What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for low risk, low maintenance investment ideas (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
When my MIL was healthy she took out a life insurance policy on herself for both her grandkids. My 7 year old son got $25k. For now I just put it in the bank but looking for any ideas on how to invest long term (10 years). I thought about putting it in 529 account but not crazy about the idea in case its not used for college.

I would personally do a 529 plan.  If he uses it for educational expenses then it's an excellent thing.  If he does not, a 10% penalty on the gains is still going to be better than leaving it in the bank.

Despite "retirement" being in the titles, perhaps you can invest in a target retirement fund for your non-retirement needs.  A company like Vanguard will have a "2025 Target Retirement Fund" which assumes you will need the money by that year and will allocate the investments in the fund appropriately to manage risk for that timeframe.

Despite "retirement" being in the titles, perhaps you can invest in a target retirement fund for your non-retirement needs.  A company like Vanguard will have a "2025 Target Retirement Fund" which assumes you will need the money by that year and will allocate the investments in the fund appropriately to manage risk for that timeframe.
:goodposting:

Was coming in to post the same. Vanguard is near the best or best in class in terms of low fee investments. Target date is perfect in terms of how the money will be invested.

:goodposting:

Was coming in to post the same. Vanguard is near the best or best in class in terms of low fee investments. Target date is perfect in terms of how the money will be invested.
How does Vanguard compare to Fidelity funds, for example, for basic long term mutual fund investing?

How does Vanguard compare to Fidelity funds, for example, for basic long term mutual fund investing?
If the funds are tracking an index, within a small range of tracking error they should perform very similarly. The key is the management fees, and without checking I'd assume Fidelity is low but that's Vanguard's hallmark in offering low-cost mutual funds and ETF's vs. the market of other fund companies. If the management fees are similar and they track indexes, should be no significant differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the funds are tracking an index, within a small range of tracking error they should perform very similarly. The key is the management fees, and without checking I'd assume Fidelity is low but that's Vanguard's hallmark in offering low-cost mutual funds and ETF's vs. the market of other fund companies. If the management fees are similar and they track indexes, should be no significant differences.
Yep. And I think you can get into Vanguard's "Admiral Shares" starting at $10K for index funds which come with even lower expenses (0.05%).

Why low risk?  The kid is playing with house money and won't be in need of it for a long while.  Go ahead and roll the dice a few times.

Why low risk?  The kid is playing with house money and won't be in need of it for a long while.  Go ahead and roll the dice a few times.
Because it's my sons money and I really don't want to lose it. Even if it pays off a semester of college or a car or whatever.

Preferred shares.  I have a large chunk of money in BAC-L that pays ~6% at it's current price.  Probably higher return preferred shares out there but I like it because there's little risk in it.

Preferred shares.  I have a large chunk of money in BAC-L that pays ~6% at it's current price.  Probably higher return preferred shares out there but I like it because there's little risk in it.
Significant interest rate risk in preferred stocks.  Very long maturity dates or perpetual.   Anything paying north of 2% nowadays comes with risk.

I like the idea of a 2025 target date fund, vanguard works just fine.  

Significant interest rate risk in preferred stocks.  Very long maturity dates or perpetual.   Anything paying north of 2% nowadays comes with risk.

I like the idea of a 2025 target date fund, vanguard works just fine.  
I understand that risk, I just don't see the U.S. able to raise interest rates substantially with the size of our debt.

A balanced portfolio split of 30/30/30/10 is the easy answer.

30% WWE stock

30% Silver

30% Bitcoin

10% cash since you know, get your money out of the market and all. 

Ask yourself this.  Based on history will the S&P 500 be higher in ten years than it is today?

Therein lies the answer to your question. 

You could always go with a balanced fund like Vanguard Wellington. Pretty steady returns and a bright outlook for the future according to Morningstar.

Looking for low risk, low maintenance investment ideas
These are low risk, but might require some maintenance:

Option 1

Option 2 (a little above the $25k but nothing a good night at the blackjack tables couldn't cover)

If you set up some alerts or visit the m5 or d90 forums you may find more options or better deals. 

You could probably pay for Justin's entire college if you found a great deal on a D90 today. Those things will double in value in the next 10 years. Both of these are great investments actually, they are classics that will only increase in value if well maintained. If Justin prefers to use his self driving car to get around then you can sell them and pay for school, or keep them as weekend toys.

He is a smart boy and will win scholarships, put the money towards something he (and you) will enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread