What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly: Your Cars (1 Viewer)

Chadstroma

Footballguy
For me:

The Good: Loved my 2005 F-150. It never had any major issues until it's death back in 2014. Wish I had got the auto-pilot feature though.

The Bad: 1973 Ford Mustang. Partially not it's fault but it was always broken down. Also bad in the good sense of having a 351 Cleveland in it, so when it was running, it was fun to drive. Got it up to 150 once before deciding that was a bad idea.

The Ugly: 1987 Plymouth Turismo. The thing was down right ugly. Everything did not work on it but it still ran until I finally got rid of it. I am sure some girls turned me down just because of that hideous thing. :lmao:

The Good - Suppose our 2005 CRV has been the best car overall in terms of reliability and practicality, but my fondest memory is always going to be for the 1977 Pontiac Catlina (aka The Golden Canoe) I got from my grandparents at Christmas in 1988. That beast lasted me until I replaced it with:

The Bad: 1996 Sebring Convertible.  Was very nice initially, but didn't age well - the top and electrical systems both went to crap but I hung onto this car until 2008.

The Ugly: 1981 Chevy Citation. Was in high school, cruising around town with two girls when the transmission got hot, popped the emergency drain, and the draining fluid actually caught fire. Nothing ends the night like calling your mom to tell her the fire trucks just put the car out. It turned out it was just a drip of fluid burning and the car was actually fine the next day after getting it checked out, but it definitely set what little game I had back immensely. Somehow my mom chose an 84 Ford Tempo to replace it. Man we owned some ####ty cars...

The Good - My current car, 2013 Explorer Sport. Looks awesome. High performance engine that flies! Best car I ever had.

The Bad - As in Bad ###! I had two old Mercury Cougars. 1967 and 1968. 302 and 289 engine respectively. I so wanted one with a 351 Cleveland, Chad. That was my dream. It was the car I was known for in my teenage, early 20's years. With all the retro cars, I was hoping they'd come out with a Cougar. I'm hoping to get one some day again and drive around in it as an old man.

The Ugly - I think it was like a 1972 Maverick. Although the fender said Comet. I came back from a wedding and a friend said they knew someone was selling it for $20. I was living in the basement of the bass player in my band (guitarist lived on the first floor, total party house) and he had some old license plates that I used. Never registered the car. Got me through the summer before breaking down. I told a friend where it broke down and he got it running and used it for a while.

I want to see pictures of the Turismo and Maverick.  NOW!

The Good: 2006 BMW 330i with an AC Schnitzer gangster kit, loved that car.  My 1989 BMW M3 is a close second, should have found a way to keep that (was euro specs)

The Bad: 1976 Ford Fairmont which was my first car.  Oil pump blew two months after I had it, I tried to make it to the service station and grinded the barrings.  Engine got rebuilt, thing was then always having something go wrong.  One time the mechanic forgot to latch the hood and I was driving like 40 and the thing came up over the windshield.  :lmao:

The Ugly:  It was like a 1978 Datsun hatchback.  It was my first car in Italy and it was the car I first learned to drive a stick on.  I had house stereo speakers hooked up inside (they even got stolen!) and I paid $50 for it.  Drove it a year, put oil in it once.  Ugly but awesome. 

I got a 2003 F-150 with under 100k.   Need to get it waxed was it just sits there.

Traded in last year.....2003 altima, 2009 bug, for honda crv and honda civic, wanted her to get accord but wanted the small one.  Lol

Good F 150

Bad others cause I am paying on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good - 2005 Volvo V70 Turbo Wagon...current ride and a rocket sled that doubles as a wine-hauling vehicle

Bad - 1987 Toyota Corrolla (4d) from '93 to '02...rip little buddy, you no #####-getting turd

Ugly - 1978 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon...drove this in HS ('86-'87), with an AM radio and one speaker; paint peeling off the hood, and the interior head-liner falling off by the mile. my younger cousin hot-wired it in the summer of '87 and took it out w/ his buddies to a kegger in the local fig orchard....got it stuck on the RR tracks as the local Santa Fe freight train came upon him...barely got it off the tracks and couldn't get it started again. had to push it three miles back to my parent's house at 4:00 am and never got caught. lucky sob.

For me:

The Good: Loved my 2005 F-150. It never had any major issues until it's death back in 2014. Wish I had got the auto-pilot feature though.

The Bad: 1973 Ford Mustang. Partially not it's fault but it was always broken down. Also bad in the good sense of having a 351 Cleveland in it, so when it was running, it was fun to drive. Got it up to 150 once before deciding that was a bad idea.

The Ugly: 1987 Plymouth Turismo. The thing was down right ugly. Everything did not work on it but it still ran until I finally got rid of it. I am sure some girls turned me down just because of that hideous thing. :lmao:
That's Dodge ####in' Charger, pal!

The good: I've had many good cars,  but gun to my head, my absolute favorite would have to be the 1980 Toyota Supra that got me through college.  Part of me wishes I would have kept it and instead of trading it in and taking on a car payment, used the same amount or less to fix up and paint the Supra, but if I had, I probably still would have had to part with it after I got married, and I wouldn't have had one of my other favorites, my '94 Chevy Cavalier.  I know it's not a sexy car, but it didn't look bad and it was as reliable as the day is long.  

The bad: 79 Chevy Malibu.  My introduction to cars that were "only" driven by an old lady to church and back.  It had sat too long, so it also had that musty old-car smell as well as being a nightmare to keep in running order.  Fortunately we were able to get rid of it pretty quickly.

The ugly: Not my car, but the car my wife owned when we got married, a late 90's Ford Festiva.  I think it was based on the Yugo. No air, no power steering, I refused to drive it. We got rid of it when we got the Malibu I mentioned above.

Also, shout-outs to my first car ever, a 1977 Ford LTD (good-ish if only for the couch-sized back seat) and my current cars, both Hyundais: a 2010 Elantra Touring wagon (forget the looks, it handles great at high speeds and has been super-reliable so far) and a 2016 Elantra GT (a  :nerd:  choice maybe, but it has some nice lines that maybe one day a custom paint job could bring out).

I'm not a car guy so I went for practical. I bought a 2007 Pontiac Vibe after much research looking for a dependable car that gets good MPG and is also good for hauling things. Being a hatchback I can haul long lumber, wheelbarrow, etc... This helped to free up my money to move to a home on a lake and travel numerous times a year, not interested in investing money on a vehicle since my only interest is getting from point A to B.

I have only invested in wearable and preventative maintenance items and it now has over 140,000 miles on it, needless to say this car will not pick up chicks but has served it's purpose 10 fold.

Maybe when I hit my midlife crisis I will buy a yellow sports car.

We owned a pacer.  Had to ride in that bad boy to school my Junior year until I went the complete opposite direction when I got my license and got a Kharmann Ghia convertible.   No dates to that point in high school....two different sets of boobs felt that weekend.   BOOM.

The Good: 1990 Civic Si Hatch white with white rims, alpine sound with the big sub in the back. Loved this car right up until my wife totaled it. 

The Bad: 1995 Chevy Cavalier...Purple

The Ugly: Wife's '78 Chrysler Cordoba when we met...probably a nice car brand new off the line but not with 100k miles and parts of the body falling off, fine American work there.  

For me:

I do have to say that I currently love my 2015 GMC Acadia. It could very well supplant my F-150 but I haven't had it long enough to really say one way or the other. Plus, I have an extra soft spot in my heart for my F-150 in that I could have died in it and didn't... I will give it that credit.

I have lived in a city where having a car isn't convenient so I haven't had a car in a while.  The only times I had a car was in school (HS and college) and briefly after college so none of my cars have been particularly good.  I had one car that was really bad.  It had a ride like being in a shopping cart getting pushed down a cobblestone street.  It could go up hills, but not without a fight.  The car didn’t actually have an engine.  What it had was a small field mouse named Roger and if he ran in his wheel fast enough I could go from 0-60 in about 21 seconds. 

Good - '69 VW beetle. Just fun to drive. Easy repairs. 

Bad - 2004 Saab 9-3. Fun to drive but it was *always* breaking down. Each repair was expensive. It was like owning a racehorse with a crack habit. I gave up after the turbo blew. 

Ugly - 1967 Chevy Impala. My first car because my grandmother died and left it to me. It got 8 miles to the gallon in the city. It was a hulking beast. 

Only bad  car I've had was an old Pontiac Grand Prix. Broke down as soon as I got it home. Thing was pretty damn ugly too. Thankfully dealership fixed it (trans solenoid) and it was reliable till I sold it to buy my Lexus gs300. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good - 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI

Bad - 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI 

It is the best car I've ever owned and the worst because VW straight up lied to my face about it. 

Ugly - Brown 1969 Honda Civic nicknamed "The Turd"

The good: '89 Chevy Cheyenne 1500. My first new vehicle. I put over 200k on that truck and it never let me down. Wish I'd never let it go. Traded it in on a wife.

The bad: '82 Pontiac 6000. What a rolling dumpster. I was so surprised when my brother gave it to me.  Not for long. The end came when the driver door actually fell off. I abandoned that piece of crap in a parking lot in Dallas in 1986. Yeah, four years old and no redeeming quality whatsoever. 

The bad, honorable mention: '97 Volkswagen Jetta. Worst example of German engineering assembled in Mexico, ever. What did NOT go wrong with that car? VW actually purchased it back from us.

The ugly: '87 Ford Bronco, aka The Beast. Drove this around the ranch for 8.5 years. It was one giant scratch and dent. Absolutely bulletproof. Kept it together with bailing wire and duct tape. Sold it to guy who wanted to restore it. It's still sitting where I dropped it off, over a year later. 

Only bad  car I've had was an old Pontiac Grand Prix. Broke down as soon as I got it home. Thing was pretty damn ugly too. Thankfully dealership fixed it (trans solenoid) and it was reliable till I sold it to buy my Lexus gs300. 
My wife had/has a Grand Prix from when I met her until now (though a younger brother of hers is using it now while we use her fathers Caddy). HATE the thing with a passion.

Users who are viewing this thread