What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nothing seems to get done any more - Society is or isn’t crumbling- screen time and other lawn related gripes (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22

Footballguy
it seems to me that there is almost no productivity getting done in America on a day-to-day basis.

Maybe because I’m coming from a production background, but I can’t get anyone outside of construction to actually do anything in a timely manner.

I’ve been waiting to get an answer back from WSSC regarding a claim that I filed in December 2023. Every week the lady is either out sick or she’ll get it to me next week. I have emailed her supervisors, and that doesn’t seem to matter.

I’ve been trying to get a second job – we’re talking cashier or stocker, low level entry stuff. Applied to UPS, Costco, and Home Depot. All had to be online. I guess my name just goes in a box and if it’s not picked out in 90 days- I have to re-apply.

I think I got a job at Ace Hardware - the manager tells me that I’m hired but he won’t give me a start date. This has been almost a month.

It seems that everyone’s personal lives dominate their business life and the lower level positions - nobody cares at all.

Maybe it’s me. Maybe weeks or months to do things that only take minutes of actual work is acceptable.

/rant

Last edited:
it seems to me that there is almost no productivity getting done in America on a day-to-day basis.

Maybe because I’m coming from a production background, but I can’t get anyone outside of construction to actually do anything in a timely manner.

I’ve been waiting to get an answer back from WSSC regarding a claim that I filed in December 2023. Every week the lady is either out sick or she’ll get it to me next week. I have emailed her supervisors, and that doesn’t seem to matter.

I’ve been trying to get a second job – we’re talking cashier or stocker, low level entry stuff. Applied to UPS, Costco, and Home Depot. All had to be online. I guess my name just goes in a box and if it’s not picked out in 90 days- I have to re-apply.

I think I got a job at Ace Hardware - the manager tells me that I’m hired but he won’t give me a start date. This has been almost a month.

It seems that everyone’s personal lives dominate their business life and the lower level positions - nobody cares at all.

Maybe it’s me. Maybe weeks or months to do things that only take minutes of actual work is acceptable.

/rant
Home Depot is easy to get into. Just hit up the store manager personally and say you have submitted an online application and were wondering if it was seen. Now do take note: Jan-April are really bad months to be looking here because hours are VERY limited and employees that have full time status and been there 25+ years take priority. You may or will get hired with this approach but not part time worthy employed till May or June. I take a leave of absence during those months as I am retired and don't need the cash when the hours are this limited. It's an ok culture and the job is crazy easy if your store manager is somewhat mellow. I'd look at different locations and ask people on reddit (r/homedepot) is certain locations are ok to work for. Hope this is helpful.

/rant
Background/security check can be a big holdup. Costco has awesome benefits. I would check back with them.

Could be as simple as they think you're over qualified and don't want to waste your time or their time. Maybe?

Hang in there, man.

I’ve considered that too.

I try and take a stoic approach to everything but I must admit that I’m struggling with the balance between being confident and like…. Hey!….. am I old? Is this what it starts to feel like? Lol

/rant
Home Depot is easy to get into. Just hit up the store manager personally and say you have submitted an online application and were wondering if it was seen. Now do take note: Jan-April are really bad months to be looking here because hours are VERY limited and employees that have full time status and been there 25+ years take priority. You may or will get hired with this approach but not part time worthy employed till May or June. I take a leave of absence during those months as I am retired and don't need the cash when the hours are this limited. It's an ok culture and the job is crazy easy if your store manager is somewhat mellow. I'd look at different locations and ask people on reddit (r/homedepot) is certain locations are ok to work for. Hope this is helpful.

Yeah we got some lifers at mine. At least like 3 from when I first moved into the area 20 years ago. Figured It’s right up the street and I know the store better than most employees.

Probably just a bad time of year.

I didn’t mean this to be a “I can’t find part time work” rant. I have a side gig (I called the manager and confirmed it again today)

It’s more than that. My work is just as bad. Takes forever to make a decision and then take action.

/rant
Background/security check can be a big holdup. Costco has awesome benefits. I would check back with them.
You can say this, it's not wrong but I was hired same day. Came back for orientation 2 hours later, worked the next week. If you are not a felon, your in. Just show initiative and you should be good to go. Especially in June or July. Probably even in May.

/rant

Yeah we got some lifers at mine. At least like 3 from when I first moved into the area 20 years ago. Figured It’s right up the street and I know the store better than most employees.

Probably just a bad time of year.
I have 2 guys working for 30+ years in my store. Geez like really? I don't understand it. It's not like they are upper mangmt or anything. Just doing what I'm doing every day. I guess it works for them.

I billed over 2600 hours last year.

ETA: In other words, I'd love to get nothing done and still live comfortably.

Reactions: jwb
Old man/cloud stuff here, but I get frustrated working with younger Millennials and GenZ - they seem to take a lot of time off.

Old man/cloud stuff here, but I get frustrated working with younger Millennials and GenZ - they seem to take a lot of time off.
They should take whatever time the company gives them and not feel ANY guilt about it.
I recently left a job I was at after 10 1/2 years. I had 86 hours accumulated time off-got paid for 20.
The other 66 was accrued time that if wasn't used was lost.

A lot of places are under staffed and will never be fully staffed because they have employees that
will "go the extra mile" to get the job done and never get extra compensation for it.

/rant
wait, how do you get people in construction to do anything in a timely manner?

if there's a group of people who don't want to do work, it's these guys. try getting anything done around your house and you've gotta reach out to 15 people to get 2 responses. then neither of those guys will do the job for a reasonable amount, or in a reasonable amount of time.

Why so many? My experience with lawyers is you aren’t billing every minute of your day so are you working 60 hour weeks?

Good for them. Life is short. Enjoy the time you have and especially the time you have off. Work can piss off.

Yea I work for myself so I'm admittedly a bad person to judge this.

Good for them. Life is short. Enjoy the time you have and especially the time you have off. Work can piss off.
Exactly this. At the end of the day, the only real thing that we all have is our time, our experiences and our memories. I used to be a crazy workaholic and I’m so glad that I got out of that slave mentality (I’m not referring to any Andrew Tate garbage). I was sacrificing quality time with my family, loved ones, friends and instead just handing my most valuable asset (my time) to my employer and job. I didn’t realize that I was being a crappy an unavailable friend, an agitated and unavailable family member—all for what—making some money that I didn’t have time to enjoy? I am happy working less and living a far less elegant lifestyle and enjoying my life a lot more.

Exactly this. At the end of the day, the only real thing that we all have is our time, our experiences and our memories. I used to be a crazy workaholic and I’m so glad that I got out of that slave mentality (I’m not referring to any Andrew Tate garbage). I was sacrificing quality time with my family, loved ones, friends and instead just handing my most valuable asset (my time) to my employer and job. I didn’t realize that I was being a crappy an unavailable friend, an agitated and unavailable family member—all for what—making some money that I didn’t have time to enjoy? I am happy working less and living a far less elegant lifestyle and enjoying my life a lot more.
Me too. I used to go above and beyond and ultimately I got more work. I don’t blame the kids now a days. Companies will cut you free as soon as it benefits them.

Me too. I used to go above and beyond and ultimately I got more work. I don’t blame the kids now a days. Companies will cut you free as soon as it benefits them.
Good on you for realizing it. It took me nearly 28 years to figure it out. A global pandemic and a violent smash and grab robbery are apparently what it took for me to re-program myself into thinking that I shouldn’t be structuring my life around work. Instead, I should be structuring work around my life.

Good on you for realizing it. It took me nearly 28 years to figure it out. A global pandemic and a violent smash and grab robbery are apparently what it took for me to re-program myself into thinking that I shouldn’t be structuring my life around work. Instead, I should be structuring work around my life.
Oh it took me nearly 20 years too unfortunately. Two things I never wanted to be known as…….cheap or lazy. My work ethic and my generosity would ultimately be taken advantage of many times over.

Last edited:

Why so many? My experience with lawyers is you aren’t billing every minute of your day so are you working 60 hour weeks?
the one time I used a $500/hour lawyer, it took her 15 minutes to read a 1 paragraph email. Made me wonder how she got through law school in a timely fashion. 🤔

The kids saw a system designed to make others rich and decided to go dance on tiktok and do food reviews on YouTube for money. I ain’t mad at them.

The kids saw a system designed to make others rich and decided to go dance on tiktok and do food reviews on YouTube for money. I ain’t mad at them.
They found a way to do things that they love and make some money doing it. That’s what all of us should be doing. It’s brilliantly simple and logical. So many of us (myself included) were brainwashed into thinking that tolerating long hours and thankless demanding employers is something we just put up with —and in return—we MAYBE reward ourselves with 2-3 weeks of actual fun per year in the form of vacations (where we are effectively recharging ourselves to be exhausted again).

/rant

if there's a group of people who don't want to do work, it's these guys. try getting anything done around your house and you've gotta reach out to 15 people to get 2 responses. then neither of those guys will do the job for a reasonable amount, or in a reasonable amount of time.

I've always joked that construction/contactor/etc must be a super lucrative gig because nowhere else have I seen people so readily not be bothered to collect $20k+ just by returning a phone call.

That isn't anything new in that field. In my field when I give someone a bid I follow up with them several times to try and close the deal. These guys not only never bother to follow up, they don't return calls half the time when someone is looking to move forward. They must just be getting more work than they know what to do with for the last 20 years.

That isn't anything new in that field. In my field when I give someone a bid I follow up with them several times to try and close the deal. These guys not only never bother to follow up, they don't return calls half the time when someone is looking to move forward. They must just be getting more work than they know what to do with for the last 20 years.

This has been my experience for a long time. I've seen this go down myriad times. The best thing to do is to get a guy that becomes "your guy" and who serves as a sort of point man for all jobs pertaining to the household. Then you can parlay that trust into other jobs that need doing, and chances are he will know people who can do it. But contractors and their business acquaintances run on their time and their time only. Pay them well and treat them well because they won't be around long if you don't.

But I have noticed STEADY's broader point. It seems to me that people have indeed stopped doing basic stuff and that things have gotten a little weird in terms of production. I suppose that's always been said by older generations, so maybe it's just us. But I've noticed it. Don't know what to do about it, but I've noticed. Perhaps this is the new normal and we'd better adjust our expectations. Oh well. This sort of production and standard of living couldn't last forever in America, I guess.

/rant

I've always joked that construction/contactor/etc must be a super lucrative gig because nowhere else have I seen people so readily not be bothered to collect $20k+ just by returning a phone call.

As somebody that works with contractors as part of my architecture job, I'll tell you the problem: most contracting firms are run by contractors... People who were good at their job swinging a hammer or even dealing with bigger picture organizational stuff around the whole job site and decided to go out on their own.

Most of these guys are fantastic contractors, but meh to horrible business people. When I'm forced to work with this type, I end up having to do a lot of that work to cover both our asses...and I'm meh at it myself. But I'm lucky to work at the highest end of my sector where most of these firms are bigger and run like actual big-boy businesses, with people with training to do each of the very specific jobs back of house that makes the companies function, both internally and from user interface standpoint.

/rant

This is not how it work(ed) for us. Thats why Im so frustrated. I used to get A LOT done everyday. Now its just hurry up and wait for others to get back to me or *gasp* do something without being asked or told to.

I can only speak for my little corner of the world, but I see the same thing. It's not everybody of course, but a noticeable number of people have checked out and it is making it harder than normal to get anything done. For example, my colleagues who are journal editors tell that it is extremely difficult to find reviewers these days, and the people who are willing to serve as reviewers take forever to turn articles around. I have noticed that when we send tenure dossiers out for external review, we encounter more and more people who simply refuse to participate. Those folks have always existed, but their numbers have been swollen ever since 2020 and the all the excitement.

I can see retirement from here so I don't really care that much myself, but it's interesting to observe.

/rant

As somebody that works with contractors as part of my architecture job, I'll tell you the problem: most contracting firms are run by contractors... People who were good at their job swinging a hammer or even dealing with bigger picture organizational stuff around the whole job site and decided to go out on their own.

Most of these guys are fantastic contractors, but meh to horrible business people. When I'm forced to work with this type, I end up having to do a lot of that work to cover both our asses...and I'm meh at it myself. But I'm lucky to work at the highest end of my sector where most of these firms are bigger and run like actual big-boy businesses, with people with training to do each of the very specific jobs back of house that makes the companies function, both internally and from user interface standpoint.

I dont know how many times Ive kicked dudes off ym jobs for arriving late and having the attitude that Im lucky that theyre there.

I even had a guy tell me that - "You're lucky we're here" No dude, we contracted you to perform this work. Im not asking you.

I bitched and groused enough at my company when I was unhappy and finally got placed on a team that I love to work for - I knew my value and I finally got my company on the same page as me. It has been 2+ years now and I haven't felt burnt out. I'm continually engaged.

It is a wholly new experience for me but now I'm hanging onto it as long as I can.

This is not how it work(ed) for us. Thats why Im so frustrated. I used to get A LOT done everyday. Now its just hurry up and wait for others to get back to me or *gasp* do something without being asked or told to.

I can only speak for my little corner of the world, but I see the same thing. It's not everybody of course, but a noticeable number of people have checked out and it is making it harder than normal to get anything done.

Just don't say they take too much time off! :)

Seriously, I misspoke earlier on that - I've never, ever been a "sell your soul to the company" guy. Goodness, it's why I work for myself. And I feel it's criminal when companies would not pay out unused sick time/etc, so in cases like that I do not blame anyone for using it if it won't get paid out otherwise. By and large, companies don't care about you, and never will.

But I am also self employed, so my vision is skewed by that. I'm the one who makes the work appear (this is a huge realization when you become self employed). I can't mail it in. I can't coast. If I do, I'll starve. But I never mailed it in even when I worked for others. Not that I would forgo vacations or work for free, but I always made sure my best effort and best work was given. I have no college degree, but I always did fine in the corporate world because I got stuff done, and done well. So I definitely get frustrated when I sense "mail it in" from someone I am dealing with, especially beyond the entry level phase of one's career. Not that I like unrealistic workloads and arbitrary deadlines/etc either - I don't. There's a happy medium somewhere.

This is a flaw, to be sure, and is something I am working on. I'm trying to recognize it and not let it bother me as much as it did. I realize I have little to gain by being frustrated. And like a lot of you, I see retirement at some point in the next decade, so in true GenX fashion, whatever.

/rant

Hang in there GB.

If I'm understanding right, this is really 2 separate things.

Most importantly, it's about your job search. Hang in there and keep at it.

It's also about the lack of productivity from people/society. I think a ton of that is true as well as ironically, many are busy /and/or distracted with other things.

I think a ton of it is setting expectations.

With job stuff for instance, setting expectations is big. As in what people who apply can expect.

There's a person in the fantasy football industry (and no, I'm not naming names) who I intereacted with something last year and they were pretty rude. I asked if something was wrong. He said, "Hey, I know it's petty, but I applied for a thing and never heard back and that made me really mad at you personally".

I get it. The truth was we should have set a clear expectation for what would happen.

Users who are viewing this thread