What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Breshad Perriman, IND (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley observed that first-round pick Breshad Perriman "caught the ball consistently well" at rookie minicamp.

Hensley counted "one bad drop" by Perriman in three practices, and observed Perriman "caught the ball cleanly and looked more at ease pulling in passes than Torrey Smith" during Smith's rookie-year practices. Perriman dropped eight balls in 2014 at UCF. At rookie camp, fourth-round CB Tray Walker "had a rough practice in trying to stay with Perriman" during 1-on-1 drills.

Source: ESPN.com
May 11 - 3:45 PM

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
This guy's size/speed combo is off the charts. And the fact that Ozzie Newsome vouched for him has my attention.

What just because he was an Ozzie pick means he's locked into stardom? Ozzie can't make a mistake? I wouldn't take him til mid 2nd.

Xue said:
Zyphros said:
What just because he was an Ozzie pick means he's locked into stardom? Ozzie can't make a mistake? I wouldn't take him til mid 2nd.
Because his bad hands will cause him to bust? LOL.
I see a lot of difficulties he still has to overcome (I have plenty of doubts he will overcome those) and similar to DGB I wouldn't take them as anything more than a early 2nd. Sure the draft slot is nice, his opportunity is likely 2nd to none, and he's going to a quality organization but there's much safer options for where he's being considered. I'll be risk averse this year take the safer play and be in better shape for the future.

Also just to add, people are talking like since Ozzie picked him he's a sure fire stud... Come on. Even the best NFL scouts make mistakes and pick busts. Perriman could work out, I'm just very hesitant to crown him that "great draft pick" when there's probably 20+ people with a better overall grade. Maybe not to the Ravens but it seemed like a reach at the time.

The thing is, the Ravens had him rated highest almost assuredly. They don't strike me as a team that panics and snags a guy. He was not chosen at the end of a run or something. I don't really care what draftnik or Mayock think. I care where he went in to whom.

I have Perriman, Funchess, and DGB in a dead heat but for different reasons.

Perriman is there right behind Agholor because of his draft position and to a lesser extent his landing spot. Also he's fast as a cheetah. He is on a stable team and will have solid supporting players year in year out.

Funchess is tied with him because he's huge and reminds me of Kelvin Benjamin. Playing alongside Benjamin and Olsen will mean he's not ever getting doubled.

DGB is there on rep and hype. But also because he's just not a player who give me confidence he can stay on the field because of who he is off the field. Athletically he's very close to Funchess. And he's much more highly regarded skill wise. But reports are coming in already that he does not have great football IQ. Strikes me as the classic "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

Xue said:
Zyphros said:
Because his bad hands will cause him to bust? LOL.
I see a lot of difficulties he still has to overcome (I have plenty of doubts he will overcome those) and similar to DGB I wouldn't take them as anything more than a early 2nd. Sure the draft slot is nice, his opportunity is likely 2nd to none, and he's going to a quality organization but there's much safer options for where he's being considered. I'll be risk averse this year take the safer play and be in better shape for the future.
The "safer play"? Who's safer in his draft range?

DGB? No.

Agholor who generates 75% of his perceived value because of the system and coach? A year ago today, Agholor was named Jordan Matthews.

Any of the RBs outside the ones obviously already taken? Coleman isn't a lock. Abdullah isn't. Ajayi (who is really under his range at this point).

I just don't know how you can argue a "safer play" with the guys going in his range so when you say you will be in better shape for the future, I don't know anyone can say that. If he takes the great opportunity he has in front of him and runs with it, I think any of these guys in his group will be hard pressed to make us think we are in better shape.

I think people are catching on to this guy.

In a draft immediately after the NFL draft I saw him go around 18-22 overall.

Now, just 2 weeks later, I don't see him falling past 11 overall.

That's a pretty huge jump for a group of players that most people are still discussing as basically interchangeable. I think people are coming around to understanding the value of the "opportunity" side of this player.

Last edited by a moderator:

DGB? No.

Agholor who generates 75% of his perceived value because of the system and coach? A year ago today, Agholor was named Jordan Matthews.

Any of the RBs outside the ones obviously already taken? Coleman isn't a lock. Abdullah isn't. Ajayi (who is really under his range at this point).

I just don't know how you can argue a "safer play" with the guys going in his range so when you say you will be in better shape for the future, I don't know anyone can say that. If he takes the great opportunity he has in front of him and runs with it, I think any of these guys in his group will be hard pressed to make us think we are in better shape.
I don't see how he can really be argued against over most of the players you mentioned(with Agholor being the exception to me, who I rate pretty equally with him. I supposed I could see an individual falling in love with Abdullah, but I haven't seen him be on the board yet when Perriman was available in the latter part of the 1st in any of the rookie drafts I've done so far anyway).

- He's a deep-route receiver

- He now has an excellent deep-route QB

- He has an OC that will happily air the ball out

- He should have limited competition for early-career reps, with a pathway to a potentially large increase on the horizon due to Steve Smith's advancing age.

Yeah, he has had lapses in concentration at times that lead to drops. Let Smiff give him five across the eyes once for doing that and it'll probably clear right up. :)

DGB? No.

I don't see how he can really be argued against over most of the players you mentioned(with Agholor being the exception to me, who I rate pretty equally with him. I supposed I could see an individual falling in love with Abdullah, but I haven't seen him be on the board yet when Perriman was available in the latter part of the 1st in any of the rookie drafts I've done so far anyway).

- He's a deep-route receiver

- He now has an excellent deep-route QB

- He has an OC that will happily air the ball out

- He should have limited competition for early-career reps, with a pathway to a potentially large increase on the horizon due to Steve Smith's advancing age.

Yeah, he has had lapses in concentration at times that lead to drops. Let Smiff give him five across the eyes once for doing that and it'll probably clear right up. :)
THat's how I see it and, overall, SINCE he goes somewhere with a QB that throws deep well and has a guy like Trestman and Harbaugh there teaching him, I don't worry about the hands. That's teachable. Can teach a guy to catch, even if he's not naturally great at it. You can make him better at it with a technique coaching (that's what coaches are for, just like when they work with a qb and his footwork). But you can't teach his height. You can't teach his speed. You can't teach all that other stuff and the fact that he has the opportunity wide open for him with little standing in his way and Smith getting older, It's a no-brainer to me. And I love the fact he has a vet like Smith there. That guys wants to win. He's motivated. He will make this guy motivated as well.

A few years ago, I went the complete opposite in the draft. I took a flier on Steadman Bailey. Not because he was freakishly athletic or gifted but because he has amazing hands. Catches everything. Well, the opportunity sucked the big suck and now I'm still waiting. So, I guess I'm saying I look at opportunity and the stuff you can't teach a lot more now.

Really liking the 9-12 range this year. Perriman, Abdullah, Funchess, Agholor, and DGB all have the chance to truly make impact.

I think Agholor is a much safer option. He can actually run a much better route tree and has natural hands that catch everything. He translate easy to the NFL, and nobody questions his work ethic so at worst I see a low WR2. I could make a case for a few others like Abdullah and Yeldon that have great opportunity where they seem to have a set role already and even with limited touches in those roles they provide solid RB2 level. With improvement they can catapult. As for Perriman, I see the earliest to take him would be 1.09 (Gurley, Gordon, Cooper, White, Parker, Abdullah, Agholor, Yeldon), and even then I would prefer to trade down, get some guys that are personal favorites, and use the pick that way. I would be much more comfortable in the 12-16 overall range, but not mid 1st.

I think Agholor is a much safer option. He can actually run a much better route tree and has natural hands that catch everything. He translate easy to the NFL, and nobody questions his work ethic so at worst I see a low WR2. I could make a case for a few others like Abdullah and Yeldon that have great opportunity where they seem to have a set role already and even with limited touches in those roles they provide solid RB2 level. With improvement they can catapult. As for Perriman, I see the earliest to take him would be 1.09 (Gurley, Gordon, Cooper, White, Parker, Abdullah, Agholor, Yeldon), and even then I would prefer to trade down, get some guys that are personal favorites, and use the pick that way. I would be much more comfortable in the 12-16 overall range, but not mid 1st.
Ok, I'll play along. Agholor is safer because his head coach shows no hesitation in replacing verified star players with other players on a whim? Before you answer with "he hand-picked this guy", let me introduce you to Jordan Matthews who, a year ago, was in the same place.

They are different guys and MAYBE play a different role, but at the end of the day, if Chip picks 10 guys he likes, 8 of them are going to go hungry in ff.

Overall point being, opportunity is a big thing in ff, granted. But at some point you have to compare the players. Had Agholor went to the Texans, say, this wouldn't even be a discussion. The Eagles "situation" is as stable as nitroglycerin and can change quickly. I think people get caught up in the circus show but aren't really thinking that all these things he does, A) he does them to everyone so nobody is safe and B)he has to win...soon...or there won't be a Chip Kelly in Philly in 3 years when this goldon boy Agholor hits his stride.

To me, the Ravens and Perriman are a MUCH safer option cause the Ravens are steady eddie. Harbaugh isn't going anywhere and Flacco isn't going anywhere. The Eagles and Agholor are relying on Sam Bradford and Mark Snachez and might be onto a rookie next year. Is no one paying attention to that?

Ok, I'll play along. Agholor is safer because his head coach shows no hesitation in replacing verified star players with other players on a whim? Before you answer with "he hand-picked this guy", let me introduce you to Jordan Matthews who, a year ago, was in the same place.

They are different guys and MAYBE play a different role, but at the end of the day, if Chip picks 10 guys he likes, 8 of them are going to go hungry in ff.

Overall point being, opportunity is a big thing in ff, granted. But at some point you have to compare the players. Had Agholor went to the Texans, say, this wouldn't even be a discussion. The Eagles "situation" is as stable as nitroglycerin and can change quickly. I think people get caught up in the circus show but aren't really thinking that all these things he does, A) he does them to everyone so nobody is safe and B)he has to win...soon...or there won't be a Chip Kelly in Philly in 3 years when this goldon boy Agholor hits his stride.

To me, the Ravens and Perriman are a MUCH safer option cause the Ravens are steady eddie. Harbaugh isn't going anywhere and Flacco isn't going anywhere. The Eagles and Agholor are relying on Sam Bradford and Mark Snachez and might be onto a rookie next year. Is no one paying attention to that?
Plus stone hands Torrey Smith caught a ton of TDs last season. There's no way this dude's hands are worse. Plus he's bigger and faster. He may be even able to run better routes (that is yet to be determined though).

Agholor IS perceived as "safer"....and is usually being draft 3-4 spots ahead of Perriman because of it in the rookie drafts I've done so far.

Plus stone hands Torrey Smith caught a ton of TDs last season. There's no way this dude's hands are worse.
It's possible they could be worse....but it'd be an accomplishment, that's for sure.

To be fair, I've had Agholor as my #3 WR this year for some time now. So it's not like I'm catapulting him up for being a 1st round pick.

Rotoworld:

Ravens rookie Breshad Perriman hasn't dropped a pass since rookie camp.

He came into the league with a history of bad drops but has been clean at OTAs. Perriman has the size and speed to replace Torrey Smith on the outside though the more pressing need is at slot receiver. Baltimore receivers caught a league-low 62 passes in the slot last season. The Ravens are confident the first-round pick can fill either role.

Source: baltimoreravens.com
Jun 8 - 12:25 PM

Rotowolrd:

Ravens OC Marc Trestman called first-round pick Breshad Perriman a "quick learner" who has an impressive "understanding of the game."

Perriman has been typecast as a raw, drop-prone, straight-line burner in some circles, but Trestman says that isn't the case. "We really liked what we saw on tape, obviously," said Trestman. "And what we’re getting is a guy who is continually improving. He has a good understanding of the game. He’s not just a fast guy, he’s a smart guy." Per beat writer Aaron Wilson, Perriman's "hands have been solid so far" after he dropped eight passes at UCF last season. Perriman should open the year as the bookend to Steve Smith Sr.

Source: Baltimore Sun
Jun 9 - 1:07 PM

He should have a good understanding of football with his dad being an ex pro.

Love the kid. Have not been able to get him yet. I do have a startup I might be in if it gets off the ground though so he will definitely be a target.

Rotoworld:

Ravens first-round WR Breshad Perriman has been struggling with drops lately at offseason practices.

Coach John Harbaugh came to the rookie's aid, saying Perriman is still trying to put it all together on the field. Reports had been glowing of Perriman recently, but it sounds like he's still viewed as a raw project. Kamar Aiken has been getting some run with the first-team offense in two-wide sets opposite Steve Smith.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Jun 16 - 5:35 PM

i read from the Sun beat reporter that he had 4 drops in one day of minicamp alone. he's definitely a work in progress. meanwhile, Aiken is solid and UDFA deandre carter is impressing.

i read from the Sun beat reporter that he had 4 drops in one day of minicamp alone. he's definitely a work in progress. meanwhile, Aiken is solid and UDFA deandre carter is impressing.
How likely is it that Perriman isn't WR2 for Baltimore this season? Starting to seem like this will be a ugly situation.

Also just to add, people are talking like since Ozzie picked him he's a sure fire stud...
I don't think anyone is saying that but to not pay attention to the moves that some of the "smarter" GMs make would be pretty foolish. Ozzie has a pretty decent track record as a GM and if Perriman was on your radar pre-draft, a guy like Ozzie validating him (in Round 1) is noteworthy.

Does that make him a "can't miss" prospect? Of course it doesn't but to go in the opposite direction and act like it's meaningless because they "all have their misses" is just as naïve as what you are accusing people of doing (i.e. claiming that since Ozzie picked him he's a sure fire stud.)

[SIZE=10pt]@jeffzrebiecsun: Other highlights: Breshad Perriman very good practice. Dropped a couple of yesterday but he's consistently getting open, taking ton of reps
Sent from my iPhone[/SIZE]

Also just to add, people are talking like since Ozzie picked him he's a sure fire stud...
I don't think anyone is saying that but to not pay attention to the moves that some of the "smarter" GMs make would be pretty foolish. Ozzie has a pretty decent track record as a GM and if Perriman was on your radar pre-draft, a guy like Ozzie validating him (in Round 1) is noteworthy.

Does that make him a "can't miss" prospect? Of course it doesn't but to go in the opposite direction and act like it's meaningless because they "all have their misses" is just as naïve as what you are accusing people of doing (i.e. claiming that since Ozzie picked him he's a sure fire stud.)
Ted Thompson also has a good record with wideouts and you have to acknowledge that.

Breshad Perriman, Maxx Williams could start for Baltimore RavensExcerpt:

Why Breshad Perriman could start: The biggest reason Perriman will be given a chance to start immediately is he's the only Baltimore wide receiver outside ofSteve Smith Sr. who can score a touchdown any time he touches the ball. There's a possibility the Ravens will begin the season by startingKamar Aiken or Marlon Brown. But this would happen only if the Ravens don't want to put too much pressure on Perriman, or if the first-round pick doesn't progress as expected this summer. The Ravens used the No. 26 overall pick on Perriman because they needed someone who can replace Torrey Smith's role as a deep threat. At Central Florida last season, Perriman averaged 20.9 yards per catch and 33.1 yards per touchdown. He caught a touchdown in seven straight games. His size (6-foot-2, 212 pounds) and speed (4.25 seconds in the 40-yard dash at his pro day) make him a potential No. 1 receiver. There are concerns about Perriman's hands and his consistency. Still, his speed is the perfect complement to QB Joe Flacco's strong arm. It would be extremely surprising if Perriman doesn't find a spot in the starting lineup at some point this season.

Users who are viewing this thread