What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Derrick Henry, BAL (4 Viewers)

He got hit early so many times, the line seemed to negatively impact him today. With his big frame, even if they don't win their block but hold their own, he can usually get his.

Derrick Henry rushed 19 times for 69 yards and a score in Tennessee's AFC Championship loss to the Chiefs.

Henry initially earned his opportunity with a ludicrous four-game stretch (87/585/7) to close ‘18 and leveraged that newfound role into 303/1,540/16 on the ground, including the league’s 2019 rushing title and 83/446/2 in three postseason games. While his nonexistent receiving-game usage (24 targets) and invisibility in negative game scripts hindered his weekly floor, the Titans need only take on $1.125 million in dead cap this offseason to shed Dion Lewis’ contract and gift Henry further opportunity in 2020. Henry himself enters the new league year as an unrestricted free agent, but one would imagine GM Jon Robinson allocates an Ezekiel Elliott/Todd Gurley-like annual amount for the 26-year-old bruiser. Recency bias aside, Henry projects as a first-round pick for early Best-Ball leagues prior to the draft.

Jan 19, 2020, 8:21 PM ET

zeeshan2 said:
[Rich Eisen Show]: “Zeke Number is the floor.” Derrick Henry told us what he’s expecting come #NFL free agency

https://twitter.com/RichEisenShow/status/1223247751401615364?s=20
This is basically 4 years 60 mil, 15 per. After that, no one expects him to make the same amount.

The top runner in a market should be able to ask for the top money, he's not wrong.

The Titans have been riding a cap where they don't spend 18 mil avg per year and can easily afford it but many believe it's a purposeful gap that teams in smaller (NYC) markets use. It WILL come up in the CBA again. Regardless of the gap, they can afford it with 22 free agents and 100? 90? mil available

Do they want to pay a RB that much? It's the worst position and the worst market in pro sports. The dime a dozen mentality is so real it's awful. 

As was said when Gordon was doing his thing- 10-12 mil for 5 years is a good deal, good life and they'll greatly increase that with endorsements. Changing teams hurts their endorsements a ton. Henry should be mindful that he doesn't necessarily have to follow the market, be a trendsetter, or do a darn thing other than get paid and be happy.

As many have said, it's just more reasonable to tag him a couple time. He gets paid top 5 and if he gets hurt or doesn't produce they can get out from under it. 

Titans fans finally got to the AFCG after years where it felt like the Titans were the Browns. Henry was a big reason why and NOT bringing him back would be a big "dig" at the fanbase. Fan wise, the Titans almost have to bring back Tannehill and Henry. 

Running left behind Lewan took a hit this year, but it is still the best spot to run in the NFL over the last four years. 

What a difficult off-season for the Titans. You got the whole Tannehill situation. Did he show enough to earn trust on a long term commitment and if not he's probably getting $27M on franchise deal.

Then with Henry you got someone they've been slow to warm up to themselves. They offered him at trade deadline in 2018. Have at this point made him no contract offer. Elliot is probably the closest thing to a success in terms of a RB getting a big second payday that we currently have in the league but no team right now, even Dallas, relies on their RB more then the Titans.

Even if they retain them both you are looking at a situation were two players they only had to commit $4m in cap space to last year probably running them closer to $40M in cap space in 2020.  They got the cap space for it, losing Mariotta's $20M is huge, but man I'd hate to be the decision maker on that team right now and looking at committing so much more money to these two but don't see how they afford to lose either of them without viable backup plans.

Rotoworld take:

Speaking in an interview last week, impending free agent Derrick Henry said Ezekiel Elliott's six-year, $90 million contract is "the floor" for what he will be seeking.

Elliott's deal included $50 million guaranteed, with $28 million of that guaranteed at signing. Henry later said he misunderstood host Rich Eisen's question, but it's not exactly rocket science where his agent will start out in talks. Those are the kind of numbers a running back might get from an in-house extension, but it's been a long time since a runner broke the bank like that on the open market. Henry is one of the more fascinating free agent cases in recent memory.

SOURCE: Rich Eisen on Twitter

Feb 4, 2020, 2:47 PM ET

Tannehill switched to same agent as Henry.

Two schools of thought- sign us both so we can stick together or give Tannehill the $ and tell Titans fans we had same agent tried to work it out. 

It's easy to find cheap RBs not easy to find good cheap QBs so if it's one or the other Tannehill has a big advantage.

He has been phenomenal over the last 21 regular season games. If the Titans have the answer of what the difference was (compared to before this stretch) I would understand them paying him (not agree but understand). As a GM I just don't see how you set the bar with a running back contract these days. They have a solid surrounding cast and this is a decent draft to find an RB. 

He has been phenomenal over the last 21 regular season games. If the Titans have the answer of what the difference was (compared to before this stretch) I would understand them paying him (not agree but understand). As a GM I just don't see how you set the bar with a running back contract these days. They have a solid surrounding cast and this is a decent draft to find an RB. 
Even though I said I would be surprised if he wasn't a Titan in 2020, I agree with you.  There is no way I would invest a lot of money in a RB.  It's been proven to be a bad investment and like you said, this is a good draft to find a RB and a rookie contract for a good RB makes more sense in team building.

Even though I said I would be surprised if he wasn't a Titan in 2020, I agree with you.  There is no way I would invest a lot of money in a RB.  It's been proven to be a bad investment and like you said, this is a good draft to find a RB and a rookie contract for a good RB makes more sense in team building.
And it is really too bad for those guys as running back has really become a thankless position. But from a business/financial perspective it just doesn't make good sense. The other factor in TEN is the fanbase. As a business with ticketholders you do need to be conscious of your fans to some degree. Not sure what the climate is on Henry in regards to Titan fans but I am sure after seeing his production on the field this season they would like him in uniform. And maybe both sides can come to a reasonable contract that appeases everyone. Maybe some market setting performance escalators to provide the opportunity to get more money is the starting point for these guys. Otherwise eventually everyone will just be done paying this position because it just never seems to work out. 

And it is really too bad for those guys as running back has really become a thankless position. But from a business/financial perspective it just doesn't make good sense. The other factor in TEN is the fanbase. As a business with ticketholders you do need to be conscious of your fans to some degree. Not sure what the climate is on Henry in regards to Titan fans but I am sure after seeing his production on the field this season they would like him in uniform. And maybe both sides can come to a reasonable contract that appeases everyone. Maybe some market setting performance escalators to provide the opportunity to get more money is the starting point for these guys. Otherwise eventually everyone will just be done paying this position because it just never seems to work out. 
The way to go for both sides may be to get a decent signing bonus and first year salary but set the rest up as basically a series of one year contracts. Obviously that's not ideal for the player but if they continue to perform well they can keep getting paid while starting off with a decent nest egg. It's not really fair for a RB but the reality is RBs don't age very well.

The way to go for both sides may be to get a decent signing bonus and first year salary but set the rest up as basically a series of one year contracts. Obviously that's not ideal for the player but if they continue to perform well they can keep getting paid while starting off with a decent nest egg. It's not really fair for a RB but the reality is RBs don't age very well.
....and never have.

King of the Jungle said:
💙💛♥️ There's a decent amount of Titans fans in Alabama (too many falcons fans too, but I get it), we love the guy. 

Franchise at the least. Hopefully work a deal that's good for both. 

Titans GM Jon Robinson said the organization will "do everything we can" to keep impending free agent Derrick Henry.

"We're going to work through that one and do everything we can to try and keep him around," Robinson said. With Ryan Tannehill simultaneously hitting the open market, it sounds as if the organization is more than willing to negotiate a lucrative extension with Henry all the while playing it safe (perhaps leading to the franchise tag) with their 31-year-old quarterback. Henry recently stated Ezekiel Elliott's six-year, $90 million contract is "the floor" for what he and his agent are seeking, at the very least making his deal an interesting case study for future negotiations.

SOURCE: Erik Bacharach on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 11:38 AM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Titans plan to bring back Derrick Henry "at a big number."

It's unclear if Rapoport actually has new information, or is merely speculating after the Titans released backup RB Dion Lewis. Either way, signs are indicating that Henry will likely be back in Tennessee next season with a hefty new contract. It remains to be seen how well the Titans' bell-cow RB will age, although Henry doesn't exactly have more miles on his legs than other free agent RBs. Overall, each of Melvin Gordon (1,936), Lamar Miller (1,926) and Carlos Hyde (1,758) have far more combined collegiate and NFL touches than Henry (1,480).

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 12, 2020, 12:36 PM ET

Titans placed the franchise tag on RB Derrick Henry.

This was inevitable once the Titans worked out a long-term deal with Ryan Tannehill. Henry will make roughly $12.47 million this upcoming season barring an extension. The 26-year-old's nitpicked fantasy outlook remains concerning if only for his nonexistent usage as a receiver out of the backfield, which ultimately rendered him to a pedestrian 23 catches all year. Perhaps Dion Lewis' recent release, which vacated 12.3 routes per game from the Titans' backfield, allows Henry to avoid getting game-scripted off the field. Re-signing Jack Conklin would also do wonders for the Titans' offense ahead of the new league year.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 10:24 AM ET

In redraft I consider him still in a contract year, should have another solid season with consistency at QB. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thrilled he is back.

The problem with franchise tag is that makes the player money hungry the following year (although idk if they can tag twice in this CBA) and if he wanted Zeke money now, he'll want more next year.

There's already talk of a holdout and how the Titans should sign him long-term but the RB market really does favor the Titans choice to go with one year here. It's sad for backs but they burn out quick. As far as the holdout stuff, he hasn't said squat. "His people" though do bring up a great point- best HS RB ever, arguably one of the best college runners and he had to get paid as a 2nd rounder. Now after he leads the league in rushing and takes the Titans to the AFCG, he is about paid like a 2nd rounder again.

Most NFL teams do not have 15 mil available in late July. There are usually 3-4 bad teams that won't spend the cap that do and they almost never make a move because it'd be using that cap. There's late offseason trade talk but I think there's no way that happens.

I still expect the back from BC to be drafted by the Titans. He was getting his share of publicity and rising up draft boards til the CV hit. I like Derrick Henry not light and Henry .90 nicknames. If a big monster back that isn't shifty enough and has questionable hands can fall just enough he's a lock to be a Titan. That's gonna be "lookout NFL" if the Titans can pull that off. If they can't and suppose he goes in the first round, then that would translate as he profited off Henry's success while Henry didn't. He's a real interesting rook to be

I still expect the back from BC to be drafted by the Titans. He was getting his share of publicity and rising up draft boards til the CV hit. I like Derrick Henry not light and Henry .90 nicknames. If a big monster back that isn't shifty enough and has questionable hands can fall just enough he's a lock to be a Titan. That's gonna be "lookout NFL" if the Titans can pull that off. If they can't and suppose he goes in the first round, then that would translate as he profited off Henry's success while Henry didn't. He's a real interesting rook to be
If they want a guy like that in the second, they may as well take him 29th and get the option of a fifth year

What 2020 first round pick would you trade him for or trade to get him?  I'm thinking at least a 1.03. How do others rank his value compared to this crop of rookies?

It's so strange. I agree with you. If I had the 1.01 I wouldn't trade it for him either.

But I own Henry and wouldn't accept the 1.01 for him.

What the hell does that mean? That we over value what we own?
Well you don't have the 1.01 so you can't really be certain you'd refuse Henry for it. 

There's also the fear-of-failure factor.  Sitting tight is easy on big decisions and if you're wrong in 6 months it's a lot easier to live with.  I have a friend that has said many times "I won't trade because I'm afraid to get it wrong".  I keep telling him he might be getting it wrong by sitting tight and every time he just replies "the devil you know" which I don't even think is the correct use of that phrase.

I think he's a situational one - if you're win now he's worth the 1.01 because he's young enough that it could still pay long term and there's just enough risk with rookies that taking his sure points is attractive.

I own Henry and don't think I'd give him up even for that. I am in a "win now" mode though, so I just can't handle the thought of trading him and having him go nuts next year.
I probably would, but only because it's super flex. 

I got Henry, won it all last year with him and have a strong team going into this year...i'd pass on the 1.01, but the temptation is there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Titans RB Derrick Henry signed his $10.2 million franchise tender.

ESPN's Adam Schefter added that, "Two sides are still committed to working for a long-term extension before July 15." Either way, Henry is locked in as the Titans' bell-cow RB for 2020. The idea that Henry is game-script dependent isn't exactly true; he had at least 16 touches in every game last season. Still, his ceiling could actually be higher moving forward if the Titans don't find a viable replacement for scat back Dion Lewis. Henry won't be confused with Christian McCaffrey or Austin Ekeler as far as receiving ability is concerned, but he's still averaged a healthy 10.1 yards per reception during his four-year career. More targets could be on the way in 2020.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Apr 2, 2020, 9:06 AM ET

Hoping they add the Boston College back and their usual two scat backs.

I would not be surprised if they signed a FB from the XFL or one of the RBs from the XFL that can play FB. Remember, Henry does best with a FB and it is not even close for comparison.

2020 Tennessee Titans fantasy football team preview: Is a top-10 finish in the cards for second-year beast, A.J. Brown?

Excerpt:

Is Derrick Henry more likely to finish as the overall RB1 or fall outside the top 10?

Matt: Unfortunately, we just can’t project Derrick Henry for the type of passing-game volume that a back would need to push for such a finish. Henry isn’t some LeGarrette Blount-type, net negative as a receiver but the fact remains that no coaching staff has ever decided to use him much through the air. Could that suddenly change in 2020? Perhaps. And receiving back Dion Lewis was shown the door. Yet, we need to see that to truly project a finish like this. Without that, Henry is more likely to finish as RB11 simply due to touchdown variance, rather than smash all the way to RB1 overall.

Dalton: In 12 games after Ryan Tannehill took over at QB, Henry totaled 1,695 yards with 15 touchdowns while playing through a legitimate lower leg injury. Dion Lewis has since left (the team seemingly replaced him with rookie Darrynton Evans, but the depth chart couldn’t be thinner after the third-rounder), and Henry quietly ranks top-five in yards per target among RBs over the last three years, so there’s plenty of reason for him to be more involved as a receiver in 2020. Given he’s the league’s best runner with the ball in his hands who also happens to be in a terrific situation, Henry is far likelier to finish as the overall RB1 than outside the top-10. In 0.5 PPR, he might even be the favorite to finish No. 1.

Andy: Look, Henry is an absolute terror as a ball-carrier and he’s a decent bet to go back-to-back as the NFL’s leader in rushing touchdowns. He needs to be drafted as a top-10 running back in every format. But finish as the No. 1 overall RB in half-PPR scoring? No, not gonna happen. Henry’s career-high in receptions in any season is just 18. Thirteen different backs caught at least 50 passes last year and four of them finished with double-digit touchdowns. I like Henry as much as anyone, but he’s not about to outscore the entire field.

I doubt he'll be RB1.  But I also don't think anyone will be shocked if he runs for 2,000 yards.  He got 321 touches in 15 games.  The volume will be there again.  

Users who are viewing this thread