What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (13 Viewers)

Starting Whole 30 with Mrs. O tomorrow. If I make this happen — and I will — I’m going to be a fit and handsome SOB in 30 days. Stay tuned. 

I’ve dropped 7 pounds since the beginning of the year just by not drinking beer. I did start adding more cardio when I’m in the gym as well but pretty amazed how much I’ve dropped minus the beer. Have cut down on my alcohol consumption as well and when I’m drinking it is now vodka sodas. I f’ng love beer though but heading to Cabo in two months for a work reward trip and want to be in good shape.

Starting Whole 30 with Mrs. O tomorrow. If I make this happen — and I will — I’m going to be a fit and handsome SOB in 30 days. Stay tuned. 
Still not sure why you dont just do intermittent fasting.  Lean gains would fit your lifestyle imo.  

Quick description of whole 30 so we have on record what Otis is doing.  
Similar to Paleo. 30 days of avoiding inflammatory foods. No wheat, rice, alcohol, dairy, or legumes (beans). Also no vegetable oils. 

Focused on veggies, protein, nuts and seeds, good fats like avocado, oils like coconut, olive. Minimal fruit as well. 

Goal is to reduce sugar and to improve metabolism, improve insulin sensitivity, reduce bloat, improve gut health. 

Whole30 is great but does require a lot of prep. 
Yup. Mrs. O mentioned this. I’d never be able to do it on my own, but with her fully on board and driving it, she’ll be preparing everything. So I just have to eat what she gives me, and not drink booze. 

The booze may be the hardest part, we drink a ton, but I bet I’ll lose 10lbs this month from cutting booze alone. Wouldn’t be surprised to drop 15lbs in the month really. 

Starting right at 240. :porked:  

Skimming, I read this as "Starting whole 30 minutes with Mrs. O tomorrow".

Was about to say, a 28 minute jump in stamina is ambitious to go for right at the start.

Seriously though, good luck.  

I think it's time you guys start up a new contest. All of November and December was time off, after all.

DAY 1

First weigh-in: 

26.3%

I ate like an animal the last two days, gave myself a nice sendoff. I’ve never actually weighed that much in my life, so I am assuming it’s off and I truly weigh a few pounds less at the moment. That said, it’s what the scale says, so there it is. 

Going down to grab my first whole30 meal. 

mr roboto said:
Similar to Paleo. 30 days of avoiding inflammatory foods. No wheat, rice, alcohol, dairy, or legumes (beans). Also no vegetable oils. 

Focused on veggies, protein, nuts and seeds, good fats like avocado, oils like coconut, olive. Minimal fruit as well. 

Goal is to reduce sugar and to improve metabolism, improve insulin sensitivity, reduce bloat, improve gut health. 
Good thing this is only for 30 days.  No sugar, grains, dairy, and alcohol sounds quite unappealing.   I'm just going to eat a little less when I decide to drop a few pounds this spring.   

DAY 1

First weigh-in: 

26.3%

I ate like an animal the last two days, gave myself a nice sendoff. I’ve never actually weighed that much in my life, so I am assuming it’s off and I truly weigh a few pounds less at the moment. That said, it’s what the scale says, so there it is. 

Going down to grab my first whole30 meal. 
Would be an interesting data point for the otis stalkers.

Otis said:
Yup. Mrs. O mentioned this. I’d never be able to do it on my own, but with her fully on board and driving it, she’ll be preparing everything. So I just have to eat what she gives me, and not drink booze. 

The booze may be the hardest part, we drink a ton, but I bet I’ll lose 10lbs this month from cutting booze alone. Wouldn’t be surprised to drop 15lbs in the month really. 

Starting right at 240. :porked:  
Should do a pink salt cleanse the day before you start.

Breakfast was some eggs, avocado and bacon. Coffee black (can’t have dairy). 

Lunch was lettuce wraps with ground chicken, avocado, a few pieces of shredded carrot and some delicious dressing that is within the rules. 

Mrs. O making carnitas for dinner. 

I’m starting to feel like this diet is really just motivation for my wife to make me fresh delicious meals all the time. That’s sort of awesome. Sign me up for the WholeForever. 

Sure would like a beer though while watching football :banned:  

DAY 2/30

Yesterday was actually pretty easy.  Mrs. O just made delicious healthy food all day, and I didn't snack and didn't drink booze.  Went to bed feeling pretty good.  A little restless early in the night, but then slept like a baby.  Woke up naturally a few minutes before my 4:50am alarm.  Good workout.  Drinking my coffee black, an it isn't bad at all really.  If you said to me "Otis, you have to do this same day 29 more times", I'd be like :shrug:

I'm thinking I'm not going to step on the scale daily.  Whole30 program encourages you not to.  It's not supposed to be about daily weight fluctuations, or weight loss at all really.  So I'll stick to plan -- maybe I'll do a weight in once a week or something, just to have some data points.

Today is my first workday, but should be pretty easy.  I have some Whole30 compliant bars I'm bringing to the office for lunches.  Mrs. O will make some great dinner I'm sure; she's also forcing me to eat breakfasts, so I'll likely have some eggs or something before I head out.

It may just be mental, but I woke up feeling like donuts and cookies are garbage I don't, and feeling like I can get by no problem without drinking.  

Onwards we march.

Last edited by a moderator:
When is your next work trip?
Gulp

That’ll be the struggle.  Nothing big on the immediate calendar.  The next big one will be a several week Asia trip in Mid-March. Basically, the timing here is good — I know I needed a full month at home to make this work, and this upcoming 4-6 weeks is about as good as my schedule gets.  So, we’re all good there. 

Mrs. O left some fried eggs and spinach and bacon out on the counter for me this morning.  OH MAN THIS IS SOOOO HARD 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Zow
I've let myself go for a long time, especially since an old sports injury to my knee kept worsening and encouraging me to be sedentary. Hit 290 lbs finally.

And then this week, got blood test results back from the doctor. He said it showed me pre-diabetic. I'm dedicating myself to getting in much better shape. (Aug 3 update: New A1C is below pre-diabetic range)

Just going to spectate the contest, but I'll take all the support I can get.

Starting point: 290 lbs

Updates:

June 28:  290 lbs
July 6:     277.4 lbs
July 10:   274.0 lbs
July 14:   270.0 lbs
July 19:   266.8 lbs
July 23:   261.7 lbs
Aug 1:     261.2 lbs
Aug 7:     254.6 lbs
Aug 13:   250.0 lbs
Aug 21:   244.8 lbs
Aug 30:   244.8 lbs
Sep 5:     244.0 lbs
Sep 11:   242.8 lbs
Sep 18:   237.0 lbs
Sep 25:   236.6 lbs
Oct 3:      235.8 lbs
Oct 17:    239.0 lbs
Oct 23:    236.6 lbs
Nov 3:     234.6 lbs
Nov 9:     230.8 lbs
Dec 1:     230.8 lbs
Dec 6:     227.2 lbs
Jan 2:      230.8 lbs
Jan 9:      228.8 lbs
Jan 15:    226.0 lbs
Jan 22:   224.8 lbs

Total weight loss:  65.2 lbs
Pretty good week overall.

:blackdot:

Big fan of the Whole30 here, almost done with my second go-round I’m no fitness freak but they help me put the brakes on when things are getting a little too out of control. I have many recipes if you need.

Also I very much enjoy the top quality pooping experiences one tends to have during these.  Big perk.

I just double checked the dates because I assumed you started with us in the first one last year. That's amazing work, especially since you started late June. keep it up :hifive:
Thanks man.  It's been great inspiration seeing there are people in here who already were achieving and maintaining changes on the order of what I'm going for. Yourself included!

Otis said:
Mrs. O left some fried eggs and spinach and bacon out on the counter for me this morning.  OH MAN THIS IS SOOOO HARD 
That's a banquet to me.

Doing a two week induction Atkins because I'm feeling impatient and need the quick jump start.  Down 5 lbs over the first week.  Hope to be down 8-10.  After that, it's eat sensibly and work hard.

WHOLE30 DAY 4 UPDATE

Woke up this morning feeling great.  Went to the gym, got out of the gym and headed to work with boundless energy.  

This is great.  Seriously.  Eating good food, feeling satiated for the most part.  Sleeping like an absolute rock; weird getting used to that given my old sleep habits.  

The biggest observation so far, which Mrs. O and I were discussing over breakfast this morning, is our realization of how stupid our old habits were.  There is no good reason for us to be sitting on the couch every night stuffing our faces with Cheeze-Itz and guzzling bottles of wine.  At this point I don't miss it one bit, and that was probably our biggest downfall in terms of our diets.  If we come out of Whole30 correcting only that one bad habit/relationship with food and alcohol, it will be a massive win.  That said, we both agreed we don't just want to go back off the rails when the 30 days ends; we might after this try and do a Whole30 light, where we loosen it up on weekends (without going overboard) and introduce alcohol again (on a far more limited basis than how we consumed it in the past, which was just abusive).

Other benefits include Mrs. O cooking me lots of awesome meals, and us saving a crapload of money on booze and eating out.  WIN

I may step on the scale on Day 7 or so, just for curiosity's sake.  But maybe I'll just decide to wait till the end of 30 days.

Back to 222.4.  If I could only continue the downward trend.  I know what to do, just need to find a way to enact it and not splurge and eat the whole bag of chips much less continue to buy any type of chips.

Weight from yesterday 221.2.

Ate too much at dinner out over the weekend.  Need to just cut the burger in half and commit to taking it home.  Got in a good workout with 5th grade basketball practice on Monday night.  Need to just keep focusing on smaller portions.

WHOLE30 DAY 4 UPDATE

Woke up this morning feeling great.  Went to the gym, got out of the gym and headed to work with boundless energy.  

This is great.  Seriously.  Eating good food, feeling satiated for the most part.  Sleeping like an absolute rock; weird getting used to that given my old sleep habits.  

The biggest observation so far, which Mrs. O and I were discussing over breakfast this morning, is our realization of how stupid our old habits were.  There is no good reason for us to be sitting on the couch every night stuffing our faces with Cheeze-Itz and guzzling bottles of wine.  At this point I don't miss it one bit, and that was probably our biggest downfall in terms of our diets.  If we come out of Whole30 correcting only that one bad habit/relationship with food and alcohol, it will be a massive win.  That said, we both agreed we don't just want to go back off the rails when the 30 days ends; we might after this try and do a Whole30 light, where we loosen it up on weekends (without going overboard) and introduce alcohol again (on a far more limited basis than how we consumed it in the past, which was just abusive).

Other benefits include Mrs. O cooking me lots of awesome meals, and us saving a crapload of money on booze and eating out.  WIN

I may step on the scale on Day 7 or so, just for curiosity's sake.  But maybe I'll just decide to wait till the end of 30 days.
My advice- don't do this. I did a Whole30 with the wife a couple months ago. She got curious and stepped on the scale, got discouraged, played more fast and loose with the rules after that and didn't lose a pound. I waited until the end and ended up losing 15 pounds. I had a lot more to lose than she did, she was just doing it to be supportive, so that's probably why she didn't lose any weight. But it definitely changed her attitude about the whole thing.

My advice- don't do this. I did a Whole30 with the wife a couple months ago. She got curious and stepped on the scale, got discouraged, played more fast and loose with the rules after that and didn't lose a pound. I waited until the end and ended up losing 15 pounds. I had a lot more to lose than she did, she was just doing it to be supportive, so that's probably why she didn't lose any weight. But it definitely changed her attitude about the whole thing.
Ok, good advice.  The program says not to, so I won't bother.  Thanks.

Arranged with the powers-that-be to change my workaday schedule from 8-5 to 9-6, for the sole purpose of having that extra hour of morning time to hit the gym (in lieu of hitting the gym from 5:30 - 6:30). This lasted exactly one day! ... I went the full nine-yards with menu planning, intermittent fasting schedule, and all that circadian rhythm BS.

Alas, the dork-nozzle I work with broke his foot - I #### you not - kicking a dog toy (I call bull####, but I'll save this comment for the annoying co-worker thread), and first-thing Monday morning morphed into "where's Mateo?!"  ... I'm talking about a co-worker who rapes donuts boxes and attends tongue-speaking sermons on Sunday.

I'm a little livid. Pray for me.

Mrs. Woz wants to try some diet program that has accountability.  As in there's somebody or some program we pay to yell at her if she strays. Any recommendations? 

Mrs. Woz wants to try some diet program that has accountability.  As in there's somebody or some program we pay to yell at her if she strays. Any recommendations? 
Do WHOLE30 together. Yell at her if she eats donuts. Profit. 

Users who are viewing this thread