What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (11 Viewers)

You can just feel the apathy building for Sunday's game. I plan to hit the couch fully disinterested and unprepared, in the spirit of Redskin openers.

Jamison Crowder hasn't practiced all week. Mo Harris is out with a concussion.
hmm, Eagles fan here so no love for the Redskins regardless. But i think you guys will be a pretty good team this year. The injuries you had last year were just ridiculous. I like Cousins over Smith, but if a coach knows how to use either both can be good. i agree that playoffs are a stretch which may be the reason why excitement isn't that high, but i think you guys are better than Dallas, and probably close to the Giants

I hate to say it, but I'm having trouble getting interested in either of my teams this year. I'm quite honestly sick of football news being about things other than football. I don't really have angst against any particular group, be it the players, the NFL, the union, whatever. But I miss being able to watch football news and hear actual football news. Anymore it feels like I'm watching an editorial political news channel much of the time. It's sort of soured me on the whole thing.
What the #### are you talking about? 90% of coverage is sports over politics. Seriously. Link one political story and I'll link 9 that are focused on the sport. Or do you want me to go first? I'll even post 9.8 to your 1 if you want. 

DallasDMac said:
I'm quite honestly sick of football news being about things other than football.
I'm tired of sports radio coverage being about general topics, or star players, or the host's bright-idea-of-the-day. I'd rather listen to beat reporters any time. I realize beat reporters aren't all smooth talkers like radio hosts (listen to how many times John Keim says "Um, yeah, um" for example), but at least a 2 hour show of local beat reporters every day, including talk with beat reporters from around the league, would be the most interesting Skins coverage allowed.

I'm still worried about Crowder not practicing at all this week, and nobody saying anything about it. Harris is out. That leaves Doctson, Richardson, Sims, and Quinn, which is pretty damn iffy.

I'll be excited to watch them once they run out on the field, but I haven't had any particular enthusiasm this entire week.

My expectations are very low.  6-10 is my guess.  I think the defense will surprise if they stay healthy, but ultimately Jay's just not a good enough coach to coax a winning record out of this bunch.

Hope I'm wrong.

They played ok.  The wrs worry me.  But we knew that was a position we needed to develop.  Adp definitely has some gas left in the tank.  He looked bad last season but he looks motivated this year.  Will see how long it lasts.  Smith is what i expected.  Happy with our qb swap.  Don’t think we lose anything there and we saved money.

also happy for Kirk.  He has a good team.

Great game by All Day.   Wasn't vintage Adrian by any means, but he was just terrific.   That guy is just a cyborg.

Alex Smith was really solid, but he needs to get some real chemistry with the WRs, especially Doctson.  

I kept waiting for the Doctson fade. 
Oh he faded all right. Faded from view.

Still, a much better game than the usual Gruden opener. They didn't hestiate or waste time at the end of drives or the end of halves, and they finished 3 drives with TDs instead of FGs.

Running game looked real good. Thompson got great production on a small number of touches. Peterson surprised me, I thought he'd be slower and less motivated. Secondary was quite good, especially Dunbar.

WR's were invisible. It was alarming; it's a good thing they weren't playing from behind. Cardinals' playcalling was questionable, not getting Johnson the ball nearly enough. Not sure if the run defense was good or just lucky. Smith got pressured way too much.

Still, they won an opener and won a game they should have won. That's a pleasant change around here. HTTR

I hate to say it, but I'm having trouble getting interested in either of my teams this year. I'm quite honestly sick of football news being about things other than football. I don't really have angst against any particular group, be it the players, the NFL, the union, whatever. But I miss being able to watch football news and hear actual football news. Anymore it feels like I'm watching an editorial political news channel much of the time. It's sort of soured me on the whole thing.
The problem, I think, is 24 hr sports channels that have to fill the time.  There are only so many plays & scores to show.  After that, it's personal stories and controversy. 

That was a really good game for the Redskins.  At least a really good first half, where they totally dominated.

But (I have followed this team too long), in the back of my mind, something kept saying it was the Cardinals playing really bad.  Everything looked out of sync.  They racked up lots of penalties.

Still, OL, Peterson, Thompson, and Dunbar all had outstanding days.  

I usually post this every year.  On my fantasy football team, the only Redskin I draft was Adrian Peterson.  He was available very late and may have gone undrafted if I did not take him.  Going into the season, I was not convinced any others players were worth drafting (we lump TEs in with WRs, which dimimished Reed's value).

I'm a Cardinals fan and was at the game yesterday. You guys kicked our butts.

Just wanted to say "good game" to you Skins fans. That was a true ### whooping.

22 first downs for the Skins to 2 for the Cards in the first half. It doesn't get much worse than that.

Good luck the rest of the year.

So glad football season has kicked off!  And it was great to see the Redskins get off to a good start.  I know it's only one week -- and that we have seen the team follow up good games with horrendous ones, so I'm not starry eyed calling Super Bowl -- but that said it is nice to finally start the season 1-0...first time under Gruden!  Some random thoughts and questions:

1.  Not pretending that AP is the AP of old, but he still has some juice left.  Some of the moves he would make -- he definitely brings an element of vision and elusiveness that Kelley and Perrine simply do not bring.  Whereas Kelly is good at hitting a hole and running downfield, I feel like AP really sees the field and picks his locations more patiently and therefore seems to get more.  The other thing that was cool was to see AP lay some punishing hits on the defenders at the end of some runs.  I really like that attitude and he even said he was trying to "set a tone."  Like it.

2.  Along with this, kudos to Coach for calling a balanced game.  Gruden swallowed his "inner Gruden" and stuck with the run...and he was rewarded.  The AP - CT combo is potentially lethal.  More of that please!

2.  Smith was who we thought he was -- smart, patient, accurate.  I think he only took one shot down the field (Richardson was open for a score if hit in stride), but honestly he didn't really need to do that.  He managed the game the way it played out well and didn't make the killer mistakes (such as avoiding the safety or throwing a pick down there).  The test will be what he does when the team is behind and Gruden is calling passes every down.  I like Smith in that role but am not certain of our WRs...more on that soon.

3.  Was pleased with the defense.  Our DL was biggest upgrade and they seemed to hold up ok.  Johnson didn't have the big game I thought he would.  Might have liked to see more intense pressure on the QB.  Didn't really hear Kerrigan or Smith's names called that much, which was a little surprising.  In future games, I'd like to see if we can nab a few sacks or at least more intense pressures/knockdowns.

4.  On a related note, if I was a Cardinals fan, I would be pissed that Coach gave up on giving the ball to Johnson so early in the game.  Yes, they were down early but putting the ball soley in Bradford's hands for a big come back was not wise.  That's usually what Washington does.  I think Cardinals could have made a better run of it if they had kept with Johnson.  But, glad they didn't, since I was rooting for the Skins.  Still, I felt like that was a big break for us that they called a poor game.  

5.  Bradford doesn't look good.  For the life of me, I don't know why he is hyped up so much every year.

6.  The Redskins secondary was better than I thought.  We lose Breeland and we lose Fuller and so we were rolling with Norman, Swearinger and a lot of young guys.  So cool to see the young guys step up.  Dunbar is a baller -- he would be my defensive player of the game.  Real nice to see as this was a point of worry for many.

7.  In addition to pass rush, the other thing that I'm a little concerned about is our Wide Receiver group. I think Richardson does have potential in this offense but Doctson is a stiff.  One catch for 11 yards.  Honestly, I would rather start Richardson, Harris and Crowder and just move on from Doctson. SUre, he may have one or two decent games this year but I'd rather have a lesser talent out there who can be consistent every game.  And, the mounting injuries on WR are concerning.  Now, Quinn, SIms, and Harris are all injured, leaving us extremely thin, particularly as frail as Doctson is.  We have Cobbs, Jr. and Kidsy on practice squad I guess if Quinn or Sims has something particularly serious.  Either way, the WRs just really weren't a big part of the game.  CT and AP lead all receivers in yardage; CT lead in receptions.  I think Reed was next.  ANd then the WRs at the bottom.  Granted, we didn't need that kind of game yesterday but we could in the future and I'm just not sure about this group.  Though I do believe in Smith , so maybe I'm just worried for nothing.

8.  Has anyone heard about the injury status of Quinn, SIms or Harris at this point?  I think there were a few MRIs scheduled for today.

Nice to talk football again...

That was great week 1 football. Let's enjoy it. We controlled the clock. Took the ball away. Kept the ball. Away from home. Bring on the Colts. 
This Colts game looks like an opportunity they have to take advantage of, especially if Aaron Rodgers is gonna be healthy when the Pack comes to DC in Week 3. Facing the deep NFC South this season is less than ideal, and the Skins close the season with 4 of 6 on the road including at Dallas on Thanksgiving, at Jacksonville and both of their games against the Eagles. 

Obviously it's very early and nobody knows exactly how all these teams will look in a month, but it's probably fair to assume that if they want to make the playoffs they'll need to pile up some early wins/home wins to buffer against that closing stretch.

I'm a Cardinals fan and was at the game yesterday. You guys kicked our butts.

Just wanted to say "good game" to you Skins fans. That was a true ### whooping.

22 first downs for the Skins to 2 for the Cards in the first half. It doesn't get much worse than that.

Good luck the rest of the year.
Thank you. We haven't had many real good games to celebrate in the last few years. Why do you think the Cards didn't use David Johnson more?

Thank you. We haven't had many real good games to celebrate in the last few years. Why do you think the Cards didn't use David Johnson more?
Part of the issue was the Cards didn't have the ball much at all. And by the time we did have it, the hole was too deep and we had to throw.

Hoping to see better usage next game, but I have a feeling it's not going to get any better against the Rams...

Brian Quick was re-signed at WR. Glad they did that, I don't think Ryan Anderson is ready for that yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
This Colts game looks like an opportunity they have to take advantage of, especially if Aaron Rodgers is gonna be healthy when the Pack comes to DC in Week 3. Facing the deep NFC South this season is less than ideal, and the Skins close the season with 4 of 6 on the road including at Dallas on Thanksgiving, at Jacksonville and both of their games against the Eagles. 

Obviously it's very early and nobody knows exactly how all these teams will look in a month, but it's probably fair to assume that if they want to make the playoffs they'll need to pile up some early wins/home wins to buffer against that closing stretch.
This will be an interesting test for the Redskins -- a winnable game certainly but no guarantee by any means.  We've seen this TV show enough to know that things can go from sunny to cloudy in a heartbeat!  That said, the key to me in this game is if we can sustain drives to limit Luck's chances and then once he is on the field if we can contain him.  (Basically, I said nothing there, but we need to play better offense and defense, lol).  But what I mean is:  from what I can surmise, the Colts do not have a stellar defense.  Gruden needs to dial up the run, run, run again this game -- not simply to score points but to limit the number of times Luck has it.  Had it not been for Doyle's fumble last week, Luck likely would have engineered another game winning drive and we'd be viewing the Colts entirely differently.  Luck through 53 times last week.  He's gonna sling it while on the field.  For this reason, it's going to be an enormous test for the young secondary.  TY Hilton is a threat and it looks like former Redskins Ryan Grant is the second option.  What that means is as good as Luck is, there is not such weapontry there that we cannot hang with those receivers. We need to shut TY Hilton the heck down -- lock him down as first, second and third priority.  And, unlike last week, we need to get a pass rush going.  Luck is a little better than Sam Bradford and if you give him time, eventually Hilton or the TE Doyle will break free.

Winnable game but need to be on point offensively and defensively...

Cam Sims on IR. Pretty short season for the guy, sadly. Waived LB Keyes. Signed Quick and DB Ladler from practice squad. Put WR Teo Redding on PS.

Cam Sims on IR. Pretty short season for the guy, sadly. Waived LB Keyes. Signed Quick and DB Ladler from practice squad. Put WR Teo Redding on PS.
Trey Quinn also placed on IR.  Harris back at practice but not totally cleared.  Brought up Jehu Chesson, WR from practice squad...second year guy via u of Michigan and KC Chiefs last year.  The move seems to be for special teams as he has experience as a kick returner.  But wow, he’s one Josh Doctson hit away from being our fourth WR right now...

One game in, Sims and Quinn gone. Damn. I'll be glad when Harris gets cleared to play. We might have to borrow a WR from the Colts if anyone goes down. "Hey, swap you a LB for a WR. You in?"

https://www.fantasyalarm.com/player-news/1432162/paul-richardson-added-to-injury-report/

Apparently, Richardson now added to injury report and not practicing today.

Crap. 

That would leave our first three as Doctson (worthless), Crowder, and Quick.  Chesson would be # 4 with nothing behind him.  If Luck is able to put points on the board, this would make it hard for us to keep up.  Might have to put Reed and Davis on the field at the same time and go all in on the TE options.

Hope the Richardson thing is only precautionary but like Doctson, he has a bit of a history with injuries so you never know.

We really need Harris back.

Friday DNPs are never a good thing, so I'm not sure that Richardson suits up on Sunday.   Without him, there's no real threat of going deep, so it's going to be more of the short-to-intermediate passing routes for Alex.   

He who shall not be named does not have the skills, not the attitude, to be a productive addition to this Team's success on the field, or it's efforts to change the culture off the field, either, methinks.

If said (unsaid) player is signed, I will personally view it as a step backwards, and be disappointed that the Team is not sticking to it's guns and gameplan.

I'd rather they trotted out heavy jumbo Reed/VDavis/Sprinkle than signing said (unsaid) player.

https://www.fantasyalarm.com/player-news/1432162/paul-richardson-added-to-injury-report/

Apparently, Richardson now added to injury report and not practicing today.

Crap. 

That would leave our first three as Doctson (worthless), Crowder, and Quick.  Chesson would be # 4 with nothing behind him.  If Luck is able to put points on the board, this would make it hard for us to keep up.  Might have to put Reed and Davis on the field at the same time and go all in on the TE options.

Hope the Richardson thing is only precautionary but like Doctson, he has a bit of a history with injuries so you never know.

We really need Harris back.
Mo Harris has cleared the concussion protocol. Provided there are few coverage breakdowns (and assumption of rational Coaching on Gruden's part - assuming is always dangerous, and this particular assumption not a safe wager, at all), tomorrow's game could be won on the backs of Peterson/Kelley/Thompson. Kudos for the 'skins not jumping the gun.

Looks like Alex has morphed back into Captain Checkdown again.  When you need 13 yards on 3rd down, he throws a 3-yard dumpoff to Thompson.

Meanwhile in Kansas City, his successor is ripping the NFL a new one.

Both lines were outplayed by the Colts' lines. I don't believe Indy is known for having particularly good lines.

The WR's were invisible. 10 catches total for WR's.

Pretty sure Smith threw short because nobody was open deep and the Colts were getting good pressure on him.

There was no running game. Crowder was the leading rusher with 29 yards.

I'm pretty sure Thompson is going to get killed this year. He's really productive but he got hit hard as hell multiple times today.

Foster, Brown, and Thompson looked good. I can't think of anyone else who did. Maybe Swearinger.

Lauvao was awful. Team looked slow, lacking confidence, hesitant. Good job, Jay.

I can't be the only one who noticed all the empty seats in the upper deck in the first half. The sellout "streak" has ended.

edited to add: 57,013

I can't be the only one who noticed all the empty seats in the upper deck in the first half. The sellout "streak" has ended.

edited to add: 57,013
Cheapest seats still apparently $100 range...those are nosebleeds.  Add in parking, food, etc and I just can’t see taking my family there and dropping $600 + dollars with other real needs.  And Snyder will never make the experience affordable to the common man.  We on this board are among the die hards, but he has essentially killed the team for many in this area.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/after-two-weeks-jay-grudens-redskins-lack-an-identity-and-thats-a-problem/2018/09/17/c7d97dfe-ba1f-11e8-9812-a389be6690af_story.html?utm_term=.cf9859d9c7e4

Several maddening things in here:

“And it’s myself as a play caller,” Gruden said. “Really, it’s my fault. I couldn’t give any rhythm calling plays. The inside zone wasn’t working. The outside zone wasn’t working. Our read options weren’t working very well. We became one-dimensional. And our play-action passes? We got sacked on two play passes, for goodness sakes.”

I’ve always admired Gruden for being forthright about his mistakes. The typical pro coach’s ego (and insecurities) won’t allow for such self-examination. But Gruden has confessed his sins too often for comfort. This is his fifth season, and he needs to produce a playoff team. This miserable game amounts to a lost opportunity to clear a low bar. The introspection is admirable, but when do we get to hear him talk about sustained success?"

It's true; I'm tired of Gruden "accepting blame."  It's like a kid consistently getting an F because he didn't turn in his homework, who consistently owns up to his responsibility.  It's cool that you own up, but hey kid, DO THE HOMEWORK!  

“That’s the only thing — they wanted it more,” said Adrian Peterson, who rushed 11 times for 20 yards against Arizona. “And it was obvious they wanted it more.”

Jesus...how is it that we have football players at the very height of their profession and they don't "want it."  This is completely maddening.

Now, away from the article:  previously I voiced fears about our WR corps.  Well, those fears have officially been realized.  With no vertical threat, Indy was able to stuff us short and swarm to the ball.  In his defense, Smith threw several longer passes early in the game that could have changed the dynamic, but first Doctson (on the sidelines) dropped one, and then Richardson (over the middle) dropped one.  I think if we hit on those early long balls, the dynamic of the game is potentially different.  But of course, if "ifs and buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.  Of course Doctson dropped it; he sucks.  I really am serious, when Harris comes back, they should start him over Doctson.  

Sorry I'm ranting now.  I'm really not THAT hopeless about our team.  I'm still gonna hold out hope -- if we can steal one of the next three (Green Bay, New Orleans, Carolina) then maybe we can do well against Dallas and the Giants, who like us have issues.  So we still have a chance to hover around .500 going into the mid-way point to remain competitive in the playoff race.  But geeze, what a let down after that first game.

I will say I think 7-9 gets Gruden fired this year.

Users who are viewing this thread