Sinn Fein

***Official Supreme Court nomination thread: Kavanaugh

2,887 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TobiasFunke said:

Yup this is silly.  Obviously you're gonna need additional resources because of Kavanaugh's long history as a prosecutor and with the Starr investigation, but those resources should be found elsewhere.  Fund the office that usually does this work instead of borrowing crim attorneys. 

FWIW the former prosecutor/congressional candidate they quote there is running as a Dem, so this obviously isn't a partisan issue.

Isn't it more likely that this is due to pressure from Republicans to expedite the process rather than Dems trying to find dirt?

8 minutes ago, Sand said:

No pearl clutching, just noting something unusual.

:lmao: at volunteers.  

Here’s a good thread on this. 

1 person likes this

Just now, thecatch said:

Here’s a good thread on this. 

I'll catch that tonight.  My work hates the twitterverse.

1 hour ago, Tiny Dancer said:

Isn't it more likely that this is due to pressure from Republicans to expedite the process rather than Dems trying to find dirt?

Probably, it's a pretty standard request for every shred of paper and obviously Kavanaugh's got more than most.

I sat in on Senate Judiciary’s meeting this morning.  (LOOK AT ME!  I have free time and didn’t check to see if DC is humid AF in July!)

I didn’t quite follow everything that was going on - the acoustics weren’t great from my back corner seat - but one of the objections that seemed to be raised by the Dems was an apparent plan to have Kavanaugh’s work summarized in a report rather than give Judiciary Dems access to all the documents on Kavanaugh and let them do their own research.  I might not have heard that right.  

Also, there was preemptive objections to the expectation that Kavanaugh and his supporters might be able to suppress some unflattering emails and such, citing executive privilege from the time Kavanaugh worked in the White House.  It was brought up a few times than Kagan disclosed everything, a standard they don’t expect Kavanaugh to live up to.

What else?... Grassley opened with a long statement about how the “McConnell rule” didn’t apply to Kavanaugh and the Mueller investigation shouldn’t be a factor in Kavanaugh’s nomination because the President isn’t being investigated in that and Clinton nominated SCOTUS justices while under investigation so get bent.  

Some other discussion about Kavanaugh’s writings about expansion of executive powers.  Apparently Kavanaugh has taken the position on paper that the President has the power to not enforce a law he thinks is unconstitutional.  (I didn’t catch what source was cited, but both sides seemed to agree such writing existed)

Booker talked about the recent confirmation of a person (didn’t catch his name) to a high position in DOJ without having tried a case before and having ties to Alfa Bank, which is known to be run by Russian oligarchs.  Was wondering aloud why were we even bothering to put candidates through a confirmation vetting and hearings if the Republicans are just going to rubber-stamp everyone Trump nominates.  

19 minutes ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

Booker talked about the recent confirmation of a person (didn’t catch his name) to a high position in DOJ without having tried a case before and having ties to Alfa Bank, which is known to be run by Russian oligarchs.  Was wondering aloud why were we even bothering to put candidates through a confirmation vetting and hearings if the Republicans are just going to rubber-stamp everyone Trump nominates.  

Guessing it's Brian Benczkowski. In any other time in our history this would be a huge potential scandal given his Russian connections.

Barely caused a ripple in the news cycle. 

Based on the congressional oversight hearings today, Kavanaugh should not be confirmed because he is biased and therefore cannot function as part of the judicial system.

1 person likes this