What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It is getting hard to have conversations, it seems (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
I am pretty low key, unless drunk, but in almost every aspect of life, including with family, I just can't finish what I am saying if it is over 15 seconds. I am over 50 and used to listening before I talk but it seems now people are waiting to tell you something almost off the bat before you even finish your thought/point. I am pretty boring, so I can concede it might just be me.

I’m probably guilty of this to a certain degree, but I’m always trying to be constantly aware of what is happening. I’ll shut the FU and listen when I realize I’m trying to talk instead of listen.

Best example I can give is, there are 6 people in the division. Only us and its closed off. When one person starts talking about their child, the other is relating and starts a similar story about their child. While the original speaker is still talking the other is telling a related story. I don't understand how they are relating while both talking. The crazy part is neither stops until saying what they want. But they take a pause, and do it again.

Best example I can give is, there are 6 people in the division. Only us and its closed off. When one person starts talking about their child, the other is relating and starts a similar story about their child. While the original speaker is still talking the other is telling a related story. I don't understand how they are relating while both talking. The crazy part is neither stops until saying what they want. But they take a pause, and do it again.

More and more people are just constantly on send. It irks me to no end.

That’s the women in our family. They can all talk at the same time and never miss a beat.

I am pretty low key, unless drunk, but in almost every aspect of life, including with family, I just can't finish what I am saying if it is over 15 seconds. I am over 50 and used to listening before I talk but it seems now people are waiting to tell you something almost off the bat before you even finish your thought/point. I am pretty boring, so I can concede it might just be me.

Change a dynamic, then see what happens.

(This is not a reflection of you specifically, but a general statement to anyone period, particularly adult males)

1) Change the way you dress
2) Try a new haircut or new hair style
3) Focus on being in peak physical condition/physical shape relative to your situation and circumstances (age, injury, etc)
4) Pay attention to good eye contact, firm handshakes, and posture
5) Impose effective social/communication boundaries
6) Show some indicators of wealth/elevated perceived social status
7) Have a career that is universally "useful" or denotes some level of perceived status within it

In general, nearly all people, particularly Americans, and then again, American adult males in general, will be judged and treated, differently or not, to their status or perceived status. The more the person in front of you thinks you can do for them or be an "asset" to them, the less they want to create social friction with you. They are NOT treating you better. They are NOT respecting you. They are NOT engaging with you in good faith. They simply want something from you or believe you could potentially give them something they want down the road. Someone who cuts you off, talks over you and doesn't listen to you wouldn't do that to Steven Spielberg would they? Oprah Winfrey? Elon Musk? Joe Rogan? Denzel Washington? Their character is the same, but the circumstances changed.

If people are generally "disrespectful" to you, even strangers, and in most circumstances, they don't assess your "status" as a potential asset to them. That's what most adults do all the time, play a game of what they can get out of other people. Why do a lot of women have expensive handbags and shoes? If you ask them directly, they'll come up with some politically correct canned statement. But women treat other women with more "regard" (I won't say it's respect or even civility) when they have signs of status or perceived status. Many women are pretty vicious and mercenary in that way. All? I wouldn't say all. I would however say nearly all that are adults.

So should you or anyone else change certain visible dynamics to suit other people? I would say the first rule of better long term interactions with other people is to cut out all the toxic ones. Low character people are anchors. They will drag you down. You can't negotiate with them. If the negative situations are in the group of family members or coworkers or other obligations, then I'd limit my exposure to them. Don't put yourself in a situation to have a conversation with them. If it's kids, then if it's your kids, I'd squash that immediately. Children don't get to talk how they want to their parents, not when they live under your roof, it doesn't work that way.

But everyone should do whatever they can to raise their "perceived status" situation to the limit of their practical self esteem. It's good for self esteem to workout and be in good shape. It's good for self esteem to dress nicely and want to be as presentable as possible. It's good self esteem to reward yourself for your hard work day to day with sometimes getting an occasional luxury item, that might also show sighs of wealth/status. Don't do things to impress others, do them to show a degree of self care/self love/good self esteem for your own well being. Within that, sometimes those things also have an unintended benefit of getting a lot of people around you to back off or reduce social friction.

You can't change people. You can however walk away from many people. And those where it's difficult to walk away, you can just limit them to the point of nothing else in your life.

On an aside, the best way to be more effective in verbal communication/conversation, is to do more of it. If you have concerns on your "soft skills" in that regard, put yourself in a position to practice. In effect, talk to everyone. When you go a grocery store, or hardware store, or gym, say Hello to everyone you see. When it's near the holidays, wish everyone you see , even strangers, a Happy Thanksgiving and/or a Happy Holidays. Talk to people out of your "routine" and patterns, i.e. people you are commonly interacting with now, and see what happens. Handling people verbally is a very powerful skill set. It only makes your life easier if you can do better at it. So this is a worthwhile pursuit and there's a long term benefit to showing increased effort here.

Is this a regional thing?

I have no problem with normal back and forth conversation here in the Midwest.
I grew up in the Midwest, and my best friend is still there. He interrupts people more than anyone else I know. He also refuses to let anyone else interrupt him. He just gets louder and louder until the interrupter stops talking.

That’s the women in our family. They can all talk at the same time and never miss a beat.

I believe, IIRC, that @Judge Smails said he was in sales. That was years ago in the FFA. In the past, he's said, and I've said in public, that everyone should do a sales job at least once in their life. Maybe not forever for most people, but it's critical to learn how to hear a "No". It's useful to begin to understand conversation patterns, verbal cues, tone inflection, and possibly the associated body language along with all that.

Conversation is an art form. Communicating in any format can be an art form. If you want to do better at it, you have to keep doing it. It's like learning another language, you can't just stop and put it on a shelf, you must use it constantly.

But, and I cannot stress this enough, with more experience, it becomes more and more evident that you have to cut your losses on "lost causes" Watch Glengarry Glen Ross sometime. Jack Lemmon is desperate, he needs to sell some homes to keep his job and support his daughter. He ends up "selling" to someone who only wants to talk to realtors but will never buy. Someone clearly "off"

If it's family, walk out of the room. Do you pay the mortgage? Is it your home? Well sometimes you can't just kick someone out of your house. Maybe it's a sibling. Or an in-law. Or a parent. Sometimes it's not that simple. But you can always get up and walk out. If someone asks, don't mince it. Tell them you have other things you need to take care of and it needs to be handled now. If people are wasting your time, then walk away.

Something that's key to understand about adult women, particularly American women, is if there is an opportunity to complain and/or waste your time, they'll do it. Instinctively. Would I say all? No, I wouldn't go that far. I would say nearly nearly nearly nearly all. The key to a stress free life in that regard is to basically not pay attention to most everything they say. If they say the roof is on fire and it's literally on fire, then you do something about it. If something is broken and needs to be fixed, then fix it. But aside from core practical logistics for living life, I would say it's better to just tune them out. I have zero desire to attempt to negotiate with clear emotional terrorists.

Also, if there is a local Toastmasters ( some now do it online on things like Zoom), that is also very helpful to a lot of people in their speaking/communication skill. At least for people starting out.

The crazy part is neither stops until saying what they want. But they take a pause, and do it again.

Something that helps to compartmentalize what people say and do is to look for cues of low character. Now people interrupting each other isn't going to immediately indicate that they are a horrible human being, but it's probably fair to say it's a starting "red flag"

Once you add up enough "red flags", then it may be time to realize someone is just a low character person.

Low character people poison their family "good name", they are typically a poor reflection on their family, their parent and their children. Now, if I am going to be fair, some people do their best and their child just grows up to be a horrible human being anyway. But that's not as common. Usually a low character person simply repeats the "imprint" of their daily exposure to low character people. And low character people usually, and tragically, end up poisoning their own children with those toxic patterns and tendencies.

There's a saying - "If you want to smell like garbage, then spend all your time standing next to trash"

There is a good reason why parents will want their kids to avoid certain other kids and families if they assess that it's a "bad influence" It happens all the time. It happens more than people think. So one incident doesn't reflect character. But lots of small incidents added up becomes patterns and patterns start to tell a story that usually becomes undeniable. Watch what people say and do when they think no one is looking. Or when there are no "consequences" It becomes even more insidious if someone is talking over you, but wouldn't do it to their boss, or their social group, or at their gym, or to anyone who can offer some benefit to them. About 70 percent of all American adults are parents. Ever see or go to a sporting event and a parent is out of control or keeps doing something stupid or toxic? What do people think silently? They feel sorry for those kids.

"I feel sorry for their kids" = A politically correct way to say, internally, that you believe that bloodline is trash. That person acting like trash came from trash parents and will raise trash kids and you don't want your kids near them.

Low character people engage in low character behavior. They reduce their own children to human toilets. Think about how much someone must NOT love their own children to conduct themselves, in public or in private, like pure and utter trash in the first place? What we do and what we say and how we act reflects on our "family name" It reflects on those who raised us ( or didn't raise us) It reflects on our children. So if the situation is dealing with strangers, i.e. no obligations, the most functional way, IMHO and from my experience, to "detach" from the emotional investment in someone else's bad behavior is to just plain feel sorry for their children. What more punishment can you give them than they've given to themselves? Their low character is an open emotional and principled "death sentence" to a bunch of innocent kids.

Most low character people will disagree with what I just said. But again, that's not surprising, they are openly advertising that they've turned their own bloodline into pint sized sewage dumps. It takes the emotional charge away almost immediately. To realize the infliction of low character on you pales in comparison to the total betrayal of their own children.

Users who are viewing this thread