What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing (22 Viewers)

I was hoping Flop would unleash his unstoppable Scarf-Fu.
I did relay the story in here a year or so ago where I bowled over some dip#### girl standing right in the middle of the doorway on the platform trying to push her way into the train when a large group of people were trying to get off. she was 12. dad was ready to throw down.

but that also was crappy architect sans scarf

on my own, I'll drop the shoulder and blast through. but I'm really trying, or at least wanting to try, to be less... that. I want to tell myself to say excuse me can you please move in instead of just ramming people (even though there's often no time for both if I want to actually get on the train)- I used to be decent at that, but have gotten more and more indignant and less patient about it the older I get.
I will walk right though people that block doorways. It's the same move I used to make at concerts to get closer to the stage. I'm not rude about it I just plow through as gently as possible but since in most cases I'm bigger, physics takes over

Last edited by a moderator:
PSA- that Black panther movie is great. 

Took the 11yr old son yesterday. Pretty sure my 8 yr old daughter could handle it, it's not that violent. Sure is great story though, highly recommend

Kid posts on the Beer subreddit asking for advice since he's never been to a bar before.

Hey all, so I am meeting a girl for drinks tonight at a bar and I am pretty clueless on how it all works. I turned 21 about 6 months ago but I do not drink very often and have only been to a bar once where my friend basically did all the thinking for me. I have no idea what to order (I am familiar with popular beers like bud light and Heineken but I think people usually don’t order that kinda stuff at bars?). Also if I get there first should I get us a table or sit at the bar? Anything else I should know? 
One helpful soul gives him some great advice.

Everything is done via a set of coded hand signals and other gestures. Speaking is considered a breach of protocol so make sure you are prepared before you enter. 

Get there a bit early. When you walk in, signal your intent to meet with someone imminently by thrusting your left arm straight up with two fingers extended, grabbing that arm by the elbow with your right hand, and waggling the left forearm like a pump handle until the bartender sees you. 

When he or she does, they will pop themselves on the side of the head with an open palm to indicate that they have seen you and understand. This way you can sit at the bar, but they will know that your ticket may need to be relocated to a table soon, which is just a procedural pain for waitstaff sometimes unless they know in advance. 

They will then look into the angled mirror above the door to the back and make a wing-flapping gesture. The coordinator in the back will then assign you a "floater" server by making the two-handed butterfly gesture into another mirror that is angled to reflect into a series of other angled mirrors mounted at various points along the upper walls around the place. That is to say, they're not actually assigning you a specific server yet, they are just alerting the service staff that one of them will soon have guests in their section and will need to claim the open floater ticket to keep with their section's stuff. The servers keep an eye on these mirrors every few seconds and once they see the butterfly gesture, they'll high-thumb their nose to acknowledge. But you don't really need to know those signals because they are internal to the staff team.

When you have sat yourself at the bar, place one finger behind your ear and push it forward a bit, indicating that you wish to know what the specials are, if any. If the bartender smacks their elbow, there are no specials right now. Otherwise they will point at the specials board and relay they prices of each item via finger counts, which you should be able to work out just fine, unless it's two-for-one or something, which can sometimes be confusing. But if you are confused, just make a gesture like you're wiping off a fogged up window and then use your index fingers pointing at each other and make an offset rolling motion with each to indicate a restart.

If you want to go ahead and order something, point at your extended tongue. The bartender will put their fists on their hips to indicate that you should proceed. Use your elbow to point at the thing that you want, a sample of each (or icon/sign) which will be arrayed on a sample shelf behind the bar (which you need to memorize for later). If the bartender does a single chicken-wing-flap with an arm, it means they need you to indicate which size of that particular thing you want. If you want a smaller one, place your forehead on the bar briefly. If you want a larger one, place one fist on top of your head.

When your date arrives, stand and greet her and do the hellos and whatnot and then find a table. The server coordinator will put out a bar-wide alert gesture in the mirror network and the servers will know that the floaters have picked a particular server's section. That server will soon notice and raise one hand out in front of their face, palm inward, and will come over to take your date's drink order. 

Your date may wish to order for herself, so if she begins to gesture or flap, just leave her to it. Otherwise stand and face the server with about two feet of space between you and order for your date. If you want to order her the same thing you've got, place two fingers over your mouth like the shush gesture but also the peace sign. Otherwise tap your left shoulder with your right palm however many times you need to to indicate the numeric position of the item from the sample shelf that you memorized earlier. Indicate any necessary size designations and then cover your eyes with your hands to indicate that you've completed the order. The server will raise a knee and spike their elbow down onto it to confirm.

Watch the other patrons and staff to pick up any other signals that might be unique to that bar, but the above is really all you need to know to get started at most places. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. Good luck with the girl!

I’ve been bored a lot the past couple of days because I had to go to Denver but have been depressed and didn’t want to subject any friends here to that.

The point being(!), I was reading shuke’s AMA and thought about starting one of my own.  On a scale of 1–11, how bad an idea is that?
Pot is legal is Denver right?  How can you be bored?

I’ve been bored a lot the past couple of days because I had to go to Denver but have been depressed and didn’t want to subject any friends here to that.

The point being(!), I was reading shuke’s AMA and thought about starting one of my own.  On a scale of 1–11, how bad an idea is that?
Start your own shuke? Can't wait. :popcorn:  

It would be interesting to see how different the questions are since you are a woman.

That's the whole thing.  I had plenty of opportunities to try it throughout my life and didn't, and trying it at this point in life just seems silly.  I'm totally pot-friendly and most of my friends partake, but I just don't care to start up.

I have been a little more tempted by the edibles, though, but that's just because I like brownies.  

announce:   this is not a political post.  I'm uninterested in discussing politics and it's verboten here.

Roverkid is going to participate in the nationwide 17-minute school walkout on March 14.   Here's the thing:  she's the only kid in her school doing it.   She discussed it with me at length and feels very strongly about it.   She's going to take a ton of backlash from the other kids, based on classroom discussions and debates that they've had.   

The only question I have is this:  I can go sign her out and she can go make her statement, or she can walk out on her own and take the consequences.   She's prepared to do either, but has asked my advice.   I fully support her expressing herself and exercising civil disobedience and peaceful protest.   Given the fact that she's going to take heat from her peers, do I also let her get in trouble with the administration?  I've told her there will be no negative consequences from me no matter what she ultimately chooses.

announce:   this is not a political post.  I'm uninterested in discussing politics and it's verboten here.

Roverkid is going to participate in the nationwide 17-minute school walkout on March 14.   Here's the thing:  she's the only kid in her school doing it.   She discussed it with me at length and feels very strongly about it.   She's going to take a ton of backlash from the other kids, based on classroom discussions and debates that they've had.   

The only question I have is this:  I can go sign her out and she can go make her statement, or she can walk out on her own and take the consequences.   She's prepared to do either, but has asked my advice.   I fully support her expressing herself and exercising civil disobedience and peaceful protest.   Given the fact that she's going to take heat from her peers, do I also let her get in trouble with the administration?  I've told her there will be no negative consequences from me no matter what she ultimately chooses.
I'll leave advice to other parents, but I just want to say I love roverkid.  Always have, but this cements it.  Whether I agree or not with the political stand (and we're not discussing that here), her willingness to go against her peers for what she believes is... :wub:  

The only kid in the school? How big is the school? What part of the country?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a k-8 private school.   about 650 kids total.  for the walkout, it's really only feasible for the 7th and 8th graders, which is about 50-60.
My kids (freshman and 7th grader) walked out of their respective schools and walked to a student run rally at city hall. Kids got the permit, police were there, 10 student speakers. More than half of the kids in each school (2000 HS and 800 MS) walked out.

Good for your kid.

It's a k-8 private school.   about 650 kids total.  for the walkout, it's really only feasible for the 7th and 8th graders, which is about 50-60.
I was about to say that the repercussions for walking out/cutting class in middle school aren’t going to be very severe or long lasting....

But it is a private school.  No telling what they’ll do.

First off good for Rover Kid for sticking up for what she believes in. 

The principal at our high school said he does not support the walkout and there will be detention/suspension for anyone leaving.   I have enough negative interactions with the school so I will sign my kid out to avoid the hassle.

It is an interesting juxtaposition that the principal had no problem letting kids walk out for Black Lives Matter and the immigration walk out but not for school shootings.

The above is in no way intended to be a political post but simply an observation of one mans behavior

If she wants you to sign her out, I'd do that to show you have her back.  The only downside I see is if she's going to get more heat for "daddy coming to bail her out" or some such bs like that from her peers.

That's the whole thing.  I had plenty of opportunities to try it throughout my life and didn't, and trying it at this point in life just seems silly.  I'm totally pot-friendly and most of my friends partake, but I just don't care to start up.

I have been a little more tempted by the edibles, though, but that's just because I like brownies.  
I started later in life so I could be counter-culture as a kid (growing up in Marin county in the 70s/80s counter-culture being the kid who didn't smoke pot). 

while I was never a daily user, I did get using it fairly regularly through my 20s and 30s. it's fun. definitely worth trying- a way to get either completely silly, completely focused, or completely hungry. I support all three of those. used to only see movies or bands high, or hang with smaller groups of friends. 

I found myself getting emotional/depression hangovers from it, so haven't really smoked much since the kids were born (they are their own emotional/depression hangovers), but thinking about getting back in. all of our friends- parents or otherwise- still smoke pretty regularly.

rock on roverkid :wub:  

did the admins say there'd be punishment? if nothing is clear, I think I'd reach out to the administration (unless they're berndoggystyle) and tell them she's going to do this and is willing to go full hog, but that you'd prefer she wasn't punished, so are willing to sign her out if needed. can that backfire? tanner?

First off good for Rover Kid for sticking up for what she believes in. 

The principal at our high school said he does not support the walkout and there will be detention/suspension for anyone leaving.   I have enough negative interactions with the school so I will sign my kid out to avoid the hassle.

It is an interesting juxtaposition that the principal had no problem letting kids walk out for Black Lives Matter and the immigration walk out but not for school shootings.

The above is in no way intended to be a political post but simply an observation of one mans behavior
jeebus. I'm sick of this principal and school already, just from your posts- can't imagine having to send multiple kids there and live with it day in.

granted, chelsea in NYC vs NC, but I wouldn't be surprised if our principal led the kids out on the march. on my bday btw.

Users who are viewing this thread