What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gus Bradley is the worst coach in league history (1 Viewer)

Mr. Brownstone

Footballguy
Too many different issues to name them all, but he's just dumb. Letting time run off the clock while Baltimore runs clock off is assinine. Idiot.

His team has no idea what it is doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you get out coached by Mike McCoy. ...

When your team is consistently ill-prepared in predictable situations...

When your team lines up in bad matchups...

When you refuse to play an impact player on defense ...

Bradley wouldn't be the first (or last) head coach to get fired after struggling as a head coach and later find success with another team. I've mentioned several times that Bradley's second chance might be in Seattle after Pete Carroll calls it quits. No idea how long Pete plans to keep at it, but he's got to be one of the older head coaches. 

Bradley wouldn't be the first (or last) head coach to get fired after struggling as a head coach and later find success with another team. I've mentioned several times that Bradley's second chance might be in Seattle after Pete Carroll calls it quits. No idea how long Pete plans to keep at it, but he's got to be one of the older head coaches. 
Number 1

Well then sorry in advance, Hoop.

He's ####.

He's 12-39 over 3+ seasons. If he has learned anything, it hasn't been too much

I'm grateful that the Rooney family didn't think this way. Chuck Noll started his career 12-30 over his first three years. Would you guess that he didn't learn much either?

Pretty glad the Eagles didn't land him like I and a lot of others wanted. Of course we ended up with Chip instead who everyone wanted.

Now we got the guy who no one wanted, and we're 3-0.

Belichick 20-28 first three seasons. Had two other 5-11 seasons (and an 11-5) before winning a superbowl. 

I'm grateful that the Rooney family didn't think this way. Chuck Noll started his career 12-30 over his first three years. Would you guess that he didn't learn much either?
Different era with far less player movement and no salary cap. Organizations could accumulate great players and keep them for a long period of time. Not so much now. Now you have to be able to coach up players quickly, and adjust to changing rosters. Gus is not showing much inclination to be able to do this. If you want to share some of the great things Gus has done so far in his time with Jacksonville feel free. I don't follow them that closely.

John Fox has made some of the worst decisions I have ever seen, I honestly cannot believe he was given another chance.  Any GM that hires him should be immediately fired.

Mr. Bradley...Dave Campo is on line one...
Dave Campo? Richie Kotite? You guys are killing me here.  Bradley may not be quite that bad, but for the love of Hurns, Robinson and Bortles, can they get back to their 2015 offense? Cause this 25 completions for 190 yards sucks..Throw the ball downfield 

I'll throw Brad Childress in the mix for worst of all time. Bradley can and I think he will improve where Childress thought he was an elite coach and refused to change.

Hooper31 said:
He was 6-8 in year 3 and 11-3 in year 4.

All of you folks listing legendary coaches, I have a couple questions:

- How many times did those legendary coaches have their team totally unprepared to play?

- How many times were those coaches badly outcoached?

All of you folks listing legendary coaches, I have a couple questions:

- How many times did those legendary coaches have their team totally unprepared to play?

- How many times were those coaches badly outcoached?
How can any of us know this for sure? None of us were in meeting rooms. None of us were at practice. 

You're totally free to believe has had his team totally unprepared to play, but to list him as "dumb" is just not right. I have tons of respect for all 32 NFL head coaches. They form an elite group with a job like few others. However, I feel justified in believing that there are overly emotional unrealistic fans on the InterGoogle passing unfair judgment on coaches for their favorite teams. They're called fans (as in fanatical) for a reason. 

I don't know how his tenure will turn out going forward in JAX. No idea what will happen if he gets a second head coaching job. Won't be surprised to see any number of various outcomes. I'll wait and see. 

A final note for me in evaluating coaches. Ownership matters. It matters a lot. Ownership has the ability to create an environment that leads to success. Some NFL franchises currently lack that environment and will continue to struggle until there's a change. The best example I've watched closely is in Arizona. I think Bill Bidwell didn't give his team a chance. Now that he's out of the picture when it comes to day to day operations I think they've improved markedly. 

I have no idea if Bradley will develop into a good HC or not but all you need to do is look at the Browns to see that constantly changing head coaches is not a good thing to do.   I think you need to give a guy at least 4 seasons, if not 5, before you pull the plug.

How can any of us know this for sure? None of us were in meeting rooms. None of us were at practice. 

You're totally free to believe has had his team totally unprepared to play, but to list him as "dumb" is just not right. I have tons of respect for all 32 NFL head coaches. They form an elite group with a job like few others. However, I feel justified in believing that there are overly emotional unrealistic fans on the InterGoogle passing unfair judgment on coaches for their favorite teams. They're called fans (as in fanatical) for a reason. 

I don't know how his tenure will turn out going forward in JAX. No idea what will happen if he gets a second head coaching job. Won't be surprised to see any number of various outcomes. I'll wait and see. 

A final note for me in evaluating coaches. Ownership matters. It matters a lot. Ownership has the ability to create an environment that leads to success. Some NFL franchises currently lack that environment and will continue to struggle until there's a change. The best example I've watched closely is in Arizona. I think Bill Bidwell didn't give his team a chance. Now that he's out of the picture when it comes to day to day operations I think they've improved markedly. 
I totally agree that Ownership and General Managers have a huge influence on a coach's success or failure. And I would say that Bradley came to an organization that did not have a whole lot of talent when he got there. So I give him a pass on year one (4-12). He then brought in the rookie franchise QB in year two, so I will even give him a pass on that year (3-13). By year 3, we should have seen some progress. However, even though the offense has played better, the defense has been bad all three years, ranked 28th, 26th, and 31st in points allowed. This led to a 5-11 record. Bradley is a defensive coach. Even if the talent has been marginal, should there not have been some progress on that side of the ball? Was Bradley successful as a DC in Seattle just because he had a tremendous amount of talent on that defense? His record seems to support that.

Sometimes coordinators get promoted to head coach who just don't have the skills to be the overall leader of a team. To me it appears Bradley falls into that camp. Could I be wrong? sure, but as Parcells liked to say, you are what your record says you are.

There's patience and there's sticking with a guy with the worst NFL record EVERRRRRRRR* after 50 games.

* Okay since Owner/coach Bert Bell in the 30's

As far as the Browns,

Mangini 10-22 (.313)

Shurmur 9-23 (.282)

Pettine 10-22 (.313)

All higher winning pct in shorter period of time than Gus (.236)

However, even though the offense has played better, the defense has been bad all three years, ranked 28th, 26th, and 31st in points allowed. This led to a 5-11 record. Bradley is a defensive coach. Even if the talent has been marginal, should there not have been some progress on that side of the ball? Was Bradley successful as a DC in Seattle just because he had a tremendous amount of talent on that defense? His record seems to support that.

Sometimes coordinators get promoted to head coach who just don't have the skills to be the overall leader of a team. To me it appears Bradley falls into that camp. Could I be wrong? sure, but as Parcells liked to say, you are what your record says you are.
Here's the thing. He's still trying to play the same defense that he played at Seattle. Since he left, Seattle has changed their scheme slightly and adapted to their personnel.

Gus? He is so wed to his scheme that afetr all of the criticism about no Myles Jack that Jack is now playing some Otto (SLB).

Richard Williamson, who lasted one whole season in Tampa, gave a huge sigh of relief when he saw the title of the thread. 

Never heard of him? There is a reason. 

Go ahead and take a look at their records. 
Gus Bradley: 12-39, .235 winning %

Rich Kotitie: 40-56, .417 winning %

I'm shocked. But a closer shows that Kotitie's wins came from inheriting an insanely talented Eagles team in the early 90s. He walked into a roster with one of the best DLs in NFL history featuring Reggie White, Jerome Brown, and Clyde Simmons. He also had Seth Joyner at LB, Eric Allen at CB, etc., and on offense he had Jim McMahon at QB with Randal Cunningham waiting to take over. He Barry Switzered that team to an 21-11 record before the onset of free agency and his in own ineptness destroyed them.

His Jets record is the real indicator of his coaching prowess, and the source of his bad rep. He went 4-25 with the Jets and was responsible for blowing the 9th overall pick on a TE (Kyle Brady) in an age where TEs where a mere step above FBs. Three picks later, Tampa Bay took Warren Sapp. I'm a Bills fan and I recall actually feeling bad for our division rivals. They were that screwed by Kotite.

Richard Williamson, who lasted one whole season in Tampa, gave a huge sigh of relief when he saw the title of the thread. 

Is he the coach who was asked...What do you think about teams execution?  With him responding...."I am all for it".

I'm shocked. But a closer shows that Kotitie's wins came from inheriting an insanely talented Eagles team in the early 90s. He walked into a roster with one of the best DLs in NFL history featuring Reggie White, Jerome Brown, and Clyde Simmons. He also had Seth Joyner at LB, Eric Allen at CB, etc., and on offense he had Jim McMahon at QB with Randal Cunningham waiting to take over. He Barry Switzered that team to an 21-11 record before the onset of free agency and his in own ineptness destroyed them.

His Jets record is the real indicator of his coaching prowess, and the source of his bad rep. He went 4-25 with the Jets and was responsible for blowing the 9th overall pick on a TE (Kyle Brady) in an age where TEs where a mere step above FBs. Three picks later, Tampa Bay took Warren Sapp. I'm a Bills fan and I recall actually feeling bad for our division rivals. They were that screwed by Kotite.
I maintain that the 1991 defense is one of the best in NFL history, only to be ruined by the offense led by Kotite. Yes, injuries at QB really hurt (Cunningham went down for the season in week 1, leaving an over the hill McMahon, a rookie QB in Brad Goebal, and washed up back-ups in Jeff Kemp and Pat Ryun to handle the QB duties the rest of the season). But Kotite insisted on starting a rookie RB (James Joseph) and they had a 3.1 yards per attempt rushing the ball which was 28th in the league. The Eagles went 10-6 that year and missed the playoffs. Keep in mind that the Cowboys great offense was just starting to jell that year (they went 11-5) and the Eagles held them to 90 yards of offense and sacked Troy Aikman 11 times in their first meeting in Dallas. A thorough butt kicking.

I remember Barry Switzer used to make some calls every year that people would ask what the heck was he thinking?

Kotite lost his last 7 games with the Eagles, and thus was 4-35 in his last 39 games coached.

Is he the coach who was asked...What do you think about teams execution?  With him responding...."I am all for it".
Tampa Bay Buccaneers head football coach John McKay (1923-2001) was asked by a reporter after a loss what he thought about the execution of the team’s offense. “I’m in favor of it (execution—ed.),” McKay replied. The joke quickly became a sports classic.

For what it's worth, in that one season, with a 3-13 record, Williamson's team beat a team with one of the all time great defenses. That team and coach? The 1991 Philadelphia Eagles and coach Rich Kotite.

Users who are viewing this thread