Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Maurile Tremblay

Bragging, venting, crowing, grieving...

My leagues have strict IR rules (NFL IR/PUP only; can't submit a lineup with an IR violation), so it kinda sucks when Guice and Foles get activated from IR during their bye week.  So I couldn't submit a lineup without activating them, but in order to do so I had to drop someone else and basically shorten my roster.

I caught a "break" of sorts being able to I-R Preston Williams to activate Foles, but that doesn't really feel like a win. 

On 11/4/2019 at 4:02 PM, ShamrockPride said:

Back from the dead. This week will be my 5th straight W after a 1-3 start, and I still get AJ Green back for the home stretch.

And now I'm not gonna be getting AJ back :hot:

BRAG!  I just picked up Evan Engram in our Dynasty league with #2 Waiver priority.  I traded away Engram, Lockett, DJMoore  for Hopkins pre-draft to clear roster space and land WR1 elite talent. Although I'm already loaded at TE i love reloading!  I was wondering if I should pick up FANT because someone dropped him.   The owners don't seem to be grasping DYNASTY aspect of the league.  #1 Waiver Priorty Owner needed a TE.  I could've believe he was sitting there. BUT honestly.  Picked him off of WW end of last season after a Win/Now owner dropped him so I guess I shouldn't be surprised right?

This is just the latest move that has me giddy. I'll share more below. BUT I'm concerned. If I dominate the league people might bail on it and lose interest. Should I tank?

I'm 8-1. Just lost my first game this year in week 9. I'm commissioner. 

The League is in it's second year of our 10Team 2 QB PPR Dynasty league that has scoring for KR, multiple bonus tiers. Crazy IDP points (double) and NO LIMITS on how long you can keep a player.  Year 1 everyone started with auto draft. I've only got 4 players on my roster from that original draft. Watson, Wilson, Chubb, RFreeman. The rest I've had to wheel and deal my ### off. Hawk the WW/FA wire. Draft like a mo-fo research and trade.  

ROSTER:

QB: Watson, Wilson, Mayfield, Grier

WR: Hopkins, Godwin, CKirk, MVS, AJ Brown, PCampbell, DPettis, Boykin, HButler-IR

RB: Elliott, Chubb, RJonesII, RFreeman, DGuice, KerryonJohson -IR. 

TE: Kelce, Engram, HHenry, Goedert, IrvSmithJr

K:Prater, DEF 49ers, IDPs: Keuchly, DBush  

Draft Picks; 2020 my own 1st, 2nd, 3rd,  and Top 4 1st.  and extra 3rd rounder.  I acquired the extra 1st after week 3.  I offered the owner CSutton and AJeffery for 1st rounder. He countered with a 2nd rounder. I pointed out that he drafted Delanie Walker #8 overall. And he's a strong contender (Mahomes owner).  He said...Good point.  Made the deal and lost his next 6 games.

Methodology to building my roster:
There are no roster limits so I don't have to worry about that. BUT still it's only half way through year 2. My goal is to build an elite squad in 3 years. 

#1. Start with ELITE QBS  Two Top 10 caliber players and a top 15 backup and project QB.  If you don't do this in 2QB leagues you'll be shutout from the starters and lack inconsistency. QBs accounted for 17 of the top 25 players in 2018.  There's a wide ranging tier. I try to target younger QBs that don't throw INTs. 

#2. Target elite positional talent W/R/T but when in doubt HOARD WRs and TEs. 

#3.  Buy low, sell higher.  Have a 'dream line-up".  Hoard best available talent.  Trade up until you're closer and closer to your dream line-up. But start by asking for those players. Not everyone values them the same especially in my league while owners tend to be slower on the uptake. 

#4.  Future picks clear roster space . This gives you roster flexibility to continue to hoard talent. It's currency. BUT be mindful that you don't waste them because you don't have any more room.  

#5. Consolidate Starter talent:  Depth is great. BUT  Elite starters are awesome.  Also I don't want to  torment over which player to start each week.  You're not likely to start Daniel Jones over Watson or Wilson ever.  Even if he outscores them once. They're likely more consistent and have those games with that extra effort.  

#6. Believe in your subs. Be patient and confident. Good things can happen.  I knew Chubb had upside. I didn't know when he'd get opportunity. But I was starting him because he was going to be my RB of the future and I didn't want to waste a roster spot on some 30yr RB that won't have value.  That means I'm one of the few players that started him when he went 3/105/2TD. That wasn't on the bench. That was in my starting line-up.  If you're truly acquiring elite talent with upside you can have that boom/bust players who might surprise you. 

#7. Get rid of the guys that aren't in the future plans. Don't necessarily drop them but go ahead and drop them.  FLEX Players rarely hold any sort of trade value. They're just roster filler. Unless it's the playoffs you need to roll with player that will have value. 

#8. Have idiots in your league: This can help and hurt. It can help because it creates opportunities that you don't really deserve. It can hurt because you can end up with an embarrassment of riches who might get hurt.  I've been able to pick up: Engram, PCampbell, AJ Brown, CDavis, and others off of the waiver wire.   I traded Dawson Knox for a 3rd and and they guy dropped Knox.  I can pick him up and trade him to another team for 3rd. Then  I'll offer someone 2 3rd rounders for a 2nd. 

#9. Trades lock in a certain amount of value: AS soon as I trade a player that didn't cost me anything I"m locking in a certain amount of increased value and gain.  I'll flip a WW/FA for a draft pick unless it's someone I've been watching and targeting that I feel will be a top 5-10 position player. I'm probably not trading them.

#10. Have a plan and exit strategy. Be patient. I really liked Hakeem Butler and Boykin in this last draft. Butler IR until 2020. Boykin not doing much. BUT I have 3 year plan for them. They should be able to break out by then.  I will continue to evaluate and see if it's a lack of talent, opportunity, other factor.   In Chad Kelly's situation it's his lack of maturity and off field issues that prevents him from being a starter and possible pro bowler. That's not something that typically has longevity so should he ever get the opportunity to start. I think he'll make a name but I'm going to sell high.  

Examples:  I traded for KJohnson who got hurt the week (RWoods + late 2nd rounder) Woods is on older side at 27. But solid value. + draft pick for a RB to a team that had 6 solid RBs.  I can't predict injury but I was pleased the deal was accepted. He's on IR but Guice just came off IR so I swapped their roster spots. 

It could be worse. The ANDREW LUCK Owner also had Ben Roethlisberger, and Sam Darnold. He's since traded Darnold for Brissett but could've picked him up off waivers. He picked up Luke Falk, Then his replacement. He owned THill. It seemed every player he touched broke their collarbone.  Funchess, JRoss IR.  Sterling Shephard. I've never seen such carnage for one team. 

Anyway. I can't really share with anyone how much I'm enjoying this league this year.  I mean the 1st rounder I acquired was tied for 1st and went on a 6 game losing streak. My wife's like Who Gives a Sh!t.  But You guys get it. I thank you for reading this long. Sorry if it's wordy. I had no other outlet. 

• Like 1

So due to byes and general sucktitude of my team (despite the fact that I'm the worst 6-3 team in the history of fantasy), I've been forced to start McCoy for 4 straight weeks!

17 hours ago, Tonycarpenter said:

I just picked up Evan Engram in our Dynasty league with #2 Waiver priority.  I traded away Engram, Lockett, DJMoore  for Hopkins pre-draft to clear roster space and land WR1 elite talent. Although I'm already loaded at TE i love reloading!  I was wondering if I should pick up FANT because someone dropped him.   The owners don't seem to be grasping DYNASTY aspect of the league.

Ya think?? HTF is Engram on waivers in a dynasty league with (by my count) 26 roster spots??

• Laughing 1

Vent:

This dynasty team is probably missing the playoffs.

QB: Wentz, Luck, Mayfield

RB: Bell, Chubb, Connor, Guice, Hunt

WR: JuJu, Beckham, Hopkins, Ross, Gallop

TE: Ebron, Rudolph

previously won 3 of last 4 titles. This year has been a tough one.

Hey, RedZone, I’m not watching you to see ####### tweets and ads taking up 1/4 of the screen.

• Like 1

WTF is going on with Chubb on the goal line?

Damn David Johnson. First time owning him in dynasty and not enjoying it. Traded for him before week 5 so did get 2 good weeks out of him but lost directly because of him week 7 (when he played 3 snaps and then sat) and now have a good chance this week. His replacement woulda been ekeler so not like he did a ton but better then a zero

When will I learn not to start Goff on the road? Although my other option was Cousins also on the road and w/o Thielen

Just now, heckmanm said:

When will I learn not to start Goff on the road? Although my other option was Cousins also on the road and w/o Thielen

My other option was Brandon Allen on bye, or Andy Dalton on bench.

At the present moment, I would have been better off starting either of them.

:bag:

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, heckmanm said:

Looks like I’m gonna survive. Also good chance in another league where I got -0.5 out of DJ

1st in points, tied for last place. Team has zero holes, there is literally nothing I could being doing different or better. Unbelievable. I'm always scoffed a bit when people say fantasy football is like 75% luck, turns out they are underestimating, its 99.9% luck. I'd be like 9-1 with a normal schedule, averaging 21 points against more than any other team.

Its like the rest of the league is on rookie, and I'm grinding on all-madden. I've seen seasons where weird stuff happened, but I've never seen the best team in the league be in last place 10 weeks in.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, travdogg said:

1st in points, tied for last place. Team has zero holes, there is literally nothing I could being doing different or better. Unbelievable. I'm always scoffed a bit when people say fantasy football is like 75% luck, turns out they are underestimating, its 99.9% luck. I'd be like 9-1 with a normal schedule, averaging 21 points against more than any other team.

Its like the rest of the league is on rookie, and I'm grinding on all-madden. I've seen seasons where weird stuff happened, but I've never seen the best team in the league be in last place 10 weeks in.

In one league, I'm second total in points and tenth out of twelve in record. 4-6. I was first in points until this bye week avalanche hit me. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rockaction said:

In one league, I'm second total in points and tenth out of twelve in record. 4-6. I was first in points until this bye week avalanche hit me. 

Pretty much that, only 1st in points and tied for 9th out of 10. 3-7 record. 

I've never really thought about it before this year, but why is fantasy football a head to head game? Seems like it would make more sense to just give the top half wins, and the bottom half losses, almost like Golf or Nascar. I know that isn't like real football(which is sort of fantasy's goal) but its not like you are facing a defense, so it would be more accurate in allowing the best teams to have the best records, and eliminate like 60% of the luck factor.

I suppose that is somewhat similar to the argument people have about best ball leagues.

1 minute ago, travdogg said:

I've never really thought about it before this year, but why is fantasy football a head to head game? Seems like it would make more sense to just give the top half wins, and the bottom half losses, almost like Golf or Nascar. I know that isn't like real football(which is sort of fantasy's goal) but its not like you are facing a defense, so it would be more accurate in allowing the best teams to have the best records, and eliminate like 60% of the luck factor.

I suppose that is somewhat similar to the argument people have about best ball leagues.

Probably because it started as a head-to-head type deal. Head-to-head takes into account weekly variance in your lineup and certain strategic decisions made vis a vis your match-up. It also gives you a concrete competitor, whereas play all or play doubleheader leagues leaves too many players in the mix to properly cheer for and against. Some people play pure points leagues or offer cash prizes to those who score a certain amount of points, etc. They certainly exist. head-to-head just seems to be the large majority of the gaming format.  

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

Probably because it started as a head-to-head type deal. Head-to-head takes into account weekly variance in your lineup and certain strategic decisions made vis a vis your match-up. It also gives you a concrete competitor, whereas play all or play doubleheader leagues leaves too many players in the mix to properly cheer for and against. Some people play pure points leagues or offer cash prizes to those who score a certain amount of points, etc. They certainly exist. head-to-head just seems to be the large majority of the gaming format.  

Both of my H2H leagues include a significant prize (10% of the pot I believe) for the high-scoring team for the year. Seems like it's almost always one of the top few teams in the standings, but I haven't kept detailed records. 

On 11/5/2019 at 10:50 AM, wlwiles said:

Need to vent.  Just having one of those years where every week it's something.  Currently sitting at 12th place out of 12.  Don't think I've ever spent a week in last place before that I can recall, and I don't like it. 

Drafted Adams at 1.08, blech.  Drafted Juju at 2.05, Ben gets hurt.  Drafted Ertz at 3.08, he's quiet all year and Goedert vultures every TD.  My 2QBs in a superflex are Matt Ryan and Cousins, Cousins stinks up the joint for the first 5 weeks, I caught Minshew off waivers along the way and now he's sucking, then Ryan throws up a 3 pt game and gets hurt.  Singletary blows up on my bench, flops in my lineup. I pulled off a trade after Week 5 for Keenan Allen, now he's bench fodder.  Guice got hurt week 1.  I was frustrated with Ertz and picked up Dissly, he goes down.  AJ Green won't ever return from injury, just wasting away on my bench week after week.  I bid too little FAAB on Chark & McLaurin, and bid too much on Ty Johnson.  

I finally manage to beat my projection by about 20 points this week thanks to Jacobs, Ertz, and ESanders, but run into the guy who's in 10th place with Garoppolo and Kyler and he crushes me.  At this point I feel like every move I make is a bad one. 

Updating my misery.  I just lost this past week to a guy who started Jeff Freaking Driskel as his only QB in a superflex.  I was licking my chops all week knowing he was screwed bc the only starting QB on the the wire for him to use from was Finley, then Driskel after Stafford ruled out. This guy owns Watson and Wentz (both on bye) and roster limit is 3 QBs so he wasn’t dropping either of them to pick up Finley AND Driskel, so I knew at worst I’d be a 20 pt favorite.  But along comes the rest of his team:  Kirk, Cooper, AJones, Andrews, Pitt D, and Butker.   I did exactly what I was projected to do and got beat by 30.  

I’ve got 2nd lowest Points For, and second most Points Against. So I’m double horrible at this game.  

• Like 1

Favored to win by 41 points last week over an ownerless team who was drawing dead at two positions (Thielen, McCoy).  Still managed to lose by 0.6 points. I blame Kupp.

• Sad 1

On 11/12/2019 at 11:56 AM, travdogg said:

I was on the other end of that last year. I was 8th in points but won the championship. This year I'm 5th in points and ranked 10/12. Guess I can't complain.

So my team in my team in my long-time friends and family league is not as potent as I thought immediately after the draft:

My 6 keepers (20-man roster and 10-team league):

Kerryon Johnson
David Johnson
Keenan Allen
Derrius Guice
Odell Beckham
Hunter Henry

And a bonus pick (4th round pick but realizing that close to 60 keepers are already off the board, the 4th round pick is perhaps akin to a 9th or 10th round pick): A.J. Green

Except for qb, k and defense, that's pretty much my starting lineup.  It's very possible that not one of these will be on my team in 2020. One thing is certain, I will be picking 1st or 2nd.  ugh

Had the choice of Josh Allen or Kyle Allen off the free agent heap last week to prepare for Russ Wilson’s bye.

Chose Kyle. Yeah...

Screw you Arizona...screw you SF....screw you both of you.....  Any of you watchign the AZ/SF  playing against the SF dfense know why.  

Edited by da_budman

22 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

I can't believe how unlucky I am at fantasy football this year.  That is all.

I bet I'm more cursed than you are.

Tyrek Hill goes down early last night ...  and my Sammy Watkins totals 2 catches for 26 yards.

I'd have been better off starting Nelson Algholor :X

Had a small lead in one league with Tyreek and Butker vs his Keenan Allen. :kicksrock:

I've never had a season like this.  I have the most "Points For" in our league but sitting at 6-5 and in danger of missing the playoffs.  I've been facing guys having the weeks of their lives.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:37 PM, fightingillini said:

I was up 16, done, and my opponent had Hill, Butker and Gordon.

I somehow won by 0.5.  Miracles can happen!

Ended up losing via stat correction.  Jackson went from 80 yds rushing to 79 yds rushing.

First time that has ever happened to me in 20 years of playing FF.

Hilton played over Fuller in my PPR league last night in a win or out of contention game :(

Deep 14 team league and I'm hurting for healthy WRs, figure I'll throw Pascal in vs. HOU as a viable home run swing, if nothing else I'll get a little something for his return yards.  Figured even with Hilton back, Zach will do something. I'll take a 4/40 game, 8 points, not asking too much. 

Dude is targeted one time.  ONE freaking target. No catches. No returns.  Big fat goose egg in my lineup to stare at all weekend now.  

8 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Crummy day across the board.

Yep.....in my only game that really "matters" in my 4 leagues, I'm getting  GODWIN'ED:wall:

Same guy is starting JEFF DRISKEL against me too.  If I get knocked out of the playoffs by Jeff F'N Driskel, I might quit fantasy forever.   

Wait, when does XFL fantasy start....?   :excited:

TZM

• Laughing 1

was up 20 heading in to sunday night... still had aaron jones & gurley left to play... all he had left was ingram and tucker.... well gurley and jones score a combined 7 points.... and i lost by 8 and am now out of the playoffs. i need to quit this stupid hobby

Edited by iamkoza
  • Like 1

Thought I’d cruise to #1 seed and points total a couple weeks ago with Kupp beasting, Waller playing good and Barkley coming back. Instead I gotta win this week to lock up the bye and do it by a good margin to keep the points lead. Luckily DJ Moore has stepped up otherwise I might have really been in trouble

96 team league, just cashed for best record/most points for in my division so already made my buy-in back a couple times over.  Plus got #1 overall seed for the league playoffs (highest seed always plays lowest ranked remaining seed each week) so I'm hoping for an extended playoff run and to cash more there.  Woot!

I had no idea Tate was injured. Will probably cost me the playoffs. I never checked since Thanksgiving :bag:

Last three weeks killed me...i got decent performances...but each week one or two guys have their best weeks against me.  Robert Woods and Devante Parker this week just killing me.  Front third place and rilling to but of the playoff picture without a big day out of Wilson and the Pats D.

NE keeping in James White all 2nd half and feeding him just cost me to miss the playoffs.  That and  losing by .12 points last week makes me want to quit this hobby.

If i actually checked sunday morning which i thought i did that Tate was out my only other option put up 20 points and I would win this week no problem and get a bye..

Now I need to sweat out a Monday night game for 14 points  .....  I most likely will lose 😡

15 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Last three weeks killed me...i got decent performances...but each week one or two guys have their best weeks against me.  Robert Woods and Devante Parker this week just killing me.  Front third place and rilling to but of the playoff picture without a big day out of Wilson and the Pats D.

same two guys beat me this week.  came close to starting Goff over Winston but kept looking at the rankings so went Winston.

it's a big league for me & missing playoffs by 2 points.   {slump}

15 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

FU Eagle D. Cost me a bye. Terrible performance 

yeah i should've stuck with SF.  some of the worst tackling ive ever seen.

Came into the week with a 40-ish point lead in total points, which is worth 10% of the pot.  I get 1 TD out of CMC, Ingram, Tyreek, Westbrook, HH, and Waller, while the other guy gets 5 TDs between Henry, Snell, Robinson, Samuel and the Tampa D.  Oh, and he also started Lamar Jackson, while I left Goff, Guice and Deebo on my bench

I'm now ~8 points down, with Cousins tonight vs his Lockett.