What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Did PFF Do? (1 Viewer)

WhoDat

Footballguy
I no longer have access to their sortable, premium stats but I do have access to some BS, version 1 of an Atari football game chart

Can someone tell me if the Fantasy Gold has the data that was part of the Premium Stats in some form or fashion or is that information no longer available in any shape?

Hey, PFF, really good business model. Change your format and paid content for paying customer mid season of football

Any help appreciated

Some of the conspiracy theorists out there say that the big DFS sites paid PFF to stop providing them so that their top players (employees) could keep their edge.

It sucks but I've switched to Football Outsiders.

Are you blanking kidding me? Their Prem Stats package was GOLD, Jerry, GOLD!

SO ... what does their other 2 stat offerings look like?

Does Football Outsiders compare ... as logical; easy to use, etc?

What is upsetting is that I have had a subscription for a period of time and, now, it will not renew.

From what I gather, PFF had made the decision to transform their premium stats that a few NFL teams were using, into a more user friendly version catered more toward NFLteams/scouting departments where the data could be "dumped" into the coaches system. Cris Collinsworth bought into PFF sometime last year. I don't know if him coming in had anything to do with the changing of direction in their premium stats product.

Last edited by a moderator:
I no longer have access to their sortable, premium stats but I do have access to some BS, version 1 of an Atari football game chart

Can someone tell me if the Fantasy Gold has the data that was part of the Premium Stats in some form or fashion or is that information no longer available in any shape?

Hey, PFF, really good business model. Change your format and paid content for paying customer mid season of football

Any help appreciated
I agree mid-season it was not a good idea. Sadly I also imagine people can ask for and get a refund but few will.

As someone else said, I heard it had to do with the NFL teams. About the same time PFF did this, team reporters (team website, not local reporter from local paper) started tweeting some pff stats each week. It's been "on the regular" and never before so ...I think it has to do with NFL teams.

Every PFF guy seems very nice and engaging by emails. Just ask

Personally, I started to get upset with their OL stats. Titans were on about their 4th string OL due to injuries and some of them were getting roasted and PFF was giving favorable scores. I re-watched and focused as best I could on the linemen they gave nice scores too. My thoughts were very much not favorable. I have read others discuss how some DB stats were not correct IE this CB was not on that WR much at all. I didn't find what they listed so I could not verify that PFF posted anything incorrectly. I did notice a PFF person saying how a S was doing very well against TEs so don't start that TE and...he was wrong, that team used a LB on the TE almost exclusively.

PFF was extremely highly regarded. This flack from people came out initially but went away. It had been some time since people questioned the validity of their stats. I think it's possible they made this change to turn that faucet off too. That's not good for their brand.

When I saw a deal with ESPN...big kudos to them of course. What FF site wouldn't like that? Still we all know ESPN has their own statistics dept. I wondered and half-expect some sort of takeover or agreeable buyout where the typical PFF stats become ESPN stats. It doesn't seem like sound business to have two staffs (ESPNs and PFFs) looking at the same NFL stats all day. I imagine like Florio and Rosenthal with MSNBC years ago, we'll see Clay and them used similarly and a big smile on their face as they think of their bank accounts.

Any help appreciated
I agree mid-season it was not a good idea. Sadly I also imagine people can ask for and get a refund but few will.

As someone else said, I heard it had to do with the NFL teams. About the same time PFF did this, team reporters (team website, not local reporter from local paper) started tweeting some pff stats each week. It's been "on the regular" and never before so ...I think it has to do with NFL teams.

Every PFF guy seems very nice and engaging by emails. Just ask

Personally, I started to get upset with their OL stats. Titans were on about their 4th string OL due to injuries and some of them were getting roasted and PFF was giving favorable scores. I re-watched and focused as best I could on the linemen they gave nice scores too. My thoughts were very much not favorable. I have read others discuss how some DB stats were not correct IE this CB was not on that WR much at all. I didn't find what they listed so I could not verify that PFF posted anything incorrectly. I did notice a PFF person saying how a S was doing very well against TEs so don't start that TE and...he was wrong, that team used a LB on the TE almost exclusively.

PFF was extremely highly regarded. This flack from people came out initially but went away. It had been some time since people questioned the validity of their stats. I think it's possible they made this change to turn that faucet off too. That's not good for their brand.

When I saw a deal with ESPN...big kudos to them of course. What FF site wouldn't like that? Still we all know ESPN has their own statistics dept. I wondered and half-expect some sort of takeover or agreeable buyout where the typical PFF stats become ESPN stats. It doesn't seem like sound business to have two staffs (ESPNs and PFFs) looking at the same NFL stats all day. I imagine like Florio and Rosenthal with MSNBC years ago, we'll see Clay and them used similarly and a big smile on their face as they think of their bank accounts.
Thanks. I get it but very unfortunate. Their little match-up offering with the jerseys is just dog blank.

How is it that some DFS experts still seem to have access to the PFF Premium Stats? I keep reading tweets/articles that say things like "Blidi Rey Wilson is the 3rd to last graded CB on PFF". Wasn't stuff like that part of the discontinued Premium package? If not, where is it available?

How is it that some DFS experts still seem to have access to the PFF Premium Stats? I keep reading tweets/articles that say things like "Blidi Rey Wilson is the 3rd to last graded CB on PFF". Wasn't stuff like that part of the discontinued Premium package? If not, where is it available?
that is still available in the fantasy gold package.

According to this, it doesnt. It's even in bold red letters.

the CB grades are included in the WR v CB matchup charts.

There are still a HIGH number of DFS writers quoting the Premium Stats package. People writing for this site included and it is total blank blank that information is still accessible to industry people but not the general public.

And DFS wonders why it has a slight image problem on their hands?

The idea that certain premium stat packages are only made available to certain industry/high volume players is a really, really big can of worms.

Only logical explanation as to why so many "writers" ... That also play a large volume ... Continue to quote specific player ratings. The Premuim Stats ratings not the BS Madden rankings. Or the team rankings. Or specific data around time spent in slot v outside, etc

It's complete bull blank

If a person subscribed to PFF Premium Stats at a strange time of year (i.e., Spring) in 2015, that person's subscription runs a full year from that date. Those individuals (writers) who are still quoting PFF likely fall into that category.

PFF decided that anybody who subscribed this Fall (August/September) would receive a refund and their subscription would not be valid through the 2015 NFL season. I did not like the policy then and don't like it now, but that is how things transpired...there is no access for high-volume players, etc (that I'm aware of).

Users who are viewing this thread