What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** Rams lawsuit thread, 11/24/21 St. Louis settles for a lousy 790 Million (1 Viewer)

Received an email from the LA Rams today announcing that single game tickets are on sale. I can't wait to get Kroenke money. 

FiredMartz said:
what goes around,comes around...
When Enos the Penis and the rest of the NFL settles for nine figures with the city of St. Louis to avoid airing their dirty scheme in an open courtroom, I'll agree with this statement.

Can't wait to see Fisher on the stand. The guy admitted he knew the team was moving when they hired him. And then, shortly after moving, they fired him. Think he might want to air out some dirty laundry?

Judge denies arbitration appeal in Rams lawsuit

An order issued Tuesday by a Missouri Court of Appeals Eastern District judge affirmed an earlier decision by St. Louis Circuit Court Judge Chris McGraugh denying the Rams and owner Stan Kroenke’s request to force claims made over the team’s relocation to arbitration.

St. Louis officials sued the Los Angeles Rams and the National Football League, its teams and owners in April 2017 over the teams move to Los Angeles in 2016. The lawsuit was filed by the St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority (RSA), the city of St. Louis and St. Louis County.

Missouri Court of Appeals Judge Philip Hess affirmed the trial court’s denial of appellants’ motion for arbitration, concluding that the parties in the lawsuit did not enter into an arbitration agreement that applies to the plaintiffs’ claims. 

The plaintiffs’ lawsuit alleges breach of contract, unjust enrichment, fraudulent misrepresentation and tortious interference (except against the Rams). 

Kroenke and the Rams’ motion to compel arbitration was filed last year by attorney Robert Haar of St. Louis-based Haar & Woods LLP and Chicago-based Kirkland & Ellis LLP.

The RSA, the city and St. Louis County are being represented by Clayton law firm Blitz, Bardgett & Deutsch LC in the case. The NFL is represented in the lawsuit by Jerry Carmody of Carmody MacDonald PC in Clayton and John Hall of Covington & Burling LLP in Washington, D.C.

In November 2017, the Missouri Supreme Court ruled in a separate case that a dispute over whether the Rams can buy their former St. Louis practice facility for $1 must be decided in arbitration.

It's a deal: Rams settle PSL lawsuit

A settlement has been reached in a class-action suit filed on behalf of PSL owners during the Rams’ 21-season stay in St. Louis.

Monday’s filing in U.S. District Court in St. Louis simply notifies the court of a settlement agreement with the Rams. It includes no details of the settlement, but such details could be filed with the court within a week.

Three separate lawsuits were filed on behalf of PSL holders against the Rams within weeks of the January 2016 relocation vote by NFL owners, approving the move of the Rams to Los Angeles. The PSLs, or personal seat licenses, were a one-time fee giving purchasers the right to buy season tickets.

The three suits were subsequently combined into one: McAllister v. St. Louis Rams.

Rams PSL federal case, filing from Monday

The original PSLs were good for 30 seasons, coinciding with the 30-year length of the stadium lease at what was once called the Edward Jones Dome. As such, they would be good through the 2024 season, but then the Rams moved to LA after 21 seasons in St. Louis.

The suit sought a refund for the unused nine years worth of the seat license fee plus damages, and in some cases the chance to buy Rams season tickets in Los Angeles. Citing a Forbes article, the suit said the average price of the original 46,000 licenses was $2,085 per ticket for a total of about $96 million.

The case itself involves more than 20,000 ticket accounts.

As the Post-Dispatch reported in September, court documents show that settlement negotiations have been going on since July.

Even with the settlement of the PSL case, three lawsuits involving the Rams’ departure from St. Louis remain:

• The relocation lawsuit — the biggest suit — which basically challenges the way the Rams, the NFL and owners of 31 NFL teams went about the business of relocating the team from St. Louis to Los Angeles.

• A suit over future ownership of the former team practice facility in Earth City, known as Rams Park.

• A case representing fans who bought tickets and team merchandise in the final years of the Rams’ time in St. Louis.
Looking forward to learning how much we get. :thumbup:

Enjoy your  $ 700 windfall....please go to LaClede's Landing and spend it at Show Me's or Sundeckers.......

I just spent $ 30,000 on 4 SSL's at new LOS ANGELES RAMS Stadium !

Goooooo Rams !    We love you Stan !!!!
And five years after the stadium opens, the team won't draw 30K people per game. Enjoy. Stan's track record as an owner does not bode well for the fickle SoCal fans. This current success will not last and the fan base will get bored. 

Enjoy your  $ 700 windfall....please go to LaClede's Landing and spend it at Show Me's or Sundeckers.......

Please post again when the Rams are 2-9 in late November. TIA

I'm going to use the money to build a replica Arch in my back yard.

Did you buy St. Louis Rams gear before the team moved to L.A.? Judge approves class action suit

The Los Angeles Rams just lost another skirmish in the team’s multiple legal battles.

This time, a St. Louis judge approved a class-action lawsuit aiming to get money back to fans who bought tickets and merchandise since 2010, and got stuck with jerseys, T-shirts and other paraphernalia for a team that left St. Louis.

St. Louis residents James Pudlowski, Louis C. Cross, III, Gail Henry and Steve Henry filed suit in 2016, alleging the Rams purposefully misled fans who may not have otherwise purchased tickets or merchandise, or paid so much for them.

On Wednesday, Judge Timothy Boyer ruled that the suit could proceed as a class action, a move the Rams had fought for more than two years. Boyer appointed St. Louis attorney Steven Stolze as class counsel. Missouri residents who bought merchandise in the state between April 21, 2010, and Jan. 4, 2016, can now participate in the suit.

“I am very pleased,” said Thayer Weaver, one of the case’s attorneys. “I’m hopeful that the citizens of St. Louis can one day start the healing process...”

Rams representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The case, Pudlowski, et al. v. The St. Louis Rams, is one of at least four lawsuits filed against the Rams after the team left for L.A.

One, a class-action suit on behalf of thousands of personal seat license holders, settled in December for $24 million. Another, on the ownership of Rams’ former practice facility in Earth City, is headed to arbitration. 

The last and largest of the four alleges the Rams and the NFL purposefully misled and defrauded the region, among other claims, as the team prepared to move from St. Louis to Los Angeles.
I'm not sure how someone is going to prove they bought Rams merch but :thumbup:

Did that lawsuit that Saints fans submitted for getting screwed out of the Superbowl go anywhere?  I mean, as long as we're talking about Rams related lawsuits

I root for the Bear & Bills and everyone else to lose.  Especially the NFL.  Hope there isn't another publicly funded stadium ever.
Publicly-funded stadiums, the more studies they commission finding out about the rip-offs they are, make my skin crawl. 

Billionaire welfare. 

eta* Except for Green Bay, who owns the team...that's sui generis. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Publicly-funded stadiums, the more studies they commission finding out about the rip-offs they are, make my skin crawl. 

Billionaire welfare. 

eta* Except for Green Bay, who owns the team...that's sui generis. 
It's brutal how much corporations and professional sports teams steal from the taxpayer.

It's brutal how much corporations and professional sports teams steal from the taxpayer.
My problem isn't so much the machinations (well, I have a slight problem with that, but allow for civic pride and economic spending like Rousseau does in his constitutions) it's that the ROI isn't good, either. It's taxation without any return so that billionaires can rake in cash hand over fist. And then leave when they get a sweetheart deal somewhere else.  

Something about it strikes me as immoral.

That said, the Rams, as pointed out, were L.A.'s team back when. St. Louis had the Cardinals who left...

I dunno. It's all ugly St. Louis Bob. I know how you feel. I'm a lifelong Whaler fan that hasn't recovered hockey-wise, either. I always write about it ad nauseum in the hockey thread. But it's true. It was a childhood delight, and they're gone.

So I can see missing the Rams.

That is all.

My problem isn't so much the machinations (well, I have a slight problem with that, but allow for civic pride and economic spending like Rousseau does in his constitutions) it's that the ROI isn't good, either. It's taxation without any return so that billionaires can rake in cash hand over fist. And then leave when they get a sweetheart deal somewhere else.  

Something about it strikes me as immoral.

That said, the Rams, as pointed out, were L.A.'s team back when. St. Louis had the Cardinals who left...

I dunno. It's all ugly St. Louis Bob. I know how you feel. I'm a lifelong Whaler fan that hasn't recovered hockey-wise, either. I always write about it ad nauseum in the hockey thread. But it's true. It was a childhood delight, and they're gone.

So I can see missing the Rams.

That is all.
Yep and it was STL's "fault", I guess, for not building the football Cardinals a stadium. My Dad, Grandfather, uncles were all season ticket holders for a long time and I went to almost every game from 81-87.  Halcyon days my friend. 

People in STL are bitter because, particularly season ticket  holders like myself, because they sabotaged the game day experience to make it miserable to go to games.  The last 3 years or so there would be 1-2 concession stands on the entire side of the concourse when there used to be 30.  Demoff is on tape saying thankfully they didn't make it into the playoffs the last year which explains some bizarre play calling and keeping Gurley on the bench.   All of this while acting as if there could be some sort of amicable solution and wasting millions in tax payer dollars on stadium plans, votes etc.  You want to go to LA, go to LA.  Be up front about it. Don't be freaking liars and then, oh yeah,  spit on the city when you leave.  This is the problem and why they have been settling cases.  They're dead and they know it.

They're dead and they know it.
Yeah, I've been following this thread and the decisions because I remember that time period and some of the stuff seemed awfully weird. And where they played was a cavern with weird markings on the field and lousy upkeep, it seemed at the time. I remember because Brandon Lloyd was on my fantasy teams during that era and it looked like a miserable fan experience. Anyway, it sounds ugly and I hope you get your just desserts (in a good way).  

Rams suffer relocation lawsuit setback, SCOTUS unlikely to hear case

The Los Angeles Rams and the NFL have gone to great lengths in an attempt to avoid the public hearing details of a lawsuit stemming from the team’s relocation from St. Louis back in 2016.

The two sides previously appealed a Missouri Supreme Court decision that concluded settlement negotiations between the team and plaintiffs would be heard in a St. Louis courtroom rather than privately through arbitration.

Unfortunately for the league and the team, a ruling to deny a stay in the case by the United States Supreme Court on Tuesday makes it clear that the public will soon find out the details. Said ruling also likely confirms that SCOTUS will not hear the case.

New from the STL/STL Cty/RSA lawsuit vs. NFL/Rams. Kroenke/Rams lost in MO Supreme Court in pleading for case to be settled in arbitration. Appealed to US Supreme court-asked for a stay to delay case. Stay request rejected today, with belief that SCOTUS won't hear Kroenke appeal

— Randy Karraker (@RandyKarraker) October 8, 2019

It’s more than likely that said ruling was under the guise of collective bargaining. The suit alleges breach of contract and includes the league’s 31 other teams as well as the Rams.

The land’s biggest court has in the past sided with collective bargaining between unions and companies rather than hear cases of internal strife.

If that’s the case, plaintiffs have a right for the case to be heard in a court of law rather than privately in arbitration.

What does this all mean? Short of the two sides coming to terms on a financial agreement, Rams owner Stan Kroenke and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will likely have to take to the stand.

The league certainly doesn’t want the private dealing of said relocation made public record. This could lead to a financial windfall for the plaintiffs.
:popcorn:

Big win for St. Louis today as reported by local espn guy Randy Karraker

STL has the ability to investigate net worth of NFL, Goodell, Kroenke, Jones, Kraft, Mara, Richardson. They have 10 days to ask for right to investigate other owners.
The order is sealed, but it seems the judge has allowed the City to take discovery regarding the NFL finances and personal finances of 6 of the most powerful men in American sports in order to present its case for punitive damages later this year.  This is potentially some massive leverage in this lawsuit. Karraker reported several other interesting facts from the hearing today.

https://twitter.com/RandyKarraker

The order is sealed, but it seems the judge has allowed the City to take discovery regarding the NFL finances and personal finances of 6 of the most powerful men in American sports in order to present its case for punitive damages later this year.  This is potentially some massive leverage in this lawsuit. Karraker reported several other interesting facts from the hearing today.

Great news indeed.  STL might get so much money we can buy a better city, like Austin, TX and we can all move there.

This ruling was upheld on appeal today by the Missouri Supreme Court. Fines of $1,000 per day start after 5 days for any party who fails to turn over financial information. Context - St. Louis is alleging collusion by NFL owners and it’s claim includes s count for punitive damages.  One element of proof at trial on punitive damages is the defendants’ financial wherewithal. Therefore, these men are all required to turn over what they undoubtedly consider to be sensitive financial information. 

NFL, Rams Could Face $1 Billion Settlement in St. Louis Relocation Lawsuit

If there isn't a settlement, the NFL and LA Rams owner Stan Kroenke will face a jury trial that could be even costlier

Michael Allio/Icon Sportswire via Getty

By Evan Bleier @itishowitis

Following a Missouri judge’s decision to deny the NFL’s motion for summary judgment in a 2017 antitrust lawsuit related to the Rams moving from St. Louis to Los Angeles a year earlier, the league, franchise and team owner Stan Kroenke may be looking to settle the case out of court before it goes to trial.

But the cost to settle the suit, which alleges the Rams move St. Louis to L.A. was a breach of contract, fraud, illegal enrichment and interference in business that caused significant public financial loss, could be very, very pricey.

With a pre-trial hearing scheduled for Friday and a trial date set for January 2022, it may make sense for the plaintiffs to settle ahead of the trial, and sports attorney Daniel Wallach told Front Office Sports a $1 billion figure could be a “starting point” for the settlement, warning there may be “major damages” if a St. Louis jury rules against Kroenke and the NFL.

How major?

“The plaintiffs claim the city, county, and state have lost more than $100 million in hotel, property tax, sales tax, and ticket tax revenues since the Rams left town,” according to FOS. “If the judge allows the jury to consider the valuation increase along with the $550 million relocation fee, punitive damages — which multiply damages as a deterrent — could surpass $10 billion.”

If those figures are close to accurate, settling out of the courtroom for $1 billion would actually be a good deal for the NFL and Kroenke, who has seen his team increase in value from $1.45 billion in 2015 to its current Forbes valuation of $4.8 billion.

“The possibility of various rich and powerful people being forced to yield to the power of a judge and/or a jury makes a settlement even more likely,” per ProFootballTalk. “However, because the plaintiffs know this, that could make the price to settle the case ridiculously high. Either way, the NFL has a huge problem on its hands.”

Another reason for the league and Kroenke to settle is that the current January 2022 trial date would fall during the playoffs and lead-up to the Super Bowl — which is being played at the home of the Rams at SoFi Stadium in Los Angeles. With the game in L.A. and the Rams (2-0) potentially still playing at that time and maybe even in the Super Bowl itself if things break right, it would be in team’s best interest as well as the NFL’s to not have the distraction, and negative press, of a high-profile trial at the same time.

Stay tuned.

I've heard that the NFL it's a possibly the NFL would offer a team and a stadium which would be a heck of a lot cheap a 10 billion plus ruling but hope they don't take it.  We really need that money to improve schools and hire more police.  We've had a lot of good things going on in recent years but some areas of the city are a war zone. 

A trial would be must see TV but I don't see a scenario where the NFL shows their books, internal communications etc.  Too many skeletons in that closet.  Not to mention the long run where a trial could hinder them from holding up cities to pay for new stadiums.

i hope that the nfl loses at trial and has to pay a trillion bazillion dollars to st louis and then sees the error its ways and still gives st louis a new team take that to the bank brohans 

I've heard that the NFL it's a possibly the NFL would offer a team and a stadium which would be a heck of a lot cheap a 10 billion plus ruling but hope they don't take it.  We really need that money to improve schools and hire more police.  We've had a lot of good things going on in recent years but some areas of the city are a war zone. 

A trial would be must see TV but I don't see a scenario where the NFL shows their books, internal communications etc.  Too many skeletons in that closet.  Not to mention the long run where a trial could hinder them from holding up cities to pay for new stadiums.

I've read that rumor as well, but don't understand how that can possibly factor into a settlement in this case.  How can the NFL promise the city a franchise?  I get the NFL could fund a stadium, but who would own the new team?  It seems like a nonsense rumor to me.  It seems the City is sitting in the catbird seat on this, with a judge who is not hearing any of the BS from these wealthy defendants. A billion dollars is probably worth it to these guys and the NFL to avoid trial imo.

Users who are viewing this thread