What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (8 Viewers)

im assuming i dont need this summit stuff yet?

I mostly wanted to see if the watch worked etc etc... I had to manually sync to my phone after the run it didnt do it automatically.

Last edited by a moderator:
most likely not. Not even sure what all it gives you that you would want.
There's only about 4 guys out of 50? in the fbg group that have paid for it. Kind of curious what all it gives you don't get without it - have looked briefly a couple times but never been that tempted to sign up yet.

There's only about 4 guys out of 50? in the fbg group that have paid for it. Kind of curious what all it gives you don't get without it - have looked briefly a couple times but never been that tempted to sign up yet.
It gives you some analytics and tracking capabilities in addition to those offered for free.

I'm probably going to sign up, partly because they have a two-months-free offer right now, but mostly because I want Strava to succeed -- given how important the app is to my motivation/success.  They don't make any money right now, and I would hate for them to go away or have to change their model drastically in order to be viable.

i feel like this is the app im not supposed to publish stuff for safety reason :unsure:
there's options to turn off stuff and/or only show it to people in your friend list, etc. There's also options to make it so you have to approve those that follow you and such if you are worried about that kind of thing.

Smashrun is also a great thing to hook up to. You get a lot of analytical data and you can sync it to strava. It's free and works great. I like it better than the strava premium service. You can segment sections of your run so you can see heart rate and pace just for those sections. 

I think @bushdocda turned me onto this.

So if I setup my privacy to followers....

Can anyone on the Club at least see it?

Trying to minimize some of my settings.   I dont care if everyone in FBG Club can see it but was trying to limit it.  I switched to followers but dont need people to follow me - if this makes sense

So if I setup my privacy to followers....

Can anyone on the Club at least see it?

Trying to minimize some of my settings.   I dont care if everyone in FBG Club can see it but was trying to limit it.  I switched to followers but dont need people to follow me - if this makes sense
I'd imagine you probably want to set your activities to "followers only". that's probably the big one for you. People active in the group will all be following you anyway for the most part. 

im assuming i dont need this summit stuff yet?

I mostly wanted to see if the watch worked etc etc... I had to manually sync to my phone after the run it didnt do it automatically.
Not sure on your watch...but if I do anything away from my phone, it may take a couple minutes for it to sync to my phone on its own (once I am within range of my phone).  You may want to check your settings to make sure it auto-pushes into strava.

Not sure on your watch...but if I do anything away from my phone, it may take a couple minutes for it to sync to my phone on its own (once I am within range of my phone).  You may want to check your settings to make sure it auto-pushes into strava.
ok thanks... Galaxy Watch - its set to sync.  I went into the app on my watch and it said press to sync to device.

I'll give it a few more minutes to sync next time

Oh, and to be fair, your run looks better on the desktop Strava than the mobile @Otis.  So my bad.   
Wait a minute.  I think I just got pimp slapped twice.  First for not listening and going too hard.  And then for my run looking like crap.

WOW THANKS GUYS YEAH YOU WERE RIGHT GREAT SUPPORTIVE THREAD HERE

”I just did a triathlon on my way to work.  Freakin Otis doesn’t listen and runs like a girl.”

PROXY OTIS

@Otis, I just started this fitness thing in May of 2017 and have every hike/run I have done since then on Strava.  Right from the beginning.  Like me, you'll be able to look all the way back and see your progression.  It's cool

I started with a hiking base, but this is my first run.  I was an idiot and just went out and ran fast for as long as I could take it, and then had to walk the rest.

That night I read some stuff about run/walk, and the next day, I did this.  Intervals of 2 minutes running, 30 seconds walking.  But I was still running too fast and couldn't sustain the intervals beyond 3-4.

A month later, I was still hiking with some run/walking mixed-in.

Then in early Oct 2017, I ran my first 5K ever.  Slow pace, but I ran the whole thing.

Over time, I upped my training frequency from Sat/Sun to Wed/Sat/Sun.  And then to Tue/Thu/Sat/Sun.  In Nov last year, I ran my first half marathon.  Then in Jan this year, I ran my first full marathon (walked some of the last 10K) and upped my running frequency to 5x weekly.  Then in May, ran my first no-walk marathon.  And in July my first Ultra (50K, easy pace).

So listen to the experts here.  Start slow.  And over time you can increase distance and speed, and before you know it, you'll be signing-up for a HM.

Over this time, my weight has come down from about 190lbs to 165lbs (I had dropped from 235 to 190 with diet prior to the running but couldn't get past 190).  And the best part is that when I'm running 5x weekly, I can eat whatever I want.  

Welcome to the club.  
Awesome thanks.  Sounds like running 5x a week will allow me to basically eat and drink what I want and get way more trim than I am now, but also improve my heart health.

For what it’s worth, my grandfather on my dad’s side died young of a heart attack, and my dad nearly died of a heart attack (GB modern medicine).  So probably being smart about heart health is a good idea regardless of my weight.

Glad to have rediscovered running.  I’m glad the guys in the weight loss thread busted my chops about it.  I’m genuinely excited about this.  Honestly can’t wait for tomorrow morning, hoping to do another run then if I’m not feeling sore.  

Awesome thanks.  Sounds like running 5x a week will allow me to basically eat and drink what I want and get way more trim than I am now, but also improve my heart health.

For what it’s worth, my grandfather on my dad’s side died young of a heart attack, and my dad nearly died of a heart attack (GB modern medicine).  So probably being smart about heart health is a good idea regardless of my weight.

Glad to have rediscovered running.  I’m glad the guys in the weight loss thread busted my chops about it.  I’m genuinely excited about this.  Honestly can’t wait for tomorrow morning, hoping to do another run then if I’m not feeling sore.  
I would still focus on eating well and cutting back on the alcohol.  Let the pounds fly off and the running will get easier faster...dont think you have a free pass just yet with c25k.

Also, I hate to tell you, but you're over 40 (and overweight) - you're almost always going to be sore to some degree in one area or another.

I would still focus on eating well and cutting back on the alcohol.  Let the pounds fly off and the running will get easier faster...dont think you have a free pass just yet with c25k.

Also, I hate to tell you, but you're over 40 (and overweight) - you're almost always going to be sore to some degree in one area or another.
Agreed. I’ve cut way back on the alcohol and that’s finally in check. And in general I’m eating better too.  This may be the missing piece. 

Agreed. I’ve cut way back on the alcohol and that’s finally in check. And in general I’m eating better too.  This may be the missing piece. 
You will be shocked how great you look and feel in 6 weeks. You are kicking ###.

I remember when I started running years ago, and after about 6 weeks I lost about 15 pounds. Me and my wife were getting all funky one night, and she says:

”Wow, you really are getting skinny.”

I took that as:

Belly shrunk, longer donger. Booyah!

Close but not quite. I've 40 lbs in the last year 235 to 195 but... I was down to almost 190 at the beginning of October. I've raced a half marathon and a full marathon since then as well as running a total of about 200 miles but gained about 5 pounds back... I've gotten lax on eating well. 

Training run went well. Gloves on and out the door. Garmin watch said, “-2.” @gianmarco and I replied “#### you” without breaking stride, and I was on my way. Average pace for the 6 mile tempo was 6:28. Knew I was close to a lifetime goal of a sub 40 10K, so I kinda pushed the pace. Ended up 14 seconds short but still set a 10K PR of 40:13 in the process. Have a great Wednesday!

2019 Las Vegas Rock n Roll Half Marathon Race Report

• 1:41:59 (nice to see my desperate sprint at the end got me under 1:42)
  • 438/16421 overall
  • 364/6959 among men
  • 39/1112 among men 45-49
It was a 5+ minute PR but I knew I was capable of more. 
@Zasada, congrats on a great race!  This is one that's always kinda intrigued me.  A few years back a couple of my friends did some other marathon in the morning (somewhere in California, I think) and then caught a flight to Vegas and ran Rock 'n' Roll that night.  Might wanna try that some day...

Honestly undecided at this point if I'm going to be racing or if I'm going to pace our boy @gianmarco.  Pretty sure that my body is sufficiently recovered to race, just not sure if my mind is there yet.  True game-time decision here.
Please for the love of God and for all things #BMF holy please, please, please pace @gianmarco.

The two race reports from both of you could be pure, rich gold for the rest of us here. 

Please for the love of God and for all things #BMF holy please, please, please pace @gianmarco.

The two race reports from both of you could be pure, rich gold for the rest of us here. 
"Mile 4 hit me hard and I realized I had no chance of hitting my PR. At least not on my own. That's when I slowed down just enough when @gruecd was looking to the side and hopped on his back. Things started to look up again. 

He immediately yells out 'WTF' to which I replied 'RF;DBAP'. 

Miles 5-9 clicked off uneventfully. I handfed him some chews to help with the boredom. HR dropped into the 90s which is pretty good for me at that point."

Hot out of the gate with a 13+ minute pace in my first recorded run.  Stay tuned fells, I think I’m gonna take this down.

PS...wait is this scored like golf?  Does higher score or lower score win?  TIA 
Fwiw, my wife just started running. Pretty much the same pace. But I can't get get to join Strava.

"Mile 4 hit me hard and I realized I had no chance of hitting my PR. At least not on my own. That's when I slowed down just enough when @gruecd was looking to the side and hopped on his back. Things started to look up again. 

He immediately yells out 'WTF' to which I replied 'RF;DBAP'. 

Miles 5-9 clicked off uneventfully. I handfed him some chews to help with the boredom. HR dropped into the 90s which is pretty good for me at that point."
:lmao:

Agreed. I’ve cut way back on the alcohol and that’s finally in check. And in general I’m eating better too.
Running, in a way, actually encourages better eating as well.  There are many times I'm out for a work event and think about having a beer.  Then think "nah, that will dehydrate me for my run tomorrow and make it even harder -- get a club soda and lime".  While running affords me the calories to drink more beer, I actually drink much less because I don't want to feel like #### going into a training run or race.

Also, I think it was @gruecd who noted that he lost a lot of weight as a result of running, and the fear of gaining it all back keeps him on the streets.  I'm the same.  Both for weight, as well as losing fitness.  I worked so hard over the last two years to get fit, I hate the thought of stopping and throwing that all away.  

It's a bit of a virtuous circle.

Random note:  I really ####### wish you could add treadmill elevation to a Strava run.  I did 6km at 15% this morning.  That's 900m (~2,800ft) of gain.  I want credit for that!!!

I know I could do a manual entry, but then I lose the pace, cadence, and HR data.  Don't make me pick between the two, Strava!

Like freaking Sophie's choice.

Users who are viewing this thread