What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Muhammad Cartoon Contest in Garland Tx. Hundreds of ISIS In America (1 Viewer)

And they managed to use a guy from PJ media to try to refute the idea that the media influences public opinion on Islam. There goes the credibility

And they managed to use a guy from PJ media to try to refute the idea that the media influences public opinion on Islam. There goes the credibility
I'm not sure I understand this. It's a confusing sentence, and I can't trace the guy from PJ Media in the articles. I could be missing something or reading what you're saying wrong. I'm also not sure that solely being from PJ Media disqualifies one from comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
CNN

Two people were shot by police outside of an event billed as the "Muhammad Art Exhibit and Cartoon Contest" in Garland, Texas, Sunday night, according to Garland Mayor Douglas Athas, who added, "I believe they are dead."

Athas said Garland officers returned fire when the two began shooting after they entered the parking lot of the event site. He said a security guard was shot in the leg and transported to a local hospital. His condition is unknown.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/03/us/mohammed-drawing-contest-shooting/index.html

Dallas Morning News:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20150503-two-gunmen-open-fire-outside-anti-islam-event-at-garland-isd-facility-police-say.ece

What is the upside in hosting a muhammad comic contest? Who thought that was a goods idea?
Book of Mormon is a huge hit on Broadway.

Jesus Christ Superstar was a huge hit.

The Da Vinci Code was a huge hit.

I don't recall anybody shooting people over any of those. Why is Islam immune?

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/02/11/10000-muhammad-art-and-cartoon-contest-to-be-held-at-site-of-stand-with-the-prophet-conference-in-texas/

"Enough is enough,” she explained. “They’re just cartoons. We’re holding this exhibit and cartoon contest to show how insane the world has become — with people in the free world tiptoeing in terror around supremacist thugs who actually commit murder over cartoons. If we can’t stand up for the freedom of speech, we will lose it — and with it, free society.”

What is the upside in hosting a muhammad comic contest? Who thought that was a goods idea?
It's called free speech, and a big middle finger to all those who can't handle it.
You can wear what you want too but a jacket made of meat is not a good choice for a jungle hike.
So we're reducing Islamists to animals who act based solely on instinct?
no?

It's called free speech, and a big middle finger to all those who can't handle it.
You can wear what you want too but a jacket made of meat is not a good choice for a jungle hike.
no?
Then it's not a very good analogy.

It's in the DMN link:

The New York-based American Freedom Defense Initiative was hosting a contest that would award $10,000 for the best cartoon depicting the Prophet Muhammad at the venue. Caricatures of the Islamic prophet are considered offensive by many Muslims.

The American Freedom Defense Initiative paid an additional $10,000 upfront for 40 officers to work security at the event. The group's president, Pamela Gellar, called it "the high cost of freedom."
Garland had dueling protests during a "Stand With the Prophet in Honor and Respect" in January.
- Apparently that passed without incident.

Ok, now I'll ask:

What is the upside in shooting someone over a muhammad comic? Who thought that was a good idea? :scared:

no?
I'm on pain pills.

The folks who put this on knew exactly what they were doing. They were making a point, and they knew full well it would probably elicit a terrorist act by some Muslim whack-job who doesn't realize he lives in a country where free speech is part of the territory. And now there are two less of those whack-jobs. There's your upside I guess.

no?
I'm on pain pills.
I'm not coming to picket your house about it. :P All the best, man. I forgot you broke your elbow.

The folks who put this on knew exactly what they were doing. They were making a point, and they knew full well it would probably elicit a terrorist act by some Muslim whack-job who doesn't realize he lives in a country where free speech is part of the territory. And now there are two less of those whack-jobs. There's your upside I guess.
And a security man was wounded. And police had to put themselves at risk. And the public was put at risk. And in addition to all that, it will probably cost the local government thousands of dollars before it's all done, if not more. All to supposedly protect freedom of speech. Which I don't even believe. I think they're deliberately trying to insult Muslims and incite violence. It's stupid and callous IMO.

Seems like a big risk to make a point but hey, if you have to draw those muhammad cartoons and have a contest then you just have to.

Geller's group is known for mounting a campaign against the building of an Islamic center blocks from the World Trade Center site and for buying advertising space in cities across the U.S. criticizing Islam.

And a security man was wounded. And police had to put themselves at risk. And the public was put at risk. And in addition to all that, it will probably cost the local government thousands of dollars before it's all done, if not more. All to supposedly protect freedom of speech. Which I don't even believe. I think they're deliberately trying to insult Muslims and incite violence. It's stupid and callous IMO.
I think we should have done more of this to be honest. There's not many things worth making a point of, or fighting for. Freedom of speech is one of them.

Geller's group is known for mounting a campaign against the building of an Islamic center blocks from the World Trade Center site and for buying advertising space in cities across the U.S. criticizing Islam.
Yeah this all about the high price of free speech. More like it's the high price of hating Muslims.

I think we should have done more of this to be honest. There's not many things worth making a point of, or fighting for. Freedom of speech is one of them.
Well I think you're being very unwise.

I'm confused. What exactly happened:

Muslim terrorists attacked innocent Americans at a cartoon contest?

American nutjobs attacked innocent Muslims at a religious event?

No violence actually occurred, the mainstream media is just creating drama now that Baltimore is back to normal?

Nope. Enough is enough with Islam and their intolerance, whether it be towards women, gays, Jews, or artists. If they want to establish their own Sharia Law society that's their right. But this is America, and if you want to live here you have to respect the principle of free speech. If you don't like it, if you can't handle your religion being criticized or poked fun at, there's a simple solution. Leave.

Last edited:
I hate to tell y'all, but images of Mohammed aren't the only thing that islamists feel to be profane about the west.

Nope. Enough is enough with Islam and their intolerance, whether it be towards women, gays, Jews, or artists. If they want to establish their own Sharia Law society that's their right. But this is America, and if you want to live here you have to respect the principle of free speech. If you don't like it, if you can't handle your religion being criticized or poked fun at, there's a simple solution. Leave.
Or they can try to kill everybody. Their call really.

1:29:52 from the youtube video

the police telling the crowd the have to move them and the 1st question from someone is "were the suspects muslim"

Just heard Pamela Geller on Fox. Say what you want, but this woman has brass balls. She receives tons of death threats, but stays true to her beliefs regardless. Pretty impressive.

Just heard Pamela Geller on Fox. Say what you want, but this woman has brass balls. She receives tons of death threats, but stays true to her beliefs regardless. Pretty impressive.
Yeah, she's an impressive bigot all right. Her statements during the "Ground Zero Mosque" thing were among the most offensive I can recall ever hearing on television.

Users who are viewing this thread