What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread! Current thread batting average: .420 (4 Viewers)

Rotoworld has updated their depth chart and now have Brad Miller as their starting CF, moving super-glove Kevin Keirmaier to the bench. Rotoworld.com, ladies and gentleman!

Rotoworld has updated their depth chart and now have Brad Miller as their starting CF, moving super-glove Kevin Keirmaier to the bench. Rotoworld.com, ladies and gentleman!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, that place is operated by outsourced labor.

Royals pick up options on Wade Davis and Alcides Escobar.

Both were expected. Davis's transformation into unhittable reliever is every bit the logic-defying positive outcome it was on paper. It's a big check, but with Holland probably missing next season if not leaving the organization entirely, had to do it.

Escobar is an 8-9 hitter batting leadoff, but that's the sort of thing that happens when Yost is filling out the lineup card. There's a couple MI kids almost ready for the show, but Escobar is still relatively inexpensive and part of the core that brought about this turnaround.

ETA: Royals also declined Gomes's option. Resume your outrage over Gomes's performance at the World Series Victory Rally over in the World Series or Royals threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cubs talking to Indians about Carrasco and Salazar. I'm sure they'll do their due diligence, but these teams make so much sense as trade partners, I wouldn't be surprised to see them work something out early so they can both move on to next steps.

Cardinals give QOs to Heyward and Lackey.

No surprise on Heyward. He will be swimming in it before too long.

Mildly surprised on Lackey, but the season he just had was worth more than $15.8MM.

Mildly surprised on Lackey, but the season he just had was worth more than $15.8MM.
If you're Lackey, you're railroaded into accepting the QO, arent you?

Guy's 37. I can't see some one giving up a draft pick for him

If you're Lackey, you're railroaded into accepting the QO, arent you?

Guy's 37. I can't see some one giving up a draft pick for him
If he accepts it, he'll be the answer to a trivia question for as long as they play the game.

If you're Lackey, you're railroaded into accepting the QO, arent you?Guy's 37. I can't see some one giving up a draft pick for him
Marco Estrada qualified as well, could this be the year one is accepted?

With a WAR nearing or having surpassed $8mm on the FA market, it does make some sense. But yeah, I would think there's a good chance Lackey would accept.

Byung-ho Park auction winner is revealed today!

I think for the Jays, qualifying Estrada was a no brainer. If we assume they won't sign a top tier SP, they need at least one from the mid-tier that Estrada is in. Realistically he's not getting more than $16 million AAV on a one year deal, so he could accept if he really believes in his skills/health and go year to year to maximize his value.

Or he could get more term/less AAV (3 years 30-40 million is where I've always put him). From the Jays perspective, qualifying him makes it a lot more likely that it's Toronto that he accepts that with, because who wants to give up a first round pick (in addition to $30 million) for Marco Estrada.

@blackwings2011: The exact amount of the high bidding on Byung Ho Park : $12,850,000

Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Cardinals "tendered an unsuccessful bid" for Byung-Ho Park.
Cross another team off the list. In addition to the Cardinals, other squads that are known to have either fallen short on their bid or didn't bid at all for Park include the Red Sox, Rangers, A's, Padres, Indians and Orioles. The winning bid for Park was $12.85 million, and we should find out before long which club submitted it.
Related: Cardinals

Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Cardinals "tendered an unsuccessful bid" for Byung-Ho Park.
Cross another team off the list. In addition to the Cardinals, other squads that are known to have either fallen short on their bid or didn't bid at all for Park include the Red Sox, Rangers, A's, Padres, Indians and Orioles. The winning bid for Park was $12.85 million, and we should find out before long which club submitted it.
Also cut Tigers, Blue Jays, both New Yorks and LAs, Nationals, Rockies, Giants, Mariners, Diamondbacks, Marlins, Royals, Braves, Rays, and Pirates. All those teams have confirmed either "didn't bid" or "didn't win".

That leaves Phillies, Brewers, Reds, Cubs, White Sox, Twins, and Astros.

Astros seem to make the most sense from that list. Team should be in the 2016 postseason hunt and got nothing out of 1B in 2015.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Limp Ditka" data-cid="18560996" data-time="1446778914"><p><p>Dee Gordon - 2B - MarlinsBarry Jackson of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins will explore making Dee Gordon an offer for a multi-year contract extension.Though he isn't eligible to hit free agency until after the 2019 season, the Marlins are eager to lock him up for the long haul. The 27-year-old shortstop won his first batting title by hitting .333 in 2015 and also paced the National League with 58 stolen bases.Source: Miami HeraldNov 8 - 6:55 PM

Also cut Tigers, Blue Jays, both New Yorks and LAs, Nationals, Rockies, Giants, Mariners, Diamondbacks, Marlins, Royals, Braves, Rays, and Pirates. All those teams have confirmed either "didn't bid" or "didn't win".

That leaves Phillies, Brewers, Reds, Cubs, White Sox, Twins, and Astros.

Astros seem to make the most sense from that list. Team should be in the 2016 postseason hunt and got nothing out of 1B in 2015.
That would seem to eliminate the Reds on both counts.

Is it wrong that my opinion of Park went down because it's the Twins who won? For some reason I think if he was good, a 'smarter' team would have gotten him.

Is it wrong that my opinion of Park went down because it's the Twins who won? For some reason I think if he was good, a 'smarter' team would have gotten him.
You mean just like the Pirates getting Kang last year?
Is there a lot of feeling out there that the Pirates are 'dumb' ? I mean, I know their good Moneyball-ish reputation has been mostly built on pitching and Ray Searage, but I'd at least consider their front office to be average.

Is there a lot of feeling out there that the Pirates are 'dumb' ? I mean, I know their good Moneyball-ish reputation has been mostly built on pitching and Ray Searage, but I'd at least consider their front office to be average.
Most everyone had the Twins as a top 5 minor league system going into last year. Hardly a mark of a dumb team.

83 wins in 2015 and playing meaningful games into the last week of the season, with some of the pieces of that system making an impact, show that this team is moving in the right direction.

Most everyone had the Twins as a top 5 minor league system going into last year. Hardly a mark of a dumb team.

83 wins in 2015 and playing meaningful games into the last week of the season, with some of the pieces of that system making an impact, show that this team is moving in the right direction.
A strong minor league system usually comes along with a prolonged lack of success. Giving a $50M deal to Ricky Nolasco is a mark of a dumb team.

Most everyone had the Twins as a top 5 minor league system going into last year. Hardly a mark of a dumb team.83 wins in 2015 and playing meaningful games into the last week of the season, with some of the pieces of that system making an impact, show that this team is moving in the right direction.
A strong minor league system usually comes along with a prolonged lack of success. Giving a $50M deal to Ricky Nolasco is a mark of a dumb team.
Cubs gave Edwin Jackson about the same, so they must be pretty dumb too. Amirite?

To be fair, they did sign Jackson in 2013 near the nadir of their rebuild/salary ramp-down. They weren't exactly throwing gobs of money around like they were the Dodgers or anything.

If a big FA whiff = dumb team, well :shrug:

@blackwings2011: The exact amount of the high bidding on Byung Ho Park : $12,850,000
Korean Twitter is saying....TRE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111
Tsuyoshi Nishioka 2.0
Korean Twitter is saying....TRE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111
Tsuyoshi Nishioka 2.0
Eephus no

Users who are viewing this thread