What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Older *demented* parents dating/getting remarried (1 Viewer)

Terminalxylem

Footballguy
My mother-in-law passed away 3 years ago, and FIL has lived alone ever since. He’s almost 80, and generally in good health, but has early dementia, manifest by terrible short term memory (left car running in the driveway/parking lot a couple times, for example, and needs to write nearly every bit of new information down, lest he immediately forget). He’s also very quirky, but an extremely kind-hearted, generous man.

A couple of months ago, while at lunch with my wife and I, he announces he’s getting remarried. He had never even mentioned interest in dating, so we were taken aback. It only got worse, when he explained he had only recently reconnected with this woman via email. He hadn’t actually seen her since their single date over 50 years ago, before he married my MIL. And she lives in CO, but neither intended on leaving their home states (he’s in HI).

My wife became tearful, and told him he was being unreasonable. He appeared to know hardly anything about this woman, other than a remote fling, yet was ready for marriage?

Within a few days he “called it off”, in part because he didn’t want to upset my wife, his only child.

Fast forward a month, and my wife receives a call from her maternal cousin, FIL’s niece. She explains an embarrassing conversation she had with him, where he suggested they marry. She quickly dismissed the proposal and ended the call, but contacted us to ensure everything was OK.

Initially floored by her father’s advances on a relative, she and her cousin eventually laughed at the absurdity. FIL played it off when confronted, and the awkwardness of the situation was too much for my wife to pursue further.

And last week, while the wife and I are enjoying a relaxing vacation with friends, she receives a text from her dad. He’s engaged again, this time to a woman he met two weeks ago at dancing class, in which he enrolled while we were away.

She calls him, again emotional, and he tells her to calm down. He goes on to explain he doesn’t have much time left, so can’t “slow down” for a protracted dating period. He wants her to move in ASAP, but they must be married quickly, in part because “the temptation will be too great”. He’s a devoutly religious man, so premarital carnality is verboten.

Yesterday we ate lunch with him, and he brought an unannounced guest…his fiancee. She seemed pretty normal. The conversation was casual, with no talk of pending nuptials. But she didn’t exactly endear herself to my wife, when she offered to style her hair (she previously worked a cosmetologist). Mrs. Xylem took that to mean her hair looked bad.

My wife has come to accept her dad is lonely, and wants him to be happy. Still, she thinks he’s being impulsive, and needs to slow down to get to know this woman better before marriage.

Tl;dr FIL, widowed 3 years ago, abruptly decides he wants to get remarried, with proposals to three separate women in ~3 months. What are your thoughts/experiences with parents getting remarried? How long is an appropriate courtship when you’re nearly 80?

I don't know a ton about dementia, but I'd have concerns about what affect that's having on his decision making and whether this woman may be taking advantage of him. I'd have questions for a woman who is looking to marry an 80 year old with dementia. Is he wealthy?

I don't know a ton about dementia, but I'd have concerns about what affect that's having on his decision making and whether this woman may be taking advantage of him. I'd have questions for a woman who is looking to marry an 80 year old with dementia. Is he wealthy?

This. If he’s proposing to his niece, he is not in command of all his faculties.
Agreed, but its not florid enough to prevent him from exercising free will.

He passed a mini mental status exam within the last couple years, but I suggested more extensive neuropsychiatric eval. He’s not interested, so were kinda stuck.

Also agree. I don’t know the full extent of his finances, but he isnt overtly rich. But he owns a home in HI, unlike the current fiancee, who lives in senior subsidized, low income housing.

Last edited:
Sounds like this thread is more about handling the situation with dementia than general discussion of older parents getting remarried. Not sure there's any way for you all to prevent him from a spontaneous marriage, but is it possible that you can get him to take steps to protect himself financially by giving official ownership of home and other assets to his children? If someone still wants to marry him in a situation where there's no path to substantial financial gain for themselves...then I guess more power to them (and him)?

In all seriousness, you/your wife should possibly look into a POA of some sort to prevent any sort of malfeasance from gold diggers (whether your FIL has anything or not) looking to take advantage of your FIL. The early dementia, the attempted proposal with the cousin, and this rushing into engagements are all cause for concern.

Schtick answer is get the man a fleshlight

My mother-in-law passed away 3 years ago, and FIL has lived alone ever since. He’s almost 80, and generally in good health, but has early dementia,
Surely this plays a role here, right? The behavior you're describing is bizarre. The "engaged by email" thing in particular sounds like it could have been a straight-up scam.

Good luck. This sounds awful, regardless of the cause.

This. If he’s proposing to his niece, he is not in command of all his faculties.

He passed a mini mental status exam within the last couple years, but I suggested more extensive neuropsychiatric eval. He’s not interested, so were kinda stuck.
You're the doctor, and I know nothing about your FIL besides what you've told us, but I just don't buy this. His behavior is telling me that he's no longer using his free will the way normal people do. (That isn't to say that he's not also lonely, of course. Multiple things can be true at once here.)

I recommend your wife or a sibling have a serious conversation with him asap regarding things like financial and health care power of attorney.
It’s just her. She’s already been designated POA for both healthcare and finances. But he is still able to make decisions.

I recommended she delve into his finances more concretely. Previously, he was pretty vague/secretive, in part because he gives a lot (?too much) to the catholic church. His financial advisor hinted as much, at yet another long lunch, without divulging specifics.

Ideally, she’d be added to his accounts, and we would take over his finances. Although he’s functioning high enough atm, I don’t think his decision making is gonna improve with time.

But at this point, he’s not demented enough to do stuff against his will.

You're the doctor, and I know nothing about your FIL besides what you've told us, but I just don't buy this. His behavior is telling me that he's no longer using his free will the way normal people do. (That isn't to say that he's not also lonely, of course. Multiple things can be true at once here.)
You can be goofy and impulsive, with poor short term memory, yet still functioning enough to live and make decisions independently.

Only when you demonstrate profound lack of self care, or pose an imminent threat to yourself/others are surrogates asked to step in.

A POA just isn't enough. It only gives Mrs Xylem the ability to make his decisions if he can't. Ideally, she needs guardianship. He would still be able to make his own choices, but she could override any terrible ones. (I don't know what your local state laws are.) You really need to act quickly to protect him. At the moment, he is very vulnerable to elder abuse. I would guess dementia has adversely affected his executive functioning.

Good luck.

Well we’ll need to see :pics: of the niece before we jump to a diagnosis, doctor.

You can be goofy and impulsive, with poor short term memory, yet still functioning enough to live and make decisions independently.

Only when you demonstrate profound lack of self care, or pose an imminent threat to yourself/others are surrogates asked to step in.
The problem with waiting is that is does take away his choices. And by the time he reaches that stage, it may be too late to help.

My mother-in-law passed away 3 years ago, and FIL has lived alone ever since. He’s almost 80, and generally in good health, but has early dementia, manifest by terrible short term memory (left car running in the driveway/parking lot a couple times, for example, and needs to write nearly every bit of new information down, lest he immediately forget). He’s also very quirky, but an extremely kind-hearted, generous man.

A couple of months ago, while at lunch with my wife and I, he announces he’s getting remarried. He had never even mentioned interest in dating, so we were taken aback. It only got worse, when he explained he had only recently reconnected with this woman via email. He hadn’t actually seen her since their single date over 50 years ago, before he married my MIL. And she lives in CO, but neither intended on leaving their home states (he’s in HI).

My wife became tearful, and told him he was being unreasonable. He appeared to know hardly anything about this woman, other than a remote fling, yet was ready for marriage?

Within a few days he “called it off”, in part because he didn’t want to upset my wife, his only child.

Fast forward a month, and my wife receives a call from her maternal cousin, FIL’s niece. She explains an embarrassing conversation she had with him, where he suggested they marry. She quickly dismissed the proposal and ended the call, but contacted us to ensure everything was OK.

Initially floored by her father’s advances on a relative, she and her cousin eventually laughed at the absurdity. FIL played it off when confronted, and the awkwardness of the situation was too much for my wife to pursue further.

And last week, while the wife and I are enjoying a relaxing vacation with friends, she receives a text from her dad. He’s engaged again, this time to a woman he met two weeks ago at dancing class, in which he enrolled while we were away.

She calls him, again emotional, and he tells her to calm down. He goes on to explain he doesn’t have much time left, so can’t “slow down” for a protracted dating period. He wants her to move in ASAP, but they must be married quickly, in part because “the temptation will be too great”. He’s a devoutly religious man, so premarital carnality is verboten.

Yesterday we ate lunch with him, and he brought an unannounced guest…his fiancee. She seemed pretty normal. The conversation was casual, with no talk of pending nuptials. But she didn’t exactly endear herself to my wife, when she offered to style her hair (she previously worked a cosmetologist). Mrs. Xylem took that to mean her hair looked bad.

My wife has come to accept her dad is lonely, and wants him to be happy. Still, she thinks he’s being impulsive, and needs to slow down to get to know this woman better before marriage.

Tl;dr FIL, widowed 3 years ago, abruptly decides he wants to get remarried, with proposals to three separate women in ~3 months. What are your thoughts/experiences with parents getting remarried? How long is an appropriate courtship when you’re nearly 80?
prenup

I recommend your wife or a sibling have a serious conversation with him asap regarding things like financial and health care power of attorney.
It’s just her. She’s already been designated POA for both healthcare and finances. But he is still able to make decisions.

I recommended she delve into his finances more concretely. Previously, he was pretty vague/secretive, in part because he gives a lot (?too much) to the catholic church. His financial advisor hinted as much, at yet another long lunch, without divulging specifics.

Ideally, she’d be added to his accounts, and we would take over his finances. Although he’s functioning high enough atm, I don’t think his decision making is gonna improve with time.

my parents are very open about the passing of the torch to my sister and me. they invited me to dinner with their banker where the conversation was basically all about what would happen when they die. and did i have any questions. :mellow: :oldunsure: talk about awkward :lmao: and IMHO, its a good conversation to have. my FIL died with zero will, instructions, etc. my wife was named executor. which meant i was the executor. there were 5 siblings. 2 were very uncooperative. good times.

The problem with waiting is that is does take away his choices. And by the time he reaches that stage, it may be too late to help.
I understand. Need to hope my wife can reason with him, while he still is somewhat reason-able.

I'm for any 80 yo who wants to get his groove on.

Draw up a prenup and let him sow his oats.
It’s definitely an interesting wrinkle to losing his mind.

Though he’s taking it to an extreme, I kinda agree about not wasting time on courtship. His marriage was probably non-intimate for years, and libido tends to have a shorter shelf life for women.

my parents are very open about the passing of the torch to my sister and me. they invited me to dinner with their banker where the conversation was basically all about what would happen when they die. and did i have any questions. :mellow: :oldunsure: talk about awkward :lmao: and IMHO, its a good conversation to have. my FIL died with zero will, instructions, etc. my wife was named executor. which meant i was the executor. there were 5 siblings. 2 were very uncooperative. good times.
Coincidentally, my wife and I are estate planning now as well. Without kids and a small family, it’s simultaneously easy, yet difficult to figure out the line of succession and decision making.

Well we’ll need to see :pics: of the niece before we jump to a diagnosis, doctor.
FWIW, the potential gold digger looks better than his attempt at incest.

Coincidentally, my wife and I are estate planning now as well. Without kids and a small family, it’s simultaneously easy, yet difficult to figure out the line of succession and decision making.
if you'd like my kid's info, let me know. at least she skis.

I'm for any 80 yo who wants to get his groove on.

Draw up a prenup and let him sow his oats.
It’s definitely an interesting wrinkle to losing his mind.

Though he’s taking it to an extreme, I kinda agree about not wasting time on courtship. His marriage was probably non-intimate for years, and libido tends to have a shorter shelf life for women.
This reminds me of what happened with Sandra Day O'Connor's husband.

I've been professionally involved in similar situations. These can be very challenging, and the best guidance can probably only be given by a family law attorney licensed in the father-in-law's jurisdiction in conjunction with your FIL's doctors.

Regarding the dementia, is that a documented diagnosis? Has he been given the "Sage" test and would he pass?

On somewhat related notes, does your FIL have a pretty sound estate plan? Do you have an estimate of his estate? Would he be open to a prenuptial agreement? If the answer to the latter question is yes, that is probably the easiest solution to this problem.

Well, depending on the laws of his state, there may be an avenue to force a guardianship/conservatorship of some sort and force a more thorough exam at a place like the Cleveland clinic.

I think getting engaged to a woman you had a date with 50 years ago, proposing to your niece and getting engaged to a woman you met in dance class 3 weeks ago qualifies as a significant enough red flag to question someone’s capability/competency of exercising their agency.

The question is: is your wife concerned enough to push the issue and risk alienating and pissing off her dad? It sounds like a horrible situation, but I’d definitely be looking into my legal options of limiting his ability to enter into any sort of contractual agreement.

He is 80, owns a home in HI and has a financial advisor. And he is lonely enough that he has given in to the impulse to get engaged at least 3 times in the last however many weeks. He is ripe to be taken advantage of, unfortunately.

I've been professionally involved in similar situations. These can be very challenging, and the best guidance can probably only be given by a family law attorney licensed in the father-in-law's jurisdiction in conjunction with your FIL's doctors.

Regarding the dementia, is that a documented diagnosis? Has he been given the "Sage" test and would he pass?

On somewhat related notes, does your FIL have a pretty sound estate plan? Do you have an estimate of his estate? Would he be open to a prenuptial agreement? If the answer to the latter question is yes, that is probably the easiest solution to this problem.
No formal dementia diagnosis, and he passed a a dementia screen (MMSE, no idea what a “sage test“ is) within the last couple years. And yes, he has an estate plan, though I’ve not seen it.

Pre-nup has come up in discussions between my wife and I, but hasn’t been broached with her dad. Fortunately, my wife’s best friend practices family law.

It sounds like your FIL might be diagnosed with dementia, prossibly due to Alzheimer's Disease, If he went to a doctor who has experience in the field. That's a medical diagnosis, but I think the relevant legal terms are capacity and sound mind. There's plenty of good legal advice in here.

I think your FIL and wife would also benefit from a social worker who could help navigate services that could make their lives manageable now and in the future. Your FIL may be able to live independently longer with some help at home.

My FIL in his 80s was a mess and ended up giving away half of his remaining retirement savings ($80k) to a scammer he met on adult finder.

She sent him a picture, my wife and I proved to him that it was a photo of an actress, but he still sent the money. Along with copies of his passport and other sensitive info that ended in my wife having to fight that he had his identity stolen.

I pushed her repeatedly to have him declared incompetent but in the end she didn’t want to do that to him. It caused a lot of stress on our family and our relationship as she spent about two years dealing with him and his nonsense before he finally passed.

It got so bad that I was glad he passed which is a horrible spot to get to 😕

One of the biggest challenges was the line between what is a bad decision, which people are allowed to make, versus what is proof that you don’t have your mental capacities.

To me the proposal to a family member crosses that line definitively.

That sucks.

My grandma died when my grandpa was 80. Because of finance issues he did not want to remarry, but he had a long term girlfriend that was basically his wife except they still kept their own houses and just rotated between them. She passed away last year and my grandpa at 92 years old now I think he is too old to date.

Obviously you would want him to be happy if dating allowed that, but at that age it is better to keep finances separate.

UPDATE:

Last week, FIL saw his primary physician, who performed a SLUMS evaluation for dementia. He scored 17/30. Less than 20 is demented. Follow up pending with geriatrics.

Yesterday, FIL went with his fiancee to the Department of Health, originally to obtain records of her prior marriage and divorce. When they got there, she refused to obtain her paperwork, unless he provided his marriage/divorce records, which he requested. Unclear if she requested any old records; instead, she convinced him to apply for a marriage license. That said, he claims he still needs her records, to petition the church to get her prior marriage annulled, consistent with his Catholic beliefs. Nonetheless, he tentatively announced wedding plans mid-March.

Meanwhile, my wife's friend, the family lawyer, looked up his fiancee's background. She has been divorced twice, most recently in HI about 20 years ago. She was ~20 years younger than her 2nd husband, and they were only married for a year or so. During that time, she reportedly demanded ownership of his home, and we he refused, kicked him out of the house. Subsequently, he lived outside, on his property in a tent and a cave(!). He also filed a TRO. She requested alimony, which was denied, and she refused to disclose her finances at the divorce hearing.

As we coincidentally had an appointment for our own estate planning, we asked our lawyer to review his trust and power of attorney documents. She said they are outdated, but was particularly concerned the healthcare/financial power of attorney only listed my deceased mother-in-law. So now we're trying to convince him to review the documents, and add my wife to the POA, at the minimum. My wife also had her name added to both his bank accounts today.

We just had lunch, telling him what we had found out about his fiancee, but he wasn't interested. He insists he "knows her" well enough to proceed with the wedding, once her prior divorce is Catholic cleansed.

What's the next move?

UPDATE:

Last week, FIL saw his primary physician, who performed a SLUMS evaluation for dementia. He scored 17/30. Less than 20 is demented. Follow up pending with geriatrics.

Yesterday, FIL went with his fiancee to the Department of Health, originally to obtain records of her prior marriage and divorce. When they got there, she refused to obtain her paperwork, unless he provided his marriage/divorce records, which he requested. Unclear if she requested any old records; instead, she convinced him to apply for a marriage license. That said, he claims he still needs her records, to petition the church to get her prior marriage annulled, consistent with his Catholic beliefs. Nonetheless, he tentatively announced wedding plans mid-March.

Meanwhile, my wife's friend, the family lawyer, looked up his fiancee's background. She has been divorced twice, most recently in HI about 20 years ago. She was ~20 years younger than her 2nd husband, and they were only married for a year or so. During that time, she reportedly demanded ownership of his home, and we he refused, kicked him out of the house. Subsequently, he lived outside, on his property in a tent and a cave(!). He also filed a TRO. She requested alimony, which was denied, and she refused to disclose her finances at the divorce hearing.

As we coincidentally had an appointment for our own estate planning, we asked our lawyer to review his trust and power of attorney documents. She said they are outdated, but was particularly concerned the healthcare/financial power of attorney only listed my deceased mother-in-law. So now we're trying to convince him to review the documents, and add my wife to the POA, at the minimum. My wife also had her name added to both his bank accounts today.

We just had lunch, telling him what we had found out about his fiancee, but he wasn't interested. He insists he "knows her" well enough to proceed with the wedding, once her prior divorce is Catholic cleansed.

What's the next move?
If he’s attending a church, get the priest on board. He needs guidance/help. Maybe he’ll listen to his priest since the church seems to be very important to him.

And I would stop tiptoeing around. Not that you are, but simple blunt conversations need to happen.

And, once again, prenup.

Wow. I really have no idea what to suggest to you, Terminalxylem. I'll just wish you luck. I think DA RAIDERS had a really good idea. If he still feels fidelity to the Church, then maybe the Church can guide him if they know what the scoop is. I wouldn't expect too much from them—and you might get a weird answer about God's plan or God's hands, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Wow. I really have no idea what to suggest to you, Terminalxylem. I'll just wish you luck. I think DA RAIDERS had a really good idea. If he still feels fidelity to the Church, then maybe the Church can guide him if they know what the scoop is. I wouldn't expect too much from them—and you might get a weird answer about God's plan or God's hands, but it couldn't hurt to try.
Yep. I had already advised my wife to talk to his priest. But like you, I’m not expecting much.

We haven’t broached the topic of a prenuptial agreement yet.

Yep. I had already advised my wife to talk to his priest. But like you, I’m not expecting much.

We haven’t broached the topic of a prenuptial agreement yet.
I would expect more here. This is important to the Church. I would see the priest in advance and ask for as much delay as possible. Delay is your buddy. Maybe get the bishop involved. (I don't know what parish you are in.) If you can get the priest to require pre-marrital counseling, that is more delay.

I also was going to suggest speaking to the church. I would also caution against being to overwhelming with all the paperwork changes - only you know your situation but sometimes folks get (understandably) paranoid that everyone is after their money.

My heart goes out to you. Really.

Also- Not trying to bag on Term here-

This is a reminder to all of us to have these tough conversations earlier in life.

I need to have this talk with my mother before we’re too far down the road.

This woman met Term's FIL in church?
Has a history of doing this before.
FIL has failed a dementia test at family doctor.

I would absolutely talk to the church.

I would also talk to the county clerk or whoever gives out marriage licenses in your area. They may have some insight on what to do legally.

Now I wonder how this works going forward. If the FIL has been tested and confirmed that he’s at minimum, borderline dementia impaired- can he still make lasting financial decisions?

I also was going to suggest speaking to the church. I would also caution against being to overwhelming with all the paperwork changes - only you know your situation but sometimes folks get (understandably) paranoid that everyone is after their money.

My heart goes out to you. Really.

Also- Not trying to bag on Term here-

This is a reminder to all of us to have these tough conversations earlier in life.

I need to have this talk with my mother before we’re too far down the road.
I am concerned he will clam up/refuse to cooperate, out of paranoid suspicion, but we also need to act quickly.

And it doesn't help that my wife just started her seven-day work stretch, when she she typically works 90-100+ hours. I also start today, with a much more reasonable 70-hour work week. Either way, not much extracurricular stuff will happen in the next 7 days.

As to having the tough conversations, I implored my wife to start this process years ago, shortly after his wife died, and his memory loss become noticeable. Like a lot of elderly couples, they were offsetting each others shortcomings.

Anyway, it was too emotionally difficult for her then, but it's rapidly snowballing now. But you're absolutely correct; one should address things before problems arise.

Now I wonder how this works going forward. If the FIL has been tested and confirmed that he’s at minimum, borderline dementia impaired- can he still make lasting financial decisions?
That's the key question, the answer to which I don't know. The geriatrics evaluation will be extremely important, though we haven't heard back from them yet, so I'll at least hound my wife to follow up on scheduling.

Is there any laws in Hawaii that say people with dementia that file for a marriage license requires a pre-nup????

Users who are viewing this thread