What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (2 Viewers)

Stern absolutely moved the NBA forward - and he deserves all those accolades - but it's taken the leadership of Silver to make it truly, truly sh***y to watch.

NREC34 said:
Sam Wyche

they are coming fast and furious this year 

maybe it’s another ‘16
Loved Sam Wyche.  I moved to Cincinnati back in 1986, I lived there for 8 years and became a Bengals fan mostly because of the Sam Wyche era Bengals.  

Loved Sam Wyche.  I moved to Cincinnati back in 1986, I lived there for 8 years and became a Bengals fan mostly because of the Sam Wyche era Bengals.  
I’ll never forget the day his team beat my oilers 61-7. Mainly because I was watching with my 2 brothers and dad, all of whom were bengals fans. 

I was at the game where Sam Wyche got on the microphone and gave his famous "you don't live in Cleveland" speech.  It was a crazy game.  First of all, it was freezing.  I remember being a kid and wearing about 10 layers of clothes.  And still being frozen.  Steve Largent caught his 100th TD pass (which I think was a record at the time) during that game.  And I also remember Boomer throwing a TD pass and when the WR caught it, it began to snow like confetti.  But then the ref came on to announce a penalty and the snow immediately stopped.  Everyone in the section was sure God was a Bengals fan.  I'm guessing they probably don't think that anymore.

But the craziest part was, when Wyche started talking, no one knew who was talking.  Everyone was just kind of looking around confused thinking it was the Public Address announcer.  Then he dropped the "Cleveland" line and the entire stadium went nuts.  I had literally just moved to Cincinnati about 5 months prior and had no clue about the rivalry between the cities.  So the whole thing was kind of lost on me in the moment.  

On the ride home, I remember my friend's dad putting on talk radio and that's when we all learned it was Wyche who was talking.  

I was never a Bengals fan, but Wyche was one of my favorite coaches.  Sad to hear of his passing.

Buck Henry, 89
Big fan of his work. I appreciate how he seemed to keep the show a little off-kilter whenever he was on, and I think live TV could use a little more of that.

I've told this story here before, but it bears repeating on this occasion.  About 15 years ago, I needed some extra money so I started working at the new IKEA store that was being built near my house. In the office, one of the managers had a picture of the store's founder, Ingvar Kamprad, on his desk. The first time I saw it, I asked the manager why he had a picture of Buck Henry on his desk. He gave me one of these  :mellow: ,

Thanks for the laughs, Buck.

Buck Henry, 89
THE comedy writer. His uncredited work is more vast and excellent than that for which he's famous. The greatest compliment that can be paid to him is that the most sought-after advice of all time on any theatrical or cinematic piece was Mike Nichols'. Mike Nichols sought the advice of Buck Henry. For over 60 years, the best beats and most elegant perversions. The Funny is crying today. RIP -

Neil Peart?

"Neil is the most air-drummed-to drummer of all time,” former Police drummer Stewart Copeland told Rolling Stone in 2015. “Neil pushes that band, which has a lot of musicality, a lot of ideas crammed into every eight bars — but he keeps the throb, which is the important thing. And he can do that while doing all kinds of cool ####.”

RIP Neil.

One of the top 5 influential drummers in my early days of learning, and still to this day. My oldest son is a drummer and learned YYZ in drum lessons (well, didn't play it perfectly, of course. He was only 12 at the time. But still, just trying to play that is a feat).  So Neil influenced TWO generations of drummers in my family.

And he was a smart, thoughtful guy. Big loss today for Rush fans for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread