What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official *** Rogue One - A Star Wars Story (1 Viewer)

I disagree Spock, this thread is exactly what I'd expect to see in the weeks following this movie release. You were probably not around back in '77 when EricDickersonFan26 and UltimatePatsGuy had that 5 page flame war about the size of an adult Tatoinian Womp Rat as compared to a standard Imperial thermal exhaust port.
:lol: :lol:

Well not to argue semantics (but I'm obviously going to) since Greedo had his gun trained on Han and intended to shoot him if he didn't comply, I'd say Han shot him first. Greedo not getting a shot off confirms that Han did indeed shoot before Greedo could. 
But that's not the context of where the phrase "Han shot first" came from. In the initial Special Edition edit, Greedo shot first but missed. A subsequent edit had them shoot simultaneously. Both edits led to the pushback of HSF. 

So, in a vacuum, HSF would make semantic sense but in context it does not.

But that's not the context of where the phrase "Han shot first" came from. In the initial Special Edition edit, Greedo shot first but missed. A subsequent edit had them shoot simultaneously. Both edits led to the pushback of HSF. 

Han shot first came about like you said due to the special edition nonsense. But it was because people remembered the original where he indeed shot his pistol before Greedo could shoot his. So it makes perfect contextual sense. If you watched ANH original copy with no knowledge of the issue, you would come away seeing that Han Solo was held up at gun point and being threatened to be shot but he was able to kill his attacker first by shooting him. :shrug: Han shot first before Greedo could shoot him. Seems easily understandable in context.

They had to kill them all otherwise it wouldn't have made sense that they weren't involved in the rebellion afterwards.
I was just shocked that the ships that were already in space didn't get away.  I wasn't shocked all the surface people got whacked after they did the same thing at the beginning of the movie.

Watching TFA now. They establish more chemistry between Finn and poe in five minutes than they do between Jyn and Cassian in the entire movie
I don't think you are wrong, but these movies have different jobs.  Force Awakens needed to set up the characters more, as we will be hanging out with these people over the next few movies.  R1 didn't have to worry about that as much as we saw what happened to all our characters.  They both had their strengths and weaknesses, but to me it tied in to what FA had to do with setting up things and rebooting our interest vs. R1 just telling it's one-off more self contained story. 

Han shot first came about like you said due to the special edition nonsense. But it was because people remembered the original where he indeed shot his pistol before Greedo could shoot his. So it makes perfect contextual sense. If you watched ANH original copy with no knowledge of the issue, you would come away seeing that Han Solo was held up at gun point and being threatened to be shot but he was able to kill his attacker first by shooting him. :shrug: Han shot first before Greedo could shoot him. Seems easily understandable in context.
Okay. I would describe it differently than "first", but I'll accept it.

I don't think you are wrong, but these movies have different jobs.  Force Awakens needed to set up the characters more, as we will be hanging out with these people over the next few movies.  R1 didn't have to worry about that as much as we saw what happened to all our characters.  They both had their strengths and weaknesses, but to me it tied in to what FA had to do with setting up things and rebooting our interest vs. R1 just telling it's one-off more self contained story. 
I agree but we barely feel anything when all the characters die. But like you said perhaps that's the point. These were basically forgotten heroes. 

Another awesome thing about Rogue One is how terrifying the Death Star becomes.

It's strange that the destruction of an entire planet is less visceral than a city, but it is.
Yes it was a different kind of terror seeing a shockwave come at you. The impending doom building up that you know you have no chance to escape. Death Star 1 (ANH), 2 and 3 it's just boom dead. There's maybe a fraction of a second where you're mind thinks "what the hell was that" but it's over so fast you never process the thought. These practice strikes and the big menacing threat looming over the horizon made the death star a feared monster again.

Just got back.

LOVED it.

Dislikes VERY minor gripes.

- A bit too much Tarkin, at least close-up wise.  They did a great job, but it was just a bit off.  They could have had more far shots or back/side views. I AGREE 

- Forest Whitaker - I like my Star Wars characters as relative unknowns.  Obviously they all have had parts before, but he stuck out for some reason.  He was the only one I saw as Forest Whitaker, not ___ _____ (whatever his name was).
I didn't even realize that was Whitaker.  I knew he was familiar (loved him in Blown Away)?, but didn't realize.  I thought Nas was Shia Labuffe (whatever his name is) for most of the movie.  I kept thinking that he was a much better now, lol.  I was tired after a soccer tournament and it was 3d.  That's my excuse anyway.

"Greedo was thinking of maybe shooting Han at some point in the near future, but Han shot first."

I like forrest whitaker, but he was probably one of the worst parts of this movie.  Not all his fault.  His character was weak.  The part where he asks if she came to kill him was pretty bad.  

Agreed.  I don't know if people are necessarily asking for romantic attachment between the two main characters, but I'm glad the film didn't go that route.  There's no reason for these characters to like one another.
Really hoping Hugh Grant and Renee Zellwegger can be in an upcoming Star Wars movie to give us the rom com Star Wars movie we have all been clamoring for.

Really hoping Hugh Grant and Renee Zellwegger can be in an upcoming Star Wars movie to give us the rom com Star Wars movie we have all been clamoring for.
Anakin: Don't be afraid.
Padme: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.
Anakin: What are you talking about?
Padme: I love you.
Anakin: You love me? I thought we had decided not to fall in love. That we'd be forced to live a lie and that it would destroy our lives.
Padme: I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway. I truly... deeply... love you and before we die I want you to know.

Anakin: Don't be afraid.
Padme: I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life.
Anakin: What are you talking about?
Padme: I love you.
Anakin: You love me? I thought we had decided not to fall in love. That we'd be forced to live a lie and that it would destroy our lives.
Padme: I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway. I truly... deeply... love you and before we die I want you to know.
Yeah it happened already.  

And was awful

Proof that A New Hope is better than Rogue One:

Nothing since the weekend of Rogue's release provoked three full pages of posts in a single day until someone decided to revisit "Han Shot First." 

I like forrest whitaker, but he was probably one of the worst parts of this movie.  Not all his fault.  His character was weak.  The part where he asks if she came to kill him was pretty bad.  
Probably the worst part of the movie for me was Whitaker's hair. I'm not saying it ruins the movie, but was very distracting and ultimately disappointing given the potential.

Probably the worst part of the movie for me was Whitaker's hair. I'm not saying it ruins the movie, but was very distracting and ultimately disappointing given the potential.
He was actually bald in the original shoot but I'm assuming grew his hair before the reshoots

No matter how much this thread tries to convince me otherwise, I enjoyed it very much.  It's hard to reconcile with all they hype but it was a fun ride with awesome action, huge sets, and great effects.  Pretty sure the writers expected us to know enough to be able to fill in the blanks of the story pieces that weren't spelled out.  
:waveshandinfrontofyourface: .........You didn't enjoy this movie very much......

2 Fighters per transport. There was about 30 transports to get out of there. They didn't worry about the ground assault because their aim was escape. They needed the xwings to defend the transports in space.
if they didn't care about attacking / slowing the AT-ATs, why did they bother sending T-47 snowspeeders to die?~!~!@!~?

Poor Dak. I bet if he knew how incompetent the rebel leaders were he wouldn't have joined the rebellion.

PLOT HOLE!~@!~@

They prolly made improvements to the AT-ATs once they saw how susceptible they were to air attacks.  
THIS I could see. Makes a lot of sense, when you really think about it. Those leg joints looked super weak in R1.

I also think the rebels might have been a little cocky. They ####ed #### up in R1 with a minimal force. I think they might have been trying to challenge themselves with the whole harpoon gun shtick.

- Forest Whitaker - I like my Star Wars characters as relative unknowns.  Obviously they all have had parts before, but he stuck out for some reason.  He was the only one I saw as Forest Whitaker, not ___ _____ (whatever his name was).
I didn't even realize that was Whitaker.  I knew he was familiar (loved him in Blown Away)?, but didn't realize.  I thought Nas was Shia Labuffe (whatever his name is) for most of the movie.  I kept thinking that he was a much better now, lol.  I was tired after a soccer tournament and it was 3d.  That's my excuse anyway.
I couldn't not see Forest Whitaker the entire time he was on screen. Felt like I was watching Battlefield Earth again.

2 Fighters per transport. There was about 30 transports to get out of there. They didn't worry about the ground assault because their aim was escape. They needed the xwings to defend the transports in space.
Exactly... even if they defeated all of the at ats with their x wings their base was found and they could have been bombarded into oblivion unless they escaped. The snowspeeders were meant to delay to get everyone out not win.

I loved it.  I think it edges out A New Hope in 2nd place after Empire.  It feels like it was made for me: A movie made for the now-adults who were (and remain) huge fans upon seeing the original theatrical releases 34-40 years ago.  If this is how these stand-alone Star Wars stories are going to go, I hope they get churned out routinely and are more adult, more dark with their focus market being the old fans like me.

One of the reasons I rate this movie so high because its rewatchability is excellent.  I loved The Force Awakens the first time I saw it, but it hasn't held up well upon additional viewings.  I suspect that's because Episodes 8 and 9 need to tie up many loose ends so I'm withholding final judgment, but right now it's a flaw that Rogue One doesn't suffer.  Rogue One is actually better the 2nd time watching it as the first two acts don't drag as long as they did upon the first viewing, knowing where the plot is going.  And the third act is arguably the best in the 8 movies, up there with the Endor/Space/Emperor's Chamber battle in Jedi.

Users who are viewing this thread