What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Carson Wentz, KC (4 Viewers)

They weren't picked #2 overall?

Seriously, #1 overall Palmer also sat a year and turned out OK.
I understand the higher the pick the higher expectations to play. With that being said if the Eagles think it would be better for his long-term outlook to sit this year I don't have a problem with it. If they are out of the race by the end of year then maybe start making the transition at that point. 

Eagles first-round pick Carson Wentz is expected to get "a ton" of playing time in the preseason.
The Eagles pretty much know what they have in Sam Bradford and Chase Daniel, and shouldn't feel the need to expose them to exhibition games. Because third-string quarterbacks get no reps during the season, preseason games will be Wentz's best opportunity to gain experience until the Eagles fall out of the playoff race, at which point Wentz might make starts. We would not be surprised if Wentz wound up leading all quarterbacks in preseason snaps this year.

Source: Philly Voice 
Jul 24 - 3:47 PM

The whole way the Eagles handled their QB situation this offseason was baffling. It's almost like they have no idea what they are doing. 
It's all driven by the NFL calendar. If Free agency was after the draft, none of this would be confusing. Bradford wouldn't be here. Chase Daniel would be the Doug Pederson placeholder and Wentz would be worked in this year. 

Back in February though, the Eagles had the 13th pick and a QB they didn't want to sign long term but had little other options available.  They signed Bradford short term for a lot of money. Then they were able to move up to #2. 

It's not really that confusing. 

It's all driven by the NFL calendar. If Free agency was after the draft, none of this would be confusing. Bradford wouldn't be here. Chase Daniel would be the Doug Pederson placeholder and Wentz would be worked in this year. 

Back in February though, the Eagles had the 13th pick and a QB they didn't want to sign long term but had little other options available.  They signed Bradford short term for a lot of money. Then they were able to move up to #2. 

And signing Chase Daniel as one of the 25 highest paid QBs in the NFL?

THIS!

Excellent point but it has caused one the oddest QB situations that I can recall.  

A high-priced, often injured, former 1st pick, who has never realized his potential acquired in a trade and signed to a large contract.  A high priced backup who hasn't done anything that caused head scratching at the time he got his contract.

Then, the big two-part trade-up for a guy from a small school who the FO is obviously tempering expectations by leaking that he 'could be sat' if the season began today.  

I think that many NFL fans will be watching how this unfolds but I don't see how Howie Roseman can get out of this unscathed after investing soo much in the QB position when it is possible that one or two or even all three of those guys could fail.  He might be able to buy some time but the fans will push for the rookie to start sooner than later.

THIS!

Excellent point but it has caused one the oddest QB situations that I can recall.  

A high-priced, often injured, former 1st pick, who has never realized his potential acquired in a trade and signed to a large contract.  A high priced backup who hasn't done anything that caused head scratching at the time he got his contract.

Then, the big two-part trade-up for a guy from a small school who the FO is obviously tempering expectations by leaking that he 'could be sat' if the season began today.  

I think that many NFL fans will be watching how this unfolds but I don't see how Howie Roseman can get out of this unscathed after investing soo much in the QB position when it is possible that one or two or even all three of those guys could fail.  He might be able to buy some time but the fans will push for the rookie to start sooner than later.
This will shake out after this season.  It's really not that big of a deal

Eagles coach Doug Pederson wants Carson Wentz to be "starter ready" by Week 1.

"You want (Wentz) to be in a position where if there’s an injury or somebody goes down, you plug him in and you don’t have any worries," coach Doug Pederson said. "You’re fully confident in his ability to take over. Because backup quarterbacks need to be ready to go in an instant." In theory, it's just coachspeak, but it's also an admission the Eagles believe Wentz could be "starter ready" by the opener. Sam Bradford needs to have the season of his life to hold off the No. 2 overall pick for 16 games.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Joe Banner ‏@JoeBanner13  2h2 hours ago
Interesting, as Eagles give up enough in trade that they believe Wentz to be top 5-10 QB & Browns say not in the top 20. Time will tell.
-----------

In 2015 Howie Roseman spoke of the dangers of trading up in the draft.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Howie-Roseman-on-draft-day-trades-free-agency-the-combine-and-more.html

Howie Roseman - in 2015 - on trading up in the draft

Updated: APRIL 21, 2016 — 1:07 PM EDT

(NOTE: This blog post was originally published on March 1, 2015. On April 20, 2016, the Eagles traded several draft picks, including their first picks in 2016 and 2017, to move from eighth to second in the first round of the NFL draft.)

Howie Roseman said that the history of trading up for one player in the NFL Draft is not favorable for the team that must give up significant resources...

...  "When you’re looking at trading up, at some point, your board drops off so dramatically in terms of how you evaluate that player,” Roseman said, as heard on the conference’s webcast. “But the history of trading up for one player, when you look at those trades, isn’t good for the team trading up and putting a lot of resources into it.

"Because the guys who are really good at the draft, if you’re hitting on 60 percent of your first-round picks, that’s a pretty good track record. And then it’s dropping as you go through the rounds. So really, the more chances you get, the more tickets to the lottery you get, the better you should be doing.”

... “… we also always overestimate our ability to pick great players. That’s what we do – we have confidence in our ability to pick players ...”

ON PLAYER EVALUATION…

“It’s about the quality of competition when you’re evaluating someone. So if you’re evaluating a pass rusher and he’s going up against a low level of competition, and he has three sacks against an offensive tackle who’s going to be on Wall Street three months after the season ends, that’s not the same as seeing him go up against a future first-round pick.

“So when we’re looking at players, we’re trying to make sure – it’s like these guys in the preseason who do great in the fourth quarter against guys who are going to be out of football two weeks later. So part of it is who they’re going up against, the quality of competition.”

The very next year he did the exact opposite and used many draft picks to trade up for a player who faced a lower level of competition.

Joe Banner, the former GM of both the Eagles and Browns has a unique insight but the Browns have not stated that Carson Wentz isn't a top 20 QB however, Roseman's words were known and recorded a year before he traded up for Wentz.

Joe Banner ‏@JoeBanner13  2h2 hours ago
Interesting, as Eagles give up enough in trade that they believe Wentz to be top 5-10 QB & Browns say not in the top 20. Time will tell.
-----------

In 2015 Howie Roseman spoke of the dangers of trading up in the draft.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/Howie-Roseman-on-draft-day-trades-free-agency-the-combine-and-more.html

The very next year he did the exact opposite and used many draft picks to trade up for a player who faced a lower level of competition.

Joe Banner, the former GM of both the Eagles and Browns has a unique insight but the Browns have not stated that Carson Wentz isn't a top 20 QB however, Roseman's words were known and recorded a year before he traded up for Wentz.
Where were you 4 months ago when we  needed this insight?!

Where were you 4 months ago when we  needed this insight?!
Shared the same story in April but it got buried.

I wanted to revisit the words of Roseman due to Banner's tweet which indicates the Browns are saying Wentz isn't even a top 20 QB which is false.

The Browns have always been complimentary of Wentz but their analytic team are using analytics to play the odds,

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/742601-when-was-the-last-time-a-team-with-no-qb-traded-down-with-one-on-the-board-in-the-top-5/#comment-19048286

posted April 22 

Carson Wentz suffered a hairline fracture to his ribs in the Eagles' preseason opener.
The Eagles don't have a timetable for Wentz's return, but hope to have him back before the end of the preseason. It's obviously a massive blow to his development, as Wentz needs all the reps he can get making the jump from FCS. The injury shouldn't have any carryover in the regular season. Wentz was never going to beat out Sam Bradford before Week 1, but is still a threat to make starts this year.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 
Aug 13 - 3:14 PM

Former NFL trainer Mike Ryan reports Carson Wentz (ribs) will not be able to throw "hard" for two-to-three weeks.
Wentz suffered a hairline fracture to his ribs in the preseason opener, an injury which will prevent him from taking contact for around a month. He was never going to take the No. 1 job from Sam Bradford, but he could have used the preseason reps. Wentz will likely open the season as a gameday inactive.

Source: Mike Ryan on Twitter 
Aug 13 - 4:48 PM

where does one target him in rookie drafts?
I got him at 2.6 in a deep keep/dynasty draft where you start 2 QBs. He was the 4th QB off the board behind Prescott, Lynch, and Goff.  I think those guys all have better opportunities in 2016, Prescott because of injury, Goff and Lynch because of who they are behind on the depth chart.  But for my league I ranked Wentz 2nd only to Prescott all things considered, and if Romo hadn't got hurt, I think I would have taken Wentz over all of them. 

A lot to like here.  Great wonderlick, prototypical size, good scrambling ability, great decision making, won a lot in college, and probably the best arm in the draft.  He has work to do for sure, needs to work on accuracy on deep routes and getting a feel for the NFL pocket.  He has work to do and a year on the bench learning the game and perfecting his craft is going to do him well. 

I think if you can get him as the 4th QB off the board in a dynasty you are doing well as he might have the highest ceiling of all the guys in the draft, but he's also probably gonna have to wait a while before he gets a shot.  I actually thought he and those other three rookie QBs would all go in the first round in a 2 QB league, so I was definitely happy to get him in the middle of the 2nd. 

I got him at 2.6 in a deep keep/dynasty draft where you start 2 QBs. He was the 4th QB off the board behind Prescott, Lynch, and Goff.  I think those guys all have better opportunities in 2016, Prescott because of injury, Goff and Lynch because of who they are behind on the depth chart.  But for my league I ranked Wentz 2nd only to Prescott all things considered, and if Romo hadn't got hurt, I think I would have taken Wentz over all of them. 

A lot to like here.  Great wonderlick, prototypical size, good scrambling ability, great decision making, won a lot in college, and probably the best arm in the draft.  He has work to do for sure, needs to work on accuracy on deep routes and getting a feel for the NFL pocket.  He has work to do and a year on the bench learning the game and perfecting his craft is going to do him well. 

I think if you can get him as the 4th QB off the board in a dynasty you are doing well as he might have the highest ceiling of all the guys in the draft, but he's also probably gonna have to wait a while before he gets a shot.  I actually thought he and those other three rookie QBs would all go in the first round in a 2 QB league, so I was definitely happy to get him in the middle of the 2nd. 
Nice pick. If you can afford to wait 3 years, you will receive a great ROI. 

I drafted him in all my dyno leagues but I did so because I thought he'd learn and wait and become better.  He isn't nearly ready enough to be a starter even in a simplified offense so color me concerned 

Per rotoworld:

Carson Wentz - QB -  Eagles

Eagles coach Doug Pederson named first-round QB Carson Wentz the Week 1 starter.
Pederson said Wentz is 100 percent recovered from the rib injury which knocked him out of the first preseason game and took every snap with the first-team offense at Monday's practice. Wentz has a low-floor as a rookie starter with just 38 preseason snaps under his belt, but he opens his career in a great spot against the Browns' bottom-three defense. He is worth a look in two-QB formats and a great play in DFS.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter 
Sep 5 - 11:35 AM

I'm in a 2 QB dynasty league and he went early first round - and that's even when Bradford was still there. Crazy he fell to mid second. 

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl  5h5 hours ago
Will be interesting to see how #Browns DC Ray Horton game plans vs. Wentz. Will he come out with blitz early?
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl  5h5 hours ago

Adam Caplan Retweeted Bill G
They wanted one rib that was still sore to get more healing. Decision was made before Bridgewater got hurt.

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl  3h3 hours ago
Wentz said he was wearing a flak jacket when he suffered broken ribs and he'll continue to wear it.
===================================

I don't know if Horton will come out early with the blitz but am sure he will be blitzing often.  

Howie Roseman has been doing a full-scale PR blitz trying to sell Wentz but come on.

The kid only has attempted 24 passes in the preseason and completed half with 0 TDs and 1 INT.  He only began working with the first team offense on Monday.  The team said in June that the plan was to sit Wentz and that he 'might not even suit up for the first game' but lets be honest here.

This season changed when Teddy got injured and Howie got a chance to steal a 1st and 4th from Minny.  

THAT changed everything.

The incredibly bad break for Teddy meant an incredible opportunity for Roseman to extract himself from a bad QB situation where he had overpaid Bradford and Chase Daniels and where his prized rookie QB simply was and is still not ready to take over.  

By being able to trade Bradford and recoup the 1st round pick he gave up to land Wentz he not only gets to dump that huge contract for Bradford but he isn't under the gun to win-now.

It really doesn't matter as much now because this season is not about anything other than developing Wentz, as it should have been but with Bradford he could not justify starting a rookie over Sam.  If Bradford was still on the team then the year would have been about winning and decreasing the value of the 1st rond pick given up to land Wentz but the 1st round pick acquired for Bradford MORE than makes up for one or two more losses this year the team will suffer by starting a rookie QB.

Give Roseman credit for making the right move in dealing Bradford and for naming Wentz the starter even though he is not ready.

The kid will take his lumps and he's got a great shot to win his first game at home against a terrible Browns team that has 8 straight losing seasons in a row and hasn't won a road opener since they have returned but the vets on the Eagles aren't happy about the move.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/09/some-eagles-veterans-disagree-with-decision-to-dump-bradford-for-wentz/

Some Eagles veterans have concerns about decision to dump Bradford for Wentz

Last Saturday’s surprising two-in-one decision by the Eagles to trade starting quarterback Sam Bradford to the Vikings and to make rookieCarson Wentz the new starter raises an obvious question: Will veteran players be concerned about the perception that the franchise has decided on a path that makes the Eagles less competitive in 2016?

... former Eagles running back Brian Westbrook addressed that issue.

... You just wonder, ‘OK, what are we doing here?’

... if I’m on this football team here in Philadelphia right now and I’m a veteran I’m saying, ‘Well, hold on, timeout. We’re building for the future but that future does not necessarily include me and I have a problem with that.’ It’s good for the organization but not necessarily good for those veteran guys 

... the question of whether he knows that guys on the team feel the way 

... “Definitely,” Westbrook said. “There’s no doubt about it and I’ve talked to a few guys that have expressed that.

...  Unfortunately for some of the older players, some of the veteran players, that doesn’t necessarily mesh with what your goal is as far as winning right now.”

Honestly, that story about the vets seems dumb.  How many vets on this team thought they were going anywhere and how many do the Eagles even care about?

Peters is the only guy I could really see being surprised and/or upset about it and he's at the end of the line anyway.  Barwin, Jenkins and Celek are other key pieces who are older, but they have always been great team guys and it would be shocking to me if they were that upset about it.  There have never been many stories about any players loving Bradford.

Weird story for this particular team.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Carson Wentz will not have any limitations on Sunday.
There was some thought the Eagles might use kid gloves with Wentz, who was limited to 38 preseason snaps after suffering a fractured rib. Instead, he'll have the full playbook at his disposal. While Wentz offers some appeal as a cheap streaming option in DFS, the Eagles will probably hammer the run against Cleveland's pitiful defense. If the Eagles run away with this game as many expect, Wentz will probably spend most of the afternoon handing off to Ryan Mathews.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter 
Sep 11 - 8:57 AM

Hmnnn.

---------------

Mike GarafoloVerified account‏@MikeGarafolo

Mike Garafolo Retweeted Ian Rapoport

None. Zero. I know, hard to believe. But they're taking their shots today and believe he's gonna connect.

Mike Garafolo added,

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

Interesting. @MikeGarafolo says #Eagles QB Carson Wentz won’t have limitations playbook-wise today. Sounds like he got after the mental part

--------------------

He's got zero limitations and he's 'GONNA connect'?

Maybe at some point in his rookie season Twitter can thump its chest about 'zero limitations' and crow about how he's 'GONNA connect' but pump the breaks a bit on the hyperbole with the kid's first NFL start.

He is coming from North Dakota and has only begun working with the starters on Monday.  He will be swimming and he is nursing busted ribs so I doubt he's got a green light to take the edge and/or if he does the Browns are going to punish him.

Interesting that the media has made a big thing about how the Browns don't view Wentz as a top-20 QB but didn't mention that the Eagles didn't even bother to offer Hue Jackson an interview for their HC position.  

Wentz had had much more run with the first team than just  Monday... believe that. He's been given reps with the ones all throughout camp.

Users who are viewing this thread