What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nothing seems to get done any more - Society is or isn’t crumbling- screen time and other lawn related gripes (2 Viewers)

What trades are good to get into? I’m 45 and kind of done with white collar work. Not too worried about money and would like something that is truly hands-on. Have thought about putting up billboards, though my wife thinks it’s too dangerous(not sure I agree) Was looking at wind turbine repair, but that might even be more dangerous…

I'd be careful about something that would be dangerous/demanding physically f you're looking to ride this out to retirement. You may feel great at 45 but you're approaching the age where anything could go wrong at any time.

Every small business owner I know has the same complaint, no good employees. And every one of them is willing to bend over backwards for a good one.

I agree with everything you said save the above - to a degree anyway.

I know a lot of small biz owners too. And many are a little stuck in the past in regards to hourly pay. I've heard a lot of "If I pay $15/hr, then I expect xyz" (where xyz is manager level stuff). They don't realize that today's $15, even if it's not the official minimum wage for where they are, prettymuch buys you the bare minimum.
Yes, many small business owners underestimate even their own value and could raise their prices and lose no business. But if you aren't paying a competitive wage these days you aren't getting a lot of applicants for your hypothetical manager job. It is a job our hypothetical small business owner will end up doing themselves.

Old man/cloud stuff here, but I get frustrated working with younger Millennials and GenZ - they seem to take a lot of time off.
Good for them. Life is short. Enjoy the time you have and especially the time you have off. Work can piss off.
Overall, this is terrible advice and outlook. When I was young, I worked hard and played hard and slept like a baby to wake up the next day to do it all over again. If you live every day like it is your last you never build anything or save anything, and then when the next day comes with some sort of trouble you have nothing to deal with it.
How old are you? This used to work. it doesn’t anymore. Im 50 so im fine, I have a savings etc. 20 something’s truly have it rough now in the job market. Now busting your butt at work basically gets you more work and less help.
I completely disagree with you. It does work and there are ways to get around the difficulties. It might not be easy, you might have to budget and deny yourself some things and get a roommate or two. Live with your parents to get around cost of living if you can't find roommates. But if you find a career where there is a high need and low number of applicants and get good at it, you will be fine. Your last sentence defines the very definition of demand in economics. If a person cannot parlay that into a good salary or hourly wage that is on them. Every small business owner I know has the same complaint, no good employees. And every one of them is willing to bend over backwards for a good one.

Anecdotal but still an example. My wife works at Starbucks, and they have a new policy that every barista has to work one day on the weekend. She said no, transfer me some where they can support my schedule or get rid of me, and I will draw unemployment. All the while she works harder than 90% of the people, who are half her age, at the unit she is at. Long story short she no longer has to work weekends because the unit can't let her go without having an employee revolt, because so many people went to the manager and plead her case for here and threaten to quit or leave if she did. This is a 20 hour a week job you would think that Starbucks could fill no problem. Huge problem to replace a good worker and the manager is breaking the corporate rules for her to keep her and the other good employees around.

As an employer myself, I know that good employees that get stuff done are worth doing just about anything to keep them around. Especially if it is a skilled labor position, physical or mental. My main employee I pay $37.00 an hour, plus 1.5 overtime pay, plus profit sharing, plus an SEP, plus Christmas bonus which is two weeks' pay, plus 4 weeks paid vacation, plus 5 sick days paid, plus health insurance, plus use of vehicle for work when he wants. Plus, help buying material for his side jobs and help pulling permits for those same side jobs if he needs it. He just turned thirty. By the time he turns 40 heavens only knows what hourly wage he will be able to command. He will be fine and would have a house by now if he hadn't of gone so far into debt as a very irresponsible 18-year-old.

In contrast I hired an 18-year-old guy, started him at $22 an hour, plus a $2500 signing bonus, half up front, half after 6 months, plus everything I listed in the above paragraph, while he had zero experience. He quit after three weeks because he didn't like having to dig a trench for pipes once a week. While I at almost three times his age was digging right next to him and trying to train him as fast as possible in how to lay out pipes etc. When I started, I had to dig the entire trench system by myself before any one even thought of teaching me anything that had to do with actual plumbing.

Sorry but there is a significant portion of this generation that feels entitled and has no work ethic at all, and no sense of self control or self denial. Its not all of them, its not new, but it is worse than it has ever been.
I can respect that. Thanks for the reply.
Thank you for that. And I hope this doesn't come off of as a look at me post. I can only speak from my experiences.

What trades are good to get into? I’m 45 and kind of done with white collar work. Not too worried about money and would like something that is truly hands-on. Have thought about putting up billboards, though my wife thinks it’s too dangerous(not sure I agree) Was looking at wind turbine repair, but that might even be more dangerous…
Electrician or possibly low voltage wiring. Both are going to be high demand going forward.

Electrician or possibly low voltage wiring. Both are going to be high demand going forward.
Yeah I was gonna say this. Especially if you can get into residential work.

Might need to climb ladders from time to time but generally not hauling heavy materials around. And normally would be in climate controlled environments.

Residential HVAC. The amount of business that will be generated over the next decade is going to be staggering as older units age out and new refrigerant requirements come into play.

Residential HVAC. The amount of business that will be generated over the next decade is going to be staggering as older units age out and new refrigerant requirements come into play.

Okay, but how long would it take a complete and utter idiot like me devoid of any mechanical skills to get up and running in this field? 10 years? 5? I'm the person instructions on shampoo bottles are for.

Okay, but how long would it take a complete and utter idiot like me devoid of any mechanical skills to get up and running in this field? 10 years? 5? I'm the person instructions on shampoo bottles are for.
Well you do eat all the poop so...

My suggestion would be to catch on with an established company, have them train you up for a couple three years then start out on your own. @ChiefD what say you?

My suggestion would be to catch on with an established company, have them train you up for a couple three years then start out on your own. @ChiefD what say you?
Well, I would say if he really has no mechanical aptitude at all - stay out of the trades. But I agree with you - contact local electricians and see if they will take on a gopher for awhile. The only way to learn is by doing it, but I also know established electricians won't have patience for a guy who really doesn't know how to do anything mechanical.

Bigger companies will take kids out of high school and train them - so if it's me I look for a bigger company. They will bring numbers in and weed out the real morons who just have no chance. If he goes in and works hard and picks up on it quick, they will keep him on. But I wouldn't expect to make much money for awhile.

Well, I would say if he really has no mechanical aptitude at all - stay out of the trades. But I agree with you - contact local electricians and see if they will take on a gopher for awhile. The only way to learn is by doing it, but I also know established electricians won't have patience for a guy who really doesn't know how to do anything mechanical.

Bigger companies will take kids out of high school and train them - so if it's me I look for a bigger company. They will bring numbers in and weed out the real morons who just have no chance. If he goes in and works hard and picks up on it quick, they will keep him on. But I wouldn't expect to make much money for awhile.
Well there you go :bag:

Users who are viewing this thread