What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (6 Viewers)

Deamon said:
Hate this line of thinking.  Yes it would have been 'better' for them to lose those games, but it's 100% unrealistic for those players to drop balls on purpose or make bad throws on purpose.  You say you 'know players are ingrained to win", so what would have your solution been here?  It's a shame they didn't lose the games but they absolutely did nothing 'wrong' and did not 'screw it up'
It goes back to your whole "spots" argument. Well, they only lost four "spots"..... but what good does that do you if a couple of teams leap frog you in the draft and the best QB left on the board when you draft is Jordan Love. Well, he was only drafted a few "spots" after Burrow so he can't be that much worse right?

Brunell4MVP said:
Probably should be in the MIA forum, but I can't help but think of the disservice MIA did to itself by not finishing last.  They would have had Burrow - an absolutely perfect fit for their system.  Even tanking some would have gotten them Tua.  Now there is a chance they have to trade two 1st rounders to move up 3 spots.  All for what?  Saying they won a couple more meaningless games.  Not to mention higher picks in later rounds.

I don't actually think they think they are gonna trade up, but they may have to if they want Tua.  They are taking a chance if they don't.  And it all could have been avoided by not going 3-2 in their last 5, including a win against the Patriots in week 17 and a dumb win against CIN in week 16.

I know players and coaches are ingrained to win.  But this is why NBA teams tank.  Really tank.
I don't even know if you have to think of it has tanking. They should have been playing younger/developmental type players all season long if you trading away all your best players for draft picks imo. Maybe Rosen would have cost them a game or two more than Fitz..... but what good has that done them? They still want to replace Fitz and now Rosen has seen less playing time, has developed less, and the Dolphins are drafting later. Maybe Rosen turns around the end of his season and they have a better asset. Using a guy in his mid-30's to win just enough games you miss out on the QB that you really want just seems completely wrong headed. It's the worst of both worlds.

Are you assuming that WAS is only interested in 2020 picks? They have a new regime that should be there for several years. I'm not convinced the only picks they have any interest in are 2020 picks.
No, they could be after 2021 picks, but I would think those hold slightly less value.

It goes back to your whole "spots" argument. Well, they only lost four "spots"..... but what good does that do you if a couple of teams leap frog you in the draft and the best QB left on the board when you draft is Jordan Love. Well, he was only drafted a few "spots" after Burrow so he can't be that much worse right?
What does the spots have to do with anything?  Not sure what you're getting at here.  My point of that post was that it's not Fitzpatrick's "fault" that he won those games.  No players in the NFL purposely try to lose games, and it's not that they 'screwed anything up'.  Those words imply they did something wrong, or should be at fault for catching that TD pass rather than dropping it on purpose.

No, they could be after 2021 picks, but I would think those hold slightly less value.
Agreed. Although with the 2020 season somewhat in question there may be less of a dropoff than normal because the 2020 rookies may get fewer practice reps and a smaller season.

I don't even know if you have to think of it has tanking. They should have been playing younger/developmental type players all season long if you trading away all your best players for draft picks imo. Maybe Rosen would have cost them a game or two more than Fitz..... but what good has that done them? They still want to replace Fitz and now Rosen has seen less playing time, has developed less, and the Dolphins are drafting later. Maybe Rosen turns around the end of his season and they have a better asset. Using a guy in his mid-30's to win just enough games you miss out on the QB that you really want just seems completely wrong headed. It's the worst of both worlds.
Ok so you start Rosen.  Maybe he wins as many games as Fitz?  You can't simply sit all of your best players in an attempt to lose games.  You only have so many players on a team, and if you are suggesting they should have sat Fitz, then should they have sat Parker too?  Where do you draw the line?  Can you imagine the outrage if all of the starters were simply healthy scratches on game day????  That would never happen.

It's unfortunate for Miami that they have a lower pick, but it was not avoidable or some big screw up.

Ok so you start Rosen.  Maybe he wins as many games as Fitz?  You can't simply sit all of your best players in an attempt to lose games.  You only have so many players on a team, and if you are suggesting they should have sat Fitz, then should they have sat Parker too?  Where do you draw the line?  Can you imagine the outrage if all of the starters were simply healthy scratches on game day????  That would never happen.

It's unfortunate for Miami that they have a lower pick, but it was not avoidable or some big screw up.
I'm just curious...... how old do you think Parker is?

Absolutely nothing. Maybe I'm not the only one learning in this thread.
I never mentioned the word spots in the post you quoted.  Is was fully how they should not have purposely dropped passes in order to lose.  You're making up arguments where there isn't one and are really stretching here dude.  You seem obsessed to respond to every one of the posts and are not even reading them.   I think maybe you're a little too invested in the fact that you wrongfully think a team is trading up to #2 for Young.  Sorry about your loss but it isn't happening.

Not sure where' you're gong with this.  He's 27.  But he's one of their more talented players, so sitting him would have been "smarter" according to you.
That's not what I said at all. I said MIA should have been playing their younger more developmental players. To me Parker is a younger more developmental player.... and thus, should have been playing.

For once I agree. You have no idea where I am going with this.

That's not what I said at all. I said MIA should have been playing their younger more developmental players. To me Parker is a younger more developmental player.... and thus, should have been playing.

For once I agree. You have no idea where I am going with this.
Ok so which players were they playing that they shouldn't have besides Fitz?

A wise man once said, "What does the spots have to do with anything?". And so did you. Eventually.
1 Spot has everything to do with it.  If the team above you does not want that player and will trade down, then you likely don't have to give anything up to still get that player.  Each draft "spot" has a value that teams place on it.  So yes, how many spots their moving up does matter.  The only reason a team at 3 would move up to 2, would be out of fear that another team is trying to get to 2 for that same player.  Thee is no massive demand for teams to trade up to 2 for Young.  If this is the case in your alternate reality, you should go place a heavy bet on Chase Young not being drafted by the Redskins.

A wise man once said, "What does the spots have to do with anything?". And so did you. Eventually.

Relax a little, you seem a little fired up.  Let's just wait until Detroit DOESN"T trade up one SPOT for Chase Young on Thursday and your ignorance will come to light.

Moving on from this.  Hopefully you'll learn some things about the draft on Thursday.

You guys are killing me:)  Love the back and forth.   There are so many things that can happen, no need for the I was right/wrong.  We are all totally guessing, which is the way all these teams should want it.  If we know, everyone knows.  And letting others know is stupid.

1. could DET trade up?   sure I think Young would be huge for them.  Will they?  Probably 5% chance. 
  2. Is Tua or Hebert worth trading up for?  Probably not.  Will someone?  Maybe 25% chance.
  3. Can the Skins trade down? Possible.  Will they?  Maybe 30% chance.
  4. If they do trade down, who is it with?  95% chance it is MIA, LAC, or JAX.  5% chance it is DET. 
  5. The big one ... if WAS stays at #2, will they draft Young?  Now that is probably 99%.
Sounds like they've been officially offered a package for the #2 pick.  If Ashburn is doing their job, we will know nothing of this package unless it gets signed, sealed, and delivered.

Either way we are in for a fun Thursday and likely a fun Friday regarding Trent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting

"The Redskins have closed the window for Williams and his agent Vince Taylor to work out a trade" 

According to Mike Garafolo on twitter this morning 

Dan Patrick on his show said his source said Trent Williams WILL be traded and Washington will get a 1st round pick for him and then use that 1st on an O lineman. He also said his sources are saying Young is the pick at 1.2. And yes they have gotten a "complete package" for the 1.2, but hasn't heard anything about what the offer was, if the Redskins were interested or not...

Dan Patrick on his show said his source said Trent Williams WILL be traded and Washington will get a 1st round pick for him and then use that 1st on an O lineman. He also said his sources are saying Young is the pick at 1.2. And yes they have gotten a "complete package" for the 1.2, but hasn't heard anything about what the offer was, if the Redskins were interested or not...
This is shocking to me based on what has been shared previously....I'd honestly welcome that as a Skins fan.  No way is he worth a 1st IMO.

This is shocking to me based on what has been shared previously....I'd honestly welcome that as a Skins fan.  No way is he worth a 1st IMO.
I was shocked too but they are speculating that 4 OTs could go in the first dozen picks, if that happens then maybe we are all pleasantly surprised at the return. But Dan said it very matter of fact, like it was almost guaranteed. I hope his source isn't Dan Snyder  ;)

You guys are killing me:)  Love the back and forth.   There are so many things that can happen, no need for the I was right/wrong.  We are all totally guessing, which is the way all these teams should want it.  If we know, everyone knows.  And letting others know is stupid.

1. could DET trade up?   sure I think Young would be huge for them.  Will they?  Probably 5% chance. 
  2. Is Tua or Hebert worth trading up for?  Probably not.  Will someone?  Maybe 25% chance.
  3. Can the Skins trade down? Possible.  Will they?  Maybe 30% chance.
  4. If they do trade down, who is it with?  95% chance it is MIA, LAC, or JAX.  5% chance it is DET. 
  5. The big one ... if WAS stays at #2, will they draft Young?  Now that is probably 99%.
Sounds like they've been officially offered a package for the #2 pick.  If Ashburn is doing their job, we will know nothing of this package unless it gets signed, sealed, and delivered.

Either way we are in for a fun Thursday and likely a fun Friday regarding Trent.
All I'm saying is it makes no sense for a team like Detroit to move up one spot (cue triggered response) with a team that doesn't seem to want him that badly anyways.  If you're spending the 2nd pick on someone, you better be ####### enamored with him.  If Wash is, they take him. If they aren't, let them pass on him and take him at 3.  I agree with your 5% chance of Detroit trading up for him but I probably put it closer to the 2%.

I don't really see the point in anyone trading up to 2 for a QB either.  The price to get to 2 will be higher than it will be to get to 3, and Wash isn't likely to take a QB.  Now, if there's a bidding war for that #3 spot for a QB, then sure it would be smart/sneaky for a team to jump up to #2.

Overall I think your percentages there are pretty good.

It's hard to believe anything that leaks in the days up to the draft.  Would be really easy for Wash to lie and say they have an offer for the pick.

Big mistake by not signing Burton(TE) to a cheap contract. Sure, he may only be healthy for 8 games but I'd take those 8 over Sprinkle in 16.

I hope they have one of the TE's on their radar as a throw in on a trade back because there aren't many worth reaching for in the draft. MIN desperately needs cap space and Rudolph is overpaid. If TB is being honest about keeping OJ, then Brate is making a TON to be a #3 TE and could probably be had for a song. I still think CLE is moving on from Njoku no matter what they claim publicly. Any of these guys would be a starter in WAS from day 1.

To me Logan Thomas was nothing more than a Peyton Barber type emergency backup option if their plans for the position fall through(which I'm fine with). Last year was his "breakout" season with 16 catches for 173 yards. He's 29yo and lets hope they plan on Thomas being a camp depth guy battling for a spot on the team rather than having a big part of the TE picture.

Why don't the Redskins try Scherff at left tackle he played there at Iowa.
That may not be a bad idea if we trade Trent and don't draft an early 1st round replacement.  He struggled at RT as a rookie, which is why they moved him to RG, but he may have improved his technique, etc. enough to make the switch.  I think his arms were shorter than ideal for a tackle in general as well.

Burgundy Blog

@BurgundyBlog

The following is a fringy, unconfirmed rumor, so take it FWIW. I'm told by a new source with a convincing connection to the #Browns that a trade for Trent Williams is "done," with #Redskins expected to receive a 3rd or 4th in 2020 and a 2nd in 2021.

Link
Even though I'd prefer a 2nd this year, I think this would be a pretty good deal, if its pans out.

Redskins have been installing their offense through virtual meetings this week. Early reports say it is going well. They have no doubts about Dwayne Haskins Jr picking it up. Excited to see him on the field, when that day comes. #httr #redskins

Think the Falcons and Dolphins are the only 2 teams that may trade up to 2.  Both would make a lot of sense for you guys as Miami has the picks to do it if they want a QB, and the return you get from Altanta could be big as that's a lot of spots to jump up.  They would most definitely have to part with pick 47 and a future 1st or 2nd rounder to make that happen though.

Yea i want chase and or picks.  Don’t need to win this year.  Just train young talent and get better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tidbits from PFT, which of course may be all smokescreen:

1.  Dolphins are trying to trade to number 1.  So the QB they want is Burrow.  It also means they are not nearly as enamored with Hebert or Tua.

2.  Lions are aggressively shopping pick 3.  It sounds like they have not gotten any really good offers.

3.  Redskins received a "full offer" from Atlanta for pick 2.  Atlanta wants Young.

The Redskins should draft Young.  From what I have read, he is a VERY good player.  And Rivera and Del Rio should be able to get the most out of him.  That is a good fit.

Just reported Redskins have closed the window on trading the 1.2 pick. 
Well that was uneventful.  Best offer the Skins would even put in public was something from ATL for #16, probably a 1st next year, and other crap. Too bad nobody wanted these QBs more.  Would have been nice to get a haul. 

Chase is a fine player though and gives them options as some of these DL contracts come up. 

I'm interested in how they will use Kerrigan and rotate Ionnidis, Allen, and Payne (and Settle).  Wonder if they may look to move someone by June 1.

Brunell4MVP said:
Well that was uneventful.  Best offer the Skins would even put in public was something from ATL for #16, probably a 1st next year, and other crap. Too bad nobody wanted these QBs more.  Would have been nice to get a haul. 

Chase is a fine player though and gives them options as some of these DL contracts come up. 

I'm interested in how they will use Kerrigan and rotate Ionnidis, Allen, and Payne (and Settle).  Wonder if they may look to move someone by June 1.
If by "other crap" you mean multiple day 2 picks in 2020 and 2021..... you're probably right. Keep in mind if they had traded for pick #16 they would have had CeeDee Lamb fall in their lap at #16.

Turns out MIA and LAC were interested in QB's. Who would have guessed? They just won the poker game. I have a strong feeling that two years from now people will say, "So Tua was available and teams that had Haskins, a broken down Stafford, and Jones all passed on him..... because they couldn't give him a medical exam?!". 

BTW I think you are forgetting Sweat in that DE rotation. So they have Young, Sweat, Kerrigan, Ryan Anderson, and Allen(on running downs) rotating at DE's. And they have Payne, Ionnidis, Settle, and Allen(on passing downs) rotating as DT's. I can't wait until they draft another DLman next year. Maybe they will go with a 7 man DL front. Just play goal line D as their base defense(since their coverage guys are so strong and all). The new first round DLmen can replace the old first round DLmen every year.

Next pick is #66. Not many holes in the roster left to fill. Seems like a crazy way to build a team to me.

we need a run on OTs soon...will help our chances to get a solid pick for Trent.... :scared:
I think the run took place for the wrong teams. Now the Browns, Bucs, Jets, and Dolphins will have NO interest in Trent.

Only teams that SHOULD be interested right now is den, ARZ and MIN. ARZ would have to be creative because their lack of cap space. None of them are really in a cap space situation to give up draft picks for Williams without also unloading salary.

Redskins ####ed themselves by falling in love with the best player in the draft. No one truly believed that pick was available. 
That ATL deal was the best chance. If they wanted to reshape this roster by this time next season that was their best opportunity they will get.

It's all on Haskins now. If he doesn't work out WAS will have a very good trade-back opportunity again next year. CeeDee Lamb certainly would have given Haskins a much higher chance of success this season.

Washington did the right thing taking Young. He's going to make that defense legit overnight. Now I'm praying a Trent Williams for OJ Howard trade happens today to take care of another huge need. 

Users who are viewing this thread