What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The bad/lucky team that wins the low scoring games in your league (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Every league has that bad team with like the 8th highest scoring total that just gets lucky every week and wins the low scoring matchup, I’m that team in the Finals this year, I don’t deserve to be here. Anyone else? Let’s see that crappy championship roster:

- Purdy
- St-Brown
- Ridley
- Ekeler
- J Taylor
- Hock (might be rolling Gerald Everett in the finals, pretty fitting ending :lmao:)
- Mixon
- Meyers or Godwin
- Tucker (needed 12 points last night with him & Purdy, drafting a kicker in the 12th round paid off last night)
- Defense (rotational)

Any championship roster as bad as this? Clock probably strikes midnight this week, but a title game is a good season regardless.

Last edited:
I didn't even make the playoffs and i scored 300 points more than then 2nd place team in a 1/2 ppr league...dem's the breaks

I was the 2nd top scoring team in the league

Had a great high scoring squad but lots of injuries. I somehow made the FF championship with Goff as my QB1.

I lost Burrow, Chase, Waddle has a HAS, Reed is beat up, Wicks got hurt & didn’t return, Pacheco is concussed. Still have Olave, Hall, Gibbs, LaPorta & Njoku but gonna need a miraculous final to win.

It happens sometimes.

It's why I think a league should split the prize pool pot and do half for the Head to Head and the other half how they finish in points.
My main redraft gives money to the top 3 in HTH, the top 3 in total points and the top 3 in all-play record. The total points and HTH payouts are the same, the all-play payout is a little less.

Last year I was the lucky team and made the finals because every team I faced in the second half of the regular season and the first two rounds of the playoffs put up a dud. All I got was the second-place HTH money because I didn’t sniff anywhere near the top 3 in total points or all-play.

This year I am first in total points and all-play but lost in the semis because my opponent put up the weekly high score and I had Waddle and Addison get injured mid-game.

These are the reasons why we do this.

Every league has that bad team with like the 8th highest scoring total that just gets lucky every week and wins the low scoring matchup, I’m that team in the Finals this year, I don’t deserve to be here. Anyone else? Let’s see that crappy championship roster:

- Purdy
- St-Brown
- Ridley
- Ekeler
- J Taylor
- Hock (might be rolling Gerald Everett in the finals, pretty fitting ending :lmao:)
- Mixon
- Meyers or Godwin
- Tucker (needed 12 points last night with him & Purdy, drafting a kicker in the 12th round paid off last night)
- Defense (rotational)

Any championship roster as bad as this? Clock probably strikes midnight this week, but a title game is a good season regardless.
So the number 2 TE, number 3 K, number 6 QB, number 5 WR, number 9 RB

- Purdy
- St-Brown
- Ridley
- Ekeler
- J Taylor
- Mixon
- Meyers or Godwin
- Defense (rotational)

So the number 2 TE, number 3 K, number 6 QB, number 5 WR, number 9 RB
This league is 10 teams. This roster is awful for 10 teams to add context. Brown/Hock were basically my only good draft picks.

All-play or total points makes the most sense to determine the best team. But it's just so boring. Head to head you can root against a particular squad, not literally everyone not on your team. Plus, there's minimal trash talk in all-play.

All-play or total points makes the most sense to determine the best team. But it's just so boring. Head to head you can root against a particular squad, not literally everyone not on your team. Plus, there's minimal trash talk in all-play.
Regular season play two games each week. One against an opponent, one against the league average.

In the league playoffs, top 4 teams are in the playoffs. Playoffs are the sum of three scores: weekly average over the season, plus Weeks 16 and 17 scores.

We've done this for 15 years now. It's a great system.

I'm in a 12 team league, where the team with the 2nd-lowest point total is now in the championship round (playing against the 5th highest scoring team). I finished 3rd in scoring and missed the playoffs. I'm probably done with fantasy(at least for a while), but if I return, it will never be in a regular head-to-head league.

All-play or the method DEADHEAD mentioned above, of 2 games each week(1 vs opponent, 1 vs league average) seem like the way to go.
I used to always play total points back when I first started, but I get how they can be less fun(also seem to be impossible to find anymore)

On the flipside, head to head adds a ton of fun. Especially in Home Leagues where the GMs know each other. So I'm a big fan of keeping that in some form and not abandoning for total points or all play. I just think it needs a combination of points in there so a team that doesn't get totally punished for drawing a bad schedule.

We just switched this season to the system Desdhead uses except that we left playoffs at straight H2H. We made the switch primarily on my urging after my bad luck repeatedly screwed me over. It worked great this year and did its job during the regular season.

That being said, I’ve been fairly lucky in the playoffs. I scrapped together a team lead by Josh Allen and a bunch of average scoring guys that pretty much all stayed healthy that consistently put up decent points but really nothing ever super high scoring. So far I’ve lucked through the playoffs and now will likely get smashed in the championship.

But the only league I still play in is just for pride. Mostly the same group of guys for 25 years now. With no money involved, no need to split a pot.

It was me.

Purdy
Saquon
RB2 has changed every game. Currently Zamir White
Tyreek
Aiyuk
Kincaid
Flowers

Had Diontae, Jaylen Warren, Roschon and Charbonnet most of the year also.

Or the opposite. I won’t bore you with our rules - but we play through the regular and NFL playoffs.

I have outscored the closest team by over 200 points and just this week pulled into a tie for second. (Currently on a 6 game win streak)

I had 4 losses this year where I was 2nd highest scoring of the week and played the highest.

Fantasy is a crazy game…

The beauty of the way football aligns itself for fantasy purposes it allows for a natural H2H schedule and situation. It doesn't have to be "fair" or always have the highest scoring team rewarded. Just like in regular football games....the best team doesn't always win. It is what makes football better than other sports for fantasy purposes. All play, or total points, etc just isn't as fun.

On the flipside, head to head adds a ton of fun. Especially in Home Leagues where the GMs know each other. So I'm a big fan of keeping that in some form and not abandoning for total points or all play. I just think it needs a combination of points in there so a team that doesn't get totally punished for drawing a bad schedule.
The best way I have found to do that and still maintain the H2H fun is to set aside the last couple playoff spots to the highest scoring teams not getting in the playoffs by record. So in a 12 team league we have 6 make the playoffs. So the top 4 by record and then the two highest scoring teams that aren't in those top 4. So if you get blasted by schedule luck but scored a ton of points you will be in the playoffs .

It happens sometimes.

It's why I think a league should split the prize pool pot and do half for the Head to Head and the other half how they finish in points.

4 times I have had the highest scoring team for the season and never won it all.

Have won it twice with the lowest team in the playoffs, and twice with a mediocre team. 7-8 years ago we started giving 500.00 to the team that leads the league in scoring for the season regardless of how playoffs end up.

"That guy" in our league this season is in the championship game this week. His team isn't *bad*, per se (his team scored the 3rd-highest points in the league in the regular season), but every week somebody was having their worst week of the season playing him.

His "Actual Wins" statistic was 22% higher than his "All-Play Wins" statistic.
His "Points Against" statistic was 13.5% lower than the league's average "Points Against" statistic (10% lower than the next-lowest team).

Both of those markers were far and away the luckiest in our league this season.

The beauty of the way football aligns itself for fantasy purposes it allows for a natural H2H schedule and situation. It doesn't have to be "fair" or always have the highest scoring team rewarded. Just like in regular football games....the best team doesn't always win. It is what makes football better than other sports for fantasy purposes. All play, or total points, etc just isn't as fun.
Have seen several comments about total points being boring.

My main league (keeper) is total points only but we don’t find it boring. I agree that it takes out some of the weekly head to head excitement, and once you fall way back in points, the interest level falls off for some.

But at the end of the day, we would rather see the best team all season long, not just weeks 15-17, emerge as the winner. It also matters that we are a deep keeper league (keep 8) and we take great pride in building our teams year over year - so seeing the fruits of one’s effort for the whole season is gratifying.

All that said, every league is different and we acknowledge that.

But at the end of the day, we would rather see the best team all season long, not just weeks 15-17, emerge as the winner.
We don't do playoff to avoid the week 15-17 hot streak winner. Best record through 18 weeks.

Total points leagues just misses the best part which is the matchups. Just too much Ike roto style which I hate but like you said....to each their own

But at the end of the day, we would rather see the best team all season long, not just weeks 15-17, emerge as the winner.
We don't do playoff to avoid the week 15-17 hot streak winner. Best record through 18 weeks.

Total points leagues just misses the best part which is the matchups. Just too much Ike roto style which I hate but like you said....to each their own
We’re not like roto/best ball because you still need to field a starting lineup. The difference is you’re playing against the league each week rather than a single opponent.

We’re not like roto/best ball because you still need to field a starting lineup. The difference is you’re playing against the league each week rather than a single opponent.
Roto style fields a lineup but it just goes total points (or categories for baseball) so no matchups. Just terrible IMO. Boring as you have no opponent because you are playing against everyone.

Oh, my championship game team is much worse than those listed above. 12 team ppr.

QB - Browning (was Herbert)
RB1 - Bijan
RB2 - Elliott (was Rhamondre)
WR1 - Puca since week 2
WR2 - Lockett (was Tank from wk6 until injury)
Flex - Gibbs
TE - Goedert, then Engram, then McBride
K - Aubrey
D - Colts for much of the year

Bench includes Spears, Addison, Downs.

Bad. And I took down the dominating #1 seed in the semis this past week.

I'm not apologizing though! I've been on the other side many times (high in points but always losing to the weekly high scorer, etc.)

Go little underdog team, go!

No idea why every league isn't Victory Points these days. It's the perfect mixture.

An older thread here https://forums.footballguys.com/thr...points-and-why-how-would-one-use-them.762690/

Can you elaborate there what you like most and how your league does them?
2 for a Win
1 for a Tie
0 for a Loss

PLUS AN ADDITIONAL

2 for top 4 scoring team of the week
1 for middle 4 scoring team of the week
0 for bottom 4 scoring team of the week

Almost all of my leagues operate this way. It's the perfect balance and takes out a BIT of luck from matchups, but not all of it, and has you invested in your players/other teams' players until the very end of every week. Usually it doesn't switch things up too much from just wins/losses, but adjusts it for extremely lucky and extremely unlucky teams in terms of their matchups.

The 14-1, number one seeded team was also the highest scoring team in our league. He lost in the semifinals with the lowest score of the week. Sucks for him but that's they way FF goes.

Lol, I won my league going up against the guy who had Hurts, Hill, Lamb, and Jefferson. Most of my guys had pretty solid weeks, but it really ended up being the Houston defense that won it for me. Bad beat for my opponent for sure.

Team with the best record and most points scored on the year (by a mile) lost in the semis, and then lost in the consolation. Karma is a real thing, cause he’s a douche.

Lol, I won my league going up against the guy who had Hurts, Hill, Lamb, and Jefferson. Most of my guys had pretty solid weeks, but it really ended up being the Houston defense that won it for me. Bad beat for my opponent for sure.
I pulled off a similar win in one of my leagues. Due to losing Chubb right away and waiting in the draft to take a WR my very middling team (8-6, average total points for the league) just took down the clear favorite team who had Lamb, Jefferson, Pacheco, and Gibbs thanks in large part to the 42 points I got from the Jacksonville defense and my fortune in grabbing Kyren Williams early on in the season. Leaguemates making a strong call for luck (I've won the league a number of times and the guy I beat this year is well-liked) but, frankly, it's a league with a lot of volatility due to thin benches and an aggressive scoring system which actually makes defenses and kickers meaningful. So, I think this gives me an edge as I tend to be more active on the waiver wire and looking forward to upcoming matches so I can stream a defense multiple weeks in advance.

But, yeah, of my seven fantasy teams this season this would have been a bottom 2 or 3 that I thought could win it. My strongest team was upset in round one and a couple of my other relatively strong teams ran into buzz saws in the first round as well so I figured this evens out (and I'll take 2 championships out of 7 leagues).

longtime competitive league of 4 bros and their football junky friends, last year I was 2nd in points finished 9th. this year backed into the playoffs with a roster of old gum and tinfoil, gloriously rode the steed of Nick Mullens' real-life benching-worthy performances over the top two seeds, put up a paltry 114 in the finals, won anyways, while the consolation game put up a combined 340 points.

- Purdy
- St-Brown
- Ridley
- Ekeler
- J Taylor
- Mixon
- Meyers or Godwin
- Defense (rotational)

Part of the game.

I had the highest scoring team in my 16 team start up PPR IDP TE-P SF this year.

Won 12 in a row to get to the post season, regularly crossing the 400 point threshold (~350 is a good week in that league. 320-340 often wins). Looking at the league records, I had 8 of the highest scores of the year.

Put up my lowest score of the season in week 15, and lost to the 6-seed 110.25 - 109.65

Luck will always be a factor. In my case it was the Raiders / Chargers fiasco. Spillane + Maxx didn’t play most of the 2nd half. Two of my cornerstone IDP guys. They scored a combined 23, when that was their typical ave per game individually.

The 16 team league I won it all in with the same format, I was the scrappy 6-seed that backed into the playoffs on a 6-way tiebreaker (points allowed against one team, H2H against 3 others, points for against another) - knocked off the 3-seed (1-2 had a BYE) by less than 4 points on Love’s interception against the Eagles, put up a ridiculous league history-high 511 in week 16 to crush the 1-seed by over 130, then had Ty Chandler + Mettelus (two waiver adds from the last 2 seasons) beat Justin Jefferson & Tyler Kraft last night. :shrug: My 1st ship in years.

Any given Sunday. I’d rather be lucky than good. Scrubby teams deserve love, too (speaking of, Julian Love was my PMVP)

Second lowest scoring team just won our league. Doesn't even seem possible as they were only 8 points away from being the worst. In the first round of the playoffs they put up a pathetic score, but their opponent put up the worst score anyone posted all season. That was the only person in the league that they would have beaten, in the playoffs or not. Seemed to be a recurring theme all season as this was how they got the 7-7 record to qualify in the first place and finished 6th.

Then they won the semifinals because Lamar Jackson took a late sack, keeping Justin Tucker from kicking the FG that would have beaten them. They would have also lost handily to either team in the other semifinal. In the finals, the best team in the league completely cratered, had their worst week of the entire season, and they put up their best score of the year by far to win.

I've never seen someone get so lucky with the way the schedule played out and how they caught opponents on terrible weeks. Other teams played high-scoring competitive games, but had the misfortune of playing other good teams at the wrong time instead of this cupcake. I feel like my league is somehow broken, but they won fair and square. I know they don't read much or put too much thought into their team. Now I'm wondering why I do, because this hobby is pretty much ALL luck.

Might be time for another temporary retirement from fantasy football to recharge the batteries again. That wasn't really fun seeing that happening. Frankly it seemed completely pointless.

The team that just barely made the playoffs (plus had a low points scored per game) beat the three best teams in the league to win it all. He, literally, beat the only team that he could beat each week.

One league I play in does double-headers. Had a guy start out 24-0 with the 4th most points scored in the league. Almost impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread