What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (8 Viewers)

Have a great back to back this weekend in New Orleans with Tedeschi-Trucks Band at the Saenger on Saturday and Chris Robinson's Brotherhood at the Civic on Sunday....and perhaps a visit to a portly self-important restaurateur somewhere in between.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a ticket to see Jason Isbell next week in Tucson. Pretty stoked, I love his music but have never seen him live. Its a nice small venue as well.  :pickle:

Saw Green Day last week in Tampa. Fantastic show. They were way better than I thought they'd be. Played nonstop for a solid 2.5 hours.

Thanks to hurricane Irma, we got screwed out of two shows at Coachman Park in Clearwater this week - Bryan Adams (for the GF) last Sunday, and Sammy Hagar next Sunday.

Both are rescheduling but who knows when they'll be, and if theyll stay at the same venue.

:angry:

We still have Tesla and Jack Johnson coming up in the next few weeks, so there's that.

Saw the 2nd show of the latest Paul McCartney tour, One-on-One, in Newark NJ on Tuesday.  Aside from the sound being slightly off, Paul still puts on a great show.  Nearly three hours, the last 1/3rd of this show is fantastic with hit-after-hit.  The middle 1/3rd is a little soft, with the combo of acoustic guitar and grand piano Paul followed up with three recent songs providing an ample spot for a bathroom run, but the first 1/3rd set the tone right with the mix of classic Wings and Beatles material.

My concert week started with this 75-year old ex-Beatle as the YOUNGEST headliner we will see this week, as we have the final show of this year's Outlaw Music Festival on deck to close out the week featuring the 81-year old Willie Nelson, with support from Eric Church, Sheryl Crow, The Avett Brothers and more.

Buddy I am seeing Jason Isbell with is really excited for the opening act of Frank Turner. I am not familiar with him but I guess in England he sells out stadiums. Anyone know Frank Turners music? I watched two you tube clips from Wembly stadium and best I can tell he does english bar room drinking music. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Buddy I am seeing Jason Isbell with is really excited for the opening act of Frank Turner. I am not familiar with him but I guess in England he sells out stadiums. Anyone know Frank Turners music? I watched two you tube clips from Wembly stadium and best I can tell he does english bar room drinking music. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Saw him open a few times - once for Gaslight Anthem and once last summer for Isbell (with Chris Stapleton co-headlining).  His music is fun for an opener, but I have not yet dug into the recorded catalog.  Can't tell you the go to song or album.

They do, but each of the last three albums with Sergio were terrific.

I played in a hardcore band with a bunch of younger skater straightedge kids that were way into Gorilla Biscuits, so I was kind of prepared for Quicksand, didn't have to stumble into them.  I've had "Head to Wall" running through my head ever since I saw your post.  :lol:
 It was a really good show, laughed about the LA scene.  

Listening to the stones on here at a bar. 

Reminds me how I went to their last tour EVER. Guys we're all so old and times had moved on.

That was the Steel Wheels Tour, 1989. (At Shea "it's a dump but it's OUR dump" Stadium.

I have two GA tics for Arcade Fire in Boston tomorrow night and my buddy just bailed.  I may take the wife if I can find a sitter. Anyone else going?

I went so long without going to a concert before last year and am determined to change that.

So far this year:
My Morning Jacket - Cincinnati
Phish - Dayton

Coming up:
Steve Winwood - Austin next week
Trey Anastasio with Nashville Symphony Orchestra in a few weeks
Mike Gordon - Cincinnati October
Dead and Company - Columbus November

Looks like I'll be missing Psychedelic Furs here in a couple of weeks too.  Getting badged and then deployed for FEMA starting Monday.  Worth it, but sad to miss show.

Saw Tears for Fears and Hall and Oates last night at Staples Center in LA.  Great show! Pretty much split with fans who went to see one or the other.  Tears for Fears opened and the place was already packed.  Both played all of their hits.  Don't know if I'd want to see just 1, but a split bill with these 2 was perfect.  Seasoned pros - very tight.

Eric Clapton Monday and Tom Petty Thursday.  3 in one week.  Already feeling run down between partying and work.  Need some rest this weekend.

Saw Eric Clapton last night at the Forum.  Man, other than wanting a little more legroom that place is phenomenal as far as indoor arenas go.  Love that Madison Square Garden folks bought it, complete remodel, no sports, just concerts, better sight lines, acoustics, etc.  Artists love that instead of locker rooms they have lounge/green rooms.

Jimmy Vaughn and Gary Clarke Jr opened.  Jimmy was bringing it.  Caught his last 3 songs.  Never seen live before.  And many Gary is a total bad ###.  Just wish the rest of his band was as good. When he did solo stuff or played with Jimmy and Eric later he really shined.  Band brought him down a bit though.  Drums were low/flat, and other guitarist was just overpowering Gary.  Not smart.

Clapton was SENSATIONAL.  Such a great set.  Band looked like night of the living dead (really old, made the Stones look like a boy band) but especially the guys on the keyboards were phenomenal.  Seeing Clapton work his magic with closeups as he played was great.  His voice sounded very good, better than I expected.  So many hits from Cream, Derek and the Dominoes, John Mayall days and his own stuff.  First time I've ever seen him and was worried when he cancelled earlier this year.  Great great show

Jason Isbell was great last night. I love the way he interacts with his wife. I knew about the song writing skills but I was surprised at his guitar talent. I was not expecting that. Band was tight.

Opener Frank Turner was a nice surprise. I may look into his stuff now. best I can describe his band is acoustic punk.

Saw Steve Winwood last night at ACL live. Pretty cool venue.  
Good show, but crowd was lame. 

Interesting to see Winwood on guitar for some songs, including all the Blind Faith ones.

Listening to the stones on here at a bar. 

Reminds me how I went to their last tour EVER. Guys we're all so old and times had moved on.

That was the Steel Wheels Tour, 1989. (At Shea "it's a dump but it's OUR dump" Stadium.
I was at that show. Freshman year at Rutgers, I got the flu so badly that I threw up on the intercampus bus that afternoon. Drank about 10 beers and smuggled a pint of blackberry brandy into the show. Cold, wet day but I soldiered through.

It's been longer between that show and today than it was between their first TV appearance and that show. They weren't even halfway through their touring life at that "last tour." :lol:

I was at that show. Freshman year at Rutgers, I got the flu so badly that I threw up on the intercampus bus that afternoon. Drank about 10 beers and smuggled a pint of blackberry brandy into the show. Cold, wet day but I soldiered through.

It's been longer between that show and today than it was between their first TV appearance and that show. They weren't even halfway through their touring life at that "last tour." :lol:
That's awesome color to this in terms of the time from then until now.

I remember watching these old ####### men play rock and roll. It was fun, Greg were actually pretty good (crap stadium to see a show generally but whatevs) - but old as dirt, at least for rock and roll.

which means they were basically the age I am now. 

:ouch: 

Cover shows count for this thread?  A local venue has "A Tribute to MTV Unplugged" coming, with cover bands of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains.  Those were three amazing unplugged performances, so I figured what the heck.  Going next Friday.

Cover shows count for this thread?  A local venue has "A Tribute to MTV Unplugged" coming, with cover bands of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains.  Those were three amazing unplugged performances, so I figured what the heck.  Going next Friday.
That actually sounds pretty cool 

I picked up some tickets for Greta Van Fleet. I want to see if they match their hype. The Tucson show was originally scheduled in a smaller venue. It sold out quick and I guess the demand was high enough that it got moved to a larger venue.

That actually sounds pretty cool 
Ya, and its at a venue that usually does "dinner theatre" (but this show isn't in a room that serves dinner).  So, I get the credit of asking my wife if she wants to go to see dinner theatre, yet listen to some grunge music (she's not a fan).  "Whoops, hun, this theatre doesn't actually serve dinner.  You still want to go, right?"

I had a free all-access pass this weekend to the "80s In The Park" 3-day festival.  Unfettered access to the backstage area for such luminaries as Winger, Jackyl, and Lynch Mob.  Even though I have virtually no interest in seeing any of these bands and wouldn't have paid for a ticket, there was no way I wasn't going to do at least one shot with Jesse James Dupree.  Could have been the rare (these days) occasion that might have prompted new material for the "Story Time with EG" thread.

Thanks, Irma. 

Saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers last night at the Hollywood Bowl.  Was concerned flying back into LA as overcast and rainy but by the afternoon skies were clear - beautiful night.  The Bowl is still one of the best places ever to see a concert.  The acoustics are so good.  And performers seem energized by being there.  The show was good not great.  Played songs throughout their 40 years.  Actually like some of their newer stuff more.  Played Mary Jane's Last Dance 2nd and killed it.  Crowd en fuego, then they slowed down a bit too much for me in the middle of the concert when they started doing the Wildflowers stuff (It's Good to be King is good but drawn out).  Picked it back up again and finished strong.  Mike Campbell was shredding it on guitar. Petty's voice was good singing but man he is talking and moving more slowly (expected).  Encores were predictable with You Wreck me and American Girl.  Seen him twice since June and for some reason they aren't playing Breakdown at all anymore.  Live that's such a cool song for the audience.  Wonder why it's out of the set list.  Didn't do "Don't do me like that" either. Played all of their other hits, Refugee, Won't Back Down, Free Fallin, Yer so bad, etc.  Solid 2 hours plus but with the 11pm curfew at the Bowl had to stop.  Wish they didn't have an opening act and played an even longer set.

7 or 8 out 10. Won't be that many more tours so worth seeing (though I think LA is the end)

Two weekends ago: U2/Beck at Lucas Oil in Indy; third time seeing Joshua Tree Tour this summer, second time seeing Beck in two weeks (saw his Vancouver show).

Last weekend: Riot Fest in Chicago (my buddy's a producer so had Deluxe VIP access with free booze  :thumbup: ). 

• Day 1: Buzzcocks, Ministry, New Order, Nine Inch Nails
  • Day 2: Mike D, Gogol Bordello, Wu Tang Clan, Queens of the Stone Age
Tomorrow: The Afghan Whigs w/Har Mar Superstar (they opened another show for tonight and am debating going as of this posting).

How are The National live? Was just offered a ticket for next week, I'm a casual fan but don't love them. Worth going?

Adam Ant postponed, Depeche Mode flat out cancelled, and missed Psychedelic Furs because I was waiting for FEMA badge that never came because they lost my paperwork.  Seeing Poptone in November (if I'm around).  

So I saw this Friday.  I would definitely say it is worth the money if you are a fan of these unplugged shows, but it didn't totally meet my expectations.  Here's my detailed review of each:

Lithium (Nirvana cover band) - This was the only band that appeared to make any attempt at actually impersonating the band.  The lead singer wore a wig and a green sweater.  One of the guitars had the same paint job.  The drummer wore a wig to look resemble Dave Grohl.  The singer actually quoted from the CD between songs.  It was more for comedic effect than an actual impersonation, but it was a nice touch.  I felt they did a pretty good job recreating the show (they played the whole CD straight through in order), and while I think Cobain is harder to recreating than I thought going in, the singer did a good job at least singing in his style.  

Alive (Pearl Jam impersonation) - After the good show that Lithium put on I was excited for Alive, as Pearl Jam is my favorite band.  It was probably impossible to meet my expectations, but they certainly missed.  Instrumentally, I think they did a pretty good job, and that part was a good show.  The singer however, was a total swing and miss.  Don't get me wrong, the guy could sing, but he was in the wrong cover band IMO.  His voice seemed to be one or two octaves too high all the time.  He probably would be awesome in an REO cover band or something, as that is what he reminded me of, but he just couldn't do it for Vedder.  They also were not as true to the show, and played a couple of songs off script (Elderly Woman..., one other I can't remember now).  Their show was also the shortest.  And they didn't finish with Rockin in the Free World, which I really was hoping for.

Mad Alice (AIC cover band) - After the disappointment that was Alive, I was considering leaving for Mad Alice.  AIC is my least favorite of the three, and the one I know the material the least.  I am sure glad I didn't.  They blew me away.  I don't know if it was that they were far superior, or lower expectations, or less familiarity of the original, I don't know, but I can see why they were saved for last.  They had two guys who while didn't totally recreate their sound, they sure did a good job for a cover band.  I had doubts before the show they would pull off the vocal style of the band, but they blew me away.  Would definitely listen to more AIC going in next time to be sure I knew all the songs, but I would see these guys again if the price was right.

If go for that price any day. Worth it for all the eye candy alone. Don't mean to get all :homer: on anyone
I took my wife to see Timberlake a few years back and yeah, that element was in full effect. Almost to the point of being disturbing. Almost. :)  

Seriously though, you guys with daughters, I don't know how you stay sane. 

Saw Jason Isbell in Charlotte on Saturday and he rocked the joint.  It was my first time seeing him and it certainly wont be the last.  His band was great and you can never go wrong with a  Hammond B3.  I didn't realize he was such an accomplished guitar player and of course his song writing is second to none. 

Saw Jason Isbell in Charlotte on Saturday and he rocked the joint.  It was my first time seeing him and it certainly wont be the last.  His band was great and you can never go wrong with a  Hammond B3.  I didn't realize he was such an accomplished guitar player and of course his song writing is second to none. 
Will be seeing him at The Ryman next week.  Third trip from the Garden State down to see him there in the past four years.

Saw Taj Mahal and Keb Mo on Friday - and what a terrific combination this was. A last minute decision to go on my part and so glad I did - was grinning from ear to ear. Excellent backing band and the energy and personality of these two really shown through. Great "She Caught the Katy" and "Leavin Trunk", not sure how many more dates these guys have left but go- two big thumbs up.

Saw Jack Johnson last night in Tampa. Highlights of the night for me were the cover songs he did - two of them were Tom Petty songs - I Wont Back Down early in the show, and You Dont Know How It Feels later in the show. The crowd cheered when he started both, and the sing alongs were as loud as expected with everyone on their feet. After You Dont Know How It Feels there was about a minute long standing ovation complete with cell phones lighting up the arena and a few tears, it was very touching. He also did Steve Millers The Joker (in the middle of Bubble Toes), Sublimes Badfish, and a great version of Jimmy Buffets A Pirate Looks At Forty. All together he did 30 songs in his 2+ hour set. He gives his fans their money worth for sure.

Anyone going to ACL this year?

I'm going tomorrow. Headliner is Jay-Z, though I'm most interested in Ryan Adams.

Heading to Hardly Strictly this afternoon.  Mrs. Eephus is on crutches so we're going to stay put at the one stage with Big Thief, Felice Brothers, First Aid Kit and Conor Oberst.

Users who are viewing this thread