What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (10 Viewers)

Washington did the right thing taking Young. He's going to make that defense legit overnight. Now I'm praying a Trent Williams for OJ Howard trade happens today to take care of another huge need. 
Yep.  Its much easier to get better with a strong D.  Also takes pressure off Haskins.  We are headed in the right direction. 

Re: the pick.  Pre-draft, i wanted the Skins to trade down and acquire multiple picks on the theory that you have a better chance to improve with multiple selections vs. one swing for the fence.  Nothing is certain, not even Chase Young.  We could have parlayed Young into Trent's replacement and maybe either a WR or Safety, which would have been nice.  And we already have a decent defensive front.  But, with all that said, by all reports only Atlanta offered a haul and maybe that haul was not of sufficient value to make a trade down worth it.  By all accounts, Young is a great player, so if no one offered us an RG3-like haul, it's possible the team did the right thing by drafting a potentially game changing player.

Re: Trent, both player and team has f-ed this up royally.  Skins holding out for a high pick for a 31 year old injury prone player who just sat out a year and is one bong hit away from a year long suspension?  That same player holding on to the hopes of someone making him the highest paid lineman in the league?  Both player and team deserve to be slapped.  Now it's time for the Redskins to swallow their foolish pride and get what they can.  I say if they can strike a deal with Minnesota to get a pick between 3-5 and if Minnesota will throw in Reilly Reiff, then do it.  Reiff is not a world beater, but he is a legitimate starter and that would mean we're not under pressure to draft OL this year.  Take the mid round pick and Reif, then look to the first two rounds next year for long term offensive line help.

WIth the 66th pick, pray to god that one of the top TEs slipped through.

I'm sure it will not happen like this at all.  We'll hold Trent, get nothing but a comp pick next year when he leaves as a UFA.  In the meantime, with 66 we'll take another DL.  Yeah, I'm a long time Redskins fan.  🙂

tangfoot said:
Redskins ####ed themselves by falling in love with the best player in the draft. No one truly believed that pick was available. 
can't blame them I doubt Miami and SD offered anything because the Giants and Lions didnt trade either

Re: the pick.  Pre-draft, i wanted the Skins to trade down and acquire multiple picks on the theory that you have a better chance to improve with multiple selections vs. one swing for the fence.  Nothing is certain, not even Chase Young.  We could have parlayed Young into Trent's replacement and maybe either a WR or Safety, which would have been nice.  And we already have a decent defensive front.  But, with all that said, by all reports only Atlanta offered a haul and maybe that haul was not of sufficient value to make a trade down worth it.  By all accounts, Young is a great player, so if no one offered us an RG3-like haul, it's possible the team did the right thing by drafting a potentially game changing player.

Re: Trent, both player and team has f-ed this up royally.  Skins holding out for a high pick for a 31 year old injury prone player who just sat out a year and is one bong hit away from a year long suspension?  That same player holding on to the hopes of someone making him the highest paid lineman in the league?  Both player and team deserve to be slapped.  Now it's time for the Redskins to swallow their foolish pride and get what they can.  I say if they can strike a deal with Minnesota to get a pick between 3-5 and if Minnesota will throw in Reilly Reiff, then do it.  Reiff is not a world beater, but he is a legitimate starter and that would mean we're not under pressure to draft OL this year.  Take the mid round pick and Reif, then look to the first two rounds next year for long term offensive line help.

WIth the 66th pick, pray to god that one of the top TEs slipped through.

I'm sure it will not happen like this at all.  We'll hold Trent, get nothing but a comp pick next year when he leaves as a UFA.  In the meantime, with 66 we'll take another DL.  Yeah, I'm a long time Redskins fan.  🙂
I agree with pretty much all of this, except I strongly disagree with TE @ pick #66. No way ANY of the TE's in THIS draft are worth #66 imo.

If ONLY ONE OF Hunter Bryant, Kmet, Trautman, or Hopkins were sitting there at pick #108 it would make sense to grab one of them. If more than one were available I'd probably cross my fingers and hope that one of them slipped to #142. To me there isn't a huge difference between that first tier of TE's and the second tier of TE's. If they ended up taking one of the second tier of TE's at #162 that would probably make the most sense. If they could find a trade with CHI to slide down and acquire Shaheen that would also make sense. Shaheen probably has as high an upside as any of the TE's in this draft even if he has been a disappointment thus far. Maybe WAS slides down from #162 to #196 and picks up Shaheen, for instance.

Another thought if they did make a trade with Williams to MIN maybe Williams/Kerrigan for Reiff/Rudolph/Harris. MIN should want to clear those Reiff/Rudolph contracts off their cap as they are pretty bad and they have been trying to figure out a solution to Harris for awhile. This draft isn't heavy in pass rushers and WAS may as well get anything they can get for Kerrigan. Kerrigan would play a much bigger role on MIN and Rudolph would play a much bigger role in WAS. Both are likely to have a reduced role on their current team. Really it's Williams for Harris with some extras thrown in. It at least plugs a few of WAS holes all over their roster.

I think they want to use him at WR and RB.  :shrug:   heard hes pretty explosive.  Dont know much about him. 
He's a polarizing player. Some love him. He just seems like a luxury for a team like WAS.

I was afraid Rivera would reach for a RB. If they had drafted McFarland after pick #108 I would have been fine with it.

Redskins have some very good options left for them at pick #108.

TE - As I expected one of the top tier guys would be left and Hunter Bryant very well could end up being the best TE in the class. At pick #108 I absolutely would pull the trigger there. 

OT - Before the draft started we had mentioned Prince Tega in this thread even at pick #66 so he would be a solid choice here. Raw but has the tools to develop into a good LT.

CB - I'm pretty surprised that Bryce Hall is still on the board. He's one of the bigger CB's left and could possibly make the switch to FS. Probably only left on the board because he had a season ending ankle injury and anyone with medical questions THIS offseason were likely to fall, fair or not.

WR - Peoples-Jones would make a nice compliment across from McLauren and has the athleticism to get more separation than Harmon. They already drafted Gibson but he could be more of a slot/gadget guy that gets the ball near the los and his production comes from YAC. 

LB - Gaither could be a good fit for the Rivera defense and would be an excellent ST player from day 1.

With so many options WAS might even be able to slide down a few picks and still be guaranteed to get someone very good that can contribute right away. I always feel like this is when the good teams are willing to make a package of picks since they don't see a lot of players left on the board that can actually make their team. In particular HOU(pick#111) and MIN(pick#117) seem like potential trade partners in win-now windows. HOU doesn't seem to be valuing future picks as much as most and MIN has three picks in the 4th round. If either of those teams sleeps on it and has ONE GUY they are high on a trade down makes sense for WAS.

Redskins have some very good options left for them at pick #108.

TE - As I expected one of the top tier guys would be left and Hunter Bryant very well could end up being the best TE in the class. At pick #108 I absolutely would pull the trigger there. 

OT - Before the draft started we had mentioned Prince Tega in this thread even at pick #66 so he would be a solid choice here. Raw but has the tools to develop into a good LT.

CB - I'm pretty surprised that Bryce Hall is still on the board. He's one of the bigger CB's left and could possibly make the switch to FS. Probably only left on the board because he had a season ending ankle injury and anyone with medical questions THIS offseason were likely to fall, fair or not.

WR - Peoples-Jones would make a nice compliment across from McLauren and has the athleticism to get more separation than Harmon. They already drafted Gibson but he could be more of a slot/gadget guy that gets the ball near the los and his production comes from YAC. 

LB - Gaither could be a good fit for the Rivera defense and would be an excellent ST player from day 1.

With so many options WAS might even be able to slide down a few picks and still be guaranteed to get someone very good that can contribute right away. I always feel like this is when the good teams are willing to make a package of picks since they don't see a lot of players left on the board that can actually make their team. In particular HOU(pick#111) and MIN(pick#117) seem like potential trade partners in win-now windows. HOU doesn't seem to be valuing future picks as much as most and MIN has three picks in the 4th round. If either of those teams sleeps on it and has ONE GUY they are high on a trade down makes sense for WAS.
Hope they go TE...start right away and give us a receiving dimension we didn’t have w Sprinkle.

The Nigerian Prince would also be good at 108 but I’d prefer the TE as he maybe would be more likely to contribute right away...

Redskins go OT and gonna roll the dice at TE I guess.  What do you all know about this tackle they just drafted?
I know Bloom retweeted a post about Saahdiq being the steal of the draft.  He played left tackle at LSU, this is a value pick for sure. 6'4 320 lbs anchored an OL that won the national title, good pick.

I know Bloom retweeted a post about Saahdiq being the steal of the draft.  He played left tackle at LSU, this is a value pick for sure. 6'4 320 lbs anchored an OL that won the national title, good pick.
He is the steal of the draft much like Antonio Brown is the steal of FA.

As much as the D may be great this season and they picked up some decent pieces in the draft (so far), this season will be all about determining if Haskins is the right QB.  That's all that will matter come game time.

As much as the D may be great this season and they picked up some decent pieces in the draft (so far), this season will be all about determining if Haskins is the right QB.  That's all that will matter come game time.
True.  But a good D can help the offense.  Can give him better field position, shorter drives, etc.  And tbh, you can be competitive with a strong D even with a  below average QB.  I Look forward to seeing how he progresses.  But i was impressed last year that once he finally got reps and a chance to start he seemed to learn and improve each week.  All i want this season is the young guys to get better, learn the new system and set the stage for the following season. 

I’m shocked that we even got a 5th and 2021 3rd for Trent at this point.  At least it’s over and I’m thankful for that.

Rivera is the kind of coach you want for guys that have any questionable off the field history or maturity issues. He won't put up with anything. Thank God we don't still have Gruden, he's like a blind substitute teacher by comparison

Last edited by a moderator:
Devin Asiasi failed a drug test too and was suspended, yet every skin fan wanted him too.
Yeah, I think drafting Asiasi where he was drafted(or any other TE for that matter where he was drafted) would have been a pretty awful move.

BTW I'm not saying that Skins should only be drafting choir boys. For instance if O'Grady(Arkansas)TE was available at pick #216 I would take him in a heartbeat..... and he may be. But you aren't taking nearly as big a risk at that point in the draft and passing on talented players with fewer red flags. I might even consider him at pick #162 but only if my other targets at that pick were already gone.

John Keim

@john_keim

·

1m

One thing of note with Charles: He can play guard, too. So could end up at any of four OL spots...and it'll be really interesting to see what happens at LT. not convinced it'll be Christian. Lucas has been a backup. Find another vet? Long way to go (hopefully only 3.5 months)

True.  But a good D can help the offense.  Can give him better field position, shorter drives, etc.  And tbh, you can be competitive with a strong D even with a  below average QB.  I Look forward to seeing how he progresses.  But i was impressed last year that once he finally got reps and a chance to start he seemed to learn and improve each week.  All i want this season is the young guys to get better, learn the new system and set the stage for the following season. 
If you ask me CeeDee Lamb at #16 and Josh Jones at #66 would have helped Haskins a lot more than anyone that they could have added on defense if they were really all-in on helping Haskins become the best chance at succeeding as a QB.

Find another vet? Long way to go (hopefully only 3.5 months)
The vet tackles(and TE's for that matter) on left on the open market are completely terrible. Everyone should know that by now. CB and S there are still some guys floating around.

John Keim should know this or you shouldn't be listening to anything he has to say.

The vet tackles(and TE's for that matter) on left on the open market are completely terrible. Everyone should know that by now. CB and S there are still some guys floating around.

John Keim should know this or you shouldn't be listening to anything he has to say.
This team isnt going to be turned around in one draft.  Progress is our goal.  We dont need to find a pro bowl tackle right now.  Lets just get better.   

Looks to me like they are saying our offense really, really sucked.  And losing Trent and Flowers leaves a major hole on the left side.

Since Young, they have have taken 4 offensive players and I wouldn't be surprised to see another OL or TE with the next pick.  Hopefully Adams or Waganaho drops to them.

ETA:  God awful pick to get an undersized LB.  It's a need for sure, but don't like that one at all.  Played special teams.  maybe that was a factor

Looks to me like they are saying our offense really, really sucked.  And losing Trent and Flowers leaves a major hole on the left side.

Since Young, they have have taken 4 offensive players and I wouldn't be surprised to see another OL or TE with the next pick.  Hopefully Adams or Waganaho drops to them.

ETA:  God awful pick to get an undersized LB.  It's a need for sure, but don't like that one at all.  Played special teams.  maybe that was a factor
He ran a 4.56 40 yard dash which is decent, he has similar size and speed to Patrick Queens

This team isnt going to be turned around in one draft.  Progress is our goal.  We dont need to find a pro bowl tackle right now.  Lets just get better.   
I've never understood this. They don't need to find a pro bowl T right now? But they also don't need to pass on Josh Jones if a T falls in your lap. That's the way you get better. Instead they took WR in a draft that everyone knows is going to be deep at WR and there will be very talented WR's available for several more rounds. 

If there is only one position on the team where they are strong at(DL), is using most of your draft capital to improve DL really making progress?

I think the Skins are having a very solid draft. And we might as well add Sweat to this class, that was our 2nd round this year for all practical purposes. I'd say this is our 3rd or 4th solid draft in a row, after a lot of years of horrible drafting during the Allen years....so happy he's gone. 

Grab a TE and a tackle in the draft, a CB in free agency and the skins look good.

I've never understood this. They don't need to find a pro bowl T right now? But they also don't need to pass on Josh Jones if a T falls in your lap. That's the way you get better. Instead they took WR in a draft that everyone knows is going to be deep at WR and there will be very talented WR's available for several more rounds. 

If there is only one position on the team where they are strong at(DL), is using most of your draft capital to improve DL really making progress?
Will have to wait and see.  I’ll defer to the staff that they have a strong vision for the team and how to best build it.  But generally you draft for not just this coming season but the next two as well.  So grabbing the best player in the draft according to most analysts i am fine with.  And if it translates to a top 3 defense next year then yes it will be significant progress.  

im happy with the draft thus far.  You can armchair qb all you want but we won’t know whether this will work out for a year or two.  

For the most part, draft best player available.  You just don't know what your needs will be a few years down the road.  Plus, once you are in the 3rd day of picks, the goal is just to get productive players.  Not just players that may fill a current need if they develop.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2020/04/25/nfl-draft-grades-2020-teams-packers-eagles-cowboys-dolphins/3026362001/

Washington Redskins: Give them credit for not letting a team like Atlanta entice them to trade the No. 2 pick used on Chase Young – widely touted as this draft's top prospect and a man who should elevate a defense teeming with potential. Third-round RB Antonio Gibson, fourth-round OT Saahdiq Charles and fourth-round WR Antonio Gandy-Golden are intriguing prospects for a team that needs playmakers, and any could have been taken sooner. TE Thaddeus Moss was signed after going undrafted. In sum, nice job by new coach Ron Rivera. As far as the previous regime, Washington should've gotten more in the trade of LT Trent Williams, but give credit for mortgaging this year's second-rounder in order to get 2019 first-round DE Montez Sweat. - A-

Excited to see what Randy Moss’ son Thaddeus can do!  We’re thin at TE so even as an UFA he may have a chance to contribute...
I agree with that. It's odd that he's related to Randy Moss because he seems the exact opposite. He should be a very good blocker with sure hands if he can find a hold in zone defenses. I don't think he's an exciting player, but it's exciting they got someone so they don't have to give Sprinkle an extension.

Very nice pickup imo.

PinkydaPimp said:
People say I hate PFF but I couldn't agree with them more....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfePJO2i35g

Redskin talk starts at the 10:43 mark.

I think they are going way too easy on the Redskins based on all reports that ATL was trying to trade up for Chase and sliding all the way up from #16 to #2 would have netted SUBSTANTIAL compensation.

PinkydaPimp said:
 You can armchair qb all you want but we won’t know whether this will work out for a year or two.  
If we all weren't interested in playing "armchair QB" would we be on a fantasy football website in April in the first place?

I just hate the "Matt Millen Defense" of some picks. "Well, he's payed an awful lot of money to know more about this than we are...." and "There's really no way to tell if it was mistake until several years from now....". "You have to give him the benefit of the doubt.....". That's how the Bruce Allens, and the Jay Grudens, and the Matt Millens of the world keep a job for way too long. 

I've heard it all before when I've criticized the team taking Troy Apke, and Ryan Anderson, and Jeremy Sprinkle, and Su'a Cravens. Cravens was even a tough one to criticize at the time because I respected that GM so much. I've also praised the team on several occasions when they picked Sweat, and Harmon, and Settle, and Allen, and Fuller. I just call them as I see them, it's not like I'm randomly criticizing every pick or decision.

There are some prospects that make sense for certain teams, systems, and needs and other prospects that don't. If we aren't here to speculate about how these players fit into a teams future then why are we here? Why would anyone play fantasy football if they didn't want to speculate on the future performance of football players? After all, we can just sit back and watch what happens after a year or two. I know I'll be drafting for the 2012 NFL season soon because there was no reason to draft players at that time.... we all needed to just sit back and see how things worked out before we had our fantasy draft for that season.

Do you think Bill O'Brien made a wise decision in the Hopkins trade with ARZ, or would you maintain that we won't know if that was a smart or dumb decision for several years?

gocats said:
Grab a TE and a tackle in the draft, a CB in free agency and the skins look good.
They really do need both a CB and S in FA, and there are some cheap guys left.

Assuming the plan is for Gibson to play WR it also wouldn't hurt to grab another complimentary back as the ones left on the market should be dirt cheap at this point. I don't think you can plan on Guice/Love being healthy and Peterson is standing on the edge of a cliff. 

If we all weren't interested in playing "armchair QB" would we be on a fantasy football website in April in the first place?

I just hate the "Matt Millen Defense" of some picks. "Well, he's payed an awful lot of money to know more about this than we are...." and "There's really no way to tell if it was mistake until several years from now....". "You have to give him the benefit of the doubt.....". That's how the Bruce Allens, and the Jay Grudens, and the Matt Millens of the world keep a job for way too long. 

I've heard it all before when I've criticized the team taking Troy Apke, and Ryan Anderson, and Jeremy Sprinkle, and Su'a Cravens. Cravens was even a tough one to criticize at the time because I respected that GM so much. I've also praised the team on several occasions when they picked Sweat, and Harmon, and Settle, and Allen, and Fuller. I just call them as I see them, it's not like I'm randomly criticizing every pick or decision.

There are some prospects that make sense for certain teams, systems, and needs and other prospects that don't. If we aren't here to speculate about how these players fit into a teams future then why are we here? Why would anyone play fantasy football if they didn't want to speculate on the future performance of football players? After all, we can just sit back and watch what happens after a year or two. I know I'll be drafting for the 2012 NFL season soon because there was no reason to draft players at that time.... we all needed to just sit back and see how things worked out before we had our fantasy draft for that season.

Do you think Bill O'Brien made a wise decision in the Hopkins trade with ARZ, or would you maintain that we won't know if that was a smart or dumb decision for several years?
You make a good point and we are all armchair qbs.  I have no idea what will happen.  None of us do.  At this point I’m happy trusting the front office and seeing what happens.  I’m ok moving slowly and building a team the right way.  I feel very strongly in drafting BPA and not reaching to fill gaps when rebuilding.  

and tbh i think Houston’s trade was bad.  But what the #### do i know?  Maybe dhop told them. To trade him?  So yes we shall see how it plays out.  

i just think folks are thinking we need to fill every gap right now.  Let’s rebuild the right way.  We truly haven’t in like 20 years.  

btw we have a good amount of cap space.  So i think we can find bodies to hold it down short term.  

im curious what were your thoughts on not drafting a te?  Seems many were upset by that.  I was happy we waited and just grabbed moss after(not sure he will pan out but worth a shot).

Pretty underrated roster for the Skins

Offense
QB Dwayne Haskins/Kyle Allen/Steven Montez
RB Adrian Peterson/Derrius Guice/Bryce Love
TE Caleb Wilson/Thaddeus Moss/Jeremy Sprinkle/Logan Thomas
WR Terry McLaurin/Cam Sims
WR Steven Sims / Antonio Gandy-Golden
WR Antonio Gibson / Kelvin Harmon
LT Geron Christian Sr. / Saahdiq Charles
LG Wes Schweitzer / Wes Martin
C Chase Roullier / Ross Pierschbacher
RG Brandon Sheriff / Keith Ismael
RT Cornelius Lucas/Morgan Moses

4-3 Defense
LDE Montez Sweat / Ryan Anderson
LDT Jonathan Allen / Matt Ioannidis/ Tim Settle
RDT Daron Payne / Caleb Brantley
RDE Chase Young / James Smith-Williams
WLB Kevin Pierre-Louis / Cameron Malveaux
MLB Thomas Davis Sr / Jon Bostic
SLB Rueben Foster
CB Kendall Fuller / Fabian Moreau
CB Ronald Darby / Jimmy Moreland /Free agent signing
SS Landon Collins / Khaleke Hudson
FS Sean Davis / Kamren Curl/Free agent?

im curious what were your thoughts on not drafting a te?  Seems many were upset by that.  I was happy we waited and just grabbed moss after(not sure he will pan out but worth a shot).
I probably would have drafted a TE but they came out of it fine imo, probably better than I would have. Moss was one of the guys that I was hoping were on their radar as I had seen him mocked ~6th/7th round and they were able to sign him as an undrafted FA which was great work on their part. In an ideal world I would have paired him with a receiving TE like either Bryant or O'Grady. Let the two rookies battle it out and put the other one on your practice squad. Hopefully one or both of them would trend up enough that they could just let Sprinkle walk at the end of the season and you wouldn't have to pay Sprinkle the vet minimum to stay in 2021.

Bryant ended up signing with DET but I think O'Grady is still out there as a FA. Bryant must have a really messed up knee that is worse than any of us knew. In the 7th round I probably would have burned a pick on either of them though. I still think Shaheen(CHI) probably has more upside as a receiver than any TE in this draft. Everyone knew that he was a project when he was drafted in the middle of the 2nd round a few years ago and he's only 25yo. Since CHI over payed Graham and over drafted Kmet I don't think it would take more than a conditional day 3 pick in the 2021 draft to acquire him. Some guys just need a second chance. But I also would have given a second chance to Trey Burton for the $900k IND is paying him. Keep in mind WAS spent $2.5+Mil on Logan Thomas.... and that goes up to $3.6Mil in year two of that deal. 

I also would have loved to see the team trade for a guy like Gerald Everett(LAR) as the Rams gave Higbee a big extension and just drafted Hopkins fairly early so I don't think Everett is in their long term plans and only has one year left on his contract.

Users who are viewing this thread