What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Atlanta weekend trip (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
Heading to Atlanta for the weekend with the family (3 kids under 10) and looking for some suggestions, especially family friendly restaurants. I've heard The Varsity is a must, but open to other ideas.

Any help is appreciated.

The aquarium is awesome. Mary Mac's is a great southern/comfort restaurant. Centennial and Piedmont Park are good for wasting time or picnic or whatever.

TBH, The Varsity is pretty disgusting. I think "Snow Mountain" at Stone Mountain Park is still going on. The aquarium is pretty fun. I've heard the Auburn Ave market is good, plus there may be some educational Black History month stuff going on down there (It's right by MLK's church).

Definitely do the aquarium. World of coke is next door, my kids enjoyed that as well. CNN is there. Theres a kids museum across the street and a big ferris wheel across the park. Could also walk a block away and go to the top of the hotel to see everything. Could spend a whole day at centennial and have fun with little ones.

As for snow mountain, i think you should skip the snow but definitely hike stone mountain. Way less money, good exercise and very enjoyable hike.

Only reason for varsity is to people watch. Youre not missing much.

Theres a top golf downtown now, those are fun.

Otherwise look at fox theater or phillips arena for any events.

The Varsity is the worst recommendation that anyone has ever given anyone. I have no idea why there are dumb ### blogs out there that say it is a must do.

ETA: Seconding the other recs. Aquarium + World of Coke is a good afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Varsity isn't as bad as it's made here. It's a hot dog stand though so it is what it is. Great 50s era dive vibe but make sure you go to the original one if you go.

I also like the silver skillet for a little slice of that. But it's strange. You walk through the kitchen to use the bathroom so might be dicey with kids. Breakfast place

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the even let him in the Vortex with 3 kids under 10?
I think they will during the day, but it still has pics of naked chicks on the wall and smoke everywhere. Little 5 points isn't really a place for kids.

Aquarium

World of Coke

College Football Hall of Fame

Ferris Wheel if they can handle the heights (this is kinda pricy for what it is)

CNN center is kinda cool for a walkthrough

Fernbank is a good museum

For eats:

I'd pass on the varsity - it's just fast food. Maybe the kids would like it.

I'd go to somewhere like yeah burger personally.

Aquarium and Vortex are good recs.

I think you can Skip the World of Coke and not miss a thing, but I appear to be in the minority there.

The aquarium, Coke and CNN, in that order of my preference, would fill a day or more easily and all be worth your while. And really I enjoyed CNN a bit more than Coke, but Coke and the aquarium get points for proximity.

Also, not sure when you're going, but if April or later, the downtown baseball stadium will be in its last season. A lot of people denigrate it but I like it and am sad it's being abandoned. Note: night games with youngsters are not necessarily a great idea (which is part of the stated reason the Braves are moving).

AhrnCityPahnder said:
Aquarium and Vortex are good recs.

I think you can Skip the World of Coke and not miss a thing, but I appear to be in the minority there.
Agree, just one big Coke ad.

Vortex cards even at lunch - I was just there 2 days ago so DO NOT plan to take kids. The food is good (for burgers) but the 2 foot tall wooden penis scares some folks away.

Varsity is WAY overrated but it's not that bad and is neat to go to once - just don't have huge expectations. Kids will probably like it. And get a fried peach pie.

College Football HOF is fun.

Another burger place that's pretty good is Flip Burger.

Looking for some ATL traffic advice.

How bad is traffic away from downtown towards the airport on a weekday morning? What are the worst times?

What time would one need to leave Turner Field in order to safely be to airport by 8:30am? 

I'm aware of the marta option, but will likely have a car.

Looking for some ATL traffic advice.

How bad is traffic away from downtown towards the airport on a weekday morning? What are the worst times?

What time would one need to leave Turner Field in order to safely be to airport by 8:30am?

I'm aware of the marta option, but will likely have a car.
Depends on the morning, but likely to be pretty easy.  Most of the traffic will be inbound to the city, and north of I-20.  I'd guess 30 minutes would be plenty of time.

Users who are viewing this thread