What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (15 Viewers)

Some fellow homers don't agree with you.: http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43891

You people kill me, with the just draft a QB imagine if we drafted this guy etc....Why haven't we done it for the past 25 years?? Nobody knew Dak was going to be that good, he'd never seen the field if Romo doesn't get hurt...remember everyone saying the Boys would be .500 without Romo. Cousins beat the Packers and Giants, they are playoff team. I believe we are a few defensive player away from being a really good team. Please don't think I'm comparing him to those guys, I'm just pointing out that Manning wouldn't have two SB rings if it wasn't for his defense...he'd be the fist to tell you that.

BTW, Brett Favre has throw a ton of horrid passes to lose big games year after year. Your reasoning that he fails in crunch time after only 2 years starting is yet another joke. You are not finding a Tom Brady no matter what you think.

Here's the bottom line. Without Cousins the Redskins will suck again for a long time barring a lucky pick. I almost want to see it happen to watch you spaz out saying why did they get rid of Cousins? All you have to do is look at the past 2 decades and see that this guy is the best QB you have had debatably since Theisman.

Doug Williams on Kirk Cousins: http://www.redskins.com/media-gallery/videos/Doug-Williams-Comments-On-Redskins-QBs-at-OTAs/f8017477-f11b-4eba-affd-ec45f8bdfe7e

I'm crushing you in this debate.

You can't see whole picture.
It's pretty easy to see why you get mocked so badly in the Jameis Winston topic. Here are 3 of the last posts there.

From 2-14 and the #1 pick in 2014 to a winning season at 9-7 just two years later.  Thanks, Jameis.  Trending upward.
New Orleans D started playing a lot better too around mid year. Someone else pointed that out after the first NO game in the rain. 

I think Winston is locked into being a mid-QB1 for the next 5 years.  I think what we saw over the past few games is Winston's floor. I'm rolling with him as my starter next year and beyond.
The only player in NFL history to throw for over 4000 yds in each of his first two seasons, and he's only 22 years old. 

And another thing. There were falcons homers at falconslife.com talking just like you over the past couple years. Trade Matt Ryan, draft a QB in the 1st, can't win the big one. They all were wrong.

It's pretty easy to see why you get mocked so badly in the Jameis Winston topic. Here are 3 of the last posts there.
Once again you are not helping your case. Dude, I got mocked bad in the Tebow thread, the Vinc Young thread, the David Carr thread. Eventually I prevailed.

And let me say this if I was stuck with Winston, I would also not trade him because as turnover prone he is, it's hard to find a guy better than him. that is the state of QB in the NFL.  I would be looking for a replacement but I would have a plan to find one before I decided to just trade him away.

Your plan is trade him away and hope. Nice. Your best hope is maybe Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold. Some team is getting each of those guys and they are then next best hope for franchise QBs in the NFL and that's not guaranteed either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok buddy who would you rather have, the turnover machine or Cousins?
I'd rather have Winston. No way Tampa Bay would trade him for Cousins, though. Cousins had 4 good receivers this past year, Winston had 1. Cousins would get sacked more in TB; Winston would get sacked less in DC.

Kirk Cousins is basically at the same point of his career that Trent Green was when they let him go the Rams. so this isn't uncharted territory.

Cousins might be a bit better than Trent Green was statistically, but I think you need to adjust for the new era of passing somewhat in todays NFL compared to what the league was doing back in 2001.

I can see both sides of this, it is very difficult to find a competent QB so whenever a team has one, which I think Cousin's is, they should recognize that they could do a lot worse, I mean some teams might actually be considering Matt Cassel or Mike Glennon as starters. Cousins in significantly better than this.

Cousins is a QB who I think is good enough to win with, if the rest of the team is great. I think he is better than Trent Dilfer for example.

Washington is not really good enough on defense for Cousin's to be good enough for them to win in the playoffs. I do think Washington has a very good offensive line and high quality skill players except at RB to support him, that and the passing volume is why his numbers are excellent. Cousins deserves some credit too, but his number reflect the situation as much as anything else. The team is a ways away from an above average QB being able to compensate for their other deficiencies.. If they stick with Cousins maybe they could improve enough on defense that they might have a shot at a title when Cousins is 31 or 32 years old (in a few years from now) but that seems like a bit of a long shot.

In the meantime the more they win the lower their draft position will be and so more difficult to find elite players from the draft.

I don't have a strong opinion about what the best thing to do here is, as I said I can see both sides of it.

As a fan of a team (the Vikings) who has been perennially searching for an answer at QB, I can see sticking with a QB that is good enough, because the alternatives are much worse. No guarantees from the draft, it seems more QB bust than actually survive long enough to become a QB such as Kirk Cousins who I do like and I think is better than average. At the same time if fans don't see Cousins being the long term answer I can see moving on and starting over without a huge contract bogging down the team and blocking the team from attempting to improve at the QB position because of their financial commitments to Cousins, then a few years later Cousin's falling off an the team needs to rebuild again anyways.

Mike Jones's review of WR's and TE's.

Biggest takeaway to me is that they want to re-sign Vernon Davis. Man, he was an unexpected plus this year. With Paul hurt and Carrier mainly a special teams player, getting Davis back would be a big deal.

Not a TE, but since he's mentioned in the article, I'd hate to see them lose Nsekhe.

Cavanaugh as OC.

Likely losing Wes Phillips.

Andy Morgan ‏@AndyMorganNC9

SOURCES: Former UTEP QB, Wes Phillips likely to land L.A. #Rams Offensive Coordinator job. Currently #Redskins Tight Ends Coach. #NC9Sports

I don't know this guy. Supposedly he has a Redskins podcast on ESPN980? Says the Skins will offer Cousins a long-term deal, doesn't say the amount. Also has a poll running on whether fans expect a better outcome with Cousins and Pick 17, or with Pick 2, Pick 17 & a 2018 2nd round pick. I don't have a twitter account so can't see how sentiment is running. https://twitter.com/ChadwikoRCC/status/823310965944950784
Currently:
44%Kirk, Pick 17
56%Pick 2, Pick 17, 2018 2nd

More on the Manusky hire.

But this isn’t just about Manusky. He won’t succeed if the talent level doesn’t get better, something the front office knows well. One person who has worked with Manusky -- and likes him as a coordinator -- says he’ll be as good as his talent.

Manusky also won’t succeed if he doesn’t surround himself with a strong coaching staff, which was one of the issues for Barry. (Manusky is tight with fired Chargers coordinator John Pagano, for what it’s worth; I don’t know if he’ll join the staff or not. They are wisely keeping inside linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti. The Redskins also are working on a deal with Jim Tomsula to be their defensive line coach. A source said no deal was done but they're definitely working on one. He'd be an excellent hire.) The coordinator isn’t designing all the coverages or teaching the nuances of the positions.

Coaches who have interviewed with Manusky in the past say he’s real good with the front seven, but will need a strong secondary coach. Their hope is that Aubrey Pleasant gets promoted from assistant defensive backs coach. (Make no mistake, Perry Fewell ran the show back there.)

Jason La Canfora Verified account ‏@JasonLaCanfora

49ers prepared to re-open their GM search if need be; if Kyle Shanahan takes HC job as expected he'd likely get roster/personnel control too

Brian McNally ‏@bmcnally14 8h8 hours ago

"He's a great guy. He's half crazy..." - is what #Redskins GM Scot McCloughan told us after hiring Greg Manusky as an assistant last year.

If we can get the #2 pick and another pick it'll be hard to turn this down and my first inclination is that they should do it. There are still so many roster needs on the Skins, Cousins is probably as valuable now as he'll ever be, and while McCoy isn't Cousins he isn't incompetent either and can bridge things til another QB is ready.
IS Kyle behind the drive to obtain Cousins for the # 2?  If so, then doesn't this actually lend strength to the argument that we should KEEP Cousins and not trade him?

By now, we have to recognize Kyle as a legit football mind -- honestly more so than those of us on this board.  He has been OC three places -- Houston, Washington, and Atlanta -- and has succeeded all places, including re-designing a whole offense for RGIII.  San Francisco is also not a team that has "all the other pieces in place."  If Kyle thinks he can win with Cousins, you can't just say, "Oh, lots of stupid desperate teams will offer the world for Cousins.  We're not that stupid."  He has at least as much credibility as those of us on this board.

The other thing is:  there is a lot of talk about how we can just draft a franchise QB, but that often does not work out.  It seems like for every superstar QB, there are 2-3 Jamarcus Russells.  I think  a lot of folks are making it sound like you can find a QB relatively easily.  Isn't this the same fan base that has lived through the likes of Heath Shuler as a high draft pick?  People look at some stats and say Colt McCoy would do just as good, also.  I like Colt and think he's a good backup, but I don't really agree that he is equivalent -- not based on my "eyeball" and that's stats aside.

The other thing I wonder about is the money thing.  And I wonder if the "trade Cousins crowd" has really thought this through.  It seems like people think that Cousins is worth 20 M but not 25 M.  So basically, the question is:  not what is Cousins "worth" to us in this abstract sense but what practically will the Redskins do with that 5 M dollars if they get Cousins.  Because we cannot pretend that the Redskins do not have the money to upgrade other positions if they sign Cousins for 5 M. They are over 60 million under the cap, which is going up 10 M I believe.  I think I read where Redskins are top 10 team right now in cap space.  So, to me the argument that we cannot upgrade other aspects of the team while signing Cousins is not a credible argument.  Instead, the argument needs to be: in terms of spending that incremental 5 M, what more could be done.  And, is that "more" worth swapping Cousins for McCoy.

I think there is a lot of "rhetoric" going on right now but really when you look at it as the spending of that incremental 5 M vs. "upgrading the entire defense" then the decision is really a lot less clear than a lot of folks are admitting.

Me, I continue to think that we can re-sign Cousins AND upgrade the defense.  I just don't buy the argument that it's one or the other.

I do agree with the observations that Cousins -- in his first two years as starter -- has not shown himself to be an Aaron Rodgers-esque playmaker who creates when the play breaks down, elevates his team, puts the team on his back, etc.  I do agree that to this point he's been a guy who can succeed when he has decent weapons around him.  Can he grow into being a better player?  The future will show that.  I don't think  those of us on a message board can sit here and say he won't improve.  Let's face it, the Internet crowd said he was a turnover machine, and that was what it was, he would never change.  And guess what, he did.  So there is precedence for the Internet to be wrong on this. But, there is also a chance that he's maxed out and he is what he is.  It is a risk.  But IMO it is MORE of a risk to bank on the # 2 pick to return us the next superstar QB...we've swung and missed on that many, many times as well.

It's a tough decision to be sure.  But I think maybe I'm just trying to nuance this a little more than what's being discussed.  I think the part that really is sticking in my head is:  "What do we need to do with that extra 5 M that warrants moving away from a QB who you know you can go with and make a playoff push?

In terms of the financials of a Kirk Cousins deal, this was actually an interesting read:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/1/22/14348830/by-the-numbers-kirk-is-worth-24m-poll

This person makes the case that you shouldn't look at the number given a QB but the percentage they take in cap space.  Since cap space rises every year, it doesn't make sense to compare a QB signing a contract THIS year compared to a contract signed years ago.  So that is a fallacy in thinking through a QBs "worth" says this person.

Anyway a good read. 

I realize I am probably in the minority on this thread in thinking they should resign Cousins -- even with his limitations as has been discussed -- but the more I look at the concrete financials, and the options a the Redskins disposal,  the more I'm convinced that we should just sign him and ignore the seemingly "common sense assumption" that 24 M is too much..not sure I buy that it is...

The other thing I wonder about is the money thing.  And I wonder if the "trade Cousins crowd" has really thought this through.  It seems like people think that Cousins is worth 20 M but not 25 M.  So basically, the question is:  not what is Cousins "worth" to us in this abstract sense but what practically will the Redskins do with that 5 M dollars if they get Cousins. 
Mike, I'm not understanding this part of your post. If they trade Cousins they save $25 million, not $5 million. Just not clear on what you mean. If you mean they keep Cousins, and where the other $5 million goes, it'll go to upgrading/extending current player contract(s) or signing other player(s).

And I'm not taking a shot at you by the way. I know we don't agree on what to pay Cousins but may main interest is in just understanding. Thanks.

I realize I am probably in the minority on this thread in thinking they should resign Cousins -- even with his limitations as has been discussed -- but the more I look at the concrete financials, and the options a the Redskins disposal,  the more I'm convinced that we should just sign him and ignore the seemingly "common sense assumption" that 24 M is too much..not sure I buy that it is...
I'm with you. At this point, I'd like to see him signed for 4-5 years. And I do agree with the "not too much money" fear, but I really have no idea how much is too much. I'm sure 40 is too much and 15 is a steal. As we converge on numbers in between, I don't know where the line is. If I think 22 is appropriate, I'm not going to be worried about 25.

Mike, I'm not understanding this part of your post. If they trade Cousins they save $25 million, not $5 million. Just not clear on what you mean. If you mean they keep Cousins, and where the other $5 million goes, it'll go to upgrading/extending current player contract(s) or signing other player(s).

And I'm not taking a shot at you by the way. I know we don't agree on what to pay Cousins but may main interest is in just understanding. Thanks.
No worries Fatness...were good.  This is a tough call and there is room for respectful disagreement.

And good question you ask...I'll try to clarify my thinking.  What I was doing was responding to what I've often seen stated online, that it would be fine to sign Cousins for 20 m but not 25 m.  The argument goes, signing him for 20 m is ok because we'd be able to sign other guys. What I'm saying is if you compare that scenario ti the scenario where we sign him for 25 m but have 5 m less to sign other players  -- then the difference between those two scenarios are that in the former instance we have 5m more to sign other players.

so I was just comparing those two options, in order to compare how much we'd be willing to pay him.  

No worries Fatness...were good.  This is a tough call and there is room for respectful disagreement.

And good question you ask...I'll try to clarify my thinking.  What I was doing was responding to what I've often seen stated online, that it would be fine to sign Cousins for 20 m but not 25 m.  The argument goes, signing him for 20 m is ok because we'd be able to sign other guys. What I'm saying is if you compare that scenario ti the scenario where we sign him for 25 m but have 5 m less to sign other players  -- then the difference between those two scenarios are that in the former instance we have 5m more to sign other players.

so I was just comparing those two options, in order to compare how much we'd be willing to pay him.  
With all that said you could say ok option c let him walk save 25 mil minus another qb at vet minimum.  To which I would say fine upgrade the rest of the team.  With no qb you will not be a playoff team.

its a tough call

2 meh hires for the coordinator spots. I don't hate them and maybe that's what we need is some continuity rather than trying to blow things up. This team isn't too far off, so wholesale changes aren't really need. And I think the defense will be better this year, regardless of who the DC is.

With all that said you could say ok option c let him walk save 25 mil minus another qb at vet minimum.  To which I would say fine upgrade the rest of the team.  With no qb you will not be a playoff team.

its a tough call
That's exactly what I say. What you will be is Houston. A team with no QB and $ spent everywhere else. That gets you, at best, a middle of the pack W/L record and no chance at Darnold or Rosen or a real potential franchise QB unless you sell the farm like LAR & PHI did. 

Thanks, appreciate the explanation.

$5 million probably gets Chris Baker back, and maybe another player, to throw out one idea.

Thanks, appreciate the explanation.

$5 million probably gets Chris Baker back, and maybe another player, to throw out one idea.
And this is what makes it a tough call.  Even with signing Cousins, you could get Baker back with some of the extra cap money, but then you'd have 5 M less to spend elsewhere.  So, I do realize that signing Cousins will come at a price. The key question is what do you need more -- the difference Cousins makes or the difference the other player makes.

So, I do totally see where you are coming from. 

I think it's my conservative nature that makes me want to keep the guy we have vs. flying into the unknown...but there is defintely room for respectful disagreement.

And, uh...at least we can agree on great Coordinator hires!  Right?  Right?  :-D

its a tough call

That's exactly what I say. What you will be is Houston. A team with no QB and $ spent everywhere else. That gets you, at best, a middle of the pack W/L record and no chance at Darnold or Rosen or a real potential franchise QB unless you sell the farm like LAR & PHI did. 
:lmao:  Houston has made the playoffs two straight years and just won their division. 

:lmao:  Houston has made the playoffs two straight years and just won their division. 
Yeah, real tough winning that division of hacks. :lmao:  Did you even think before you wrote that. Someone has to win the division.

Little update: 9-7 both years. Yeah, that's  good team. The win the division by default.

These two internal hires have convinced me that the best move is to keep Cousins. Right or wrong, these hires are a commitment to what has been building. You can't do that with a new QB. I'm alright with a franchise tag or a deal. This is Gruden's "prove it" year. If he fails this whole staff is gone. At that point going a different direction at QB doesn't sting as much. If Cousins gets a deal, the new staff will be one that already knows Cousins and the offense can be tailored to him. So let's just get something done sooner than later and focus on the draft/FA.

Yeah, real tough winning that division of hacks. :lmao:  Did you even think before you wrote that. Someone has to win the division.
You quoted: "WILL NEVER BE A PLAYOFF TEAM" and then wrote: "EXACTLY YOU WILL BE HOUSTON". Come on, man. Even you need to see that was a terrible example. You could have used a dozen other teams and you picked a playoff team as an example of not making the plays. It was stupid. Now quit mucking up this great thread with hyperbolic argumentative #### posts, please. We have a good thing going in here. 

So I think they franchise Cousins. I don't think McCloughan is sold on Gruden. Which is why we had a tough time getting some of the bigger name DCs to come here. Instead of committing long-term on Cousins, they'll give him a 1yr deal and see what Gruden does. If the Skins underachieve next year, everyone is gone and a new coach gets to pick his QB, rather than committing to Cousins and then have a new coaching staff come in. I'm sure this is all the right play, but that's what I think the FO's thought process is.

So I think they franchise Cousins. I don't think McCloughan is sold on Gruden. Which is why we had a tough time getting some of the bigger name DCs to come here. Instead of committing long-term on Cousins, they'll give him a 1yr deal and see what Gruden does. If the Skins underachieve next year, everyone is gone and a new coach gets to pick his QB, rather than committing to Cousins and then have a new coaching staff come in. I'm sure this is all the right play, but that's what I think the FO's thought process is.
I totally agree.  I think they'll franchise him and try to sign him to something reasonable and if they cannot, they'll roll with him for one year and then see if he's worth it.  It may be the best play because then if Gruden fails next year the whole thing gets blown up:  Gruden, Cousins, everyone -- then Scot M builds it from the start in his image.

Re: another one year Franchise deal for Cousins:  this may be more viable than we think.  Talking heads like Florio are going to argue that as the Franchise Tag would be 30+ million next year, then that would be the "starting point for negotiations next year."  As with a lot of what Florio says, that's nonesense.  Here's what you do, if you franchise Cousins this year and he plays so-so, then you let him walk.  Rebuild.  But, if you franchise Cousins this year and he performs well, you just flat out compete for him in the open FA market.  You may end up paying more than 24 million but you will NOT pay 30 million unless someone else is willing to sign him for that.  From that respect, it's not going to be the starting point for negotiations.  Now the risk you run if you franchise him this year without signing him, is that unless you want to commit to 30+ M for him next year you have to run the risk that he'll sign elsewhere just because he doesn't want to be in Washington.

That's why the smart money would  be to franchise him and try to sign him for a somewhat reasonable deal (relatively speaking).  But that will require cooperation from Cousins and his agent as well...

Assuming we can take Cousins at his word, he wants to be where he's wanted. I think franchising him again kills just about any chance of him signing here in 2018. He'll feel unwanted from a long term perspective and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even negotiate with the Redskins.

I agree the franchise tag value is not necessarily a low point for negotiations. Several tried to claim that this past offseason. Reports were he was offered about $15m/year and the franchise was $20m. Many were saying the long term offer didn't make sense because they showed they value him at $20m. But, really, all they showed was they valued him at $20m for ONE YEAR; that doesn't mean they valued him at $20m/year for 5 years. Same with this upcoming season. If the franchise is as high as $30m, that doesn't mean they think he's worth $150m over 5 years.

I hope you're right. Also, if the GM can get the #2 pick and something else for Cousins, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The issue is, he's not even signed yet.

We could either take a top player at #2 or try and get someone else in the top 6 to trade up to the 2 spot. If we could get another pick and then load up on defense. Have a mediocre QB for 1 year. Clean house, then rebuild. Or, sign a FA QB to a 1-year contract. Like Tyrod. 

I hope you're right. Also, if the GM can get the #2 pick and something else for Cousins, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The issue is, he's not even signed yet.

We could either take a top player at #2 or try and get someone else in the top 6 to trade up to the 2 spot. If we could get another pick and then load up on defense. Have a mediocre QB for 1 year. Clean house, then rebuild. Or, sign a FA QB to a 1-year contract. Like Tyrod. 
Right.  I wouldn't burn the # 2 on a QB but would for a stud offensive or defensive lineman.  Don't most mocks have Garrett going # 1?  If I couldn't do that, I'd rather have multiple picks and as you say, load up.

Where I'm cautious is I really, really, really don't think it's that easy to just snap our fingers and get that "above average to great QB whenever we are ready"...particularly if Colt did well enough to get us 6-8 wins we're not going to have a top 5 pick in 2018...

There is something to be said for having a bird in hand...

That makes some sense and may be what happens. Let this year be the prove-it year for Gruden, and let either Gruden (if he survives) or the new HC (if Gruden doesn't) have some input on a QB going forward. And in the meantime and beyond draft a QB every year.

That gives this year to build up the defense through draft and FA and re-signings, start building a defense that might actually know what to do on the field (which they obviously didn't know under Barry), and keep a good bit of continuity this next year. A good defense can go a long way. Look at Osweiller.

If this unlikely trade with SF happens and they end up with the #2 pick, I'd expect them to trade down with the idea of getting a good quality player with a lower 1st round pick and getting a lower pick that is sure to get them a QB they want. Instead of wasting the #2 pick on a QB valued in the 2nd round.

I agree McCloughan is not sold on Gruden. And I don't think Cousins particularly wants to be here. When he looks at his actual alternatives, however, he may see drawbacks there too. This coaching staff and offense have been tailored around him for 2 years. He's not going to get that just anywhere.

lod001 said:

Little update: 9-7 both years. Yeah, that's  good team. The win the division by default.
It's a good thing the Broncos won the Super Bowl with great QB play last year.

Houston was 9-7 without their 3 time defensive player of the year. Add Watt back to the team and get a QB who at least doesn't turn the ball over and you probably have a 12 win team.

It's a good thing the Broncos won the Super Bowl with great QB play last year.

Houston was 9-7 without their 3 time defensive player of the year. Add Watt back to the team and get a QB who at least doesn't turn the ball over and you probably have a 12 win team.
And where are they now? You helped make my case. Sure you can put an all star D together and win a single championship .....CHI, BALT, SEA, DEN with it but you can't keep the D together. You will lose pieces. See SEA. You can keep the franchise QB. That is much easier. Once you have one you don't let go.

HOU is in that boat but they haven't taken that one last step because they are not on the level of the 3 I mentioned, plus their QB is gawd awful.  They have no shot with him at QB.

And where are they now? You helped make my case. Sure you can put an all star D together and win a single championship .....CHI, BALT, SEA, DEN with it but you can't keep the D together. You will lose pieces. See SEA. You can keep the franchise QB. That is much easier. Once you have one you don't let go.

HOU is in that boat but they haven't taken that one last step because they are not on the level of the 3 I mentioned, plus their QB is gawd awful.  They have no shot with him at QB.
All I want is one Championship. I was born in Philadelphia and now live in Houston. Neither City has a championship in my lifetime. The Texans are much closer to getting there by going the Bronco route than the franchise QB route. I agree the Redskins should stick with Cousins at least one more year, because their defense is average at best.

I agree the Texans should get anyone else other than Osweiller because he sucks. But 2016 Osweiller still had a better QB rating than 2015 Peyton Manning who won a Super Bowl. So saying no shot is a bit extreme.

All I want is one Championship. I was born in Philadelphia and now live in Houston. Neither City has a championship in my lifetime. The Texans are much closer to getting there by going the Bronco route than the franchise QB route. I agree the Redskins should stick with Cousins at least one more year, because their defense is average at best.

I agree the Texans should get anyone else other than Osweiller because he sucks. But 2016 Osweiller still had a better QB rating than 2015 Peyton Manning who won a Super Bowl. So saying no shot is a bit extreme.
That Bronco D carried the team. It was elite in the manner of the Bears, Ravens, SEA and TB when they won the SB. They took apart Brady. 56 QB rating. The Texans are not there and everyone of those teams had a better QB than OsWILDer. If they can find a guy, then they have a shot. He's pure garbage.

Cousins would make them a force but they made their bed.

Championships are to be treasured, that's for sure. I remember the Redskins' first Super Bowl, the loss to the undefeated Dolphins. There was no point at the game that seemed hopeful. They just kept running Larry Brown for little or no gain and passed reluctantly. George Allen hated passing. The only way the Skins scored was on Mike Bass's interception. I also remember their wins in the SB, with the first one fittingly coming against the Dolphins, and their crushing loss to Oakland. Best Redskins Super Bowl play of all time was Riggins running wide left on 4th and 1 from the Dolphins 43, with the Skins trailing 17-13 at the time. Until that play there was no real sense they'd win. Then boom, one cornerback and a lot of huffing and puffing later, Riggins had a 43-yard TD and they went on to win. It changed everything. It changed loving an also-ran team into something unbelievable.

Stick around. Championships are worth waiting for.

Manusky

"We’re looking for guys to set an edge and make sure the inside linebackers know the edge is set and the inside guys can go strike iron downhill and, like I say, crack some skulls," Manusky said.
Doc Walker is going to love this guy.

Earlier in the interview, Manusky had said, "As an inside linebacker, I won’t have anyone run the ball on us. That’s the most important thing. It breaks you down like, 'What else can we do?' Up front, we have to dominate the front. Linebackers, take heed because we’re going to come downhill and start striking iron."

A Manusky sounds like a kind of fish. "Man, I fought that manusky for 25 minutes, it was leaping all over the place, and just as I got it to the boat it bit through the line. I swear, it was this big."

That's why the smart money would  be to franchise him and try to sign him for a somewhat reasonable deal (relatively speaking).  But that will require cooperation from Cousins and his agent as well...
Bolded is the key that I just don't see happening. I'd love to keep Cousins here for a reasonable price, but he wants to get paid.

Users who are viewing this thread