What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Outlaw Jesse James (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
With Green having issues that may cause him to go in injured reserve, or even retire, Jesse James looks to be a great sleeper TE for both redraft and dynasty.  He has the talent to succeed. 

9 over the last three years maybe but Heath was slowing down and had injuries. In 2012 in his prime Miller had 8 TDs so it's not that Ben doesn't look for the TE in the red zone.

Didn't stop ownership of Heath Miller
Not saying that he can't be a solid pick-up in the correct league, I was more surprised to see the three year total under the proposed O/U.

It looks the average targets available to the starting TE in PIT in that same three year time span was 80-90. He's definitely on my radar for my ffpc draft (1.5 PPR for TEs) tomorrow.

BigSteelThrill said:
His first half 4-25-1 had 2 catches wiped out by penalty one 14 yarder and a 24 yard screen.  :shiny:
It definitely seems like he'll be involved.  I would think they'd look to utilize his monster frame around the goal line.

I always thought of Miller as a poor man's Witten. Very reliable, had the complete trust of his QB, didn't get a ton of red-zone looks. So my two questions with JJ are a) Will he able to establish the same level of trust with Ben, and b) Will his height make him more of a RZ threat? And if those two things balance out, does that make him about as valuable as Miller in his prime (a low-end TE1)?

In my league that allows a WR/TE flex, I sometimes take a flier on a second TE in the last round if there are no RBs/WRs who excite me (that was how I got Kelce a couple years ago). I had been thinking about Watson for that spot, but that's obviously out the window. Now thinking James or Walford.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought of Miller as a poor man's Witten. Very reliable, had the complete trust of his QB, didn't get a ton of red-zone looks. So my two questions with JJ are a) Will he able to establish the same level of trust with Ben, and b) Will his height make him more of a RZ threat? And if those two things balance out, does that make him about as valuable as Miller in his prime (a low-end TE1)?

In my league that allows a WR/TE flex, I sometimes take a flier on a second TE in the last round if there are no RBs/WRs who excite me (that was how I got Kelce a couple years ago). I had been thinking about Watson for that spot, but that's obviously out the window. Now thinking James or Walford.
It takes years to get the level of trust Heath had.  That said, (1) Ben did look to Spaeth more than a couple times near the goal line because of his size; and (2) against NO, there was a play that broke down and Ben had to sidestep a sack, then looked over the middle to find James.  Reminded me a lot of how he used to find Heath in the same circumstances.  He might get to reasonable TE2 levels, but he's way back in the pecking order for Ben (AB, Wheaton, AB, Bell, AB, Rogers, AB, Coates, and, oh yeah, AB).

What are you guys looking to spend on him FAAB wise if you drafted early and he wasn't drafted?

I read a stat recently that the O coordinator does not feature the tight end very much. He'll have a good game here and there but I don' t think he'll offer much more than a bye week filler.

I read a stat recently that the O coordinator does not feature the tight end very much. He'll have a good game here and there but I don' t think he'll offer much more than a bye week filler.
Leonard Pope and Tony Moeaki are the only TEs he ever had in KC and Arizona.

With an aging Heath Miller he "featured" 71 catches, 58 in 14 games, 66 catches, and 60 catches. 

Leonard Pope and Tony Moeaki are the only TEs he ever had in KC and Arizona.

With an aging Heath Miller he "featured" 71 catches, 58 in 14 games, 66 catches, and 60 catches. 
Is James even as good a prospect as Moeaki was? Moeaki was more productive in college, a higher draft pick, and a quarter second faster.

Is James even as good a prospect as Moeaki was? Moeaki was more productive in college, a higher draft pick, and a quarter second faster.
TM was a big sleeper for me back in the day. Unfortunately, his bones were made of Pringles.

No. Not sure what his college prospectus does for us now though.

Tony had 47/556 as a rookie and then tore his acl year two. Came back year three and had 33/453.

That was on two teams that threw for 3000 yards and 17.5 TDs each of those seasons.

Pittsburgh, with Ben, was on pace for 5400 yards last year and three just under 5000 yards the year before.

I wouldn't necessary go based of college stats.. considering varying offense etc... plus penn state has been less than impressive the past few years.

He's been about what I expected. Not spectacular but a pretty good PPR TE2. Ben trusts him. Has he earned the primary TE role on this team or is the much more athletically gifted Ladarius going to grab this job by the marbles?

My guess is that they will divy up targets and render each other unstartable.

Droppable?  He's been decent for me in a deep league but I'm worried about Ladarius Green coming back.  Although there's no guarantee Green will get or stay healthy.

As for this week, any chance the backup QB looks to check down to his TE more often?

As a JJ owner, this is something to keep an eye on....

Steelers.com's Bob Labriola believes TE Xavier Grimble could "make a run" at the starting job.

Labriola wrote Grimble "has flashed the ability to be special" but struggles with consistency. Grimble is a more dynamic receiving weapon than presumed starter Jesse James, who has averaged 8.4 yards on 47 career receptions. If he proves more reliable in camp, it would not be surprising to see Grimble push James for the starting job.

Users who are viewing this thread