What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (8 Viewers)

Lucy

Wasn't really expecting much with this one, but it still disappointed. Horrible ending.

1.5 / 5
there's so many bad comments about this movie that I'm already disappointed and haven't seen it yet. When I saw the previews I was looking forward to being entertained even if the whole thing was implausible.
It was recommended to me and I thought it was okay, but my female co-worker who raved about it made it sound much better than I found it. I thought Limitless pulled off the "mind-expansion" concept much better.
ding, ding. my son, who like lucy, asked me if I liked Limitless. I told him yes, but that this wasn't even close to it.

The Theory of Everything

Wow, what a brutal movie to watch. The first hour was tough to get through just watching him lost so much. The second hour didn't get much better as it was his personal life and not his muscle function that was looked at. I can't imagine living the life he has.

The actor deserved the Oscar. He might even deserve it for the last 50 years of movies.

Did Jane have an affair with Jonathan? Elaine was not portrayed nicely at all in the movie... is she really a female dog or what?

Felicity Jones is top 5 for me. Has been since I saw Like Crazy a few years ago. I will watch whatever she is in. Not sure if she deserved the Oscar or not but she was damn good in this.

5/5... A+... great movie on whatever scale you're using.
The movie is based on Jane's book about Hawking, so no, Elaine is not going to be portrayed very nicely

Furious 7 - 3.5/5

They've done enough of these that going in you already know if you're going to like it or not. You know what to expect. Lots of explosions and loud car noises. I didn't like it as much as the two previous installments but it was good. I think this should be the last one.
without spoiling did they handle the walker role ok?
Yes I thought that was very well done.
:goodposting:

As a :popcorn: movie 4.5 out of 5.. Lot's of fun..many... MANY :rolleyes: parts, but that has come to be expected with the Furious movies now..

As a "regular" action movie.. I'd agree with 3.5.

As for Paul

The whole movie I found myself wondering "Oh crap is this how he goes out" and then he'd survive.

I want to re-watch it now knowing what I know so I can just enjoy the ride and not wonder..

Was VERY happy with how they handled the passing of Paul.. and yea, for some reason my allergy's kicked in right at the end. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Furious 7 - 3.5/5

They've done enough of these that going in you already know if you're going to like it or not. You know what to expect. Lots of explosions and loud car noises. I didn't like it as much as the two previous installments but it was good. I think this should be the last one.
Principal actors are signed to three more movies.

Furious 7 - 3.5/5

Principal actors are signed to three more movies.
I still think it should be the last one.

Boxtrolls - 5/10

Too macabre in some places and too quirky in others it doesn't have a very interesting story either.

I liked Coraline and really liked Paranorman, but this is one I wish I'd have skipped.

There are a couple funny lines, but not worth the effort.

Remember when Vin Diesel and Paul Walker drove around Brazil in a couple Nissan Sentras dragging a bank vault?

Remember that?

...that was awesome.

Remember when Vin Diesel and Paul Walker drove around Brazil in a couple Nissan Sentras dragging a bank vault?

Remember that?

...that was awesome.
I watched a lot of the Fast movies this week and really have mixed reactions on them. I think it might have been you and I who were discussing the series and if they are actually good movies, guilty pleasures, or what. Watching them over the last couple days I would vote that they are barely guilty pleasures, and that 1/2 of them are just bad. I think I like 5 the most, but even that one is next-level stupid. That one just has the best action sequences of the series with the bank vault and the train heist. You can tell in that one that they tried more for a non-CGI look and it really showed. No more bad looking CGI gas tankers rolling across the highway.

I know I am over thinking this ####, but I really want a series to stay within it's parameter's for the most part. The fact that these guys go from low level criminals stealing VCRs and drag racing to getting into shoot outs with Mobsters and Federal agents is too much for this old guy. There had to been a way to keep them mostly just racers and get them involved in different stuff.

I realized after watching several action movies this week that just like my horror movies, I really gravitate to the R action movies. I need some blood/consequences to the action I guess, not having a bus carrying a bunch of people roll over 10 times and get completely destroyed just to have all the inmates live (and of course only one of them escape). If I am not getting the R level action, the movie better be getting the plot and story right. That is possible with PG-13 action movies like I brought up - Bourne movies, MI, Marvel movies, etc.. Fast and Furious series horribly miss the mark on that front.

The Last Stand:

Been wanting to watch this one since I have loved what I have seen out of that director before and was curious how he would transition into the American action scene. This one really felt like The Good, The Bad, and The Weird, but not as good as that. The action was brutal and just what I wanted, but I thought after the big shootout in town the movie really fizzled down the stretch. A corn field car chase didn't do much for me. Barely an average grade. 5/10.

Crank 2:

:lmao:

The Last Stand:

Been wanting to watch this one since I have loved what I have seen out of that director before and was curious how he would transition into the American action scene. This one really felt like The Good, The Bad, and The Weird, but not as good as that. The action was brutal and just what I wanted, but I thought after the big shootout in town the movie really fizzled down the stretch. A corn field car chase didn't do much for me. Barely an average grade. 5/10.

Crank 2:

For someone with excellent taste in movies you sure choose a lot of bad ones.

The Last Stand:

Crank 2:

For someone with excellent taste in movies you sure choose a lot of bad ones.
Due to the sleep deprivation and still having to be up at night with the wee one, i have been picking brainless movies since my mind couldn't handle much else this week.

KarmaPolice said:

Remember that?

...that was awesome.
I watched a lot of the Fast movies this week and really have mixed reactions on them. I think it might have been you and I who were discussing the series and if they are actually good movies, guilty pleasures, or what. Watching them over the last couple days I would vote that they are barely guilty pleasures, and that 1/2 of them are just bad. I think I like 5 the most, but even that one is next-level stupid. That one just has the best action sequences of the series with the bank vault and the train heist. You can tell in that one that they tried more for a non-CGI look and it really showed. No more bad looking CGI gas tankers rolling across the highway.

I know I am over thinking this ####, but I really want a series to stay within it's parameter's for the most part. The fact that these guys go from low level criminals stealing VCRs and drag racing to getting into shoot outs with Mobsters and Federal agents is too much for this old guy. There had to been a way to keep them mostly just racers and get them involved in different stuff.

I realized after watching several action movies this week that just like my horror movies, I really gravitate to the R action movies. I need some blood/consequences to the action I guess, not having a bus carrying a bunch of people roll over 10 times and get completely destroyed just to have all the inmates live (and of course only one of them escape). If I am not getting the R level action, the movie better be getting the plot and story right. That is possible with PG-13 action movies like I brought up - Bourne movies, MI, Marvel movies, etc.. Fast and Furious series horribly miss the mark on that front.
They just released a box set of the complete series of Fast and Furious movies.

Fast and Furious: The Laws of Physics Can Go #### Themselves!

The Babadook:

Overall, I really loved this one, but the last 15mins or so of the movie really left a bad taste in my mouth. It is a different type of horror movie - maybe we need to coin a new term for it - "parent horror"? I think the beauty in the movie is the feeling of being trapped with these two and as a parent feeling some of the things that the mother is going through. I think the closest thing this comes to is a Polanski movie - think Rosemary's Baby and Repulsion. I was as tense as I have been watching a movie for a long time, but I don't think I was scared, mostly because:

This wasn't very subtle in it's handling of the themes. Basically the movie can just be read as a mother dealing with grief and the overwhelming pressure of having a 'trouble' kid. I assume that she wrote the book, and it is basically just her trying to keep the "monster" at bay as she deals with her problems
I really do think this movie works on several levels and can be read a few ways, and that always gets bonus points. Also, the book was way creepy and I wish it would have been used even more during the movie. Damn good movie overall, but wish it would have stuck the landing a little better. 7.5/10

Big Eyes:

Despite this one having 2 of my favorite actors in it (Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz), this was one really dull movie. It really felt like they were acting in two different movies. Waltz was really hamming it up (maybe being Burton's fill in for Depp?) and Adams seemed to be in a more serious movie. Also, I know it was a different era, but I was really tired of Adams' doormat character by about 1/2 way into the movie. I had hopes that Burton could deliver with this one, but was sadly mistaken. 4/10.

I have no desire to watch any of his quirky Johnny Depp movies anymore, and now I know I can just avoid his movies altogether.

The Babadook:

Overall, I really loved this one, but the last 15mins or so of the movie really left a bad taste in my mouth. It is a different type of horror movie - maybe we need to coin a new term for it - "parent horror"? I think the beauty in the movie is the feeling of being trapped with these two and as a parent feeling some of the things that the mother is going through. I think the closest thing this comes to is a Polanski movie - think Rosemary's Baby and Repulsion. I was as tense as I have been watching a movie for a long time, but I don't think I was scared, mostly because:

This wasn't very subtle in it's handling of the themes. Basically the movie can just be read as a mother dealing with grief and the overwhelming pressure of having a 'trouble' kid. I assume that she wrote the book, and it is basically just her trying to keep the "monster" at bay as she deals with her problems
I really do think this movie works on several levels and can be read a few ways, and that always gets bonus points. Also, the book was way creepy and I wish it would have been used even more during the movie. Damn good movie overall, but wish it would have stuck the landing a little better. 7.5/10

Big Eyes:

Despite this one having 2 of my favorite actors in it (Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz), this was one really dull movie. It really felt like they were acting in two different movies. Waltz was really hamming it up (maybe being Burton's fill in for Depp?) and Adams seemed to be in a more serious movie. Also, I know it was a different era, but I was really tired of Adams' doormat character by about 1/2 way into the movie. I had hopes that Burton could deliver with this one, but was sadly mistaken. 4/10.

I have no desire to watch any of his quirky Johnny Depp movies anymore, and now I know I can just avoid his movies altogether.
I keep reading good things about The Babadook. I will have to watch that one.

Wild Tales - 2015 Oscar nominee for best Foreign Picture. Solid A :thumbup:

Six short films not tied together, all about various forms of revenge.

I ranked them in this order.

1. Gabriel Pasternak

2. The Wedding

3. Car Fight

4. Dynamite

5. Restaurant

6. Son killing pregnant woman.

It is subtitled, but so worth it

"Woman in Gold"

We saw this over the weekend. Nothing out of the ordinary about it, other than it is based on a true story. Mildly entertaining.

Good story, but a forgettable movie.

I enjoyed the documentary "The Rape of Europa" much more.

On The Rocks said:
"Woman in Gold"

We saw this over the weekend. Nothing out of the ordinary about it, other than it is based on a true story. Mildly entertaining.

Rape Of Europa was outstanding. My wife still talks about how good it was.

On The Rocks said:
"Woman in Gold"

you going around talking about your Klimt again?

St. Vincent

It's Bill Murray being Bill Murray but with less funny, more drama. If you like him you'll like the movie, but it's a downer. He's quite the curmudgeon. The ending is nice and saves it IMO, moderate thumbs up. 3/5 stars.

I wasn't looking forward to Theory of Everything and it lived up to that expectation. Very good performance but overall a somewhat forgettable film. 2.5/5

St. Vincent

It's Bill Murray being Bill Murray but with less funny, more drama. If you like him you'll like the movie, but it's a downer. He's quite the curmudgeon. The ending is nice and saves it IMO, moderate thumbs up. 3/5 stars.
I just watched this last night, and you are more generous with the score than I am. I think Watts as a pregnant Russian prostitute was one of the worst things I saw on film last year. Just terrible. In general, I just felt as though just about everything was too much and wasn't able to reign itself in: from Murray's situations to Oliver's teacher. Also felt like Murray had two different voices in the movie- seemed like he started with a deeper, gruff voice, but would slip into his normal voice every once in awhile. I liked the kid, liked Murray maybe half the time, but I think McCarthy was the surprise of the movie (and she was the reason I didn't want to see it to begin with). If you couldn't tell, not a fan of the movie. 4/10

The Myth of the American Sleepover:

I heard one of the guys on the Filmspotting podcast mention this one. It is the first movies by the director of the new horror movie It Follows. Thought it was one of the better "teen" movies I have seen in awhile. Follows a group of High Schoolers on the last weekend of the summer. Felt a bit like a Linklater movie- realistic characters and situations, good dialogue, etc.. 6/10

Manchurian Candidate:

Finally going to get around to crossing some off my "embarrassed that I haven't seen these yet" list of movies. Damn good movie. Since I only knew her from her TV show, I was really surprised by Lansbury's performance. This one really delivered. 8.5/10

The Orphanage:

Had seen this one before, but wanted to confirm that it is probably the best horror movie of the last 15 years or so. It is. 9/10

Brokeback Mountain:

Again, I had seen it, but wanted to confirm my thoughts that it was one of the better movies of the 00s. Might have liked it even more this time around. Their relationship had more subtlety than I remember, the supporting performances were better than I remember, and the movie and scenery was as gorgeous as I remember. Just a beautiful movie all around. 9/10

On The Rocks said:
"Woman in Gold"

you going around talking about your Klimt again?
He owns a Klimt? Party at his house tonight!

St. Vincent

I just watched this last night, and you are more generous with the score than I am. I think Watts as a pregnant Russian prostitute was one of the worst things I saw on film last year. Just terrible. In general, I just felt as though just about everything was too much and wasn't able to reign itself in: from Murray's situations to Oliver's teacher. Also felt like Murray had two different voices in the movie- seemed like he started with a deeper, gruff voice, but would slip into his normal voice every once in awhile. I liked the kid, liked Murray maybe half the time, but I think McCarthy was the surprise of the movie (and she was the reason I didn't want to see it to begin with). If you couldn't tell, not a fan of the movie. 4/10
And she got a Golden Globe nominee for that crap?? :loco:

I heard one of the guys on the Filmspotting podcast mention this one. It is the first movies by the director of the new horror movie It Follows. Thought it was one of the better "teen" movies I have seen in awhile. Follows a group of High Schoolers on the last weekend of the summer. Felt a bit like a Linklater movie- realistic characters and situations, good dialogue, etc.. 6/10

Manchurian Candidate:

Finally going to get around to crossing some off my "embarrassed that I haven't seen these yet" list of movies. Damn good movie. Since I only knew her from her TV show, I was really surprised by Lansbury's performance. This one really delivered. 8.5/10

The Orphanage:

Had seen this one before, but wanted to confirm that it is probably the best horror movie of the last 15 years or so. It is. 9/10

Brokeback Mountain:

Again, I had seen it, but wanted to confirm my thoughts that it was one of the better movies of the 00s. Might have liked it even more this time around. Their relationship had more subtlety than I remember, the supporting performances were better than I remember, and the movie and scenery was as gorgeous as I remember. Just a beautiful movie all around. 9/10
Brokeback a 9/10....

Manchurian Candidate:

The Orphanage:

Brokeback Mountain:

Brokeback a 9/10....
? You disagree?

KarmaPolice said:
Master and Commander was a lot better than I expected. :thumbup: 7/10
I love this movie because I love the subject matter and they did that very well. There are things that could have been done a little better but overall this is an underrated flick and always worth an unplanned watch.

KarmaPolice said:
Weeber said:

Manchurian Candidate:

The Orphanage:

Brokeback Mountain:

Brokeback a 9/10....
? You disagree?
I gave it two dongs up.

KarmaPolice said:
I love this movie because I love the subject matter and they did that very well. There are things that could have been done a little better but overall this is an underrated flick and always worth an unplanned watch.
Peter Weir, right? Has he done a bad movie?

KarmaPolice said:
Peter Weir, right? Has he done a bad movie?
Green Card?
oof. that was him?

eta: just did la google. Mosquito Coast was a bit... uneven.

eta2: but the rest of his catalogue is pretty consistent and good. also a bit under-rated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gallipoli is another one of my all time favorites. Actually saw it in the theater as a kid (11 when it came out) have absolutely no idea what it was about and being absolutely enthralled.

Gallipoli is another one of my all time favorites. Actually saw it in the theater as a kid (11 when it came out) have absolutely no idea what it was about and being absolutely enthralled.
:hifive: I saw it in the theater as a kid too and loved it.

Only saw Picnic at Hanging Rock recently- also pretty amazing. I think Last Wave is my favorite of his... but they're all good (f-u Green Card). Fearless and Truman are right up there for me- both pretty under-rated, especially the former, IMO.

Hard Times

Charles Bronson as a bare knuckle fighting hobo during the depression who meets james coburn and drama and action ensues

10 / 10

Watching 22 jump st again...

the whole 15 minutes from when ice cube finds out his daughter is dating Jonah Hill to when Tatum finds out in the precinct is just :lmao:

Going to see Blade Runner: The Final cut on a big screen Thursday :popcorn:

It's playing in a double feature with Metropolis, but BR is the movie I'm geeked about seeing again.

Saw A Most Violent Year

A well done, interesting film about an honest businessman with a lot at stake, trying to get the big deal done while under extreme pressure. What methods will he resort to?

It's playing in a double feature with Metropolis, but BR is the movie I'm geeked about seeing again.
Really? I'm guessing that Metropolis is the restored version so I would love to see that on the big screen.

Really? I'm guessing that Metropolis is the restored version so I would love to see that on the big screen.
BR is a top 3 for me- but I'm a bit burned out on all the cuts. I saw the director's cut (without the voiceover) when they first rereleased it... wow- a long time ago. unless Jar-jar shows up, I'm not sure what else there is to add.

Users who are viewing this thread