What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Chad ‘Swag’ Kelly, Colts (3 Viewers)

According to the discussion on Denver Sports talk the past few days, it's unknown what he was on.  They didn't take his BAC when taken into custody for some reason.  Was it alcohol or drugs?  I guess we might not find out.
kinda feel bad for the kid, but talented as he may have been, he couldn't get outa his own way.   at every level.

and he beat out a #1 draft pick in Lynch for the back up job in denver.

we've ALL done things we end up regretting.  just out of the media spotlight.   we eff up and maybe its a night in jail and some fines, hopefully.  this guy (along with gordon, blackmon, etc.......) cost himself not only the coin, but his (and his family's) rep.  hope he gets straight.

maybe (and completely speculating here) the pressure of his likely starting a REAL NFL game (when not if keenum implodes - maybe sunday) was his tippingpoint to return to his ####tardery. 

Well, I think we can safely cross his name off of ever becoming a supreme court justice. Probably will follow in Ryan Leaf's footsteps and get worse before he gets better.

Well, I think we can safely cross his name off of ever becoming a supreme court justice. Probably will follow in Ryan Leaf's footsteps and get worse before he gets better.
I'd say it actually doubles his chances of becoming a supreme court justice.

The Athletic's Stephen Holder reports it has been "percolating" that free agent Chad Kelly will sign with the Colts.

Holder was responding to a Tim Graham report that UDFA QB Jake Dolegala was pulling out of a deal with the Colts because of Kelly's expected signing. Kelly's market had — has? — been ice cold since his bizarre October arrest forced his release by the Broncos. Kelly had been on track to make 2018 starts before the incident. With Jacoby Brissett firmly entrenched behind Andrew Luck, Indy would not be a good landing spot from a reps perspective.

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: Stephen Holder on Twitter

Apr 27, 2019, 9:06 PM

Uncle Jim calls in another favor with buddy Frank.  

Chad is gonna run out of favors from his famous uncle soon. 
I actually like moves like this.

Chad doesn't seem like the brightest bulb in the marquee but there is always the chance he matures by his late 20's and if he did his arm probably makes him starting caliber for some team out there. There are so many backup QB's in the league just taking up space on a roster and have no legit chance of ever being a starter in the NFL. I guess they show up to the film room on time every day and say "yes sir/no sir" to the HC so they keep their job. Colt McCoy is a 33 developmental QB in the NFL and anytime he came close to starting WAS moves heaven and earth to bring in guys so that they won't have to start him. If that's the case then why the #### has he been taking up a roster spot all this time? Just one example.

Certainly far worse people than Reich and Luck that Kelly could have as potential mentors.  If he is going to get turned around it’s a good place to go to do it.

Former Broncos QB Chad Kelly is attending Colts rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

This confirms a previous report from The Athletic's Stephen Holder, who cited Kelly's arrival as a reason for UDFA Jake Dolegala signing elsewhere. The Ole Miss product was a preseason standout in Denver but was held back by off-field issues including an arrest last fall that ultimately led to his release. It's worth noting that Colts coach Frank Reich spent most of his playing career as the backup to Chad's uncle, Hall of Famer Jim Kelly.

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: Michael Giardi on Twitter

May 3, 2019, 1:38 PM ET

Colts signed QB Chad Kelly.

The final pick of the 2017 draft, Kelly appeared as if he would get a few starts for the Broncos last season, but he was waived after drunkenly breaking into a stranger's house following a Halloween party. He tried out for the Colts during rookie minicamp earlier this month, and he clearly showed enough to earn a contract. If Kelly shows well, he could allow the Colts to trade Jacoby Brissett, who is entering the final year of his deal.

RELATED: 

Denver Broncos

SOURCE: Colts.com

May 20, 2019, 9:50 AM ET

NFL suspended Colts QB Chad Kelly two games for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

This stems from Kelly's arrest last fall, which prompted his release from Denver. The former Mr. Irrelevant impressed in Colts minicamp last month and should compete for third-string quarterback duties behind starter Andrew Luck and backup Jacoby Brissett. He'll be eligible to return against the Falcons in Week 3.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

May 31, 2019, 3:38 PM ET

Brissett clearly has more experience with a full season under his belt.  Though, Chad Kelly is clearly the more talented QB on the Colts now.

Honestly, I like Kelly more than anyone drafted this year and last year, other than Mayfield.  Kelly is the Colts next hope for a franchise QB.  Yes, he's a loose cannon... can the Colts trust him enough to give him the keys to the franchise?

Here's what really pisses me off... if Kelly doesn't go completely off the rails at a Halloween party, he's Denver's starting QB right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to dig up my old copies to be sure, but I think Waldman had him ranked #2 in the draft class behind Mahomes.

Brissett clearly has more experience with a full season under his belt.  Though, Chad Kelly is clearly the more talented QB on the Colts now.

Honestly, I like Kelly more than anyone drafted this year and last year, other than Mayfield.  Kelly is the Colts next hope for a franchise QB.  Yes, he's a loose cannon... can the Colts trust him enough to give him the keys to the franchise?

Here's what really pisses me off... if Kelly doesn't go completely off the rails at a Halloween party, he's Denver's starting QB right now.
Not even trying to a make a joke here, but he pretty much has the best NFL owner to ensure him a longer leash on that sort of stuff should he veer toward recidivism.

Colts waived QB Chad Kelly.

Kelly would've stood a chance making the active roster in Week 3 had the Patriots not parted with Brian Hoyer, who was handed $9 million guaranteed from the Colts prior to Week 1. Kelly's done nothing but perform when given an opportunity, most recently striking on 54-of-73 passes (74%) for 583 yards, two scores, and two picks this preseason. Another suitor will quickly jump in and eventually find out whether those marks translate to regular season play or not.

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 4:40 PM ET

Time to give up the dream, guys. He's done.
I think most people agreed his preseason was outstanding and that he got caught in a numbers game. Personally, I'd like to see the young man get another chance and run with it, so to speak. Do most people get those chances and would he have if not related to Jim Kelly? Likely not, but sometimes a bit of familial nepotism can benefit everybody when at the center of it is someone worthy. 

Let's see the talent. 

I think most people agreed his preseason was outstanding and that he got caught in a numbers game. Personally, I'd like to see the young man get another chance and run with it, so to speak. Do most people get those chances and would he have if not related to Jim Kelly? Likely not, but sometimes a bit of familial nepotism can benefit everybody when at the center of it is someone worthy. 

Let's see the talent. 
I'm honestly not sure it is nepotism. It really seems like the talent is the allure that keeps him around. He's just got to get his head straight. Like you said, his preseason was nice. I still think he could turn out to be the better NFL QB between him and Brissett. He's got more upside, but obviously plenty of downside.

I'm honestly not sure it is nepotism. It really seems like the talent is the allure that keeps him around. He's just got to get his head straight. Like you said, his preseason was nice. I still think he could turn out to be the better NFL QB between him and Brissett. He's got more upside, but obviously plenty of downside.
Yeah, I was paying attention to his preseason run there. They did subscriber stuff on it here. He may very well turn out to be better than Brissett, who has managed to pass for under 200 yards while throwing the ball an average of 25+ a game. Not good. 

Insight into why Colts waived him??  Instead of keeping him around as a QB3/devo project . . .   Do they have a history of only keeping two QB's on the roster?

Free agent QB Chad Kelly is expected to rejoin the Colts as a member of their practice squad.

Kelly passed through waivers unclaimed after being let go by Indianapolis earlier this week. The Colts will stash him on the practice squad as insurance for starter Jacoby Brissett and veteran backup Brian Hoyer.

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Sep 19, 2019, 4:37 PM ET

Colts waived QB Chad Kelly. 

It's simply not happening for Kelly, who is more beloved by fantasy Twitter than real life coaching staffs. He was never going to make the Colts' 53-man roster after they selected Jacob Eason behind Philip Rivers and Jacoby Brissett. The Colts have also waived/released TE Xavier Grimble, CB Andre Chachere, DT Kameron Kline, TE Dominique Dafney, OG Jake Eldrenkamp, WR Daurice Fountain, TE Farrod Green, DE Gerri Green, WR DeMichael Harris, OT Brandon Hitner, WR Marcus Johnson, K Chase McLaughlin, OT Carter O'Donnell, C Javon Patterson, CB Lafayette Pitts, CB Jackson Porter, S Donald Rutledge, CB Tremon Smith, TE Andrew Vollert, DT Chris Williams, DT Robert Windsor and CB Travis Reed.

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Sep 5, 2020, 4:55 PM ET

Colts signed QB Chad Kelly to their practice squad. 

Kelly, waived by Indy on Saturday, could serve as the team's emergency quarterback if signal callers on the active roster test positive for COVID-19. "Swag" Kelly could very well be the swaggiest quarantine quarterback in the NFL. 

SOURCE: George Bremer on Twitter 

Sep 6, 2020, 4:46 PM ET

Wishing Swag all the best.  He has all the talent needed to be a starting QB in the league, but he can't be trusted.  Initially, I was quite peeved when the Broncos waived him.  Though, when finding out he assaulted and injured Von Miller's cameraman at that fateful Halloween party, I accepted he had to go.

Good luck to any team taking a chance on him.

Users who are viewing this thread