What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Are Current Bad Habits You Have That You'd Like To Give Up? (12/30) (1 Viewer)

GordonGekko

Footballguy
VIDEO: A simple way to break a bad habit | Judson Brewer TED Feb 24, 2016

Can we break bad habits by being more curious about them? Psychiatrist Judson Brewer studies the relationship between mindfulness and addiction — from smoking to overeating to all those other things we do even though we know they're bad for us. Learn more about the mechanism of habit development and discover a simple but profound tactic that might help you beat your next urge to smoke, snack or check a text while driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-moW9jvvMr4

VIDEO: 11 Bad Habits That Damage Your Brain Jan 8, 2023

Learn more about the worst things for your brain so you can better support your brain function moving forward. Top things that negatively affect your brain:

1. Chronic exposure to bad news

2. Toxic personalities
3. Spending too much time inside
4. Low-fat, low-cholesterol diets
5. High-grain diets
6. High-sugar diets
7. Low-stress to no stress at all
8. High-stress
9. Snacking
10. Things that decrease gut microbes
11. Consuming grain-fed animal products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kB4DY8cWYk

Direct Headline: The Deadliest Bad Habits in America, Ranked

by Brittany Smith 12/9/20

1. Dietary Risks - Which do you think is more dangerous for the average American: Eating too few vegetables or eating too many sweets? .. diets that include a lot of red meat, sugary foods, and soda pop are the biggest contributors to relatively early deaths worldwide, but it’s the lack of fruits and vegetables that’s really doing us in. The total number of deaths caused by dietary risks in the U.S. is 559,000.

2. Tobacco Smoke - The total number of deaths caused by tobacco smoke in the U.S. is 447,000.... If you smoke 10 cigarettes a day, that’s potentially 10 years off your life....

3. High Systolic Blood Pressure - ... a major risk factor of heart attacks, stroke, and other heart problems....The total number of deaths caused by high blood pressure in the U.S. is 421,000.

4. High BMI - ... if you’re overweight or obese, that definitely increases your risk of heart attack and cardiovascular disease....The total number of deaths caused by high BMI in the U.S. is 335,000.

5. Diabetes - Since a shoddy diet and lazy lifestyle can trigger Type-2 diabetes, make an effort to do everything you can to combat insulin resistance...The total number of deaths caused by diabetes in the U.S. is 246,000.

6. High Cholesterol - ... it’s more typically elevated by poor lifestyle factors. Ready to turn things around? For starters, get off your ***: Exercise can raise levels of “good” HDL cholesterol and lower levels of the “bad” LFL. What’s more, certain foods can lower bad cholesterol, too....The total number of deaths caused by high cholesterol in the U.S. is 174,000.

7. Alcohol and Drug Use - ..... Moderation is your goal—so is choosing the right beverage....The total number of deaths caused by alcohol and drug use in the U.S. is 159,000.

8. Low Physical Activity - ....that starts with moving more. Even if you work out for half an hour, five days a week, you’re not working out long enough for your heart to reap the benefits...The total number of deaths caused by low physical activity in the U.S. is 145,000.

https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/deadliest-bad-habits-america-ranked/

“The secret to permanently breaking any bad habit is to love something greater than the habit.” - Bryant McGill.

"The chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken." - Samuel Johnson

Here is another topic that is designed to increase discussion and participation in the FFA.

What are current "bad habits" in your life that you'd like to change? How long have you had this/these bad habits? How are they impacting your life in a negative way? How did you acquire this bad habit? What opportunities have you lost because of these bad habits? Did any of them cost you relationships with parents, children, family, friends or romantic endeavors? Have you observed someone in your life jettisoning a bad habit, what helped them achieve that? If you have a bad habit you won't change, what is it costing you either financially, emotionally or mentally to hold onto it? If you've overcome a "bad habit", what advice would you give to someone struggling with it right now?

I'll leave this here for others to discuss. (12/30)

I need to be more patient. And stretch/warm-up when I exercise.

And while a couple on your first list aren’t total bunk, that video is chock full of pseudoscientific nonsense. Why anyone trusts a chiropractor for nutritional advice, let alone one who markets multiple supplements, is beyond me.

Drinking everyday. Not a lot, usually just one beer or a couple fingers of whiskey or other booze during the week, two beers when out with friends. I made February dry February. I can honestly say I haven’t felt a LOT better, but I don’t miss drinking either. So I’m not going back to the daily drink. When I told my wife I was stopping drinking for the month she was surprised and said something like “that’s not like you” Which made it really hit home that I should stop. She has never said anything making me think she thinks I have a problem but that comment hit.
Then she asked what I’d do if we went out with friends this month, which we haven’t done. (It’s been a really busy month). Didn’t drink during the SB, made easier by watching the game with our youth group.
The nice thing about not really feeling a huge difference is I don’t feel like I’m screwing myself by drinking a little, but now I don’t feel a need to. There’s temptation for sure, just sitting reading last night with an unopened bottle of four roses next to me, but it remains unopened, with a couple bottles of wine and a six pack left in the pantry.
I’ll probably just limit myself to weekends and a set amount at home a month going forward, while feeling free to drink a beer at our favorite local places.

Drinking everyday. Not a lot, usually just one beer or a couple fingers of whiskey or other booze during the week, two beers when out with friends. I made February dry February. I can honestly say I haven’t felt a LOT better, but I don’t miss drinking either. So I’m not going back to the daily drink. When I told my wife I was stopping drinking for the month she was surprised and said something like “that’s not like you” Which made it really hit home that I should stop. She has never said anything making me think she thinks I have a problem but that comment hit.
Depending on sources some say this amount of drinking is not harmful and may actually have benefits. I wonder why you think a beer a day is a bad thing and should be stopped.

Typically the "drinking problem" becomes when it consumes your life and prevents you from doing things you gotta do. Missing work, family gatherings, getting black-out drunk, etc. Obviously these don't seem to be the issue here so I am wondering what makes you feel this is a problem.

I also have a drink most days. A few more on bowling night or if friends come over for cards. Very rarely does it get to be to a "drunk" stage but that happens occasionally if card night goes deeper into the evening. I can also go days or weeks with nothing and don't really "need" it. It's more of a social engagement than anything else. I don't have any feeling that this is bad or leading me down a bad path so I wonder why you think you need to stop. Just curious more than anything to see if I am way off base with my thoughts.

Definitely weight and diet. Everything else I genuinely think I have very good habits (including regular exercise, but it's not enough to counterbalance my poor diet).

And while a couple on your first list aren’t total bunk, that video is chock full of pseudoscientific nonsense. Why anyone trusts a chiropractor for nutritional advice, let alone one who markets multiple supplements, is beyond me.

As a long time health care professional, and based on your training and experience, what do you see often, in terms of "bad habits" that have massive consequences, that you believe are less spoken about?

Everyone is told over and over, and there is lots of literature / research / advocacy, on "Don't Smoke" and "Exercise Regularly" etc, etc , but what have you seen over time that is probably less known about or less discussed, but is still, in your viewpoint, very important but often overlooked?

Believing Youtube is a credible source.

VIDEO: BREAK THE BAD HABITS - Jordan Peterson's Inspiring Speech Nov 29, 2018

"One of the things I thought about when I was writing was, when you love someone—well, especially when you love someone, you love them not only despite their fragility, but also because of it. And so then, that’s the price you pay for it. It’s like, "Well, they wouldn’t be who they were if they weren’t fragile and limited in their particular way, and the fact that you like to have them around." You think, "Oh, well, I guess you think that fragility and vulnerability is justifiable, then you can’t allow that existence to make you bitter, because you can’t have it both ways, you can’t have them being vulnerable and cute and interesting and small and needing care but striving to develop and grow—you can’t have that without them also being prone to pain and destruction and vulnerability. Take your choice." And then what do you do? Teach them to be strong. That’s what you do. You don’t get rid of the vulnerability. You teach them to be strong. That’s also a theme that runs through the book, in many many ways. You don’t protect your children. In fact, you do the opposite. You expose them to the world as much as you possibly can, and you make them strong. That’s the best antidote to their vulnerability—not to protect them. There’s no protecting people. We already established that. Life’s a fatal game. There’s no protecting people. But you can definitely make them strong, and maybe you can make them strong enough to transcend that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PteHqCy_x8A

I'm quite a bit older than everyone here. In previous times, it was hard to find good information. You had to seek it out and most of the time you needed to pay good money and spend hard earned dollars for expertise and training for things that now, in modern times, are at people's finger tips and that they take for granted.

I like YouTube because it's a compressed way to learn about all kinds of new and interesting things. I enjoy learning. The endless relentless search for more knowledge is how I survived. I was on my own from the beginning. And without adapting based on learning new skills, strategies and tactics, I'd be dead.

You know what's a bad habit to have? Taking learning for granted. Taking all the high speed instant access to knowledge for granted.

Users who are viewing this thread