What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

Larry Olivier day on TCM. You havent seen movie Shakespeare until youve seen Olivier movie Shakespeare. Henry V @ 2:45p, Hamlet @ 5:15. Watch one (i prefer H5), dont watch b2b or your head will splode
Also The Entertainer at midnight. One of my favorite performances by Olivier as a washed up vaudeville performer scheming to keep his career going. 

Also The Entertainer at midnight. One of my favorite performances by Olivier as a washed up vaudeville performer scheming to keep his career going. 
i woke up to him in a 1938 romcom in color w ODeHavilland and realized how much of his unprecedented reactive array resembles that of a millenial. seriously - he was specialty whiskers & a scarf from being a Brooklyn mead sommelier

Larry Olivier day on TCM. You havent seen movie Shakespeare until youve seen Olivier movie Shakespeare. Henry V @ 2:45p, Hamlet @ 5:15. Watch one (i prefer H5), dont watch b2b or your head will splode
Thanks for the heads-up. Just set both to record, as well as Wuthering Heights.

I was just watching some Olivier in Rebecca for 40s judging the other day (it does not look like on today though). 

Great book too,  "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderly again." Not sure why that opening line and the fact we never get the name of the narrator and main character all work so well but it does. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched an odd mix of 5 movies over the last couple days with mixed results:

The Bicycle Thieves, Sisters, Lady Snowblood, American Graffiti, and After Midnight.  

Will try to get through 1 or 2 more today.  

The Bicycle Thieves, Sisters, Lady Snowblood, American Graffiti, and After Midnight.  

Make sure to let us know your thought on these movies.

Daughter just finished reading the first book, so we watched the Artemis Fowl movie on Disney. A mess in terms of telling the story- a kids story- and casting the lead. Only going to recommend this of your kid was a giant fan of the book(s?). Otherwise...nope.
Good book, movie looks awful.

What did you think of Bicycle Thieves and Lady Snowblood? I loved one and didn't care for the other. 

Elmer Gantry- great movie, Lancaster is incredible as a drunken, womanizing evangelist. This deserves classic status IMO.

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown- really funny comedy with an artist's touch, seeing Antonio Banderas so young and playing such a wimp is fun

Mr. Mojo said:
Make sure to let us know your thought on these movies.
Alright, @Mr. Mojo   :P

The Bicycle Thieves:   Loved this one.   Such a simple premise but a beautiful movie.  Really liked the kid too, and the way the movie ended was perfect.  

Lady Snowblood:   I think I have seen this movie movie before, and probably had a similar comment - the more movies like this I see, the less I seem to like Tarantino.  The movie itself was only OK and a little hard for me to finish.  Mostly I just thought about how much he rips off, but probably gets away with it because a lot of the movies he uses is stuff like this that a lot of people probably haven't seen  

Sisters:  Some early DePalma that had some great tense scenes and a great score.  Afterward it had me thinking about why he gets a pass trying to do his Hitch thing, but QT doesn't from me.  I was entertained throughout.  

American Graffiti:  Another I thought was decent, but like I posted in the other thread I couldn't shake the discussion about the "teen" movies, and I will fully admit that might have clouded my take on this one.  We all bring baggage to our movie experiences and I guess 2 nights ago mine was a slight fake movie draft beef.  :lol:  

After Midnight:   I am still not sure WTF I watched here.   Guy's girl leaves him out of the blue, and he slowly seems to lose it while a weird monster also starts trying to break into the house?    I think I was expecting more of a horror movie, but got a relationship movie.  That was fine because I actually like what was there as far as what they were going through and the scenes between them.  An odd one that kept popping up on my stream suggestions so I thought I'd give it a try.  

Then last night was a Dirty Harry night.   I know I've seen the first one a few times, and I am pretty sure my dad took me to Dead Pool as one of my first R movies, but don't think I've seen any others, and honestly don't remember Dead Pool.  They are on HBO, so I thought I would slowly watch that series in between other stuff as a break.  

As far as my enjoyment I would probably go:  Bicycle Thieves............ Dirty Harry...Sisters, After Midnight, American Graffiti (want to try this one again based on comments in the draft thread and getting over the "teen" part)................ Lady Snowblood.  

KarmaPolice said:
I feel like I "get" Waititi about as much as I do Wes.  
I made it about 45 minutes through JoJo. I didn't delete it but not sure when I'll get back to it.

I'm hit or miss on Wes Anderson. Some I love, some totally lose me. I think it's really just what kind of mood you are in when you watch them.

I made it about 45 minutes through JoJo. I didn't delete it but not sure when I'll get back to it.

I'm hit or miss on Wes Anderson. Some I love, some totally lose me. I think it's really just what kind of mood you are in when you watch them.
That's about how long I made it too.  I didn't really find the vampire movie to be too funny either.   I do like a couple of Wes' early movies, but nothing much past the first few.   Just not my humor, I guess.  

That's about how long I made it too.  I didn't really find the vampire movie to be too funny either.   I do like a couple of Wes' early movies, but nothing much past the first few.   Just not my humor, I guess.  
I didn't know the same guy directed What We Do in the Shadows. I love the TV show but haven't seen the movie yet. 

Appears to be a Prime rental. There are also more nefarious means through certain APK apps.
I looked it up on break.  I want to watch with the son, but not sure about $20-$25.   Cheaper than a theater visit, so we might still do it if he wants to watch as well.  I am guessing no, so I will probably end up watching it later.  

I didn't know the same guy directed What We Do in the Shadows. I love the TV show but haven't seen the movie yet. 
Yup, and Thor 3.   He is all over the place, which is good for him,  I just don't seem to connect with his humor and movies much.  

El Floppo said:
is this the same thing that was on youtube? (or somewhere else...? I feel like I've seen this already)
I haven't seen the new one yet but it's not the same as The Most Insane Amusement Park Ever, although it might just be an expanded version.

Alice in Chains at Action Park on Headbangers Ball  If you look at the 9 minute mark, you'll see how most people did that slide but at the 11 minute mark is what my friend did, only he was a bit larger...lol

btw...Hulu is apparently doing a comedy series based on the park.

I haven't seen the new one yet but it's not the same as The Most Insane Amusement Park Ever, although it might just be an expanded version.

Alice in Chains at Action Park on Headbangers Ball  If you look at the 9 minute mark, you'll see how most people did that slide but at the 11 minute mark is what my friend did, only he was a bit larger...lol

btw...Hulu is apparently doing a comedy series based on the park.
Johnny Knoxville did a movie about or similar to it too, iirc.

I think I got the rec from this thread but Ready or Not was really good. Sometimes a movie like that can be cheesy, going for cheap laughs but this had none of that. Every reaction was normal, not over the top. The lead actress was excellent. She had an amazing yell!  Mostly unknown cast, outside of Andie MacDowell,  but they were all great.Very much recommended.

Now I know I'm getting old.

I remembered the original Bourne trilogy as being good action movies. Then I watched them again over the last week and...the shaky cam is annoying, the action repetitive, and the plot is wafer thin and built on convenience.

Get off my screen.
Hey, it's no action movie like 48Hrs.   Those two should have flipped in the rankings....hhahahhaa

Was pretty excited to go see Tenet on the big screen this weekend. Then I read this article - 

I Couldn't Hear a Word of Tenet - and I'm not the Only One

Huge bummer. Guess I'll wait to watch it at home with closed captioning.
Saw it last night and that was the first thing I said to my wife when we left.  Between the fast paced dialogue, thick accents and plenty of mask wearing I really could have used subtitles.  And I'm not a fan of subtitles generally.

I mean, the plot/timelines were difficult enough to follow (and I'm still not sure I understand) without the hard to understand words. 

Saw it last night and that was the first thing I said to my wife when we left.  Between the fast paced dialogue, thick accents and plenty of mask wearing I really could have used subtitles.  And I'm not a fan of subtitles generally.

I mean, the plot/timelines were difficult enough to follow (and I'm still not sure I understand) without the hard to understand words. 
So with that, would you recommend waiting for it to come out for home viewing? Or would you suggest still going to see it at the theater?

Users who are viewing this thread