What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nothing seems to get done any more - Society is or isn’t crumbling- screen time and other lawn related gripes (3 Viewers)

The only thing I’ll add that I haven’t seen is the idea of quiet quitting - I think there’s a lot of people who have done this as they feel their efforts to kill themselves at work just aren’t worth it. Some perceive that as lazy, some as noble (sticking it to the man), some as a good way to find a work-life balance that works for them. No matter what you call it or what you think about it, it’s a reality.
My assumption that "quiet quitting" is not giving a crap about your work and just going through the motions while putting in the minimal time. To me that is very different than doing a quality job while you are at your job and just working the 40 hrs you are supposed to be doing (work-life balance). Am I misunderstanding quiet quitting?

The only thing I’ll add that I haven’t seen is the idea of quiet quitting - I think there’s a lot of people who have done this as they feel their efforts to kill themselves at work just aren’t worth it. Some perceive that as lazy, some as noble (sticking it to the man), some as a good way to find a work-life balance that works for them. No matter what you call it or what you think about it, it’s a reality.
My assumption that "quiet quitting" is not giving a crap about your work and just going through the motions while putting in the minimal time. To me that is very different than doing a quality job while you are at your job and just working the 40 hrs you are supposed to be doing (work-life balance). Am I misunderstanding quiet quitting?
Regardless of what people are calling it, I'll happily cop to the second thing you mentioned. I'm not ready to retire yet, but I can see retirement from here. I can do my job just fine on autopilot during normal business hours without needing to stay late or take work home. I actually haven't taken work home in years -- not sure exactly how long, but it's been a long time. I care about the quality of my work, and I care about contributing to my team, but I'm not looking for a promotion at this point so why worry about doing anything beyond my actual job?

I'm very glad that I worked hard in my 30s so I can kind of coast in my 50s. That was always the plan I suppose, and it worked out.

Regardless of what people are calling it, I'll happily cop to the second thing you mentioned. I'm not ready to retire yet, but I can see retirement from here. I can do my job just fine on autopilot during normal business hours without needing to stay late or take work home. I actually haven't taken work home in years -- not sure exactly how long, but it's been a long time. I care about the quality of my work, and I care about contributing to my team, but I'm not looking for a promotion at this point so why worry about doing anything beyond my actual job?

I'm very glad that I worked hard in my 30s so I can kind of coast in my 50s. That was always the plan I suppose, and it worked out.
I am in the exact same situation. Doing a quality job and getting everything done that needs to get done is important but I don't take anything home (generally) and if I am efficient while at work there isn't a need for more than 40 (typically there really isn't a need for more than 30 if I am doing my job well). On the other hand there are others that seem to never have enough time mainly because they aren't efficient and waste too much time during the day.

As a manager I always told my people (salaried) that I didn't care what hours they kept as long as they got their work done. If they could do the job in 30 hours one week great. I had no issue with leaving early or coming in late or taking a long lunch. However, there are times when deadlines or other factors require you to work 50 hours and I would expect them to put in those hours to get the work done they are responsible for. The whole point is to get the job done that you are being paid to do. If you are that good and can do something in 2 hours that takes someone else 4 hrs then you should be rewarded. You shouldn't have to sit around twiddling your thumbs for two hours just to put in your "40".

I think the original premise behind quiet quitting was doing exactly what you’re paid to do and not going beyond that to take on additional tasks, staying late etc. Basically still doing a good job but limiting it to what you’re paid for and no more.

Yes, the latter is considered quiet quitting. And it's ridiculous.

It's infuriating to me that in our work culture, showing up to work and putting in your 40 hours doing good work is now a negative thing and not good enough.

It's infuriating to me that in our work culture, showing up to work and putting in your 40 hours doing good work is now a negative thing and not good enough.
Agreed. That term is so negative that it amazes me it pertains to actually doing good work. Like I said before, many times the best workers can efficiently get their work done in 40 hrs and it's the lesser workers that need the 50 hrs to get the same stuff done. All that does is make the efficient worker look bad because look at Johnny working 50 hrs. Why don't you do that? Well, because I got more work done in 40 hrs than Johnny does in 50. Not my fault he is terrible.

They really needed a better name for it. Quiet quitting sounds inherently negative. Makes me think management came up with the term.

They really needed a better name for it. Quiet quitting sounds inherently negative. Makes me think management came up with the term.

Yes, to basically all of this. The term really was created to say, "Hey, I'll put my 40 hours in and do a good job but I'm going to have a life and not kill myself with work." And absolutely the name really does the term no favors as it definitely has a negative connotation - I definitely empathize with folks who maybe feel that way as I have moments myself.

Reactions: jwb

Seriously?

That honestly might be the dumbest name ever attributed to anything. If that's what that means than I've been quitting my job (that I do pretty well) for the last 8 years.

I work the hours I'm supposed to and no more. Why? Because working more is dumb.

I was a "quiet quitter" well before covid.

When I worked my *** and my raise was .05 higher than someone who meets expectations? I did get promoted a couple times prior but I didn't care about getting to the next step. I do my job well but I'm not going above and beyond anymore.

Last edited:

I am in the exact same situation. Doing a quality job and getting everything done that needs to get done is important but I don't take anything home (generally) and if I am efficient while at work there isn't a need for more than 40 (typically there really isn't a need for more than 30 if I am doing my job well). On the other hand there are others that seem to never have enough time mainly because they aren't efficient and waste too much time during the day.

As a manager I always told my people (salaried) that I didn't care what hours they kept as long as they got their work done. If they could do the job in 30 hours one week great. I had no issue with leaving early or coming in late or taking a long lunch. However, there are times when deadlines or other factors require you to work 50 hours and I would expect them to put in those hours to get the work done they are responsible for. The whole point is to get the job done that you are being paid to do. If you are that good and can do something in 2 hours that takes someone else 4 hrs then you should be rewarded. You shouldn't have to sit around twiddling your thumbs for two hours just to put in your "40".
I see this all the time. If somebody is new to their role and they look a little harried and overworked, fine, I get it. But you've been in the job for 5 years and you're having trouble meeting deadlines and going on and on about all the work you do in the evenings and weekends? Yeah, I am silently judging your time management skills and overall competence. The message you are communicating and the message you think you're communicating are not in alignment.

But you've been in the job for 5 years and you're having trouble meeting deadlines and going on and on about all the work you do in the evenings and weekends? Yeah, I am silently judging your time management skills and overall competence. The message you are communicating and the message you think you're communicating are not in alignment.
Working a lot of hours doesn't mean you are a good worker. There should be a term for that as quaint as "quiet quitting". Maybe something like "loudly working". The polar opposite of quiet quitting which sounds bad but is good while loudly working sounds good but is bad. Maybe I need to workshop it a bit.

Seriously?

That honestly might be the dumbest name ever attributed to anything. If that's what that means than I've been quitting my job (that I do pretty well) for the last 8 years.

I work the hours I'm supposed to and no more. Why? Because working more is dumb.

It's indicative of the work culture in America. Give more more more to your corporate overlords. It's one of the worst things about American culture and one of the reasons my wife and I have a medium-term plan to move abroad.

The last few pages are eye opening.

I assumed quiet quitting was NOT doing your job but coasting under the radar, maybe due to being remote.

On what planet is doing your job but no more quiet quitting? It is the responsibility of the employer to motivate their staff ( financially or otherwise) to do more than required.

I left my last role because I felt I was underpaid. They split my duties into 2.5 roles AND added a “Sr” to the title to be able to pay my replacement more money. I am pissed I endured that situation for more than 2 years.

But I guess if employees have more blood to give companies will keep squeezing until people push back.

I assumed quiet quitting was NOT doing your job but coasting under the radar, maybe due to being remote.

On what planet is doing your job but no more quiet quitting? It is the responsibility of the employer to motivate their staff ( financially or otherwise) to do more than required.

I left my last role because I felt I was underpaid. They split my duties into 2.5 roles AND added a “Sr” to the title to be able to pay my replacement more money. I am pissed I endured that situation for more than 2 years.

But I guess if employees have more blood to give companies will keep squeezing until people push back.
this is right on you either speak up or move on to somewhere that will give you fair value but dont you dare stay where you are and take it from the man take that to the bank brochachos

I see this all the time. If somebody is new to their role and they look a little harried and overworked, fine, I get it. But you've been in the job for 5 years and you're having trouble meeting deadlines and going on and on about all the work you do in the evenings and weekends? Yeah, I am silently judging your time management skills and overall competence. The message you are communicating and the message you think you're communicating are not in alignment.

I don't disagree but working for a F500 company there's a decent number of people who stay in a constant state of worry about their job, so they feel obligated to consistently work extra to ensure they keep that role. And the work piles up as the layoffs are never-ending. Not exactly what you two are discussing but it does exist.

Last edited:

Shows you how enslaved we've become to our work lives and corporate overlords when we think only doing what is required is "quitting"

On the other hand, what would you think if your kid decided they were aiming for a D- in all of their classes? That's the bare minimum to pass.

But you've been in the job for 5 years and you're having trouble meeting deadlines and going on and on about all the work you do in the evenings and weekends? Yeah, I am silently judging your time management skills and overall competence. The message you are communicating and the message you think you're communicating are not in alignment.
Working a lot of hours doesn't mean you are a good worker. There should be a term for that as quaint as "quiet quitting". Maybe something like "loudly working". The polar opposite of quiet quitting which sounds bad but is good while loudly working sounds good but is bad. Maybe I need to workshop it a bit.
I worked with a woman about 10 years ago that was an extreme example of this. I wasn't her manager but worked in a related role. She was always incredibly busy whenever you asked how she was doing. Other managers would question if we should add another person in that role since it seemed like there was too much work for one person. She went on maternity leave and we brought in a fresh grad to fill in for her. After a while the fresh grad came to me and asked for more work because it only took her 7 hours a week to finish all her work. As soon as the original person came back, the work seemed to expand and she was again incredibly busy. She got promoted after I left, and I still have no idea what she did all day long.

I worked with a woman about 10 years ago that was an extreme example of this. I wasn't her manager but worked in a related role. She was always incredibly busy whenever you asked how she was doing. Other managers would question if we should add another person in that role since it seemed like there was too much work for one person. She went on maternity leave and we brought in a fresh grad to fill in for her. After a while the fresh grad came to me and asked for more work because it only took her 7 hours a week to finish all her work. As soon as the original person came back, the work seemed to expand and she was again incredibly busy. She got promoted after I left, and I still have no idea what she did all day long.
She was a genius

I recently had a transaction where the cashier did not look up from their phone or make any eye contact with me. Just completed the sale and handed me my receipt.

They know they'll be out of work soon with self checkout! But that's another rant.
I don’t use it at our Publix. I’ll wait in the 2 lines they have open. Super annoying. If you want me to do your job for you Publix then lower my prices (yea right).

I recently had a transaction where the cashier did not look up from their phone or make any eye contact with me. Just completed the sale and handed me my receipt.

They know they'll be out of work soon with self checkout! But that's another rant.
I think I heard Walmart is getting rid of them due it the high levels of theft of people not scanning items.
And people say society is lazy. This is a huge win.

What trades are good to get into? I’m 45 and kind of done with white collar work. Not too worried about money and would like something that is truly hands-on. Have thought about putting up billboards, though my wife thinks it’s too dangerous(not sure I agree) Was looking at wind turbine repair, but that might even be more dangerous…

What trades are good to get into? I’m 45 and kind of done with white collar work. Not too worried about money and would like something that is truly hands-on. Have thought about putting up billboards, though my wife thinks it’s too dangerous(not sure I agree) Was looking at wind turbine repair, but that might even be more dangerous…
What trade isn't good to get into? That is the better question.

This doesn’t really help me…

I’m looking for some specific ideas. Plumbing doesn’t seem good. What is newer that would be good? Something in solar?

Shows you how enslaved we've become to our work lives and corporate overlords when we think only doing what is required is "quitting"

On the other hand, what would you think if your kid decided they were aiming for a D- in all of their classes? That's the bare minimum to pass.

I don’t think that’s a great analogy. If you’re doing D- work at a job, I have to think you’re getting fired. Quiet quitting is not the equivalent of that poor a job performance.

Our society is slowly turning into a bunch of self centered, entitled, lazy asses, that will gladly let the gub take care of em in exchange for many of our freedoms...... we all know how efficient the gub is, in general.
Parents have been saying this for decades.
Yep......Rome did not fall overnight
I should have expanded on what I was trying to say.

Yeah, the world has changed. But I think we - the main demographic of this message board - have changed more. So now things that we did when we were younger burn us up now. **** has been messed up since humans have had the ability to make decisions.

Whatever we want to rail against now that we have aged has been happening - to one degree or another - since Hector was a pup.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Anybody want to guess who this quote is attributed to?
Me, or @Socrates11, or Einstein

ETA: I know it's either Socrates or Einstein... forget which one. Some old dude.

It is attributed to Socrates, but there's no proof he actually authored the quote. That said, it's from a dissertation of a student from 1907 who was summarizing complaints by Ancient Greeks about the youth of the time.

Our grandkids will complain about their grandkids generation long after we're worm food.
Kenneth John Freeman was the student.

I don’t think that’s a great analogy. If you’re doing D- work at a job, I have to think you’re getting fired. Quiet quitting is not the equivalent of that poor a job performance.
D- is a passing grade though
I don’t know where you work but if I got the equivalent of a D- on a performance review, I’d probably be fired.
Ok then translate it, what’s the lowest passing grade where you work

Elevator mechanic

I’m looking for some specific ideas. Plumbing doesn’t seem good. What is newer that would be good? Something in solar?
Not sure why plumbing doesn't seem good to you. If you're any good at all, you can name your price & hours.

Anyway, I have a friend who caught a really good niche. He hooked up with a couple of large home-builders and his job was to go into new homes installing door/cabinet hardware before closing. He rarely worked more than 20 hours/week and was making $45k/year in the late 1980s. He got lucky some in that one of the builders was small when he first subbed to them, then they blew up a few years later and were building a couple hundred homes per year. But one of the other builders was already huge when he sold his services to them (it was either Ryan, Winchester, or Pulte - I forget which).

Your cost investment was basically whatever a cordless drill went for and petrol. He asked me to join his business to grow it (I had more contacts than he did), but life happened - looking back, I wish we could have made it work. It's clean work and doesn't require a lot of manual labor. I'm 3 years away from Medicare and often think about doing something like this when I retire.

Not sure why plumbing doesn't seem good to you. If you're any good at all, you can name your price & hours.

Anyway, I have a friend who caught a really good niche. He hooked up with a couple of large home-builders and his job was to go into new homes installing door/cabinet hardware before closing. He rarely worked more than 20 hours/week and was making $45k/year in the late 1980s. He got lucky some in that one of the builders was small when he first subbed to them, then they blew up a few years later and were building a couple hundred homes per year. But one of the other builders was already huge when he sold his services to them (it was either Ryan, Winchester, or Pulte - I forget which).

Your cost investment was basically whatever a cordless drill went for and petrol. He asked me to join his business to grow it (I had more contacts than he did), but life happened - looking back, I wish we could have made it work. It's clean work and doesn't require a lot of manual labor. I'm 3 years away from Medicare and often think about doing something like this when I retire.

I have a friend who crushes it as a plumber. Yes, it's hard and often messy work. But for that reason, people pay a lot.

Your last paragraph has been my plan, so here’s to hoping I have the same success you do.

I’m sure plumbing is a good for money but I just can’t imagine dealing with a lot of toilets and drains. Seems unpleasant.

The other thing you mentioned is a good idea. That does remind me of the people who built our shed. It’s basically one guy I think and he has a couple of guys that work with him and he buys the materials from a specific site that you choose them from and then they build it at your place in one day. Can probably make enough to survive by working like one day a week and could be doing decent if you can get a few per week. Kind of similar investment to what you are talking about too.

The insurance company that has insured my business for 30+ years decided to drop me ... not because we've had one small $5k claim in 30 years (storm damage a decade ago) but because we install trailer hitches.
Apparently it's too much of a liability if shops install them wrong and stuff falls off or cars burn up from faulty wiring.
My long time agent called me seeking approval to get quotes from other companies. I told her sure, lets see what our options are.
A couple weeks go by, no call from them. I call her and get the runaround that she's got requests out to a couple of insurance companies, waiting to hear back, but not to worry because my other policy is still good for 6 more weeks.
A month goes by, no call. I call them, she promises to get back to me.
2 months and still no phone call. My insurance is about to expire. I call another agent, they email quotes to me within 2 days and have me signed up in a week.
I never did hear from my long time agent. So strange that they did absolutely nothing to try and keep a quality customer. I DO blame the employee that was handling it.

I have a buddy thats a really good welder that does really well. It’s certainly hands on type of work, but i’m not sure what the learning curve looks like for most.

If you’re handy at all, start up a handyman business. You can hire a older person who can do the plumbing work.

D- is a passing grade though
I don’t know where you work but if I got the equivalent of a D- on a performance review, I’d probably be fired.
Ok then translate it, what’s the lowest passing grade where you work

I would assume anything lower than a C would get someone put on notice, and if no improvement, termination.

But that would be the equivalent of doing the bare minimum not to get fired. My point was that this is not the definition of quiet quitting.

If you’re handy at all, start up a handyman business. You can hire a older person who can do the plumbing work.
Not that I have my finger on the pulse of this segment of the economy or anything, but this definitely seems like an under-served segment of the market. There are lots of people like me who barely know how to use a screwdriver who are now (a) growing older and (b) have the means to outsource this work. It seems like a person could charge enough mark-up on these small jobs to make it work as a retirement gig, but maybe I'm wrong about that. I know of at least one guy in my town whose job is mainly "doing all the deferred maintenance that needs to be done when you're putting your house on the market" and he seems pretty busy, so there's that too.

Not that I have my finger on the pulse of this segment of the economy or anything, but this definitely seems like an under-served segment of the market. There are lots of people like me who barely know how to use a screwdriver who are now (a) growing older and (b) have the means to outsource this work. It seems like a person could charge enough mark-up on these small jobs to make it work as a retirement gig, but maybe I'm wrong about that. I know of at least one guy in my town whose job is mainly "doing all the deferred maintenance that needs to be done when you're putting your house on the market" and he seems pretty busy, so there's that too.
Yep and their dads are getting older and can't stop by to do all the handiwork anymore.

I think I heard Walmart is getting rid of them due it the high levels of theft of people not scanning items.
They are evaluating using a no-scanning option, you roll through with your cart. Stop and cameras will get everything you have in the cart, and then give you your total, you pay and move on. No cashiers necessary.

You can get $50-100/hour and print money. A lot of the well-known handymen and contractors don’t want to mess with smaller jobs.

You can get $50-100/hour and print money. A lot of the well-known handymen and contractors don’t want to mess with smaller jobs.
Really good point. The really good ones do commercial jobs, so they don't have to deal with humans who don't like the bill they just got.

Really good point. The really good ones do commercial jobs, so they don't have to deal with humans who don't like the bill they just got.

Go on the Nextdoor app, people are always looking for a handyman, some of the jobs are so easy also. Really just need tools and maybe a used Sprinter or work van.

Go on the Nextdoor app, people are always looking for a handyman, some of the jobs are so easy also. Really just need tools and maybe a used Sprinter or work van.
I have a brother, a carpenter. Never got his contractor's license. So he cannot pull permits, take big jobs, etc.

He does smaller jobs (others can pull permits for him when he needs them), he does gutter cleaning, he removes nests, he pulls down trees, he plows driveways. He is as busy as he wants to be, and charges more than some others, because his Facebook town groups resume is exceptional. His work can come in waves, there is a plowing season, a gutter season, etc, right? Once you have a little network, you can count on some money every year, at different times

It is NOT the classic plan to make money as a tradesman, most want big jobs with big GC fees, but he's also not exposed. Some homeowner screws him over on a gutter job, whatever. Someone screws over my other brother, who builds houses, it can really sting. And someone always screws you over in that game.

Users who are viewing this thread