What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trying to get into the Grateful Dead (1 Viewer)

Just put on Santana-Abraxas and forget about GD.

If you need something whiter try Boogie with Canned Heat.

It's all about the experience,  man.  Seeing the Dead while stoned beyond belief was a transcendent experience. It can't be copied with YouTube clips and bootlegs. 

Sunshine Daydream and Ladies and Gentleman for the early sound, Without a Net for late 80's sound.  Good luck!

did you wake up and decide man i do not smell bad enough and i have not been strung out on drugs for a couple years at a time lately i better get in to the dead man they stink and i mean literally do not do it get you some real music like boston or looking glass take that to the bank bromigo 

"American Beauty" and "Workingman's Dead" are not a waste of time. 
Yeah, I think American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are two fine albums to start with. People love the live, jammy version of the Dead. Perhaps an entry point is the slightly more confined studio space. I get a bit lost in the jazz/rock/jam fusion of the live versions. 

American Beauty was my first pick of all the albums and all the songs in the recent seventies draft, but it's not a Johnny-Come-Lately love. It's been about twenty or so years of listening to that album. 

I wrote it up this way, for all its warts and hopeful loveliness. 

743528-1970s-music-draft-link-to-google-spreadsheet-in-first-post

Last edited by a moderator:
The enjoyment of the Grateful Dead comes from the fact that they were the Encyclopedia Britannica of American based music. Listen to a few live shows - find a couple of the cover songs you like and find out who wrote them and look for the originals - like Reverend Gary Davis, Lightin Hopkins, Howlin Wolf or Bobby Blue Bland. Or look into the history of "I Know You Rider" - then start exploring those sounds and artists that the Dead covered. It then gives you an appreciation of the vast array of music that Jerry and Robert Hunter drew from to design the Dead sound. The "western" sound that Bob Weir and John Perry Barlow is another avenue to explore - Marty Robbins, George Jones and Merle Haggard. They mined a lot of stuff and then Jerry added his special flourishes to make it work.You will learn about a lot of different music that will give you pleasure outside of the Dead itself.

Another avenue - but you'll have to go into the jazz realm sounds of the Dead generally speaking- is to listen to the paired songs on the live shows. Scarlet Begonias--> Fire on the Mountain then China Cat ---> I Know You Rider and the Blues for Allah stuff - Help on the Way--> Slipknot ---> Franklins Tower. And of course the parts of "That's it for the Other One" . Listen to how they transistion from a song into "Playin in the Band" and out of it - same with "Uncle John's Band". In the middle of these pairings as they blend from one into the other is where a lot of the fun happens from show to show.

As for Albums - don't forget to listen the the Jerry solo records - like Garcia or Relections - if you want to hear the studio versions of songs the dead did live.

Listening to some Coltrane may help as well - Jerry drew a lot from it.

The enjoyment of the Grateful Dead comes from the fact that they were the Encyclopedia Britannica of American based music. Listen to a few live shows - find a couple of the cover songs you like and find out who wrote them and look for the originals - like Reverend Gary Davis, Lightin Hopkins, Howlin Wolf or Bobby Blue Bland. Or look into the history of "I Know You Rider" - then start exploring those sounds and artists that the Dead covered. It then gives you an appreciation of the vast array of music that Jerry and Robert Hunter drew from to design the Dead sound. The "western" sound that Bob Weir and John Perry Barlow is another avenue to explore - Marty Robbins, George Jones and Merle Haggard. They mined a lot of stuff and then Jerry added his special flourishes to make it work.You will learn about a lot of different music that will give you pleasure outside of the Dead itself.

Another avenue - but you'll have to go into the jazz realm sounds of the Dead generally speaking- is to listen to the paired songs on the live shows. Scarlet Begonias--> Fire on the Mountain then China Cat ---> I Know You Rider and the Blues for Allah stuff - Help on the Way--> Slipknot ---> Franklins Tower. And of course the parts of "That's it for the Other One" . Listen to how they transistion from a song into "Playin in the Band" and out of it - same with "Uncle John's Band". In the middle of these pairings as they blend from one into the other is where a lot of the fun happens from show to show.

As for Albums - don't forget to listen the the Jerry solo records - like Garcia or Relections - if you want to hear the studio versions of songs the dead did live.

Listening to some Coltrane may help as well - Jerry drew a lot from it.
I started pretty young and naive. Had countless experiences where I heard originals and thought they were covers of the dead. To my shame I even thought Johnny Cash covered the dead's big river.   :bag:  The roots music is what puts them way over the top in comparison to bands like Phish, Widespread Panic etc. 

There's only one good thing to say about the gd GD - best fan club in geek history.

As a teen, i was rather famous w friends for my distate for the Dead. All anyone had to do to get me to leave a party was put them on the turntable. One pal got so tired of my castigation of many of his favorites (Dylan, Joplin) that he went for a li'l cool revenge.

He wrote a letter, "Dear Dead, You are my favorite rock and roll band in the whole, while world. I like you more even than the Rolling Stones (my totalEurosnob favorite in 1970). Keep putting out them records. I'll keep buying them." and sent it off to them.

For the next decade+, the Deadhead organization sent me posters, white pressings and other paraphernalia that would be worth thousands of dollars today, in addition to news and updates on every aspect of bringing the band's sound to their fans. Hell, i formed an outdoor-concert production company w a techie friend about five years later and a great deal of the design of our PA came from specs we read in Deadhead packages.

The most remarkable thing is that my address must have changed a dozen times over that period and the #### followed me to wherever i went til i went nearly a yr in nyc without a formal address in the early 80s. I accused the instigator - my best friend to this day - of updating them but he swears he didn't. Don't chang that their music slimes my ears still, but that was quite remarkable.

America's Greatest Rock Band

Agree on 5/8/77, although I'm not sure if starting with one of the best shows ever is a good idea or not.

Fun fact, it snowed that night in Ithaca, NY. On May 8th.

Check out the D-I-C-K's Picks series, tons of great stuff in there.

One last thing: It may take a while to get into, but don't get discouraged. Once it clicks, there's no turning back. And you will spend the next few years learning the hundreds of great songs they wrote.

Pretty jealous of the OP actually. I wish I could go back and have it all be new again!

Last edited by a moderator:
wilked said:
One of the Dead's biggest influences. I just think you'll end up appreciating them a little more as a result. 
One on the Dead's biggest influences is the Dead?

Knew a guy in college that had dropped out for a time and followed the dead for a year or so. 

Hated that ####er.

Users who are viewing this thread