What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the weirdest thing your dog does? (1 Viewer)

One of my dogs will get within inch or two of face and lick near face, but not actually lick face. He also has the “night barks” where he will look at living room window with curtain down and just bark at the window (maybe sees a reflection or something in the window that does not like). If it is completely dark, he will not bark. More just something about lights in the night.

Our current 4 year old Teddy Bear sniffs her privates while peeing and pooping every single time she goes almost to the point where she is gonna get it on her, then finishes up, walks a little then smells them again. She will also do this when she gets scared of something. I've had 10 dogs in my lifetime and i've never had a dog smell themselves like she does.

Golden Doodle.

She barks aggressively, from inside the house, at any passersby, animal, pet, child, etc. that she could see outside of our glass door. This is problematic and annoying* as our backyard abuts a golf hole so we have golfers and walkers regularly as well as routinely getting all sorts of animals like deer, elk, javelina, etc.

But, last night, a mouse gets into our house. Stupid dog is oblivious to it and was absolutely no help and just stared at us when we were trying to get the dog to flush the mouse out from under our couch.

*Which has led to a couple of arguments with Mrs. Woz who refuses to utilize a bark collar.

This was amazing to my wife and I this weekend. We have a mutt...Not sure really what he is. He's about 2.5 now, maybe 90 lbs. Smart. Very smart.
So...pretty regularly we order chinese food on sundays. Not every one, but a fair amount. And sometimes(Not always) I will take the dog for the ride.
This weekend I ordered, and all of a sudden the dog was going loco. Wife and I were like what the hell is wrong with him. He KNEW I had ordered chinese food and was excited and basically begging to go along. We were like wow..That's a smart dog

This was amazing to my wife and I this weekend. We have a mutt...Not sure really what he is. He's about 2.5 now, maybe 90 lbs. Smart. Very smart.
So...pretty regularly we order chinese food on sundays. Not every one, but a fair amount. And sometimes(Not always) I will take the dog for the ride.
This weekend I ordered, and all of a sudden the dog was going loco. Wife and I were like what the hell is wrong with him. He KNEW I had ordered chinese food and was excited and basically begging to go along. We were like wow..That's a smart dog
My dog thinks every time I put on sneakers she thinks we are going for a walk :lol: she goes crazy then i feel bad when shes staring at me from the front window as i leave lol

My dog thinks every time I put on sneakers she thinks we are going for a walk :lol: she goes crazy then i feel bad when shes staring at me from the front window as i leave lol
Oh for sure that too. Just so weird he knew after I called the Chinese place. That was next level

*Which has led to a couple of arguments with Mrs. Woz who refuses to utilize a bark collar.

Not a fan of bark collars, but I'm maybe hyper-sensitive and gentle with animals. The family member who's had the 4 boxers is a legit dog whisperer to me. She retired and pretty much became a full time volunteer at rescues. She's a bit much, but with a little time, she'd stop the barking. She did it for a very loud Cane Corso another family member owned. That dog would lose his mind if the wind blew outside. Anyone walking by, etc. Take her for a walk and she loved everybody and every other dog. But in her home she was over-protective or maybe frightened.

The process is teaching two commands. The first one surprisingly is speak. Pretty easy, all my dogs have learned it. Once your dog will bark on command, you teach the second, quiet or shh. It's work but it was necessary with the Cane Corso.

I do like the idea of shock collars for humans though.

Not sure which one is the weird one, but...

Our 14 YO Dobie mix that passed in December was a morning dude. My alarm goes off at 4:00AM, he's sprinting to the back door ready to party. Many days, 4:00 wasn't early enough for him and that big goober was waking me up at 2 or 3.

We adopted a 1 YO pit about a month ago, and she is absolutely not a morning girl. If the sun ain't up, the only thing this girl wants to do is snuggle in bed with my wife. We've come up with a routine that works to get her to go out in the early morning, but it takes a lot of coaxing. Like a kid that doesn't want to get up to go to school.

We adopted a 1 YO pit about a month ago, and she is absolutely not a morning girl. If the sun ain't up, the only thing this girl wants to do is snuggle in bed with my wife. We've come up with a routine that works to get her to go out in the early morning, but it takes a lot of coaxing. Like a kid that doesn't want to get up to go to school.

Just wanted say thanks for saving a pit and there's not enough dobies in the funny pet videos. They're hilarious. Pits do well in the videos often because of the things they're frightened of, like the family cat. I saw a cat guarding the stairs about halfway up, the owner calling for the pit to come upstairs, and the pit shaking in fear because of the cat. Finally, he slowly creeps backwards up the stairs with his head turned away, like maybe he thinks that makes him invisible to the cat. The cat swats him in the face and the pit flies down the stairs crying like he's been mortally wounded. :lol:

And I'm sure you'd save your dog over the human stranger from drowning.

I would not. Because dogs aren't people. And that's probably why I don't mind bark collars (ours isn't a shock collar but the one that emits the smelly stuff).

I would not. Because dogs aren't people. And that's probably why I don't mind bark collars (ours isn't a shock collar but the one that emits the smelly stuff).

Found a perfect vid explaining the process. Fwiw, a collar did not work on the Cane Corso but this did.

And you're wrong and maybe a little insulting. Of course, I'd save the human. It was a joke. Maybe your barking dog and wifey argument has you a little on edge here. :shrug:

Good luck with the barker however you try to solve it. (y)

Found a perfect vid explaining the process. Fwiw, a collar did not work on the Cane Corso but this did.

And you're wrong and maybe a little insulting. Of course, I'd save the human. It was a joke. Maybe your barking dog and wifey argument has you a little on edge here. :shrug:

Good luck with the barker however you try to solve it. (y)
I thought I was returning your humor with similar humor.

The corgi I had when I was a kid used to attack sliding glass doors opening/closing and tape measures that were retracting. Would straight up bite them, I was always worried he'd lose a tooth on the door or cut his tongue on the tape.

My current husky mix doesn't do too much weird stuff, but that's probably because I walk him for at least 90 minutes every day so he gets stimulation and exercise. I did get him a pretty sweet Orvis "recovery bed" for my office, which is a shed in the backyard. Every weekday morning I head out the back door and say "let's go to work!" and he follows me out and chills on that bed most of the day.

I have a boxer.

So the answer is everything he does.
i mentioned above i watch funny pet videos. boxers are the 3rd funniest dogs. that's not a bad thing because, frenchies and huskies are just insane. boxers are hilarious. i've never had one but there's been 4 in my family. not just comedians, also awesome dogs.

also for a good chuckle just youtube cats and cucumbers.
What the hell?

Golden Doodle.

Zow, we have a 5yr old mini GD F1B... Moved to France into an apartment building, and this thing would not stop barking (she's only ever lived in a house) so noises would set her off of people in the staircase etc. She also would have barking fits when we left the house and she was alone. or when looking out the window and birds were sitting in it (2nd level)

I have been AVIDLY against bark collars my whole life, but we were left with little/no choice and bought one. I was almost in tears at the thought of it. Lost sleep over it til we finally used it.

Not only did she stop barking almost immediately, she's much calmer overall. No change in attitude etc she just doesn't bark with the collar on at all, and will still bark with it off if a doorbell rings or whatever... But the barking at the birds in the trees and noises has almost completely stopped.

She also wags her tail when I pull out the collar when I leave the house and presents her neck. I genuinely feel like it may have been good for her and even she knows it.

Just wanted say thanks for saving a pit and there's not enough dobies in the funny pet videos. They're hilarious. Pits do well in the videos often because of the things they're frightened of, like the family cat. I saw a cat guarding the stairs about halfway up, the owner calling for the pit to come upstairs, and the pit shaking in fear because of the cat. Finally, he slowly creeps backwards up the stairs with his head turned away, like maybe he thinks that makes him invisible to the cat. The cat swats him in the face and the pit flies down the stairs crying like he's been mortally wound
That's funny. When we brought her home, within 10 seconds one of our cats swatted her in the face.

I hate to admit, but I was pretty hesitant about adopting a pit. Hypocritical of me, as our previous dog was also a breed that has faced some negative perception. But we agreed to meet her because the Humane Society said she was good with adults, kids, dogs, and cats. Meeting her wasn't some magical meeting. She is really timid around new people. Not good for getting a dog adopted. Not an aggressive timid, just very shy. First meeting, after a few minutes, she would take treats from us, but that was about it. Humane society people and her foster family swore was an absolute sweetheart that just took a little bit to open up. Also said she's good in the house, doesn't bark much or tear stuff up. Took a bit of a leap of faith based on what they were telling us. Even just getting her home was tricky. Aside from being scared of new people, she is absolutely petrified of cars. After all the paperwork and everything, we're sitting in the parking lot with her and a Humane Society worker, she's absolutely NOT getting in the car. I did gain a little confidence when the Humane Society worker said, "look, do you mind if I just pick her up and put her in your car?" For her to confidently pick up this terrified pitbull and put her in a place she didn't want to go showed how sure she was that she didn't get aggressive when scared.

We thought if we give her chance maybe she's just a great dog. And so far that's turned out to be the case. She's a really awesome sweet girl. In the first 2 weeks with us, she met about 20 different people in our home, including 2 kids under 2. With everybody, she runs away at first. But after about 5 minutes and some treats, she's cool.

Still working on the car thing. Still terrified. Working on it, but still terrified. We had a vet appointment after about a week. She's not getting in the car herself, but she'll let you pick her up and put her in. She did much better at the vet than I thought she would. Apparently, when there are other dogs around, she's so excited that she doesn't even notice all the new scary humans. At the vet, she's good with all the poking and prodding, checking of teeth, etc. Got a little scared, but as has been her norm, when she's scared, she backs away but never gets aggressive.

Anyway, she seems to be an awesome dog for all those things, and many more. Super sweet cuddle bug. She has the instinct that all the great dogs have. She understands that we're all in this together. When you ask her to do something, or not do something, she wants to do right. She understands that these humans love me and will take care of me, so there's an endless amount of treats and belly rubs, and it makes sense to do what they ask.

As an aside, our homeowner's insurance company did drop us when they found out her breed. They found out because I told them, even though the agent clearly didn't want me to. After all the pre-judging I did with her myself, I wasn't going to lie to to our insurance company. She is who she is, and if an insurance company isn't okay with that, then we can't do business. Turns out they weren't. One of my favorite customers is a State Farm agent. State Farm doesn't care about a dog's breed, only what they do. I switched to them expecting to pay more, but I actually ended up saving $500 a year between the home and auto.

The concept of telling my insurance company what kind of dog I have or don’t have is as foreign to me as the old thread/poll here about using warm water to brush your teeth.

The concept of telling my insurance company what kind of dog I have or don’t have is as foreign to me as the old thread/poll here about using warm water to brush your teeth.
I've come to find that many insurance companies don't care. But our old one does. They've cashed $55,000 of premium checks from me over the last 9 years, between the home and business. They liked me and I liked them.

But some companies do care about this.

I would have lied but our previous dog was Dobie mix. Mixed enough that a reasonable person could say they didn't know what the breed was. Not so with our pitty girl. Also this is an old school insurance company that does drive-bys. My niece and her dog lived with us for 3 years. They did a drive-by, and contacted me saying there's only one dog on your policy but we noticed two dogs in your backyard.

Just wanted say thanks for saving a pit and there's not enough dobies in the funny pet videos. They're hilarious. Pits do well in the videos often because of the things they're frightened of, like the family cat. I saw a cat guarding the stairs about halfway up, the owner calling for the pit to come upstairs, and the pit shaking in fear because of the cat. Finally, he slowly creeps backwards up the stairs with his head turned away, like maybe he thinks that makes him invisible to the cat. The cat swats him in the face and the pit flies down the stairs crying like he's been mortally wound
That's funny. When we brought her home, within 10 seconds one of our cats swatted her in the face.

I hate to admit, but I was pretty hesitant about adopting a pit. Hypocritical of me, as our previous dog was also a breed that has faced some negative perception. But we agreed to meet her because the Humane Society said she was good with adults, kids, dogs, and cats. Meeting her wasn't some magical meeting. She is really timid around new people. Not good for getting a dog adopted. Not an aggressive timid, just very shy. First meeting, after a few minutes, she would take treats from us, but that was about it. Humane society people and her foster family swore was an absolute sweetheart that just took a little bit to open up. Also said she's good in the house, doesn't bark much or tear stuff up. Took a bit of a leap of faith based on what they were telling us. Even just getting her home was tricky. Aside from being scared of new people, she is absolutely petrified of cars. After all the paperwork and everything, we're sitting in the parking lot with her and a Humane Society worker, she's absolutely NOT getting in the car. I did gain a little confidence when the Humane Society worker said, "look, do you mind if I just pick her up and put her in your car?" For her to confidently pick up this terrified pitbull and put her in a place she didn't want to go showed how sure she was that she didn't get aggressive when scared.

We thought if we give her chance maybe she's just a great dog. And so far that's turned out to be the case. She's a really awesome sweet girl. In the first 2 weeks with us, she met about 20 different people in our home, including 2 kids under 2. With everybody, she runs away at first. But after about 5 minutes and some treats, she's cool.

Still working on the car thing. Still terrified. Working on it, but still terrified. We had a vet appointment after about a week. She's not getting in the car herself, but she'll let you pick her up and put her in. She did much better at the vet than I thought she would. Apparently, when there are other dogs around, she's so excited that she doesn't even notice all the new scary humans. At the vet, she's good with all the poking and prodding, checking of teeth, etc. Got a little scared, but as has been her norm, when she's scared, she backs away but never gets aggressive.

Anyway, she seems to be an awesome dog for all those things, and many more. Super sweet cuddle bug. She has the instinct that all the great dogs have. She understands that we're all in this together. When you ask her to do something, or not do something, she wants to do right. She understands that these humans love me and will take care of me, so there's an endless amount of treats and belly rubs, and it makes sense to do what they ask.

As an aside, our homeowner's insurance company did drop us when they found out her breed. They found out because I told them, even though the agent clearly didn't want me to. After all the pre-judging I did with her myself, I wasn't going to lie to to our insurance company. She is who she is, and if an insurance company isn't okay with that, then we can't do business. Turns out they weren't. One of my favorite customers is a State Farm agent. State Farm doesn't care about a dog's breed, only what they do. I switched to them expecting to pay more, but I actually ended up saving $500 a year between the home and auto.

Love the Humane Society rescue, good for you! That's where we got our husky mix as well. We went in thinking it would take a while to figure out what we wanted, determining a good fit, etc. I figured it'd take several months. The very first visit it was all pit mixes, chihuahuas, old/impaired dogs...and a 1 year old husky mix. We spent some time with him, and he was obviously smart, seemed trainable, but super anxious. They told us if we haven't had a husky before to do research on the breed first to ensure we knew what we were getting in to.

So we put a 24 hour hold on him and I went home and started googling. Husky destroyed my couch. Husky ate my cat. Husky jumped my 6 foot fence. Husky figured out how to open a door and constantly escapes. Husky figured out how to open the fridge and eats things he shouldn't. Holy ****! But we went back with my daughter the next day and spent another couple of hours with him, and we adopted him that day. I was reminded of all this by your story about getting yours in the car. Similar thing, it took two of us to lift him in, and my lady sat in the back with him while he shook the entire ride home.

It was rough for the first few months, he had severe separation anxiety. We started by literally going out the front door and waiting for a minute before going back in, while he barked and whined and clawed at the door inside. We slowly extended that time until we could run an errand and leave him for 30 minutes. It was probably a year before we left him alone for longer than an hour. But he's pretty good with that now, although if we are going to be gone in the evening for six-seven hours (like a tailgate and football game) we usually hire a dog sitter. And he's been an amazing dog. Tore up a pillow - once. Tried to escape from the yard by digging under the fence - once. He has a ton of energy and requires daily double walks, but as long as he gets that stimulation he behaves really well.

On the insurance front did you get umbrella insurance? I know it's recommended for owners of certain dog breeds, and I've definitely considered it.

Still working on the car thing. Still terrified. Working on it, but still terrified. We had a vet appointment after about a week. She's not getting in the car herself, but she'll let you pick her up and put her in.
Can you put her in a crate and then put the crate in the car? Maybe that would make her feel better about the experience.

to answer the topic, Id say the weirdest thing she does is goes to get a drink everytime we turn on Netflix and the "netflix sound" appears.

we only ever watch TV at night, so it's around 9pm... she gets up, drinks... comes back to the family room. scratches both sides of her mouth. and comes up to snuggle.

it's almost instantaneous w the sound

Our 8 year old female Labradoodle is a sweetheart but a freak. She and her brother were the alphas of the litter, which may explain some things, or it’s just her breed, personality or both. Not sure.

Even though we went through socialization training as a pup, it didn’t work and she is a terrible walker. Gets all worked up seeing people, dogs, cars, etc. never mean or truly aggressive, just flips out and works herself up. Almost like anxiety is triggered. Like she may just be scared but fronts by barking and acting tough. Definitely not one to back down.

Off leash she’s better but she definitely needs to be on leash because in addition to flipping out regularly she also is a nose to the ground sniffer and just follows the scent of anything, anywhere; including in traffic. Just seemingly oblivious to everything, including me. All that sucks because she needs the exercise so we have to find paths that no one uses to be alone. She’s not going to change and it’s a hassle wrangling her and apologizing to everyone.

The freakiest thing she does is hump our youngest kid. It’s kind of hilarious, but completely weird, wrong and embarrassing at the same time. My guess is it’s some form of domination. Never does it to me.. she just lets her freak flag fly with my daughter. who’s 17 now and not even a kid. Never heard of a female full on mounting and humping, but she does it. This usually happens when something physical is going on like roughhousing or exercising on the floor. That seems to trigger it. My kid is a good sport about it and laughs it off but it’s really weird.

Other than that, she’s smart, kind, quiet, gentle and loving . Many more positives than negatives. Just a bizarre dichotomy.

I don't think it's weird because he's done it forever but I get a lot of comments about it. When I'm going into a store or stop to talk to people in the park, Lou will jump up into my arms. From a standing start at my feet, he can get his butt up to around my waist level so I can scoop him up with one arm and hoist him up over my shoulder. He's very content up there and definitely squirms less than my kids used to when they were 11 pounds. Lou usually waits on his leap until we've made eye contact but he's surprised me a couple of times. Can't remember the last time I dropped him though.

Adoption - People need to know that most of the time the dog you meet at the shelter and even take home isn’t the same dog it will be after a week or two. They are often under great stress at these shelters. This goes both ways behaviorally.

Just something to consider when meeting these dogs.

Love the Humane Society rescue, good for you! That's where we got our husky mix as well. We went in thinking it would take a while to figure out what we wanted, determining a good fit, etc. I figured it'd take several months. The very first visit it was all pit mixes, chihuahuas, old/impaired dogs...and a 1 year old husky mix. We spent some time with him, and he was obviously smart, seemed trainable, but super anxious. They told us if we haven't had a husky before to do research on the breed first to ensure we knew what we were getting in to.

So we put a 24 hour hold on him and I went home and started googling. Husky destroyed my couch. Husky ate my cat. Husky jumped my 6 foot fence. Husky figured out how to open a door and constantly escapes. Husky figured out how to open the fridge and eats things he shouldn't. Holy ****! But we went back with my daughter the next day and spent another couple of hours with him, and we adopted him that day. I was reminded of all this by your story about getting yours in the car. Similar thing, it took two of us to lift him in, and my lady sat in the back with him while he shook the entire ride home.

It was rough for the first few months, he had severe separation anxiety. We started by literally going out the front door and waiting for a minute before going back in, while he barked and whined and clawed at the door inside. We slowly extended that time until we could run an errand and leave him for 30 minutes. It was probably a year before we left him alone for longer than an hour. But he's pretty good with that now, although if we are going to be gone in the evening for six-seven hours (like a tailgate and football game) we usually hire a dog sitter. And he's been an amazing dog. Tore up a pillow - once. Tried to escape from the yard by digging under the fence - once. He has a ton of energy and requires daily double walks, but as long as he gets that stimulation he behaves really well.

On the insurance front did you get umbrella insurance? I know it's recommended for owners of certain dog breeds, and I've definitely considered it.

Huskys are weirdos. I love them but most that I have interacted with are completely nuts.

That's awesome. I've never spent much time around huskies, but it seems like people that have them love them. I'm probably not active enough (read: too lazy) for a husky or true high energy dog. Get the zoomies out in the back yard while I drink beer, and then mostly be a couch potato is more my speed.

We did get the umbrella policy, which I just needed to do anyway. State Farm came in really reasonable on that too, I think. ($133/yr for a million dollar policy).

Users who are viewing this thread