What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (15 Viewers)

Nice.  I wonder if I could beat that.  I’ve been doing mine MAF, so constantly eyeing my heart rate and slowing way the F down when it starts to spike.  Curious to know what a current best 10k time would be for me.  I may give that a go one of these days...
Yeah I haven’t let myself go over 160. I was trying to keep under 150 but that just got annoying. 

I’m itching to do a hard 2k one of these days.

Going for about 1500 calories a day the next two months with a goal of losing 23.4 lbs in 8.5 weeks (including some of my post holiday chunk and water weight). It's aggressive and won't leave me room for any cheat days but I have kept my cardio up and am running further and faster than i was last time i started the diet
Down a ridiculous 7.8 lbs.  That's exactly 1/3 of my 60 day goal, with 15.6 to go in the next 7 weeks. 

Still very aggressive, but f it lets do it. 

I’ll be honest, probably the biggest limitation for me is my ### hurts after 40 minutes, though that’s improved dramatically since I got a seat cushion, and worse yet, invariably one of my legs gets pins and needles (usually my left).  It’s practically numb at 50 minutes, feels like I’m pushing with one leg at that point.  I may need to Google this and see if it’s a thing, and correctable.
Pins and needles could be a lot of things especially without knowing where the issue is exactly but one possibility is your muscles are way too tight near your it band/ pirifornis. 

Try lying flat on your back and put your right leg out 90 degrees to your left so your weight is on your left cheek and your right cheek is straight up in the air.  If you have a hypervolt or theragun use that if not use anything hard to press into the sky facing side of your ### cheek.  If you need something hard, ping righetti. It's about the only stretch that gets into that muscle and you use it a lot when running or rowing. 

Also I met with a personal trainer since you gave me rowing advice and she thought my form was good.  The two things she corrected - i was going too far forward and my arm angle was wrong. 

When going forward i was leaning way in. She told me to make sure my heels don't come up when I am coming back. That made a huge difference.  

When going back my arms were pulling back and then I'd drop them at the end of the stroke.  She said to keep the rope in one straight line going back and forth. Don't waste energy going up and down.  So when I'm all the way forward the rope is probably at belly button height and when i am fully extended back I should be pulling it the rest of the way to chest height. I was bringing it up like that but at the end of the stroke i was bringing it towards my chest but finishing with my hands down by the bottom of my ribcage. Changing it to one smooth movement helped. 

Thanks again for the tips.  

Also I met with a personal trainer since you gave me rowing advice and she thought my form was good.  The two things she corrected - i was going too far forward and my arm angle was wrong. 

When going forward i was leaning way in. She told me to make sure my heels don't come up when I am coming back. That made a huge difference.  

When going back my arms were pulling back and then I'd drop them at the end of the stroke.  She said to keep the rope in one straight line going back and forth. Don't waste energy going up and down.  So when I'm all the way forward the rope is probably at belly button height and when i am fully extended back I should be pulling it the rest of the way to chest height. I was bringing it up like that but at the end of the stroke i was bringing it towards my chest but finishing with my hands down by the bottom of my ribcage. Changing it to one smooth movement helped. 

"Thanks, ROWtis"

Day 39/100

Climbed back on board the keto train today. In an attempt to expedite ketosis, I did a solid hour of cardio, so hopefully I used up a good chunk of glycogen. 

Bank: $370

I will admit seeing Rowtis' posts in the AM has been motivating. @Otis we adding in some weight lifting next month or something? I might have to get myself some equipment. 
I went to the gym on Wednesday and lifted weights, @eaganwildcats.  So at least not every day I’ve fallen behind is a result of laziness. 

I decided to sleep in this morning and get some rest. May just make it a total rest day. Eat well, and let all the joints and muscles refresh, back with a row tomorrow. 

Awesome.  And interesting on the heels -- my heels come up when I slide all the way forward, which I've always learned is totally fine.  (That's why they build the erg the way they do, allowing the heel part to come up).

The height and position of your hands is interesting too.  I learned the "on the water" way, which I still tend to carry over to the erg.  When I'm driving, my hands are higher (pulling just to the bottom of my chest), but then when I'm sliding back towards the flywheel, my hands drop, and are just above my legs/almost grazing them.  The reason for that?  When you're on the water, that's how you control putting the oars in the water while driving, and pulling them out of the water while sliding forward (it's counter-intuitive a little -- hands up, oars in water; hands down, oars up in the air--but it makes sense when you think about the oarlocks on the side of the boat that hold the oar in place).  Of course, I don't see why it would matter to carry this technique over to dry land -- doesn't do you any good.  So her advice of keeping it on the same plane in both directions probably makes sense.  I've been meaning to raise this question on one of the Concept2 boards, just haven't gotten to it.

Good stuff.

Awesome.  And interesting on the heels -- my heels come up when I slide all the way forward, which I've always learned is totally fine.  (That's why they build the erg the way they do, allowing the heel part to come up).

The height and position of your hands is interesting too.  I learned the "on the water" way, which I still tend to carry over to the erg.  When I'm driving, my hands are higher (pulling just to the bottom of my chest), but then when I'm sliding back towards the flywheel, my hands drop, and are just above my legs/almost grazing them.  The reason for that?  When you're on the water, that's how you control putting the oars in the water while driving, and pulling them out of the water while sliding forward (it's counter-intuitive a little -- hands up, oars in water; hands down, oars up in the air--but it makes sense when you think about the oarlocks on the side of the boat that hold the oar in place).  Of course, I don't see why it would matter to carry this technique over to dry land -- doesn't do you any good.  So her advice of keeping it on the same plane in both directions probably makes sense.  I've been meaning to raise this question on one of the Concept2 boards, just haven't gotten to it.

Good stuff.
I did a little googling and it sounds like the topic of heels down is controversial for good rowers but is recommended for newbies

https://youtu.be/M6oYDu3EO6M

So don't change anything on my account.  

Regarding the line - I think that's specific to machine rowing.  The goal is to get a strong stroke so the straight line pull makes sense - imagining oar locks and how my arms would move is kind of a waste for someone at my level. But it's probably also about repetitive motions and avoiding injuries.  Doing a lot of up and down at the end of the stroke isn't necessarily dangerous but it's probably a good way for a new rower to hurt their wrists or forearms doing that hundreds or thousands of times in a workout. 

And also she's 24 and hot so maybe she's full of #### and nobody ever calls her out on it.  So don't change anything on my/her recommendation.  This is not medical or fitness advice and I am not a doctor or fitness professional.  Consult a doctor before making changes to your diet and exercise routines.  

I managed to tweak my knee last night while walking around the mall with my kid after i worked out. Didn't think it was bad, just took a step and felt a twinge like I'd hyper extended it (i hadn't). Didn't trip, didn't do anything weird side to side, my knee didn't do anything unexpected except how it felt.  I was able to walk fine but walked a little gingerly to protect it.  This morning it feels stiff and is still sore. ####.  No swelling or bruising and it doesn't hurt much but it feels like i should limp.  I guess it's a good day for a rest day and maybe get it checked out at the walk in.  

Averaged 8,000 steps/day in 2019 (got a desk job 👎, so hard to get in good steps during the day).  Set a goal of 10k steps per day in 2020.  Have averaged 11k so far 💪
Desk job here too and I have the Fit Bit thingie tracking my steps.  How are you getting your extra steps in?  Treadmill before or after work?

It's definitely a challenge for me getting the 10k in each day.

Desk job here too and I have the Fit Bit thingie tracking my steps.  How are you getting your extra steps in?  Treadmill before or after work?

once an hour - you should get up from your desk and take a 5 minute break.  Take a short walk to wherever.  Walk up a flight and down a flight if possible.

This is more than about getting steps in.   You should take a break from sitting, staring at your screen etc

I try to practice this as much as possible.   does it always happen no.

But I have an alarm on my calendar set to :55 every hour to "take a break"

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm in the same boat.  There are multiple buildings where I work connected by indoor walking bridges which helps.  I take a 15 minute walk in the morning and 15 minute walk in the afternoon to knock out some steps during the day.  Then I knock out the remaining steps on a treadmill at night.  Now, I just started all that on Monday, but so far so good.

bostonfred said:
I did a little googling and it sounds like the topic of heels down is controversial for good rowers but is recommended for newbies

https://youtu.be/M6oYDu3EO6M

So don't change anything on my account.  

Regarding the line - I think that's specific to machine rowing.  The goal is to get a strong stroke so the straight line pull makes sense - imagining oar locks and how my arms would move is kind of a waste for someone at my level. But it's probably also about repetitive motions and avoiding injuries.  Doing a lot of up and down at the end of the stroke isn't necessarily dangerous but it's probably a good way for a new rower to hurt their wrists or forearms doing that hundreds or thousands of times in a workout. 

And also she's 24 and hot so maybe she's full of #### and nobody ever calls her out on it.  So don't change anything on my/her recommendation.  This is not medical or fitness advice and I am not a doctor or fitness professional.  Consult a doctor before making changes to your diet and exercise routines.  
: :pics:

I'm cheating tonight.  Just had an awful day with work.  I broke down and poured some red wine from an opened bottle.  I ate a cookie.  I ate a slice of pizza.  My calorie count is still probably below where I should be.  I'm not going wild or off the rails.  I just needed to decompress.  I'll get back to a row in the morning and no booze (and no cookie).

The lesson here: apparently I retreat to the comforts of alcohol and comfort food to deal with stress.  It's a shame stress doesn't drive me to salad and burpees.

I'm cheating tonight.  Just had an awful day with work.  I broke down and poured some red wine from an opened bottle.  I ate a cookie.  I ate a slice of pizza.  My calorie count is still probably below where I should be.  I'm not going wild or off the rails.  I just needed to decompress.  I'll get back to a row in the morning and no booze (and no cookie).

The lesson here: apparently I retreat to the comforts of alcohol and comfort food to deal with stress.  It's a shame stress doesn't drive me to salad and burpees.
Agreed. Though I usually go for ice cream. Going to get down for a 10k tonight as long as bed time goes okay. 

Tomorrow is a new day. 

Go row for 15 minutes even. See if/how much it helps. 

Dead serious.

Go row for 15 minutes even. See if/how much it helps. 

Dead serious.
This is good advice.   I'm a cyclist and there's a lot of times where I don't want to ride for whatever reason and I just tell myself just get on the bike and ride a mile and if you're not feeling it, just turn around an go home.    And almost every time, once I get that mile in and the juices are flowing, I continue the ride.

This is good advice.   I'm a cyclist and there's a lot of times where I don't want to ride for whatever reason and I just tell myself just get on the bike and ride a mile and if you're not feeling it, just turn around an go home.    And almost every time, once I get that mile in and the juices are flowing, I continue the ride.
Yep, same thing with running. I've yet to regret getting out for a run when I didn't feel like it.

I have regretted not doing it.

With all your money, you should hire a personal trainer.    On a night like this, you call him up and he drives on over in his Mini Cooper and gets your ### on that rower.

Don't go exercise after drinking.  That's just a recipe for injury imo.

Instead let's just call this your first cheat day of the year.  A cookie is probably 200 calories.  Same with the wine.  And the exercise is probably 700ish. That's about 1100 calories. 

There's 3500 calories in a pound.  Losing a pound a week means having a 500 calorie deficit every day. 

If you were losing a pound week at your old pace, you're now gaining a little over a pound a week at today's pace. That means that one glass plus one snack wiped out a whole day earlier this week. So that sucks. 

But it also means that it only wiped out one day.  It's not the end of your diet.  And you might feel better tomorrow between a rest day and refeeding your reserves a little.  

The trick is to realize that this is a rare thing.  If you do this 3 times a week and eat great the other 4 you'll put in all that work just to break even.  And if it's rare, it sucks to waste it on a random work day and having a meh glass of wine and a cookie.  I want to enjoy my cheat day.  

So tomorrow when you get after it again you don't have to work twice as hard to catch up. Just remember that you are earning your next cheat day.  And plan for that cheat day so it's more fun.  Like going to that wedding, having a nice dinner and a couple drinks - after eating a smaller breakfast and working out earlier in the day.  That's a lot more fun than a glass of wine, a cookie and a skipped workout, but ends up being about the same calories.  

If you find yourself able to get back to eating healthy and working out again tomorrow then this is just part of Otis learning a sustainable lifestyle change where you get an occasional cheat day but they're a scarce resource that you only get to enjoy once in a while. That's a good thing. Just make sure that that's all this is.

This is universal for me with exercise. The worst part is thinking about doing it. 

Even from the little wine I drank, I woke up at 3am with a pounding headache.  That stuff is absolute poison. Amazing my body was that accustomed to it that I was drinking as much as I was every single day. Awful. 

Even from the little wine I drank, I woke up at 3am with a pounding headache.  That stuff is absolute poison. Amazing my body was that accustomed to it that I was drinking as much as I was every single day. Awful. 
Keep up the good work Rowtis.    I am still alcohol free in 2020.   I haven’t been a big drinker for years but do enjoy a bourbon or beer a couple of times a week.   

Rowtis Stats

Jan 11 Row:  10k - 41:56.7 (new PR)

January total: 75,101m

Woke up and rowed a 10k to shake off yesterday, which was just a bad day all around.  Decided not to go MAF, but rather to see what kind of time I could row if I rowed hard without concern for HR.  Of course, about 10 mins in, my Gamin crapped out on me -- it buzzed and then said "Power Save" and had a countdown.  I charged it overnight so couldn't figure out what it was; it then seemed to just reset and came back on with plenty of battery.   Maybe I just didn't press the button properly at the start of the workout -- bummer because I am REALLY curious to know what the HR chart would have looked like and what the max would have been, because I was going all out.  But I wasn't about to stop to fix it; my stupid airpod came flying out with about 10 mins to go, when I could have really used the pump of some music, but didn't stop for that either.

New PR for a 10k.  Oh and I think new thread record.  Gauntlet thrown, @eaganwildcats

ETA: my 5k time was sub 21 mins (it was like 20:45), which is also is a new PR for me.  Wanted desperately to keep a similar pace through the second 5k, which I figured would be really difficult but somehow managed to basically do, though it took all I had.  (Almost barfed at the end...)

Oh and @eaganwildcats you should get on Strava. All my rows are there, including my Garmin data (when I have it), and I take photos of the screens with each row so I can look back for more details later.  Pls a bunch of FBGs give you thumbs up which makes you feel a little better about your chubby self. 

Rowtis Stats

Woke up and rowed a 10k to shake off yesterday, which was just a bad day all around.  Decided not to go MAF, but rather to see what kind of time I could row if I rowed hard without concern for HR.  Of course, about 10 mins in, my Gamin crapped out on me -- it buzzed and then said "Power Save" and had a countdown.  I charged it overnight so couldn't figure out what it was; it then seemed to just reset and came back on with plenty of battery.   Maybe I just didn't press the button properly at the start of the workout -- bummer because I am REALLY curious to know what the HR chart would have looked like and what the max would have been, because I was going all out.  But I wasn't about to stop to fix it; my stupid airpod came flying out with about 10 mins to go, when I could have really used the pump of some music, but didn't stop for that either.

New PR for a 10k.  Oh and I think new thread record.  Gauntlet thrown, @eaganwildcats

ETA: my 5k time was sub 21 mins (it was like 20:45), which is also is a new PR for me.  Wanted desperately to keep a similar pace through the second 5k, which I figured would be really difficult but somehow managed to basically do, though it took all I had.  (Almost barfed at the end...)
Killing it. Well done - you probably need some AirPod pros. 

Perhaps I can put all this bacon I just ate to good use later. 

Killing it. Well done - you probably need some AirPod pros. 

Perhaps I can put all this bacon I just ate to good use later. 

I actually have the pros. They’re the ones that always damn fall out. I think I need one of those ones that wrap around your head for these rows. Or I guess I could try my non pros first, but I’m betting it’ll be the same. 

Rowtis Stats

Good stuff. 

Also, I'm gonna need some trademark lawyer help for Rowtis.

When I swapped to weekend only I quickly realized that you can't roll off from zero to old ways without a hangover

eoMMan said:

little things at work...try to take the stairs instead of the elevator.  If I can, take a long walk at lunch.  And then hit the treadmill or basketball after work.  And I set up a simple spreadsheet that keeps me motivated to stay on track.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AjMtzUv_etb3RHuvZMD91CliTBreMyPpQMO1nQbz-3I/edit?usp=sharing

Been doing the Noom weightloss app, it’s been lifechanging stuff for me.  Logging all my food and having a simple green/yellow/red breakdown has been a real nice accountability mechanism.  There’s also a lot of good information about caloric density, mental tips/tricks and stuff.  When I don’t log my meals for so long, I get a little push from people to get back on the wagon.  

I’ve went down a couple belt loops.  I noticed some shirts I was gonna give away to Goodwill, put away long ago when I decided I was just going to be chunky forever, fit great again.  Now I’m sending my XL shirts away (or getting my favorite ones tailored).  

For breakfast I’ll typically do a dunkin k-cup with 4 tbsp of creamer, banana for midmorning snack, either a salad/tomatoes or tuna/hot sauce/mayo/horse radish for lunch.  I pack my lunch everyday in my little fallout 3 lunchbox.  

I bought a little onion shredder to dice up onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, put them in plastic containers to go on lunches and dinners and stuff.  I usually pack a bottle of water and little 100-calorie baked chocolate wafer snackpacks from Aldi.  I’ll buy avocadoes and mix them up with dinner too.  Riced cauliflower with garlic/herb, almondmilk that’s 30cal/cup with vanilla almond cereal, chickenless strips mixed with sweet baby ray’s hickory sauce (or arrabbiatta pasta sauce), soybean spaghetti, yogurt with snickers/twix crumbles- there’s a lot of nice healthy alternatives out there. 

I literally just toss the stuff in a plastic bowl, microwave it for a minute or two, put on a sauce I like and enjoy.  On Sundays I’ll scramble a dozen eggs with vegetables and mix it with Duke’s mayo/hotsauce, throw on some everything but the bagel seasoning, make some wholegrain toast, then file the leftovers away to take to work during the week.  Ale-8-one is a yellow food, I prolly have 2 or 3 of them with dinner a week.  

The flavor is awesome, I enjoy the stuff I’m eating, and if I go over a little bit on calorie count it’s not a big deal.  I’m consuming way less than I used to.  I don’t eat just to finish my plate anymore, or out of boredom.  I’ve done virtually zero exercise aside from the regular walking I do in the course of work/life.  I still eat bad stuff from time to time- it’s stupid hard not to in this country- but I’m gonna stick to my established routine after everything.  This is a longterm shift.  

One day I stepped on the scale and said enough is enough.  I saw an ad for this thing on FB and gave the trial a shot.  My blood pressure is down in the 113/75 range, down from like 143 or so last time I read it.  I’ve lost about 30 lbs in 3 months.  I feel healthy and more inclined to get out and do stuff.  She’s starting to come around on the idea too and packing her lunch to work.  She made a cauliflower crust pizza the other day that was completely delicious.  

Sorry if this comes off like bragging but it really has changed things massively for me.  For the first time ever, it feels sustainable in a way crash diets and swimming everyday never could (though I do need to exercise more).  Hope this can help others like it helped me.

I've been really curious about Noom and almost signed up a few times.  Never pulled the trigger.  It seems interesting. 

Been doing the Noom weightloss app, it’s been lifechanging stuff for me.  Logging all my food and having a simple green/yellow/red breakdown has been a real nice accountability mechanism.  There’s also a lot of good information about caloric density, mental tips/tricks and stuff.  When I don’t log my meals for so long, I get a little push from people to get back on the wagon.  

I’ve went down a couple belt loops.  I noticed some shirts I was gonna give away to Goodwill, put away long ago when I decided I was just going to be chunky forever, fit great again.  Now I’m sending my XL shirts away (or getting my favorite ones tailored).  

For breakfast I’ll typically do a dunkin k-cup with 4 tbsp of creamer, banana for midmorning snack, either a salad/tomatoes or tuna/hot sauce/mayo/horse radish for lunch.  I pack my lunch everyday in my little fallout 3 lunchbox.  

I bought a little onion shredder to dice up onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, put them in plastic containers to go on lunches and dinners and stuff.  I usually pack a bottle of water and little 100-calorie baked chocolate wafer snackpacks from Aldi.  I’ll buy avocadoes and mix them up with dinner too.  Riced cauliflower with garlic/herb, almondmilk that’s 30cal/cup with vanilla almond cereal, chickenless strips mixed with sweet baby ray’s hickory sauce (or arrabbiatta pasta sauce), soybean spaghetti, yogurt with snickers/twix crumbles- there’s a lot of nice healthy alternatives out there. 

I literally just toss the stuff in a plastic bowl, microwave it for a minute or two, put on a sauce I like and enjoy.  On Sundays I’ll scramble a dozen eggs with vegetables and mix it with Duke’s mayo/hotsauce, throw on some everything but the bagel seasoning, make some wholegrain toast, then file the leftovers away to take to work during the week.  Ale-8-one is a yellow food, I prolly have 2 or 3 of them with dinner a week.  

The flavor is awesome, I enjoy the stuff I’m eating, and if I go over a little bit on calorie count it’s not a big deal.  I’m consuming way less than I used to.  I don’t eat just to finish my plate anymore, or out of boredom.  I’ve done virtually zero exercise aside from the regular walking I do in the course of work/life.  I still eat bad stuff from time to time- it’s stupid hard not to in this country- but I’m gonna stick to my established routine after everything.  This is a longterm shift.  

One day I stepped on the scale and said enough is enough.  I saw an ad for this thing on FB and gave the trial a shot.  My blood pressure is down in the 113/75 range, down from like 143 or so last time I read it.  I’ve lost about 30 lbs in 3 months.  I feel healthy and more inclined to get out and do stuff.  She’s starting to come around on the idea too and packing her lunch to work.  She made a cauliflower crust pizza the other day that was completely delicious.  

Sorry if this comes off like bragging but it really has changed things massively for me.  For the first time ever, it feels sustainable in a way crash diets and swimming everyday never could (though I do need to exercise more).  Hope this can help others like it helped me.
Noom, ww, mfp..... whatever it takes to work for you :)

I actually have the pros. They’re the ones that always damn fall out. I think I need one of those ones that wrap around your head for these rows. Or I guess I could try my non pros first, but I’m betting it’ll be the same. 
Huge fan of the aftershokz trekz air that I have. They are bone conduction headphones and sit outside your ears. No worry of falling out. Also when outside you can still hear ambient sounds and such add needed. 

I've been really curious about Noom and almost signed up a few times.  Never pulled the trigger.  It seems interesting. 
Definitely worked for me.  Some people find the pricing a little high which is fair too.  But the free trial sold me completely. I bought the initial 3/4 months for my gf too.  If anyone wants a referral link (where you get 20% off and I get $20) just send me a PM.  I didn’t want it to come across like I’m shilling, I really am blown away by the program.  

Rowtis Stats

Jan 11 Row: 10k - 39:27 - 172 Avg HR. Blah blah new thread record blah blah. That wrecked me though, tomorrow will be a nice n easy day.

January Total: 109,474

ETA: sweat dripping on the keyboard must have messed up the date originally. 

I wear these when I run https://www.amazon.com/AfterShokz-Titanium-Conduction-Headphones-AS600SG/dp/B018XNGQOE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=trekz+titanium+headphones&qid=1578772395&sprefix=trexz+###&sr=8-3

Never had an issue with them.

Users who are viewing this thread