales about the Great Wall. Wonder who got his lunch ...

The problem with engineered and laminate floors is spills/water. They don't dry out very well at all. If its a large spill, the laminate NEVER dries due to the plastic or rubber backing and the engineered stuff is essentially press board and swells.

Dude, just go hardwood. What he heck are you dropping all over your house that you're that concerned about it getting damaged? I can't see ever putting done laminate in any room that matters. Maybe a basement playroom or something.

Traffic master vinyl ftw. Stuff is ghetto but I love it. The kids, wife and dog can do whatever they want to it and it doesn't phase it. Cheap, easy to install myself and can take a pounding. That's the trifecta right there people.

My project is I am going to attempt to cut my backyard today. Now understand we have had record setting rain here over the past few weekends including multiple inches of snow last weekend. My backyard currently looks like something from the Amazon rain forest. I am also guessing I will find some new yet previously undiscovered species of creatures as I begin this task. I actually heard a howler monkey this morning.

Luckily my yard is really small, but unluckily for me, my lawnmower sucks big time. Now I have beer, so that is good, but it now appears my weed trimmer is dead, so that is bad. Once I cut this down, I am going to spray it with industrial kill all, so that it good. But it appears I do not have a lot of gas in my gas can, which will necessitate me driving to get some, ergo I cannot drink aforementioned beer, which is bad. Once I finish his task, I have new Sony 4k tv sitting there in the box that I get to wire up and hang--that is good. Last night a violent wind storm took out the side of our fence to include our gate, that is bad.

Pray for me, I am going in.

Demo + replace kitchen cabinets. Replace kitchen faucet and disposal.

Demo + replace backsplash.

Replace under cabinet lighting

Replace master and guest bathroom vanities & bathroom lights.

Welcome to last year for me :hifive: We didn't replace cabinets though....we refinished them.

Just bought a house. We move in next weekend. The basement is already finished and they updated the kitchen as well.

I have to replace the front door system (door and sidelights) and demo and pour a new concrete stoop. While that contractor is out at the house I'm going to have all the windows newly caulked as well. There's some minor siding and trim repair as well. I probably need to fix the stairs to the deck and add a railing along with power washing it and the siding.

Over time I want to do the following:

1. Split rail fence

2. Landscaping/gardens

3. New windows

4. Master bath

5. Hall bath

6. Built ins for family room and add TV above fireplace

7. Replace deck

8. New French doors to deck

Ahhh I am a regular Bob Vila .....back yard cut. Ran over a small ball and a paver stone. I don't think the lawnmower blade liked that. Wow, there were a lot of wasps and they were angry. No monkey sightings but I ruined my shoes. They were white--now I look like a Celtics fan.

TV is prepped and ready to go on the wall. Fixed my daughter's Iphone that she dropped in the toilet two days ago.

Heck, I might go paint something....

Hey heres a random issue/question. in my new house, the sellers left the TV brackets hanging on the walls but did not leave the things that go on the back of the TV. Can I reuse the existing bracket and find the pieces I need? Do I need to remove them and replace with an entire new thing, and if so, can I reuse the exact location and holes?

Try and determine which model it is, if so order a replacement 'TV connection' bracket. Go to bestbuy and Amazon sites, check their most popular ones and see if you can id it by sight of there are no model numbers printed.

Do not use the same holes for the lag screws , that is a bad idea. Worst case, buy a new one and just make new holes, patching is not a big deal whether there are 4 or 8 holes.

Yikes - good luck man - how about some before/after pics?
Will post 'em. Unpacking the cabinets this weekend (yay!) and then having the granite removed ( :( ) and put back on after the cabinets.

Will post 'em. Unpacking the cabinets this weekend (yay!) and then having the granite removed ( :( ) and put back on after the cabinets.
Dumb question, but how do you know the granite is going to fit the new cabinets? Are you having them custom made to make sure they match the old ones exactly?

I have laminate in half my house. Its nice looking, and has held up great so far (2yrs). I got the thick stuff though, so maybe some of the complaints are about the thin stuff.

It has it's pros & con's compared to wood & engineered. The stuff has really come along way.

Dumb question, but how do you know the granite is going to fit the new cabinets? Are you having them custom made to make sure they match the old ones exactly?
The cabinet boxes are going to be the exact same size as what is in place. Not really custom, but we're tweaking a little on the lower cabinets to make them pull out instead of traditional "swinging door" style. The granite removal is making me a bit itchy as the seam is where the sink is and I'm optimistic that the removal & install works w/o buying a big ### slab to replace it

The cabinet boxes are going to be the exact same size as what is in place. Not really custom, but we're tweaking a little on the lower cabinets to make them pull out instead of traditional "swinging door" style. The granite removal is making me a bit itchy as the seam is where the sink is and I'm optimistic that the removal & install works w/o buying a big ### slab to replace it
I wasn't going to say anything about this event, but it will be, by far, the most stressful part of the project. Good luck...hope everything goes ok for you :thumbup:

I have 2.5 acres, a 208 ft squared piece of desert hell. The original house was built in the early 70s. The original builder fenced the entire property with cinder block posts on 8 foot spacing with 2x4 framing and stucco drywall facings. Got it? That's a bizarre fence that probably looked awesome in the 70s. It has/had deteriorated to the point of junk. My southern neighbor offered to split the cost of his side two summers ago, so we did it right with a block wall. I did the front and back with standard 1x6 redwood boards that look great with the old cinder block posts. I haven't done the northern side because the neighbor wouldn't split the cost with me. It looks like hell. We just 'discussed' it in the grocery store.

Who is right?

Me because he gets half the benefit of the new fence and he's enjoyed my fence for 15 years or...

him because it's my piece of crap fence depreciating the neighborhood?

Fwiw, this was resolved today, I'm just curious what you think.

Your fence, your problem. Now, if he has a problem with it, kicking in some money would be the neighborly thing to do but I don't think you can have an expectation that he is obligated to do so.

Yeah, most likely will have a pro do it, but if I could save like 50% doing it myself I'd rather put in the sweat equity.

I'm thinking I'd probably sub out the dig, and have a contractor run gas line for bbq/firepit/pool heater, and have someone do the pour for the pool itself, but I would think I could do the the pebble-tec, tile and ramada myself. Maybe I'm overestimating myself and underestimating how hard it is to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your fence, your problem. Now, if he has a problem with it, kicking in some money would be the neighborly thing to do but I don't think you can have an expectation that he is obligated to do so.
He has a bigger problem with it than I do. That part of my property is just desert. His property sees more value/appreciation from the new fence.

The resolution wasn't an equal split. I tear out the old fencing. He pays to have it hauled off. We split the material cost of more redwood, and I either put it in myself or pay for the labor. Fair enough, I guess. I'll definitely pay a guy with one of these to dig the post holes. On a humorous note to me anyway, I've become proficient tearing out this particular fence. Practice. I got home by 8am and laid that fence down before he got home from whatever he did after the grocery store. I sent him a text, "Fence is out. Get someone to haul it off." :)

I'm exhausted but it was kind of fun and funny too. Off to the beer thread because I've downed five since the demolition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread