What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darren McFadden signs with COWBOYS (1 Viewer)

I can see McFadden rushing for 1,000 yards in dallas this year if he stays healthy. Probably 3-4 games of monster numbers and the rest will be 12 carries for 30 yard outings.

If he doesn't pass his physical, the Cowboys are off the hook.

===============================================

Cowboys signed RB Darren McFadden to a two-year contract.
The deal is pending a physical. McFadden certainly won't be able to fill the shoes of DeMarco Murray,
who scorned the Cowboys to sign with division rival Philadelphia. McFadden ran into brick walls all year in Oakland,
averaging just 3.4 yards per carry in 2014. The silver lining is that he stayed healthy for the first time in his career.
McFadden isn't talented enough to carry a backfield, so look for the Cowboys to add another rusher to pair with him.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 13 - 10:37 AM

Not a Cowboys fan, but this tells me that Jerruh signed McFadden to be the #2 complementary RB, not the #1.

My guess is that they don't get Adrian Peterson to agree to take a smaller salary, and they will take Melvin Gordon or Todd Gurley with their 1st round pick.

called this yesterday....thought they'd sign him because he's cheap and get a rookie. Step 1 - check.

Not a Cowboys fan, but this tells me that Jerruh signed McFadden to be the #2 complementary RB, not the #1.

My guess is that they don't get Adrian Peterson to agree to take a smaller salary, and they will take Melvin Gordon or Todd Gurley with their 1st round pick.
Peterson is going to take less in salary but the hang up is the pick(s) the Vikings want that the Cowboys won't pay. Gordon/Gurley seem most likely at this point.

So Dal signing a RB in FA is somehow validation that they are going to draft 1 in round 1? This seems like faulty logic. Dal more than likely signed a RB so they could address other needs in round 1. Maybe they still take a RB early. Hell, if Gurley falls to them I couldn't blame them for jumping on him as the BPA. I think using this signing as validation of them going out of their way for a RB early is delusional, though.

As for McFadden, this couldn't be any better for him or his fantasy owners.. Pending physical. There isn't a better landing spot for RBs than Dal. If he can stay healthy, big IF, he could post a very nice season.

interesting, could be nice for people that have held onto him the last couple years. Going from Oakland to dallas is night and day for any running back

If he doesn't pass his physical, the Cowboys are off the hook.

===============================================

Cowboys signed RB Darren McFadden to a two-year contract.
The deal is pending a physical. McFadden certainly won't be able to fill the shoes of DeMarco Murray,
who scorned the Cowboys to sign with division rival Philadelphia. McFadden ran into brick walls all year in Oakland,
averaging just 3.4 yards per carry in 2014. The silver lining is that he stayed healthy for the first time in his career.
McFadden isn't talented enough to carry a backfield, so look for the Cowboys to add another rusher to pair with him.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 13 - 10:37 AM
So, like every other contract?

So Dal signing a RB in FA is somehow validation that they are going to draft 1 in round 1? This seems like faulty logic. Dal more than likely signed a RB so they could address other needs in round 1. Maybe they still take a RB early. Hell, if Gurley falls to them I couldn't blame them for jumping on him as the BPA. I think using this signing as validation of them going out of their way for a RB early is delusional, though.

As for McFadden, this couldn't be any better for him or his fantasy owners.. Pending physical. There isn't a better landing spot for RBs than Dal. If he can stay healthy, big IF, he could post a very nice season.

Couldn't agree more.

============================As for McFadden, this couldn't be any better for him or his fantasy owners.. Pending physical. There isn't a better landing spot for RBs than Dal. If he can stay healthy, big IF, he could post a very nice season.

I don't think so.

Couldn't agree more.

============================

I don't think so.
You don't think he stays healthy or don't think he has a good season if he does?

This is the best place he could have went. He at least attains some value. Now this might be fools gold or wishful thinking but he actually can be fantasy relevant next year.

Prior to Murray having this monster year he was an often injured taller back 6'0, 217 lbs that was not thick enough in the waist. He had never had more than 217 carries in a season. Murray is 27 years of age. His first 2 years he was a part time back. He was known for being an above average receiving back.

Enter McFadden who is 27 years of age, he is 6'1, 218 pounds. A running back not known for handling a full load. Only twice has he surpassed 216 carries in his career. He is not thick enough in the waist. He is an above average receiving back.

Now I don't think McFadden is going to go nuts in Dallas but he is in a dream situation. If a guy like Justin Forsett can resurrect his career, I don't see why McFadden does not have a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the best place he could have went. He at least attains some value. Now this might be fools gold or wishful thinking but he actually can be fantasy relevant next year.

Prior to Murray having this monster year he was an often injured taller back 6'0, 217 lbs that was not thick enough in the waist. He had never had more than 217 carries in a season. Murray is 27 years of age. His first 2 years he was a part time back. He was known for being an above average receiving back.

Enter McFadden who is 27 years of age, he is 6'1, 218 pounds. A running back not known for handling a full load. Only twice has he surpassed 216 carries in his career. He is not thick enough in the waist. He is an above average receiving back.

Now I don't think McFadden is going to go nuts in Dallas but he is in a dream situation. If a guy like Justin Forsett can resurrect his career, I don't see why McFadden does not have a chance.
Forsett when healthy was good, McFadden when healthy the past 3 years was not.

He is clearly a back up. I love the over reactions already.

Perhaps they will release Randle for being a knucklehead.

Forsett when healthy was good, McFadden when healthy the past 3 years was not.
Forsett when healthy was good is debatable: 6 carries in 2013, 63 carries in 2012, and 46 carries in 2011. I don't know what type of conclusions you can draw from so few carries on 3 different teams.

I can not think of a worse place than Oakland for RB production. Heck for skill player production in general there may not have been a worse place in fantasy the last 3 years.

At least McFadden now has a pulse.

Couldn't agree more.

============================

I don't think so.
You don't think he stays healthy or don't think he has a good season if he does?
McFadden has averaged 150 carries per season the past 4 years. This can be viewed as him having fresh legs for his age, or he just can't stay on the field.

His YPC during this 4 year stretch, albeit in the rubbish bin that is Oakland, is a paltry 3.7 yards, with a hair over 3 TDs per season. It's bad.

I don't think he will stay healthy, and if he somehow does, then I will project slightly better production with a respectable offensive line in front of him..

If a man is the size of Bruce Lee, that does not make him Bruce Lee.

This is CLEARLY a Jerry Jones "want", going all the way back to his infatuation with him since he came from Arkansas.

They needed cheap, they got cheap. They got an Alma Mater boy. They will now pluck a guy in the draft (T. Coleman, my thoughts), and they will start to focus on locking up Dez before he puts up an insane season this year, because, let's face it, if they don't come through on a running game, this big, mauling line is going to quickly transform into pass protection mode and Linehan is going to drool.

It is less $ then we signed practice squad star Ryan Williams (240k) for. He is the dark horse imo.

Obviously we still go after Adrian or grab a back in the top 3 rounds.

This is CLEARLY a Jerry Jones "want", going all the way back to his infatuation with him since he came from Arkansas.
Sorry to be petty, but this theory has never held water. Felix Jones was the first player from Arkansas drafted by Jerry Jones. I don't recall any since, off the top of my head.

I don't think the McFadden man-crush ever existed, and if it did, it had nothing to do with the school he went to, despite the speculation leading up to that draft.

If the Cowboys address the RB position again in free agency or early in the draft, it'll likely render McFadden a backup and somewhat useless barring an injury to the starter.

However, maybe the Cowboys do believe that a lot of Murray's success was due to the O-Line, and they just need a big bodied RB with some talent to be successful without spending a lot of money. People have been burned often by McFadden in Oakland, but failing in Oakland isn't like failing on a real NFL team.

I don't care about his production in the past 3 years in Oakland. He's been bad, the line's been bad, the offense as a whole has been terrible, and they've had no one relevant from a fantasy perspective for years.

If the consensus is wrong (hard to believe, I know, but humor me) and the Cowboys don't go hard after a big-time RB, there's absolutely a chance for a small resurgence in value for McFadden in Dallas. When I've watched him, he hasn't looked terrible, even in the past few years. He runs into his blockers because they've normally been 2-3 yards in the backfield. I'll bet there'd be a difference if those defenders are 2-3 yards downfield instead. Anyone who dismisses that possibility isn't paying attention. That's not to say he'd be a workhorse, but I can easily see him being the primary early down runner with some goal-line work if they don't add more talent.

By the way, when McFadden gave way to Rashad Jennings two years ago, suddenly the Raiders had a running game.

When McFadden gave way to Latavius Murray last year, suddenly the Raiders had a running game.

Probably just a coincidence.

2 years.... for up to 5.85mil.

220k signing bonus.

No risk back up signing.
Agree he's probably not the guy they hope to go into the season with as their #1 RB, but only about half the teams will be paying more to a RB than $3m -- so the money isn't really the way to judge it IMO. Joique Bell and Rashad Jennings make about that much, for example.

2 years.... for up to 5.85mil.

220k signing bonus.

No risk back up signing.
Agree he's probably not the guy they hope to go into the season with as their #1 RB, but only about half the teams will be paying more to a RB than $3m -- so the money isn't really the way to judge it IMO. Joique Bell and Rashad Jennings make about that much, for example.
Money is a very good way to judge it...I disagree. I assume it is incentive laden deal and really just a 200k tryout contract.

We decide before paying him.

After an initial "what the hell"...I am ok with bringing him in with little expectations.

Of course he is signing as the back up at this stage.

But he could surprise with that O line play and have a fantasy relevant year.
he could be part of a committee too, give him the 10-12 carries and 2-4 catches he was getting the first half of last year in Oakland and he will be serviceable. He was getting around 10 points every week at that point.

There is no possible way the Cowboys go into the season with him as the #1 RB. That invites disaster. Romo cannot carry this offense anymore on that terrible back.

Of course he is signing as the back up at this stage.

But he could surprise with that O line play and have a fantasy relevant year.
he could be part of a committee too, give him the 10-12 carries and 2-4 catches he was getting the first half of last year in Oakland and he will be serviceable. He was getting around 10 points every week at that point.
I agree with a lot of this. I will look to grab him as a bye week guy with upside.

McFadden is what he is. Questionable vision & no juice. He's a veteran backup. I like Randle more & more. Look out if he can get his act together.

Are the Cowboys going to give Randle a chance? It looks like that may be the case. He looked really good last season. We'll certainly know after the draft. They have so many other needs I can definitely see them giving Randle a shot (if he doesn't get released).

McFadden is what he is. Questionable vision & no juice. He's a veteran backup. I like Randle more & more. Look out if he can get his act together.

Are the Cowboys going to give Randle a chance? It looks like that may be the case. He looked really good last season. We'll certainly know after the draft (if Randle doesn't get released). They have so many other needs I can definitely see them giving Randle a shot.
Did you miss this:

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Cowboys-Randle-arrested-again-this-time-in-drug-case-82607.shtml

This was about the best news his owners could hope for. I own him in 3 leagues and he had been on the potential cut list to make room for the rookies, now he is a definite keeper.

Obviously, he will part of some sort of RBBC, and may turn out to be a good emergency flex starter due to an injury or for a bye-week fill in for PPR leagues.

Are the Cowboys going to give Randle a chance? It looks like that may be the case. He looked really good last season. We'll certainly know after the draft (if Randle doesn't get released). They have so many other needs I can definitely see them giving Randle a shot.
Did you miss this:

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Cowboys-Randle-arrested-again-this-time-in-drug-case-82607.shtml
LOL. Yes, I knew about it. Yeah, he's a knucklehead. However, until he gets released, I have to think he's a possibility with the McFadden signing.

As we all know, players with talent get multiple chances. Randle looked like a starting NFL RB last season. I'm simply saying I like him more now depending on what happens in the draft. The Cowboys have had reason to release him already, but didn't do it. Maybe they release him since they signed McFadden, but I don't know about that. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread