What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deadwood (3 Viewers)

I loved the show. Still do. I think season 3 is geting a bit of a pounding in here, and maybe thats fair. That said, I can't help but feel that a lot of the things in the third season were put in to set up the fourth and final season that never happened. It was never planed to not have Deadwood burn to the ground (as is history) at the end of the show IMHO.

And to think HBO thought John from Cincinnati was a better idea then a season four of deadwood. Oooof.
Not too sure about that. Deadwood was one of the most expensive TV series ever. So that had to figure into their decision.
I read somewhere that it cost HBO $ 5 million an episode....

I loved the show. Still do. I think season 3 is geting a bit of a pounding in here, and maybe thats fair. That said, I can't help but feel that a lot of the things in the third season were put in to set up the fourth and final season that never happened. It was never planed to not have Deadwood burn to the ground (as is history) at the end of the show IMHO.

And to think HBO thought John from Cincinnati was a better idea then a season four of deadwood. Oooof.
I believe that was Milch's decision, not HBO's.

:moneybag:

I crack up every scene where someone is eating bacon or pork chops.
Oh God! :lmao: Season 2, episode 3 :cry:

The new guy comes into town (Garrett Dillahunt/"Jack McCall"'s return), Mayor wants to feed him breakfast at his place. But the oatmeal is cold, and the guy at the bar makes a comment about it not even being out the full three hours yet to get old. New guy: "Perhaps I'll just stick with the bacon." :o

Mayor walks him to his table and says, as if he's talking about the stale oatmeal in his restaurant: "In these parts, one draws his meals from a small and brackish pool."

But then he turns around and looks at his customers.

:lmao: :lol:
Just makes every line funnier. Powers Booth shows up to help Mr. W. clean up the dead girls. "Go get yourself something to eat." Looks at bodies "...If you have the stomach for it." :hot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Complete Series on sale at Amazon today. $61 for DVD and $85 for Blu-Ray.

Heard a lot of good things about this and been looking for a new series to get into.

If I like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Sopranos, Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Brotherhood, should I pull the trigger here? Is Blu-Ray really necessary?

Please See Mine said:
Complete Series on sale at Amazon today. $61 for DVD and $85 for Blu-Ray.Heard a lot of good things about this and been looking for a new series to get into.If I like Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Sopranos, Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Brotherhood, should I pull the trigger here? Is Blu-Ray really necessary?
Deadwood is visually rich, so I can make the argument for blu ray.

Re-watching this series on demand on Comcast.

There are so many dramatic series I love. But I think this the best drama ever made. I rank it a bit higher than Boardwalk Empire. The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under...these are all incredible shows. And those shows are 10 times better than most dramas. So this isn't a slight at all.

In the end, Deadwood is the best TV drama I've ever seen.

Re-watching this series on demand on Comcast.There are so many dramatic series I love. But I think this the best drama ever made. I rank it a bit higher than Boardwalk Empire. The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under...these are all incredible shows. And those shows are 10 times better than most dramas. So this isn't a slight at all. In the end, Deadwood is the best TV drama I've ever seen.
I think this is a series I would love but I keep hearing that the story lines were just left hanging at the end of season 3 and need some sort of movie to tie them up.Will I still enjoy this even if it does not have a proper ending?

Youtube the Best of Al Sweargen..so many great lines.
NO! Absolutely not.Or I should say if you have not seen the series this would be a huge mistake. A bunch of out of context lines from Al for someone who has never been exposed to him would not enhance the experience of watching the series at all.For those who have seen it, Al clips should be on a constant loop 24x7. He is perhaps my favorite character in television history (top five without question).

Re-watching this series on demand on Comcast.There are so many dramatic series I love. But I think this the best drama ever made. I rank it a bit higher than Boardwalk Empire. The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under...these are all incredible shows. And those shows are 10 times better than most dramas. So this isn't a slight at all. In the end, Deadwood is the best TV drama I've ever seen.
I agree. I think the only series (mini) that I may appreciate more is Band of Brothers but much of my appreciation for that relates to the historical context. It's great on it's own, of course, but it they bonus points for fighting in WWII in my book.

I think this is a series I would love but I keep hearing that the story lines were just left hanging at the end of season 3 and need some sort of movie to tie them up.Will I still enjoy this even if it does not have a proper ending?
I think so. The movies don't appear to be a reality at this point, but I think it's absolutely worth viewing regardless of the outcome.

NO! Absolutely not.Or I should say if you have not seen the series this would be a huge mistake. A bunch of out of context lines from Al for someone who has never been exposed to him would not enhance the experience of watching the series at all.For those who have seen it, Al clips should be on a constant loop 24x7. He is perhaps my favorite character in television history (top five without question).
I think it's interesting that in the second episode, there's a family attacked by wolves. Because in every shape and form Al Swerengen is a wolf. He's so dangerous, he makes Tony Soprano seem like Oprah Winfrey in comparison.

I think so. The movies don't appear to be a reality at this point, but I think it's absolutely worth viewing regardless of the outcome.
It is absolutely worth watching and it doesn't really leave that much hanging IMO.

I agree. I think the only series (mini) that I may appreciate more is Band of Brothers but much of my appreciation for that relates to the historical context. It's great on it's own, of course, but it they bonus points for fighting in WWII in my book.
I loved Band of Brothers. Good call. Hard to compare the two. The only reason I'd argue for Deadwood is that in many ways, it's a completely original work. Band of Brothers is a fantastic achievement, no doubt. But one could point to the rich amount of source material that shaped the show. I'm not sure where Deadwood came from, and I don't think we'll ever see it again.

I think it's interesting that in the second episode, there's a family attacked by wolves. Because in every shape and form Al Swerengen is a wolf. He's so dangerous, he makes Tony Soprano seem like Oprah Winfrey in comparison.
No question that he is not a man to be ###### with or taken lightly in any way but Al has a truly dual nature. He would kill someone (with a blade of course) as soon as look at them but at the same time he has a caring and deeply protective nature for his own flock (is there any other way to explain Jewell?).But seriously, don't #### with him.

No question that he is not a man to be ###### with or taken lightly in any way but Al has a truly dual nature. He would kill someone (with a blade of course) as soon as look at them but at the same time he has a caring and deeply protective nature for his own flock (is there any other way to explain Jewell?).But seriously, don't #### with him.
You could argue that Tony Soprano is far more sociopathic, and I agree. There's more humanity in Al. But still, that is one scary dude.

I agree..if you have not seen it first do not Youtube it. There is something about hearing those lines for the first time.

I loved Band of Brothers. Good call. Hard to compare the two. The only reason I'd argue for Deadwood is that in many ways, it's a completely original work. Band of Brothers is a fantastic achievement, no doubt. But one could point to the rich amount of source material that shaped the show. I'm not sure where Deadwood came from, and I don't think we'll ever see it again.
Agreed that it is difficult to compare the two. Ambrose had the ability to interview people who lived through the events depicted, Richard Winters only passed away this year. Deadwood and most of the principle characters are not fictional either, which allowed Milch much more artistic freedom in crafting their personalities and, of course, he did a masterful job.They are both shows that I will gladly invest an hour in if they are on TV.

I am between series right now, I think I might have to fire up Deadwood.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am between series right now, I think I might have to fire up Deadwood now.
I've been switching back and forth between Deadwood and Six Feet Under this month.Sherlock is incredible, if you haven't seen it.
Actually you just reminded me that I have never seen SFU. Does it hold up for five seasons or did they hang on for too long? Still worth it either way, I imagine.

Sherlock is incredible, if you haven't seen it.
There are only three episodes listed on IMDB. Is it a one off or will there be more episodes to follow?I am hesitant to invest in shows in their first season, lest they get canceled quickly leaving me disappointed.

There are only three episodes listed on IMDB. Is it a one off or will there be more episodes to follow?I am hesitant to invest in shows in their first season, lest they get canceled quickly leaving me disappointed.
The Brits sometimes do things that way, each "episode" is a 90-minute movie. There is a second season in the works. Haven't seen Sherlock yet myself, but have it queued up. "Wire in the Blood" is another series that was produced that way, and the first couple of seasons of that are excellent if you haven't seen them. Later ones kind of drag, though.

I've been switching back and forth between Deadwood and Six Feet Under this month.Sherlock is incredible, if you haven't seen it.
Actually you just reminded me that I have never seen SFU. Does it hold up for five seasons or did they hang on for too long? Still worth it either way, I imagine.
Six Feet Under has four really good seasons with a weak season four before the final season. But it's an excellent series.Also, if you're into British comedies (and many people aren't), Black Books is one of the funniest I've seen.

Those three 90 minute episodes comprise the first season. Series 2 is running currently on BBC, I believe.

Six Feet Under has four really good seasons with a weak season four before the final season. But it's an excellent series.Also, if you're into British comedies (and many people aren't), Black Books is one of the funniest I've seen.
I enjoy British shows regardless of genre a lot but I watched all of BB because it came highly recommended and found it to be pretty meh.It's weird because I really got a laugh out of Dylan Moran in Run Fatboy Run, which is the same type of character as Bernard in BB, but the show just didn't work for me.

Sherlock and SFU added to my queue. I will try to stop hijacking this thread now.
:popcorn: I am very impressed by Sherlock. And as long as we're wrapping this up, the original BBC Series "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" is fantastic.
Thanks.PSA: This is totally persnickety of me but I don't have a Netflix account so when you link Netflix pages it takes me to the Netflix login page not the film page. So if I want to get to that page I need to go through additional two steps to do independent search query to get to the page. I don't mind doing the search but I find IMDB to be more useful for linking titles as it does not require a login.

Sherlock and SFU added to my queue. I will try to stop hijacking this thread now.
:unsure: I am very impressed by Sherlock. And as long as we're wrapping this up, the original BBC Series "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" is fantastic.
Thanks.PSA: This is totally persnickety of me but I don't have a Netflix account so when you link Netflix pages it takes me to the Netflix login page not the film page. So if I want to get to that page I need to go through additional two steps to do independent search query to get to the page. I don't mind doing the search but I find IMDB to be more useful for linking titles as it does not require a login.
Here you go, Mr. "I'm Too Good For Netflix." :lmao:

:unsure: I am very impressed by Sherlock. And as long as we're wrapping this up, the original BBC Series "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" is fantastic.
Here you go, Mr. "I'm Too Good For Netflix." :lmao:
Actually Netflix is too good for me. They keep rejecting my application.

Just watched the whole series a couple months back. Great, great stuff.

Al Swearingen is probably my favorite TV character in the history of ever.

And yeah, I agree Season 3 was meh.

Now that I have HBO Go, decided to give this series a shot. I'm almost done with Season One, and I have to say that I'm a bit underwhelmed. Perhaps my expectations were too high. But I actually find myself a bit bored at times. The first few episodes with Wild Bill were enjoyable, but it's seemed to drag since then.

Now that I have HBO Go, decided to give this series a shot. I'm almost done with Season One, and I have to say that I'm a bit underwhelmed. Perhaps my expectations were too high. But I actually find myself a bit bored at times. The first few episodes with Wild Bill were enjoyable, but it's seemed to drag since then.
I am in agreement with jdogg on this one but I can completely understand why it would not appeal to everyone.I think the only series I would put above it is Band of Brothers.

Rewatching this series right now. Halfway through season 3 now. Enjoying it even more the 2nd time around. Having a good time trying to figure out what the hell they are saying a good portion of the time, but getting a good laugh at some of the dialogue. Not for everyone, but I like it. Some of the most vicious beatings I've seen on screen are in this show. Disturbing, but can't seem to stop watching.

I am in agreement with jdogg on this one but I can completely understand why it would not appeal to everyone.I think the only series I would put above it is Band of Brothers.
Deadwood, The Wire, and Breaking Bad are in a three way tie for my all time favorite dramas.

Just finished the end of season 3, and I thought the show was magnificent with the exception of the ending. I don't know if they were under the impression that there was going to be a season 4, but I found the conclusion to be completely unsatisfying.It certainly keeps the series at arms length of the TV pantheon, and I would likely urge anyone that is thinking about getting into the show to go in with the knowledge that the ending will not provide what the first 2.5 seasons promise. You will very likely feel cheated given the time you invest.However, what's good is VERY good, and it'd be of strong interest to those that watch 'Justified' to see Olyphant grow into the badass law man role.

'Statorama said:
Just finished the end of season 3, and I thought the show was magnificent with the exception of the ending. I don't know if they were under the impression that there was going to be a season 4, but I found the conclusion to be completely unsatisfying.It certainly keeps the series at arms length of the TV pantheon, and I would likely urge anyone that is thinking about getting into the show to go in with the knowledge that the ending will not provide what the first 2.5 seasons promise. You will very likely feel cheated given the time you invest.However, what's good is VERY good, and it'd be of strong interest to those that watch 'Justified' to see Olyphant grow into the badass law man role.
They were under the impression there would season 4 and finished season 3 with that understanding. Depending on who you believe either HBO thought is was too expensive or the creator David Milch lost interest. That it could finish its last season and close it properly has earned my eternal damnation for both parties.

Users who are viewing this thread