What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Official Kicker (K) Thread (7 Viewers)

Ok, I waited for the bustling kicker news to settle down a bit, and this topic hasn’t moved since Tuesday. 

So...without further ado, welcome to the 2nd officially unofficial kicker contest! 

Easy to win!  :pickle:

Even easier to lose!  :sadbanana:

But hopefully fun to play & let’s face it: we all, deep down inside, want to love kickers. And what better way to love a kicker than with 2 bottles of gourmet hot sauce? (Er, at least without having a restraining order slapped on you)  :wub:   

The rules are simple, but have been slightly altered by request from the peanut gallery. 

1. USA only. Sorry foreigners - my generosity runs only so deep & international postage is brutal. 

2. Get your guess in by 5 mins before kickoff, by time-stamp. 

3. No editing of posts. If you make a mistake or change your guess, clear that post & post again. An edited post is an automatic DQ. Them’s the rules. 

4. There is one (1) entry allowed per FBG member.

5. IMPORTANT NEW RULEWhen you submit your guess, please provide a brief (less than 40 word) explanation for why you believe your kicker will be the best kicker this week. Field or weather conditions; team vs defense; you like the set of his jaw & the steely look in his eye; you personally sold him steroids; etc. That way this topic stays on point for the kicker purists. You must post an explanation to qualify. 

AND NOW THE SPECIFIC CONTEST GUESSIFICATION RULES:

Post your guesses of the following metrics:

• Which kicker will score the most points week 5, using standard FFB performance scoring. .1/1, anything up to 30 yards = 3 points. 31 yards = 3.1 points, 37 yards = 3.7, etc. A PAT is 1 point.

• Any trick plays/botched FG resulting in points are points. Direct snap to the kicker, runs for a 47 yard TD? That’s 10.7 for your kicker. (and my god I would love to see that happen. How absolutely glorious. :wub:

• what the long distance FG for that kicker will be. Guessing over is ok - it’s “closest to the number” that matters here. This ain’t The Price is Right. 

• how many PAT/FG they will miss this week. That number can be 0, of course. Just one more way to avoid ties. 

TIEBREAKERS: In the event of two people with the same guess (same K, same long, same # missed), time-stamp decides it.  First to post that guess wins. 

In the extremely unlikely event of 2 different kickers having identical winning metrics, and two FBG members both guessing them correctly, both members will win. 

You still have time to get in before tonight’s game if you want a Pats or Colts K. Just get the guess in 5 mins before kickoff by time-stamp.

GOOD LUCK! 

:thumbup:

-HSG
Matt Prater.  47 yard long.  0 misses.

Reasoning?  Take your pick of the following:

1) Every year Prater has one game where he goes absolutely nuts for no apparent reason.  Detroit almost always shocks the world in one of its two matches vs. Green Bay (although sometimes they do it by being surprisingly awful instead of surprisingly good).  Decent chance these two factors align this week for a 5-7 FG outing.

2) I'm in a hurry and just want to throw in an entry because I like contests and hot sauce.

3) Aliens landed in the Motor City recently and were seen coming and going from the Lions' practice facility.  Matt Prater may well be a chimeric cyborg by now, who will destroy the entire state of Wisconsin if stopped by the Packers.

4) He's a kicker.  He has a leg.  He kicks footballs.  Any given Sunday.

Matt Prater.  47 yard long.  0 misses.

Reasoning?  Take your pick of the following:

1) Every year Prater has one game where he goes absolutely nuts for no apparent reason.  Detroit almost always shocks the world in one of its two matches vs. Green Bay (although sometimes they do it by being surprisingly awful instead of surprisingly good).  Decent chance these two factors align this week for a 5-7 FG outing.

2) I'm in a hurry and just want to throw in an entry because I like contests and hot sauce.

3) Aliens landed in the Motor City recently and were seen coming and going from the Lions' practice facility.  Matt Prater may well be a chimeric cyborg by now, who will destroy the entire state of Wisconsin if stopped by the Packers.

4) He's a kicker.  He has a leg.  He kicks footballs.  Any given Sunday.
Don’t suppose you’d want to list total points maybe? You know, so you don’t get DQ’d?

im just sayin.  :pickle:

ETA: my bad, I now realize I neglected to specifically say this, though everyone did guess total points as required. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t suppose you’d want to list total points maybe? You know, so you don’t get DQ’d?

im just sayin.  :pickle:

ETA: my bad, I now realize I neglected to specifically say this, though everyone did guess total points as required. 
Yep.  I was following the directions explicitly, and figured why commit to a stat projection that is likely to be wrong?

Strategy.  It's how you win at kicker.

Ok, ok...which is the first criterion?  Still "most points" with total as a tiebreaker? 

Matt Prater.  47 yard long.  0 misses. 22.2 points.
Pick the kicker with the highest points for the week.

closest to that kicker, with that number is the winner. then it’s long distance guess as tiebreaker.  

And MFG / MPAT if it comes to that. 

Dustin Hopkins - 18.1 points / 51 long / 0 misses

-Looking for games with high over/under and this is number 3

-In dome against a fairly poor defense

-Competent but not great offense

-Trying to be contrarian 

Matthew Prater  - 18 points, long of 54 yards/ 0 misses

Should be a high scoring game, Lions so far have terrible red zone stats thanks to Cooter's playcalling

If I win, I will select a recipient from my Lions brethren on here. Either that or have it sent to my American cousins in Washington state.

-Trying to be contrarian 
Hate kickers on underdog teams. Especially when there's risk of a team (NO) running away with the game and forcing the other team to go for TDs instead of FBs.

Surprised nobody talking about R. Bullock of Cinci. Home favorite, good offense. Could see Cinci controlling that game.

C. Sturgis also an option, but here's the thing: The guy isn't good. Misses XP and FGs left and right. Keep thinking that guy is going to get yanked mid game.

C. Sturgis also an option, but here's the thing: The guy isn't good. Misses XP and FGs left and right. Keep thinking that guy is going to get yanked mid game.
Yup, I dropped him after last week. Missing 2 XPs is inexcusable.

Ka'imi Fairbairn is up next. This is the 4th kicker for my team

-Trying to be contrarian 
Edited post. :(

gotta report without the edit my friend. Sorry - rules is rules. 

Matthew Prater  - 18 points, long of 54 yards/ 0 misses

Should be a high scoring game, Lions so far have terrible red zone stats thanks to Cooter's playcalling

If I win, I will select a recipient from my Lions brethren on here. Either that or have it sent to my American cousins in Washington state.
Edited post. Please repost without edit. 

:thumbup:

-Trying to be contrarian 

Santos 

13 points

48 yards

High o/u, Rams have a great offense, Seattle is a difficult place to play but the team should still score points. I'm expecting about 30 points for the team as a whole, which would be 3 touchdowns and 3 fg's because I like things to be balanced. That brings us to 12 points, and I bumped it to 13 because a baker's dozen is better than a regular dozen.

So what are Crosby owners doing? The good news is that he'll almost definitely keep the job, and unlike with other positions, we don't have to worry about a mid-game benching. Still, Succop is out there, and I'm thinking of grabbing him just to avoid the heartburn.

Is Greg the leg coming back in week 6 for the Rams?  Could use some good news in the K Dept.
He's sitting on waivers. Guy is automatic with that offense. Even if he isn't projected back this week it seems like he's close. I may pull the trigger even if he has to sit a week.

He's sitting on waivers. Guy is automatic with that offense. Even if he isn't projected back this week it seems like he's close. I may pull the trigger even if he has to sit a week.
I have a very short bench (3 spots), so holding 2 kickers isn't a good thing.  I don't mind him being buried in the WW for now, but saw that he started collecting projected points with week 6, so hoping he's back.

So what are Crosby owners doing? The good news is that he'll almost definitely keep the job, and unlike with other positions, we don't have to worry about a mid-game benching. Still, Succop is out there, and I'm thinking of grabbing him just to avoid the heartburn.
I (sigh) am sticking with the fellow.  If it happens again, gone!

Ditto - he's on waivers and Elliott is simply not getting it done for me this year -- on his own, and this Philly offense is sputtering compared to last year.

Any word on Greg's health? And if it's the kind of injury that kickers are susceptible to reinjure? Bye week in WK 12 is solid.

Just read he is Day-2-Day right now, possibly not ready until Wk 7.  I was looking to grab him off WW myself, but may wait a few days, if not until next week.
Ah, good catch. In that case I'll wait. Will probably try to pick up Succop after waivers clear tomorrow. I have him on my other team. His offense is terrible, which makes me nervous that a goose egg is always on the horizon, but he keeps putting up points.

But yeah, the moment Zuerlein is declared active, I'm grabbing him. There's still the injury risk (and maybe the risk that McVay finally decides his offense is so good he never needs to kick again), but that leg + that offense = fantasy gold.

Just read he is Day-2-Day right now, possibly not ready until Wk 7.  I was looking to grab him off WW myself, but may wait a few days, if not until next week.
Making progress with no setbacks and an expected answer Wednesday or Thursday sounds like he's playing.   From what I read, he was awfully close to playing this Sunday.   I have Prater on bye next week and he's on waivers in my league, so I'm throwing some blind bid dollars at him.   There's one other team that has a kicker on a bye this week, so I'll willing to slightly overpay.   If he plays, it's worth it as I'll have the best kicker in the league through week 12, when I'll be through the byes and can drop a couple depth players anyway.

Speaking Tuesday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said the team would be sticking with Chris Boswell at kicker.

Mason Crosby got all the Week 5 attention, but Boswell continued to struggle, missing an extra point. He's missed three on the year and is just 3-of-6 on field goal attempts. Unfortunately for the Steelers, they just lavished a four-year extension on Boswell in August. They're stuck with him unless he melts all the way down.

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Oct 9 - 2:51 PM

My league punishes missed kicks pretty severely. Fortunately, I would have lost my game even if Crosby made all his kicks. I just would have lost by 10 points, not 31.

?

I’ll start no kicker in week 6 before I start Crosby  

Hi folks - had a really busy day today & on the road for most of It. 

I’ll be looking through the K contest in a couple hours & posting a recap. 

If you had Gano & guessed 63, congratulations! 

Without further ado, the results of this week's officially unofficial kicker contest! 

Sorry about the formatting - I don't get paid for this ya know. ;)  

member    Kicker    FG Long    FGM/MPAT    Points    Actual Points    Actual long
4th&inches    Crosby     49    1    16.7    5.1    41
TripleThreat    Crosby    52    1    17    5.1    41
simsarge    Santos    ?    0    14.7    6.9    39
Hilts    Santos     48    0    13    6.9    39
Gottabesweet    Lutz    44    0    16.1    8.4    44
Arodin    Prater    47    0    22.2    8.9    39
TartanLion    Prater    54    0    18    8.9    39
Spock    Gostkowski    51    0    17.2    9.5    45
Long Ball Larry    Hopkins    51    0    18.1    10.3    53 
CowboysHomer    Elliott     ?    0    15.3    DQ'd - no long listed    

Congratulations to @Long Ball Larry - jacked up week for kickers! No one was particularly close, so it came down to tiebreakers as almost everyone's total points guesses were 6-8 points off of the actual total. 

But your guess of a 51 yard long was just 2 yards off of the actual long of 53 (longest among this week's guesses, too), and at 10.3 points, Hopkins was this week's highest scoring kicker.

Send me a PM, and we'll work out the details!  :pickle:

Thanks for playing everyone!  Look for another random contest, uh, randomly. lol 

:hifive:

My kicker (Lutz) has a bye week.  Would you drop him ROS or keep on the roster. Looking to pick up Fairbairn or Bailey (assuming Zuerlein is not back). I don't really want to drop Dion Lewis or Keke Coutee to retain a kicker. I could also drop Houston D/ST, but with Buffalo looming in Week 6, I don't want to drop them either. On the other hand, I think Lutz is top three play ROS and I won't have to worry about this position after this week...

My kicker (Lutz) has a bye week.  Would you drop him ROS or keep on the roster. Looking to pick up Fairbairn or Bailey (assuming Zuerlein is not back). I don't really want to drop Dion Lewis or Keke Coutee to retain a kicker. I could also drop Houston D/ST, but with Buffalo looming in Week 6, I don't want to drop them either. On the other hand, I think Lutz is top three play ROS and I won't have to worry about this position after this week...
We’ve talked about that a bit in here before  - you almost have to keep Lutz. You paid a lot for him. He’s a top scoring K.

BYE weeks become more painful when you invest in a kicker. 

Users who are viewing this thread