What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thread---Marital Advice (1 Viewer)

A few years shy of 40 years married. Yesterday I got a text about shooting some pool after work but I didn't reply right away because I wanted to let my wife know first. It's just the courteous thing to do. :shrug:
Ok but credit is where it's due. Couple buddies wanted to go to a concert, and wanted it to be just the guys. I had same day timing to reply because the seats were filling up. I declined. Told them and the wife I didn't want to do that without talking to her about it first. Got no credit for that.
If you're keeping score, you have already lost.

My wife and I got married in our 40's so we both are old enough that the little things just don't bother us and we don't argue. When we start up arguing, we both just take a time out and go do other things and forget about it. It's important to learn that most of the crap you argue about isn't important. Just suck it up and let it go. As was said earlier, you can be right or you can be happy. I chose happy and know deep down inside that I was right.
Name checks out.

30th anniversary for me and the missus today. I think we're cooking steak on the grill.

Unfortunately, that's not a euphemism. :sadbanana:
Congrats, GB! Our 30th is coming up in June -- no big plans either.
Same to both of you.

We celebrate ours in June as well. 20 years this year. This is my second marriage, so I always tell her I'm celebrating 23 years of marriage this year.

PSA: don't do that fellas...

Celebrated 30 years of marriage back in October last year. Standard joke for me is to say "it been the happiest 22 years of my life" :lol:

You "let her know" the day after you made the plans. You were supposed to "ask her" before you reached out to the golf group.
This is the right answer.

"Hey babe, Jon and Mark are going to golf 9 holes tomorrow. Weather should be pretty nice. I'd like to join them. What do you think?"

Now she may also be upset because the weather is nice and your plan is to spend time with people other than her.

Oh and even if the golf is your idea, don't divulge that. But don't lie either.

OP how old are you? This sounds like a young couple kind of fight.

Edit.....ok I scrolled back and saw you been together 30 years.

Dude what did you do?

She is mad because if she would have known Sunday that you were golfing Monday she would have been able to make plans with her friends for the same time but since you didn't tell her until the day of she didn't have time to do that so while you were out having fun she was at home stewing over how mad she is that you got to have fun and she didn't.

It reminds me of a scene from Rules of Engagement. The married guy (Jeff) kept a spreadsheet of everytime his wife screwed up and he didn't get mad. Then he would go to the "bank" when he screwed up and bring back a similar incident where she screwed up and he didn't get mad to diffuse her anger. It was quite brilliant. Very underrated show if you haven't seen it. It's on Amazon Prime.
This would never work in real life with a real woman.

She is mad because if she would have known Sunday that you were golfing Monday she would have been able to make plans with her friends for the same time but since you didn't tell her until the day of she didn't have time to do that so while you were out having fun she was at home stewing over how mad she is that you got to have fun and she didn't.

It reminds me of a scene from Rules of Engagement. The married guy (Jeff) kept a spreadsheet of everytime his wife screwed up and he didn't get mad. Then he would go to the "bank" when he screwed up and bring back a similar incident where she screwed up and he didn't get mad to diffuse her anger. It was quite brilliant. Very underrated show if you haven't seen it. It's on Amazon Prime.
I don’t think even SWC could take that to the bank.

I don’t think even SWC could take that to the bank.
Oh, it didn't work on the show either.

Did you try telling about the round you had? Back when I was married, whenever my wife would get mad at me for hanging out with my friends instead of helping with the kids or fixing something around the house, I'd just tell her how much fun I had with my friends. That got her to leave the room in a hurry. The more details the better.

After 10 years of dating and 28 years of marriage I've determined that despite all the studies saying otherwise, women just aren't that smart. Even if they are super successful, educated, determined, thoughtful, etc ... their emotions overrule their brains. Even post menopause. They can't consistently make logical decisions financially, emotionally, or factually. Even the PhD from Princeton that is running a company ... several times a day the emotional overrules common sense. And when they are in a bad mood they will find a way to make others feel like they are at fault or couldn't read their minds. These stories are as old as time. It's not gonna change. You just gotta be with a woman that is worth putting up with the bad for the good.

Ok..Wife and I had a tiff yesterday.
Here in Detroit, it was 71 Monday. On Sunday, I texted my golf group and asked if anyone wanted to play 9 holes. Couple guys replied. Ok all good.
Monday morning before leaving for work, I told the wife I was gonna play after work. You know, letting her know.
When I got back, she asked who went with me. I told her Jon and Mark. She was furious I didn't tell her Sunday when I made the plans. I told her I didn't understand what possible difference that made. Keep in mind this had zero impact on her schedule, or any plans we may have had. It was a regular Monday.
So we fought. Probably after I told her to stop being a nag. (Bad idea).
But seriously? Am I wrong here? I told her in advance but apparently it wasn't in advance enough. WTF. Do I have to keep her posted on any and all thoughts at all times?
Marriage is stressful man.
She’s wrong and you are owed a sincere apology.

I have a 48 page document that says I don't have to understand the original post.

On another note, I've been told that I have to give a speech at my sons rehersal dinner..................

I'm thinking "I'm supposed to give you advice............swing hard in case you hit the ball square, and I've got no marriage advice". Then propose a toast w/ tequila shots.

On another note, I've been told that I have to give a speech at my sons rehersal dinner..................

I'm thinking "I'm supposed to give you advice............swing hard in case you hit the ball square, and I've got no marriage advice". Then propose a toast w/ tequila shots.
"We've reached the point in the toast where you're expecting to be given advice on how to have a great marriage. :Look at your wife: Honey, you want to take it from here?"

I have a 48 page document that says I don't have to understand the original post.

Poor Cooper. :banned:

"We've reached the point in the toast where you're expecting to be given advice on how to have a great marriage. :Look at your wife: Honey, you want to take it from here?"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: that 48 page document is a decree that I don't have to call her "honey", if you know what I mean. And I guarantee you if I did throw it to her to give them advice, both boys and their fiances would start laughing.

Users who are viewing this thread