Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Memphis Foundry

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Headed to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood tonight- I will give you a full report. 

I'm guessing it'll be akin to "some characters weren't what they appeared to be and the plot was resolved in an orgy of violence".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The General said:

Got tix Sat. First movie in the theater in prolly 6 months.

First new movie I've seen in a theater in a bit- since The Post or Dunkirk- whaever was more recent. I figure as much #####ing as I do about all the Marvel and Disney movies I should support the big releases like this. I was happy to see AMC theaters just started this Artisan films program where their goal is to bring a curated collection of quality "adult" films to wide releases.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I'm guessing it'll be akin to "some characters weren't what they appeared to be and the plot was resolved in an orgy of violence".

That's quite likely given the story matter. Most of what I have read so far say it's up there with the best movies he has made so I am optimistic even if I am not always his biggest fan. Leo and Brad Pitt on the screen together should be exciting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

First new movie I've seen in a theater in a bit- since The Post or Dunkirk- whaever was more recent. I figure as much #####ing as I do about all the Marvel and Disney movies I should support the big releases like this. I was happy to see AMC theaters just started this Artisan films program where their goal is to bring a curated collection of quality "adult" films to wide releases.  

oh- cool. I've never seen porn in a theater like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

I'm guessing it'll be akin to "some characters weren't what they appeared to be and the plot was resolved in an orgy of violence".

and there will be talking. oh yes, there will be talking. especially from the most unhinged characters

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

oh- cool. I've never seen porn in a theater like that.

Funny fact but a porno was the 4th high grossing film of 1972, Behind the Green Door made $50 million finishing one spot ahead of Deliverance and 1 spot behind the Barbara Streisand screwball comedy Whats Up Doc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Osaurus said:

I’m 47 minutes in and your assessment is spot on 

1st half >>>>>>>>> 2nd half. 

ETA: I see The General post the same. 

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 8:28 PM, KarmaPolice said:

Apocalypse Now:

Finished another rewatch and this is definitely on my list of movies that I love more as I get older and the more times I watch it.  I am sure learning more about the making of the movie adds to that love as well.   I am not sure how many movies would be on a list like that (like more and get more out on each rewatch), but There Will Be Blood and Apocalypse Now are two that come to mind right away.  

80s said that this is coming to theaters this fall with a version 1/2 way be between the original theatrical cut and the Redux?  I am going to try to seek that out and watch it on the big screen.  

Would LOVE to see this on the big screen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Headed to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood tonight- I will give you a full report. 

Seeing it tonight as well :hifive:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Same thing here. I’ve never been to one so maybe I’ll give it a shot.

I hate the ones in the main theater, and avoid them at all costs.  Theater experience is iffy enough with people eating popcorn and candy, but having service staff coming in to drop off a pizza is a bridge too far for me.  The place that is showing AN is even more of a restaurant than theater.  I am going to have to think long and hard about this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will look for the reviews on Once Upon a Time.  I have off on $5 Tuesday, so might be able to be talked into seeing it if there are good reviews.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My initial thoughts on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

1. Absolutely hilarious and so quotable 

2. It’s missing most of the things I dislike about QT (sexism, most of the racism, totally over the top violence, characters that aren’t what they seem)

3. It’s a really fun movie, perfect to have a drink or two and catch at the theater. Brad and Leo are what movies are made for

4. Incredible how 1969 LA is captured. It looks and sounds impeccable 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

My initial thoughts on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

1. Absolutely hilarious and so quotable 

2. It’s missing most of the things I dislike about QT (sexism, most of the racism, totally over the top violence, characters that aren’t what they seem)

3. It’s a really fun movie, perfect to have a drink or two and catch at the theater. Brad and Leo are what movies are made for

4. Incredible how 1969 LA is captured. It looks and sounds impeccable 

Did it drag with the nearly 3 hour run time? I'm hoping it's not as dragged out as Hateful 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. Mojo said:

Did it drag with the nearly 3 hour run time? I'm hoping it's not as dragged out as Hateful 8.

Not at all. It was a blast. I want to see it again- probably will next week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

My initial thoughts on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

1. Absolutely hilarious and so quotable 

2. It’s missing most of the things I dislike about QT (sexism, most of the racism, totally over the top violence, characters that aren’t what they seem)

3. It’s a really fun movie, perfect to have a drink or two and catch at the theater. Brad and Leo are what movies are made for

4. Incredible how 1969 LA is captured. It looks and sounds impeccable 

How many times was the N-word used?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

How many times was the N-word used?  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Incredible how 1969 LA is captured. It looks and sounds impeccable 

I've read that Kurt Russell (who was an eighteen year-old Disney actor at the time) was QT's official "authenticator" of the period, down to the last detail. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The TCM lineup today is fire today but it includes at 6:00 the @wikkidpissah favorite The Year of Living Dangerously

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

The TCM lineup today is fire today but it includes at 6:00 the @wikkidpissah favorite The Year of Living Dangerously

 

my favorite movie trope - love v. conflict. the more largely-writ the history, the more intimate the romance. if not the best of '82 (Gandhi, ET, Sophie et al), my favorite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched "The Farewell" last night with the wife. It's a nice little film that has a pretty clear idea of what it wants to do. Akwafina is just fine in the nominal lead. A ambitious film might go for a madcap story but this stays in its lane. The acting is nice and mannered for its story. The grandmother is fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 12:47 AM, whoknew said:

Uncle Buck 100% stands the test of time. Great movie.

“Here’s a quarter...”

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 12:47 AM, whoknew said:

Uncle Buck 100% stands the test of time. Great movie.

Never seen it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

Any interest in old gangster flicks?

How many here have seen the original Scarface?

For sure. If we are looking at the big 3, I would rank them Scarface>Public Enemy>Little Caeser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

For sure. If we are looking at the big 3, I would rank them Scarface>Public Enemy>Little Caeser

How about White Heat?

 

saw it in the past week for the umpteenth time

Edited by The Man With No Name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Never seen it

 

“I’m Buck Melanoma uncle Moley’s Wart”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

How about White Heat?

 

saw it in the past week for the umpteenth time

It’s even better than those 3- Cagney had such a presence 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

Any interest in old gangster flicks?

How many here have seen the original Scarface?

I was lucky. A 50s kid like meself only ever saw grownup movies from among what was on the Dialing for Dollars movie on TV each afternoon. Our local station must have had some contract w Warner Bros cuz the afternoon picture was always either a gangster, historical or Bette Davis picture, Warner's 3 specialties.  Even as a 6yo, i knew that Scarface, Caesar, Public Enemy were primitive. Scarface was the best-made of the three but, by the time i got to appreciate the dif, i couldn't stand to watch Paul Muni onscreen anymore. Muni was the Johnny Depp of his time - a fetish actor who was fascinating til he wasnt. He was always playing a historical character of some kind Zola, Benito Juarez, Louis Pasteur, Capone i guess and i found those kind of inhabitations interesting for a time but, 2nd time around it was total wtf. My favorite gangster breakout was Bogie in Petrified Forest. It was 3-4 yrs after the others and Warners had its legs making gangster pix by that time. Cagney was a god for an Irish kid - his every affectation was hot & cool & mean all at once. I especially loved his flix w the Dead End Kids - Dead End (w Bogie, too) and Angels w Dirty Faces and his rise & fall movies like City For Conquest and Roaring Twenties. An utterly glamorous pug - dongitnobettah

14 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

How about White Heat?

 

saw it in the past week for the umpteenth time

most people group WH w Cagney's other gangster pictures but dont realize it was made almost 20 yrs after Public Enemy - 1949 v. 1931. Punk is eternal, i guess

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mario Kart said:

Booksmart

Pretty good and funny.

it's funny but it's also a throwaway comedy. nice change of pace from big budget, CGI wankfests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Muni is a strange case. He had to be one of the most well respected actors of his time. Best Actor for playing Louis Pastuer (and 3 other Best Actor nominations), a Tony for Inherit the Wind, was a method actor before that was a thing and like Lon Cheney was a master with make-up. Yet his name is almost completley forgotten by everyone except old film fanatics and other than Scarface, his popular films like Life and Times of Emile Zoa and I was a Fugitive on a Chain Gang have gone out of favor. Despite a 25 year career when most actors cranked out several movies a year, he was only in 29. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paddington - Loved it!

What could have been stupid ends up being totally endearing and genuinely funny. I LOL'd more times than I can recently recall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Paddington - Loved it!

What could have been stupid ends up being totally endearing and genuinely funny. I LOL'd more times than I can recently recall. 

I've only seen Paddington 2- and I genuinely liked it. like a 12/10 on your scale.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 8:18 PM, Ilov80s said:

My initial thoughts on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

1. Absolutely hilarious and so quotable 

2. It’s missing most of the things I dislike about QT (sexism, most of the racism, totally over the top violence, characters that aren’t what they seem)

3. It’s a really fun movie, perfect to have a drink or two and catch at the theater. Brad and Leo are what movies are made for

4. Incredible how 1969 LA is captured. It looks and sounds impeccable 

Tarantino known for heavy violence, but his characters are always my favorite aspect of his films - and this one did not disappoint. Pitt and DiCaprio are excellent together in Once, and the supporting cast was great top to bottom. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 1:42 PM, KarmaPolice said:

Dammit, you sucked me in.  Just purchased: Blue Velvet, Days of Heaven, Seven Samurai, and Silence of the Lambs.  

Jealous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 8:38 PM, Mario Kart said:

Booksmart

Pretty good and funny.

This movie stole a lot from Comedy Central's hilarious show Broad City. But still, I did enjoy it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 11:10 AM, Don Quixote said:

August around the corner had me looking ahead to TCM's Summer Under the Stars lineup.  I may need to clear out the DVR to make some room.

It kicks off Thursday with a bang: Henry Fonda. There’s 4 movies I would consider classics: Young Mr. Lincoln, Grapes of Wrath, The Lady Eve and 12 Angry Men.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

It kicks off Thursday with a bang: Henry Fonda. There’s 4 movies I would consider classics: Young Mr. Lincoln, Grapes of Wrath, The Lady Eve and 12 Angry Men.

I was checking to see what to DVR, and these three jumped out at me, as well as Mister Roberts.  I'm a bit behind on my Henry Fonda.   My DVR is going to fill up quick this month.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

I was checking to see what to DVR, and these three jumped out at me, as well as Mister Roberts.  I'm a bit behind on my Henry Fonda.   My DVR is going to fill up quick this month.

 

Mister Roberts is pretty good. Henry Fonda, James Cagney, Jack Lemmon and William Powell might be the greatest 4 leads ever assembled but it’s not as good as the sum of its parts. The Lady Eve is a comedy I could watch over and over again. Young Mr. Lincoln is really charming and The Grapes of Wrath is on the short list for best American movies ever made.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Mister Roberts is pretty good. Henry Fonda, James Cagney, Jack Lemmon and William Powell might be the greatest 4 leads ever assembled but it’s not as good as the sum of its parts. The Lady Eve is a comedy I could watch over and over again. Young Mr. Lincoln is really charming and The Grapes of Wrath is on the short list for best American movies ever made.

Murderers Row there. Powell is probably my favorite of the bunch. I loved "My Man Godfrey" but his Thin Man films are pitch perfect for what they are. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, saintfool said:

Murderers Row there. Powell is probably my favorite of the bunch. I loved "My Man Godfrey" but his Thin Man films are pitch perfect for what they are. 

Murderers' Row was the 2nd Matt Helm movie starring Dean Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 hours of Brando tomorrow on TCM starting at 6 am. Julius Caesar, Reflections in a Golden Eye, The Fugitive Kind, Morituri, Mutiny on the Bounty, Streetcar Named Desire, On the Waterfront, The Wild One, Guys & Dolls, A Dry White Season, The Freshman. I was hoping - since the network doesnt censor - they might take a chance on my favorite Brando performance in Last Tango in Paris (which i havent seen in a while, tho i listen to the soundtrack regularly) but......

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

24 hours of Brando tomorrow on TCM starting at 6 am. Julius Caesar, Reflections in a Golden Eye, The Fugitive Kind, Morituri, Mutiny on the Bounty, Streetcar Named Desire, On the Waterfront, The Wild One, Guys & Dolls, A Dry White Season, The Freshman. I was hoping - since the network doesnt censor - they might take a chance on my favorite Brando performance in Last Tango in Paris (which i havent seen in a while, tho i listen to the soundtrack regularly) but......

thought for sure that last movie mentioned was going to be his tour-de-force performance in island of dr moreau (where he apparently had his lines written directly on the extras)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

24 hours of Brando tomorrow on TCM starting at 6 am. Julius Caesar, Reflections in a Golden Eye, The Fugitive Kind, Morituri, Mutiny on the Bounty, Streetcar Named Desire, On the Waterfront, The Wild One, Guys & Dolls, A Dry White Season, The Freshman. I was hoping - since the network doesnt censor - they might take a chance on my favorite Brando performance in Last Tango in Paris (which i havent seen in a while, tho i listen to the soundtrack regularly) but......

I wonder if they just don’t want to touch it due to how Schneider felt like she was mislead, abused and neglected by Brando and Bertolucci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I wonder if they just don’t want to touch it due to how Schneider felt like she was mislead, abused and neglected by Brando and Bertolucci

#metoo crap, far as i can tell. if it developed into Brando getting pegged, he woulda been "just dont let em see my gut".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

#metoo crap, far as i can tell. if it developed into Brando getting pegged, he woulda been "just dont let em see my gut".

Maybe but I think she complained about how the scene was done and how it made her feel a full decade or more before the Metoo thing took off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Maybe but I think she complained about how the scene was done and how it made her feel a full decade or more before the Metoo thing took off. 

dont matter when, my friend. matters if. you sign on for Paris sex drama w Brando & Bertolucci, you sign on. come what may. plenty victimhood & courageous journeys on casting couches & hotel suites, to be sure, but this is like telling producers of a Western you could ride for a part and suing for getting thrown

ETA: And i partied in NYC same time Ms Schneider did and she werent complaining when it all was getting her the right tables

Edited by wikkidpissah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.