What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you find dynasty leagues harder or easier, regarding team management? (1 Viewer)

agame2323

Footballguy
This is a slight spin-off to an earlier post but the older I get the more I'm starting to look at FF different. I still love it but I no longer desire to be in a league that requires a bunch of dedication to roster management. That said, I'm currently in a VERY complex dynasty league. We're in our 3rd season and it is enjoyable but I can't see myself sticking around. However, I'm thinking it might make sense to move to a redraft league. I don't play in many redrafts. Do you find redrafts to be more involved than dynasty's?

If you get your QB1, WR1 and WR2, and TE1 on your dynasty team I find it's much easier to manage the team than in redraft. Then you can have fun stashing the Jeff Janis/Eric Ebron types and hope to cash in someday while you leave your starting lineup intact. 

i think youre using the word 'difficult' but you mean time consuming. If that is what you mean, then yes, in general, dynasty is more time consuming in my experience

Redraft is checkers, dynasty is chess. A mistake in redraft hurts you for one season, a mistake in dynasty can haunt you for years. 

They are certainly different, but I'm not sure that you can compare them as far as difficulty due to the completely different strategies between the two. I played in redraft before joining a dynasty but I'm only in dynasty now. I just like the long term building. My experience in redraft was you had a group of guys who were very involved because it was only a few months and there were no long term repercussions if things went poorly but you still had the one or two who gave up after starting 1-5 because it was a one shot deal and they'd just try again next year. I've also seen the dynasty equivalent where someone comes in and sells the future for a quick shot at a title, then drops out because he can't compete the next few years.

it all comes down to the people in the league. They make or break it, regardless of the format. If you aren't enjoying the dynasty then go to redraft for awhile and see how you feel after a couple of seasons. You're supposed to be enjoying this.

I could argue the case for either to be harder.  Dynasty requires more time to manage your roster year round but you might have to make less moves during the season to keep your roster in good standing due to injuries.  Dynasty can be easier from the standpoint that over time the stronger owners sniff out the weaker owners and find ways to get the edge in trades allowing them to be contenders each season where in redraft you are all starting out on a more even playing field after the draft.

I could argue the case for either to be harder.  Dynasty requires more time to manage your roster year round but you might have to make less moves during the season to keep your roster in good standing due to injuries.  Dynasty can be easier from the standpoint that over time the stronger owners sniff out the weaker owners and find ways to get the edge in trades allowing them to be contenders each season where in redraft you are all starting out on a more even playing field after the draft.
this is where i would make the argument dynasty is harder to win skillfully, because there is not a ton of skill in redraft.

The difference in having a bad draft and making bad trades only maybe hurts you one season, whereas in dyno, you could set yourself back for years since you dont get a fresh shot the next season.

Unfortunately in most of my dynasty leagues there are one or two weak owners who are continually robbed and unless you are able to get in on that you are far behind the thieves.

If you want less team management try playing a best ball or total points format.

I find things like choosing the correct starters each week to be more difficult the better my team is. This isn't as difficult in redraft because I usually have fewer options to choose from in that format.

Everything that daily fantasy leagues are about is what i find least enjoyable about FF.

For me, dynasty takes significantly more time/effort/thought than redraft.

Dynasty is year-round, redraft only lasts a little longer than the NFL season. In-season management is not that different between the formats, but dynasty involves way more off-season work.

In dynasty, most roster changes require trades (which tend to involve a fair amount of thinking, discussions, and efforts which wind up not amounting to anything). In redraft, most of it comes in the draft which takes only a couple hours in its entirety. If you thought a year ago that Doug Martin was underrated, and now you think he's overrated, in dynasty acting on that would mean trying to trade for him last offseason and trying to trade him away now. In redraft, you could just choose to draft him last year and to not draft him this year.

More players are fantasy-relevant in dynasty. You have to think about what you eventually expect to see from Nelson Agholor, Jerick McKinnon, Jared Goff, Maxx Williams, etc., and make moves to fill your roster with prospects that you like. In redraft, you're mostly focused on current fantasy starters plus a few backups or guys with upside.

I find dynasty more fun than redraft, although I also enjoy draft-only best ball redraft leagues a lot (which go even farther in the direction of less time/effort).

I find that dynasty takes much more time and effort.  That's why I like it.

Heck, I even watch a few college games each year that I would not normally watch just because one of the teams has a top draft prospect.

Imo, redraft is boring, so I stopped doing them a coupe of years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately in most of my dynasty leagues there are one or two weak owners who are continually robbed and unless you are able to get in on that you are far behind the thieves.
I think in dynasty you have to trade. The owners that don't send any offers, are always the ones who complain when a deal gets done. The same owners are usually also the ones who decry every offer you send them as unfair, as if their crystal ball is any better than Miss Cleo's.

Fantasy football is fantasy football, you run your team to get the best possible outcome. Is one harder than the other? No, they are just different in that simplest sense that players are redrafted in redraft and you keep them in dynasty. Dedication is no different. Is it really hard for you to check your fantasy team while sitting on the toilet from time to time? Since this is a spin off, I'll say the same thing I did in another thread. No one has the "dont have time" excuse anymore with technology.

I've been in a dynasty for 11 years now while multiple redrafts leagues haves vanished. There's been turnover in two slots but 10 of the owners are original members and it still interests us to talk about the actual dynasty teams that occurred over the decade like we'd talk about real NFL teams.

Long-lasting dynasties are the sweetest spot of fantasy football. I feel fortunate to be in one.

Users who are viewing this thread