What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (12 Viewers)

Say a prayer for my colon.

Haven't completely gotten things under control yet, and now my body is going through some weird stuff. Just went on a scheduled 5 mile easy run and could barely complete 3. HR was normal, but had a hard time pulling breaths and feeling right.

Ended up having my neighbor who is a nurse check my blood pressure to make sure everything was ok. It was, but I don't feel right.

This could be my body just responding to the stress of the training and the colon stuff, but I'm officially worried. I am guessing that at this point of Hansen's each run should start to feel better, but I'm not sure this is how I'm supposed to feel. I'm literally exhausted with no energy. This is also a byproduct of my ulcerative colitis, so I'm fighting two culprits at the moment: THAT and the training.

I have an easy 8 miler scheduled tomorrow, but if goes like this I'm going to the ER to get everything checked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haven't completely gotten things under control yet, and now my body is going through some weird stuff. Just went on a scheduled 5 mile easy run and could barely complete 3. HR was normal, but had a hard time pulling breaths and feeling right.

Ended up having my neighbor who is a nurse check my blood pressure to make sure everything was ok. It was, but I don't feel right.

This could be my body just responding to the stress of the training and the colon stuff, but I'm officially worried. I am guessing that it this point of Hansen's each run should start to feel better, but I'm not sure this is how I'm supposed to feel.

I have an easy 8 miler scheduled tomorrow, but if goes like this I'm going to the ER to get everything checked.
Be safe. 

This could be my body just responding to the stress of the training and the colon stuff, but I'm officially worried. I am guessing that at this point of Hansen's each run should start to feel better, but I'm not sure this is how I'm supposed to feel. I'm literally exhausted with no energy. This is also a byproduct of my ulcerative colitis, so I'm fighting two culprits at the moment: THAT and the training.

Is it normal to start most of my prayers like: "Dear God, please look out for the following:  Ned's ankle, Brony's leg, JShare's back, and Chief's colon.  And make the beet growing season be plentiful"?

Hope you feel better soon so you can focus on crushing it.

@ChiefD Get well soon.  I don’t know much about these things but I remember you’ve had some bad spells before but bounced back. Hopefully this is just another of those.

I am guessing that at this point of Hansen's each run should start to feel better, but I'm not sure this is how I'm supposed to feel. I'm literally exhausted with no energy.
No way the runs feel better 15 weeks deep amigo. Can’t speak to the colon but review the info on cumulative fatigue in the Hanson book or online. You are right where I think you’re supposed to be with a week or so to the taper from the exhausted department in my limited experience.  Try to get some extra rest and extra calories that work with your body. 

No way the runs feel better 15 weeks deep amigo. Can’t speak to the colon but review the info on cumulative fatigue in the Hanson book or online. You are right where I think you’re supposed to be with a week or so to the taper from the exhausted department in my limited experience.  Try to get some extra rest and extra calories that work with your body. 
I am almost at the end of week 16. The race is two weeks from tomorrow.

@ChiefD Get well soon.  I don’t know much about these things but I remember you’ve had some bad spells before but bounced back. Hopefully this is just another of those.
Yeah, I hope. Running out of time to find out. The medication I am using is my emergency meds and I should have been back to normal by now. Ugh.

Good luck y’all!

75* right now out of nowhere. Should be 😎 weekend pushing 50 maybe. 
:finger:

mid 30s and dropping with a 20 mph wind from the upper Midwest. This race is at the Biltmore estate. Had to be on the grounds an hour early to be able to rAce.  Race starts 10 min before sunrise. Sitting in my truck figuring out what to wear. To glove or not to glove is the biggest question 

mid 30s and dropping with a 20 mph wind from the upper Midwest. This race is at the Biltmore estate. Had to be on the grounds an hour early to be able to rAce.  Race starts 10 min before sunrise. Sitting in my truck figuring out what to wear. To glove or not to glove is the biggest question 
Always glove. 

As a wise man once told me (different context)....no glove, no love.

I located the highest recommended Neurologist. I called on Thursday around 11:45, and the answering service said they were at lunch and would be back at 1:45. So, I call around 2:15, still at lunch. No big deal, I’ll call back tomorrow. I call yesterday at 11:30, answering service again, they’ll be back at 1:45. So, I wait until 2:30 call back, still at lunch. Finally get a hold of someone at 3:15 to try and schedule an appointment with the specific Neurologist I researched. They send me to his extension and I get the answering machine. I leave a detailed message with my info, no call back. I called back again around 4:45, and leave another message. Still nothing. In other news, ran 1.4 miles this morning and for the first time in 18 months, I didn’t have a pain in my butt while running. Maybe @gianmarco‘s prayer worked. However, the Extensor Digitorom Longus started to flare up at the mile mark, so I shut it down. Sending good vibes to our racers this morning. Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah I heard that Hanson's is supposed to make you feel this way near the end.  Not looking forward to it.

It could be you've got a virus in your system.  There have been workouts that went wonky for me and then a day or two later the real symptoms appear.  

Take care and I'll be pulling for you.  And your colon.

gruecd said:
Report - Beet It shot wasn’t nearly as awful-tasting as I expected. Kinda like taking a shot of tomato juice. Just threw ‘er back. 🤷‍♂️
Not gonna lie (and it could definitely be a placebo effect), but it didn’t feel easier at faster paces out there today. I was down around 5:45 pace on my little 1/10-mile pickups today, and it certainly didn’t feel like sub-6 effort.

Will try again for my last hard pre-marathon workout on Wednesday...

St. Paddy's Day 5K race report

I've run this race every year since 2013.  Disappointed in my result this time although I think I can take it in stride.  

I slept well last night from about 9:15 to 1:30 but pretty much couldn't fall back asleep after that.  I did a 2 mile "neurostim" run shortly after 5:00.  Got back, sipped on a cup of coffee, and pounded two glasses of beet juice.  Putzed around, showered, visited the bathroom a few times and left early enough (too early) so I could  park exactly where I wanted before the garage filled up.

I parked my car about 50 minutes before the start.  It was cold (sub 30) and a little windy (10 mph?) so I stayed in my car to stay warm before meeting my mom who was also running about 15 minutes before the start.

Mile splits were 5:43, 5:48, and 5:44.  I was hoping to run in the 5:3Xs but I just couldn't handle that pace.  Finished with an official time of 17:51.  24/1652 overall.  1/88 in AG.  Nobody older than me beat me but I was beaten by four women.  There are always a number of fast runners in the race.  Top three all finished under 15:00.  My best time for this race was in 2016 with a 17:50.  My 5K PR overall (set last fall) is 17:41.

It feels weird to be disappointed in a sub 18:00 since I remember several years ago being ecstatic to break 19:00 and was ecstatic breaking 18:00 for the first time in 2016.  I had such a great fall last year and I was hoping to add to the four race PR streak I was on.

I have lots of excuses.  The course isn't the easiest.  It's not flat.  There are two U-turns around orange traffic cones and I lose time slowing down to make the sharp turn.  It was also cold.  My hands were frozen despite three pairs of gloves (I should have worn mittens) and I was shivering to start.  I think I'm better at 5Ks when it's warmer.  I also think it's hard to race a 5K when marathon training.  I reduced mileage the last few days to get fresh but I think my 20-miler and tempo run the week before still tired me.

My mom finished first in her AG (70-74) out of nine with a time of 30:27.  That matches her PR to the second from Thanksgiving last year.  She has been faster since lengthening her longer runs to 5 miles from 3 miles.  She could be faster if she really wanted to but all she seems to care about in winning her AG.

ChiefD said:

What has your eating been like?

how did you fuel before that run?

What did you guys do to me? Went out for a run at lunch today on what should feel like a perfect running day. It was like 50 degrees tops when I went out. Had on a pair of shorts and a long sleeve typical "running shirt" - swag from a previous turkey run... And I was freaking roasting out there! That's not right, people. Not right at all! I have only gone outside some of the time during the winter. Today should not have seemed hot! 

It was nice to be out, need my sun glasses, do a slowerish run and all but it should have felt perfect... Damn you all!

:D
Nevermind... It was back to about 30 this morning when I went out to run. While I didn't mind the tempature, I was wishing for it to be warmer. Took a lot less time to appreciate 50/60 degrees than it did to embrace the cold! 

What has your eating been like?

how did you fuel before that run?
Eating has been pretty good actually. I had an issue with it on Tuesday's run but took measures to fuel up properly the rest of this week.

I actually felt great all day at work, and as soon as I started that run I just tanked.  Could just be fatigue.

Had a great run today actually. Who the hell knows.

Eating has been pretty good actually. I had an issue with it on Tuesday's run but took measures to fuel up properly the rest of this week.

I actually felt great all day at work, and as soon as I started that run I just tanked.  Could just be fatigue.

Had a great run today actually. Who the hell knows.
:headbang:

BTW... totally a cheat by weighing in after running 10.5 miles and having nothing to drink yet, but weighed in at 197.5 today... even cheating that's the first time I've been under 2 bills in over 20 years... will be there legitimately by race day, imo. 
It still counts.

:headbang:

I've run this race every year since 2013.  Disappointed in my result this time although I think I can take it in stride.  

I slept well last night from about 9:15 to 1:30 but pretty much couldn't fall back asleep after that.  I did a 2 mile "neurostim" run shortly after 5:00.  Got back, sipped on a cup of coffee, and pounded two glasses of beet juice.  Putzed around, showered, visited the bathroom a few times and left early enough (too early) so I could  park exactly where I wanted before the garage filled up.

I parked my car about 50 minutes before the start.  It was cold (sub 30) and a little windy (10 mph?) so I stayed in my car to stay warm before meeting my mom who was also running about 15 minutes before the start.

Mile splits were 5:43, 5:48, and 5:44.  I was hoping to run in the 5:3Xs but I just couldn't handle that pace.  Finished with an official time of 17:51.  24/1652 overall.  1/88 in AG.  Nobody older than me beat me but I was beaten by four women.  There are always a number of fast runners in the race.  Top three all finished under 15:00.  My best time for this race was in 2016 with a 17:50.  My 5K PR overall (set last fall) is 17:41.

It feels weird to be disappointed in a sub 18:00 since I remember several years ago being ecstatic to break 19:00 and was ecstatic breaking 18:00 for the first time in 2016.  I had such a great fall last year and I was hoping to add to the four race PR streak I was on.

I have lots of excuses.  The course isn't the easiest.  It's not flat.  There are two U-turns around orange traffic cones and I lose time slowing down to make the sharp turn.  It was also cold.  My hands were frozen despite three pairs of gloves (I should have worn mittens) and I was shivering to start.  I think I'm better at 5Ks when it's warmer.  I also think it's hard to race a 5K when marathon training.  I reduced mileage the last few days to get fresh but I think my 20-miler and tempo run the week before still tired me.

My mom finished first in her AG (70-74) out of nine with a time of 30:27.  That matches her PR to the second from Thanksgiving last year.  She has been faster since lengthening her longer runs to 5 miles from 3 miles.  She could be faster if she really wanted to but all she seems to care about in winning her AG.
The yearly juxt family double podium - so awesome.

Congrats to you and your mom.  :thumbup:

Well my 10K was a mixed bag. I did run slightly faster than last year but expected to do much better. I could not keep my pace steady to save my life. I really need to get in some fast running outside rather than just the treadmill so I will look to change things up starting this week. I will get my mileage back to about 24 miles a week which is good for me. It was a fun day. Glad I did it and good to know where I stand. Just have to keep pressing onward. Congrats Juxtarot to both you and your mom 😀

2h20m finish.  Surprisingly enough that got me in the top half.  Course was .15 long and I crushed the tangents.  I suspect many people ended up well over 13.5 miles.  First half was basically sweeping S curves.  Dirt carriage trail was muddy so the course was slow IMO.  Despite running into a 25 mph headwind for most of the second half of the event, I did manage a negative split.  That said, the 8 min/mi pace over the last 1/2 probably accounted for most of that.  Beautiful course.  Running by the Biltmore House as the sun rose was freaking awesome.  The temps in the upper 20s-low 30s and constant wind wasn't much fun.  I was expecting a 2:30 to 2:40 finish so hopefully I didn't blow my wad before tomorrow.

2h20m finish.  Surprisingly enough that got me in the top half.  Course was .15 long and I crushed the tangents.  I suspect many people ended up well over 13.5 miles.  First half was basically sweeping S curves.  Dirt carriage trail was muddy so the course was slow IMO.  Despite running into a 25 mph headwind for most of the second half of the event, I did manage a negative split.  That said, the 8 min/mi pace over the last 1/2 probably accounted for most of that.  Beautiful course.  Running by the Biltmore House as the sun rose was freaking awesome.  The temps in the upper 20s-low 30s and constant wind wasn't much fun.  I was expecting a 2:30 to 2:40 finish so hopefully I didn't blow my wad before tomorrow.
Just use your bare hands to squeeze the juice of seven beets into your mouth, pound a beer, and then go. Be sure to ignore red pee. Guaranteed PR.   

Beet juice fueled.  :X   Hope this after taste does hang around all day

the tart cherry juice yesterday seems to have worked on the soreness 

dipping below freezing but the wind is only going to be 5 mph bill be on course long enough to see it hit the upper 40s

Still impressive to me. I might be able to hang with u for 200 yards. Your mom is amazing 

BTW... totally a cheat by weighing in after running 10.5 miles and having nothing to drink yet, but weighed in at 197.5 today... even cheating that's the first time I've been under 2 bills in over 20 years... will be there legitimately by race day, imo. 
Seems unlikely that you'd drink 2.5lbs of water. It counts either way.

Seems unlikely that you'd drink 2.5lbs of water. It counts either way.
Do not underestimate my ability to sweat... weight first thing this morning after emptying my bladder was 200.4. Was 235 on July 1. Was 229 on October 1. Will be sub 200 for race day. My knees and back prefer it this way without a doubt. 

I guess I ended up running a few too many miles this week.  59.5.  I've usually been running in the mid 60s.  How many should I run this week, about 40?  We're 13 days to the marathon.

Also... With 2.5 weeks to go, what's the plan that gets me to meet some of the great folks here that have inspired me in numerous ways?  Haven't exactly looked at the schedule but assuming I will be leaving work early to pick up my packet sometime Friday afternoon. I'd be open to doing something that afternoon/evening and/or a beer after the races. And will it involve chief doing a live performance of his chart topping hit? 
I forgot to answer this.  After the race is fine with me.

I’m not sure what time I’ll get there Friday.  I’ll probably work part of the day so it won’t be early.  
Depending on the number of beers after the race, I may get out the geetar.

Wife and I are getting in town Thursday late afternoon. That's her birthday, so we'll be heading down to St. Elmo's for a nice dinner.

Packet pickup sometime on Friday, and I'll probably do my big carb load at lunch. Then dinner somewhere Friday evening. So if anyone wanted to meet for dinner somewhere near the hotel that would be cool. We are staying at the Renaissance Marriott there in Carmel. I think @Juxtatarot and @gruecd might be staying there as well.

If we don't hook up Friday night, we could meet at the starting line for a quick hello before the race, and maybe grab a beer or two and some food after the race. I think @gruecd and his buddy are heading downtown after the race.

@ChiefD Are you driving back Sunday morning?  I think I’d be open to dinner Friday although I want at least 80% carb calories which might be hard to find at a restaurant. Otherwise I’m going to bring food from home and eat at the hotel.

Joined one of my running partners on the second half of the NYC 1/2.

Was fun being in a race environment again for me, even if it wasn't official (for me) and my buddy was still in conversational pace since he hadn't really trained enough for it and was worried about not finishing if he went too hard. he's done 25+ marathons and lots of other races, so wasn't caring about time here. He/we ended at 2:03... Which was basically our training run conversational pace.

Crazy to see how huge this has become since the days I used to do it in central park.

@ChiefD Are you driving back Sunday morning?  I think I’d be open to dinner Friday although I want at least 80% carb calories which might be hard to find at a restaurant. Otherwise I’m going to bring food from home and eat at the hotel.
Yeah, we are driving home Sunday. As for Friday dinner, we are flexible and if you find somewhere that will work, let me know. If you want company we'd be glad to join you.

Users who are viewing this thread