Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
spider321

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

General question when it comes to league setup and players value.  We know that 2QB or superflex leagues QB's jump a lot in value, same with TE premium those get vaulted pretty high as well.  What about when most of the roster is flex worthy? 

1RB 1WR 1TE and 5+ flex spots.  What value spike/dip do you see with those?  I'm joining my first one this year like that setup and the my only thought was that it prioritizes studs maybe a little more, but not exactly position specific.  

Are any of those flex spots available for a QB?  Also, what is the scoring?  Assuming no superflex and just regular PPR scoring, I would favor RBs and WRs, unless you manage to get multiple elite TEs.  In general, without superflex and without any special scoring rules, the flexible starting lineup doesn't really favor anyone in particular but it does allow for different strategies to be successful.  You can draft more based on your opinion of BPA rather than having to fill a positional need.

Edited by RC94

Having lots of flex spots makes positional scarcity less of an issue and total scoring more important.

In PPR leagues it mostly helps WRs. In non-PPR it would help RBs. It probably also reduces TE value relative to RB/WR (unless it's TE premium).

It also gives you more freedom to zag when the rest of your league zigs. If the rest of your league is RB crazy then you can mainly stock up on WRs - you just need to be able to field one RB starter.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Zyphros said:

General question when it comes to league setup and players value.  We know that 2QB or superflex leagues QB's jump a lot in value, same with TE premium those get vaulted pretty high as well.  What about when most of the roster is flex worthy? 

1RB 1WR 1TE and 5+ flex spots.  What value spike/dip do you see with those?  I'm joining my first one this year like that setup and the my only thought was that it prioritizes studs maybe a little more, but not exactly position specific.  

IMO, this is where your scoring is important (PPR, bonuses at specific levels, length of TD, etc).  Obviously, pass catching RB's and slot WR value climb while in TD only league, they drop.   

I am in a 12 team 0.5 PPR / TE 1.0 PPR -->  RB's get bonus at 5 Rec & 50 yard Rec so a 3rd down RB is often a flex starter every week & most start 2 TE if they can.  

Difficult to judge these rookies since they havent played, but would Deebo for Cohen in a ppr league be a fair deal? Seems like it does on the FBG dynasty value chart but seems some people have some pretty strong opinions one way or the other

14 minutes ago, Johnny B. Goode said:

Difficult to judge these rookies since they havent played, but would Deebo for Cohen in a ppr league be a fair deal? Seems like it does on the FBG dynasty value chart but seems some people have some pretty strong opinions one way or the other

Cohen is a guy I would just never trade for.  He's a guy you find off waivers, he's productive, but not flashy, and usually heavily undervalued by the masses so it's impossible to trade him away for something worth while.  But he's stuck in his role and the only role increase he could get is if he grows taller.  He's capped at what he is.  That said he was RB11 in FFPC leagues last year and like I mentioned he's usually heavily undervalued.  

I'd trade him away in a heartbeat for Deebo and thank my stars that they didn't ask for more on top.  

51 minutes ago, Johnny B. Goode said:

Seems fair to me. 

How do people value Jaylen Samuels?  I imagine he's more valuable to his owners than his actual startup value.  He's going to similar guys in rookie drafts around the late 1st early 2nd variety of players right now.  So would that get it done if you owned him?  Late 1st / early 2nd?  

11 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

How do people value Jaylen Samuels?  I imagine he's more valuable to his owners than his actual startup value.  He's going to similar guys in rookie drafts around the late 1st early 2nd variety of players right now.  So would that get it done if you owned him?  Late 1st / early 2nd?  

I would easily take that for him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zyphros said:

I find that hard to believe. Seems more like a 3rd round value to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zyphros said:

He has more value to Conner owners, but if you don't have Conner he can be had for a late 2nd or early 3rd easily. An early 2nd for Samuels plus a mid 3rd is a great trade, as it potentially gets you Snell too, hedging your investment.

10 minutes ago, thriftyrocker said:

He has more value to Conner owners, but if you don't have Conner he can be had for a late 2nd or early 3rd easily. An early 2nd for Samuels plus a mid 3rd is a great trade, as it potentially gets you Snell too, hedging your investment.

I don't have Conner and no way would I give Samuels up for that. I get that it's a fair 'market' price and you're not getting more for him but why would I offload a RB who (I think) offers nice upside and could potentially break out to some extent right before that opportunity materialises? He's a hold if you have him. 

• Like 1

No way would I give an early 2nd for Samuels.  I agree about the 3rd round value, but he's a lottery ticket for the current owners so it's probably hard to get him for that price.  Connor is still the starter and they drafted Snell, who has talent, so I wouldn't give more than a 3rd for him and if it doesn't work so be it.  I would rather draft Snell in the 3rd and have him as the PIT RB lottery ticket.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:34 PM, Johnny B. Goode said:

I'd easily prefer Cohen. He's proven to be explosive in the NFL, and I don't think his role can't get a little bigger. I'm a Pettis guy though, so I don't see Deebo being any higher than the #3 target in that offense.

12 hours ago, Zyphros said:

Late 2nd for me. I think he's pretty safe to stay ahead of Snell, but I don't see him pushing Conner either, so he's gonna need an injury to truly pay off.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RC94 said:

No way would I give an early 2nd for Samuels.  I agree about the 3rd round value, but he's a lottery ticket for the current owners so it's probably hard to get him for that price.  Connor is still the starter and they drafted Snell, who has talent, so I wouldn't give more than a 3rd for him and if it doesn't work so be it.  I would rather draft Snell in the 3rd and have him as the PIT RB lottery ticket.

That's completely fair and i probably feel the same way but i think when we're talking about his value it's only relevant what someone who wants him will give, because you'd never trade him to somebody who didn't want him. 

I do see some upside - if Conner really meant that this is a split backfield, and it ends up being close to 50/50 in fantasy points, a late 2019 first would seem like a bargain.  

But that's just the thing - it's possible that whoever you took with a late first will look like a bargain,  too. I think it's more likely that the guys going in that range increase in value than Jaylen so I'd keep the pick, and i definitely wouldn't give an early 2020 second for him.  So that feels like the high end of what I'd expect you to be able to get for him.  

If i were selling, i might hold on until October and hope he'd had a couple nice games so i could get more for him.  

18 hours ago, Zyphros said:

Samuels is going to take that starting job over in Pittsburgh. I'm just not sure when. I wouldn't give up a 1st for him but I have no problem trading the 2.04 or later for him. Somewhere in that range. If I owned Conner I'd give up the 2.01 most likely.

Snell is not a threat. 

19 hours ago, Zyphros said:

As a NC State alum, I watched all of his college games. Samuels was never a primary RB in his college career; he was a hybrid/H-back/TE. He had more receptions than rushing attempts in his college career, and his highest season average for carries per game was 6.0 in his final season.

I see zero reason to believe he will ever be a primary RB in the NFL. He might step in for a heavier workload if Conner gets hurt, but IMO it would be temporary. IMO he will always have a role that is mostly limited to being a passing down RB. (And even then, he needs to improve his pass blocking.) I am a big fan, so I would love for him to prove me wrong.

I am more in line with those supporting a value equivalent to the late 2nd, early 3rd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milkman said:

Samuels is going to take that starting job over in Pittsburgh. I'm just not sure when. I wouldn't give up a 1st for him but I have no problem trading the 2.04 or later for him. Somewhere in that range. If I owned Conner I'd give up the 2.01 most likely.

Snell is not a threat. 

If you truly believed he is going to take over the starting role in Pittsburgh why wouldn’t you give up a first for him? The starting RB in Pitts is a valuable commodity.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Milkman said:

Snell is not a threat. 

I agree Snell isn't a threat, and a lot of his owners believe he's in a 60/40 timeshare this season.  The threat is if Conner was just a flash in the pan, and they don't think Samuels can handle a big workload, they could draft a RB next year (although I highly doubt it would be 3rd round or earlier).  

That's the rub that I always see a problem in paying high prices for guys who "could" breakout.  Unless the path is super clear to breakout territory, there's always a threat to be replaced even if they pan out.  Marlon Mack being a good example this year.  

19 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

If you truly believed he is going to take over the starting role in Pittsburgh why wouldn’t you give up a first for him? The starting RB in Pitts is a valuable commodity.

Because I don't pay what I value players at. I target undervalued players and buy at current rates. Then I get the added value when they pop. 

Edited by Milkman

14 minutes ago, Zyphros said:

I agree Snell isn't a threat, and a lot of his owners believe he's in a 60/40 timeshare this season.  The threat is if Conner was just a flash in the pan, and they don't think Samuels can handle a big workload, they could draft a RB next year (although I highly doubt it would be 3rd round or earlier).  

That's the rub that I always see a problem in paying high prices for guys who "could" breakout.  Unless the path is super clear to breakout territory, there's always a threat to be replaced even if they pan out.  Marlon Mack being a good example this year.  

Sure but if you wait until they break out you don't get any value. You have to make calls and go for it sometimes. Not saying Samuels is a slam dunk but he's about as good as it gets at RB lottery tickets this year. 

28 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Because I don't pay what I value players at. I target undervalued players and buy at current rates. Then I get the added value when they pop. 

But if Samuels is going to be the starting RB of the Steelers, at his age, a single first round pick is buying at an undervalued price.

• Like 1

This is not me asking for advice but rather looking for thoughts, specifically on the value of some WRs and a couple RBs.

I turned down an offer of J Howard and OBJ for my Juju and Aaron Jones. The guy was a little taken aback that I turned it down. He has vocally talked #### about OBJ's attitude and how much Mayfield and him suck (a couple months back) but now is actively shopping OBJ, talking about how he is going to be the WR1 this year. I think he may be right but I know he is full of it.

Anyway, I have Juju, Evans, Julio and Adams and am not sure I want to add any piece to any to the 4 of those in order to secure OBJ. If I even want or need to get him. I *do* think he could hit the stratosphere this year, though. He isn't interested in Julio and I don't want to move any of these WRs but am leaning toward Evans if I had a gun to my head. Evans is also on my list of guys that could blow up this year.

I have Jones, D Williams, Mack and Ingram that I could potentially add but am wondering on the value of OBJ against my 4 WRs. The more I think about it Juju is probably the one with the most question marks, but he is the dynasty WR1 IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

But if Samuels is going to be the starting RB of the Steelers, at his age, a single first round pick is buying at an undervalued price.

Not if you can get him for a 2nd. Dynasty is about maximizing value where other owners don't see it. I do think Samuels is going to push Conner off the field. I don't however know when it will happen. Could be week 8.......Could be next year........

25 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

This is not me asking for advice but rather looking for thoughts, specifically on the value of some WRs and a couple RBs.

I turned down an offer of J Howard and OBJ for my Juju and Aaron Jones. The guy was a little taken aback that I turned it down. He has vocally talked #### about OBJ's attitude and how much Mayfield and him suck (a couple months back) but now is actively shopping OBJ, talking about how he is going to be the WR1 this year. I think he may be right but I know he is full of it.

Anyway, I have Juju, Evans, Julio and Adams and am not sure I want to add any piece to any to the 4 of those in order to secure OBJ. If I even want or need to get him. I *do* think he could hit the stratosphere this year, though. He isn't interested in Julio and I don't want to move any of these WRs but am leaning toward Evans if I had a gun to my head. Evans is also on my list of guys that could blow up this year.

I have Jones, D Williams, Mack and Ingram that I could potentially add but am wondering on the value of OBJ against my 4 WRs. The more I think about it Juju is probably the one with the most question marks, but he is the dynasty WR1 IMO. 

I wouldn't bother with Beckham in your case.  He's too expensive and you don't need him with your WRs.  Beckham in CLE is no sure thing to be as good as he was in NY.  They have a lot of mouths to feed and your top 4 WRs are all capable of putting up similar points to him.  His offer was really bad IMO so if you have to give up one of your elite WRs and one of your starting RBs for him, he isn't worth it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

I would have took that deal but I have ODB>Juju and OJ Howard > Jones

Jones is nothing. Howard is the best TE in the league stuck in a terrible spot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Pretty sure he was talking about Jordan Howard, and even if you don't like Aaron Jones, he has a lot more trade value than Howard.  However, we also disagree about Beckham since I have Juju > Beckham.

3 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Jordan not OJ. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RC94 said:

Pretty sure he was talking about Jordan Howard, and even if you don't like Aaron Jones, he has a lot more trade value than Howard.  However, we also disagree about Beckham since I have Juju > Beckham.

Oh my bad. That changes things quite a bit. I wouldn't bother with a deal like that. OBD and Juju to close. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RC94 said:

I wouldn't bother with Beckham in your case.  He's too expensive and you don't need him with your WRs.  Beckham in CLE is no sure thing to be as good as he was in NY.  They have a lot of mouths to feed and your top 4 WRs are all capable of putting up similar points to him.  His offer was really bad IMO so if you have to give up one of your elite WRs and one of your starting RBs for him, he isn't worth it.

Yeah those are my thoughts too. Although I like OBJ in Cleveland quite a bit more than NY. But I have all 5 of these guys as roughly equal. A little less for Julio and Evans perhaps. 

BTW if it was OJ that would still not quite put me over the top on the deal but it would be much closer. I like Aaron Jones and can't see moving a starting RB to make what is probably a lateral move with the WRs. 

I have just always coveted OBJ and have never had him in dynasty. I think he might kill it this year. Then again, and I know this will sound crazy, but the Browns might be playing from ahead a bit this year.

Edited by barackdhouse

7 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

Jordan not OJ. 

What's the rest of his roster look like?

40 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Not if you can get him for a 2nd. Dynasty is about maximizing value where other owners don't see it. I do think Samuels is going to push Conner off the field. I don't however know when it will happen. Could be week 8.......Could be next year........

Each dynasty league is a closed market, and if you wanted Samuels you are limited to the price tag dictated by the team that owns him. That’s not to say you should pay whatever is being asked, but I found it curious that on one hand you seemed convinced Samuels will be the starting RB in Pittsburgh yet you also said you wouldn’t pay a first for him. Of course you’d rather pay a second if you could - but a first still seems to be undervalued for the 22 year old starting RB for the Steelers. 

Anyway no need to beat this to death - just seemed incongruous.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, barackdhouse said:

Yeah those are my thoughts too. Although I like OBJ in Cleveland quite a bit more than NY. But I have all 5 of these guys as roughly equal. A little less for Julio and Evans perhaps. 

BTW if it was OJ that would still not quite put me over the top on the deal but it would be much closer. I like Aaron Jones and can't see moving a starting RB to make what is probably a lateral move with the WRs. 

I have just always coveted OBJ and have never had him in dynasty. I think he might kill it this year. Then again, and I know this will sound crazy, but the Browns might be playing from ahead a bit this yeat. 

Yeah you want on the Mayfield/OBJ train if you can. Juju going to see coverage he's never seen before. Lots of attention. 

2 minutes ago, Milkman said:

What's the rest of his roster look like?

He and I are both stacked and have won the last 3 ships. He won the two years prior to last, where I won. But he has Gurley, Kamara, Guice, OBJ, Nuk, Edelman and Kelce. Wilson at QB. He has recently moved A Brown, Bell and lost Gronk though he is still rostered. Personally I think he was stronger a couple years ago. Lots of studs that "all of a sudden" lost their value or appeal. Gurley, Bell, Brown, Gronk, OBJ(in his mind despite the line he is trying to sell). He is notoriously stingy on trades and it has served him well. 

Not trying to get into AC territory here but I do find it interesting that this guy wants to move someone he is supposedly so high on (he isn't). I think he mostly wants to profit with a RB move. Which I'm not having. 

11 minutes ago, Milkman said:

Yeah you want on the Mayfield/OBJ train if you can. Juju going to see coverage he's never seen before. Lots of attention. 

This has absolutely crossed my mind. 

On 6/25/2019 at 1:07 PM, RC94 said:

With Doyle healthy again, I'm not confident Ebron can reproduce last year's results so I would be a seller on him.  I had him in 1 league and right after the season traded him and a 2020 2nd for a 2021 1st.

Doyle has recovered from his hip surgery.  He is still recovering from the kidney procedure.  He has lost 25 lbs since this start and is trying to put the weight back on. 

I'd love to get a 2nd for Samuels.

What about Eckler? Any chance I can get a 2nd for him? Seems like he's got a pretty capped ceiling. Is he even a handcuff to Gordon?

1 hour ago, FreshiZ said:

What about Eckler? Any chance I can get a 2nd for him? Seems like he's got a pretty capped ceiling. Is he even a handcuff to Gordon?

Maybe he's worth a 2nd to the Gordon owner, but I have my doubts.  Not a slamdunk handcuff imo.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hairy Snowman said:

Doyle has recovered from his hip surgery.  He is still recovering from the kidney procedure.  He has lost 25 lbs since this start and is trying to put the weight back on. 

Wow - good info.

2 hours ago, FreshiZ said:

In a league where I have a very strong team (won it last season) but lost some RB depth I acquired Eckler for a third round pick from a rebuilding team. I don't agree his ceiling is capped since Gordon has shown to get banged up a bit - but if Gordon is healthy, yes. I still think he's ahead of Justin Jackson, but Jackson does have a shot to earn a role if Gordon goes down. I think Eckler is a decent guy to roster in ppr leagues since he'll have standalone bye week value and has upside if Gordon goes down. With that said, he's probably a career backup type so if the Chargers move on from Gordon, I doubt Eckler takes over. They likely draft a RB or sign a cheaper option (than Gordon) in free agency. 

• Like 2

Assuming for the moment that Tyreek Hill ends up with a short suspension (and stays out of trouble), how do folks see his value vs Godwin? Hill nearly won a league for me last year, and I have a chance to get him in a separate salary cap league this year, but it would cost me Godwin (who I have at 1/6 the salary, which would equate to me being able to hang onto him for 2 years longer than I could Hill).

We've seen what Hill can do, and with Mahomes chucking it, he's a threat for 30FP in just about any game.  Godwin's got more prototypical WR size, but is also sharing the pie with Evans (and Howard to an extent) so I can't see his ceiling being nearly as high.

Most current rankings seem to be downgrading Hill considerably based on the legal/suspension potential, which I get.  That Dynasty 101 trade calculator on the last page has Hill in tier 4 right now, and rated lower than Godwin.  How much is that going to bounce back if he only ends up getting 2 games (or none, which has been speculated recently)?  

Again, this is all assuming Hill gets good news from the league, and stays on the field.  I guess really I want to know: Does Godwin have top 5-10 WR talent/opportunity over the next couple of years?

58 minutes ago, heckmanm said:

Assuming for the moment that Tyreek Hill ends up with a short suspension (and stays out of trouble), how do folks see his value vs Godwin? Hill nearly won a league for me last year, and I have a chance to get him in a separate salary cap league this year, but it would cost me Godwin (who I have at 1/6 the salary, which would equate to me being able to hang onto him for 2 years longer than I could Hill).

We've seen what Hill can do, and with Mahomes chucking it, he's a threat for 30FP in just about any game.  Godwin's got more prototypical WR size, but is also sharing the pie with Evans (and Howard to an extent) so I can't see his ceiling being nearly as high.

Most current rankings seem to be downgrading Hill considerably based on the legal/suspension potential, which I get.  That Dynasty 101 trade calculator on the last page has Hill in tier 4 right now, and rated lower than Godwin.  How much is that going to bounce back if he only ends up getting 2 games (or none, which has been speculated recently)?  

Again, this is all assuming Hill gets good news from the league, and stays on the field.  I guess really I want to know: Does Godwin have top 5-10 WR talent/opportunity over the next couple of years?

I think Hill's value is pretty close to bouncing back relatively heavily.

I just took him 3.10 in a startup (Godwin went 5.07) and I think that value will only continue to rise for Hill.  He won't be back to where he was but I think he'll settle in around 2nd round startup value as we approach the season if the suspension is indeed 4 or fewer games.

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

I think Hill's value is pretty close to bouncing back relatively heavily.

I just took him 3.10 in a startup (Godwin when 5.07) and I think that value will only continue to rise for Hill.  He won't be back to where he was but I think he'll settle in around 2nd round startup value as we approach the season if the suspension is indeed 4 or fewer games.

Thanks. Shortly after posting that,  I found some older rankings on that same Dyansty 101 site (from Feb/Mar) that had Hill at WR11 and Godwin at WR41, which is about what I was thinking for Hill absent the off-field issues, and Godwin still with Adam Humphries on the team at that point.

The latest FBG rankings have Godwin at 24 (with Humphries gone) and Hill at 27, but if Hill gets a reprieve, I think he shoots right back up near the top 10, with Godwin still around that 24 spot.

So my evaluation if Hill gets good news is more  like WR10-15 for 7% of my salary cap vs WR24 for 1.25%, which is a little more concrete an evaluation for me. This league has salaries escalate from 1 to 10 units per year (400 cap), so I could hang on to Godwin at least 2 years longer than Hill if they ended up similarly valuable.  But if I'm trying to win in the next year or two, Hill's ceiling is probably worth it. 

What are your guys thoughts on Goedert? Is he a buy now or during the season? I want more of him on my teams but can't get owners to budge. Also, thoughts on Irv Smith Jr.? Is he a buy now or during the season once he's locked into the backup role? 

Edited by dipandglide

7 hours ago, FreshiZ said:

I think Ekeler is better than Samuels. He's the only RB in the NFL to have over 5 yards per carry, and 1 yards per catch in each of the last 2 years. I think he's one of the best pass catching RB's in the NFL, and is probably underused by the Chargers. He wasn't as bad as people remember when Gordon went down last year either. He had 3 games he started, and was good in 1, ok in 1, and bad in 1. Perhaps its a coincidence, but the Chargers went undefeated in games Gordon missed. 

I think Ekeler has a 50-50 shot of being the heir apparent in LA. I'm not worried about Jackson at all. I do worry that Gordon will be franchise tagged next off season, but I can't imagine a long term deal unless its very team friendly, just based on Gordon's health issues.

I'd value Ekeler as a mid 2nd rounder. Roughly equal to Damien Harris. Maybe even Justice Hill.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dipandglide said:

What are your guys thoughts on Goedert? Is he a buy now or during the season? I want more of him on my teams but can't get owners to budge. Also, thoughts on Irv Smith Jr.? Is he a buy now or during the season once he's locked into the backup role? 

I wouldn’t buy Goedert at all because you have to pay a price that assumes Ertz isn’t there.  Which makes some sense but not a lot.  Ertz himself is one of the best TEs in true NFL, and people assume he’ll get pushed aside?  

If the price is reasonable then sure I’d buy for an early-mid 2nd, maybe a late 1st if I had Ertz already.  But no chance I pay higher for a guy that probably isn’t fantasy startable this year.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Milkman said:

I do think Samuels is going to push Conner off the field. I don't however know when it will happen. Could be week 8.......Could be next year........

Why do you think this? I'm not being a "debate me!" guy, I just want to read your opinion as I don't see it at all. Maybe I have a massive blind spot. 

5 hours ago, dipandglide said:

You def want to buy him but he could still be a couple years away. That's an eternity in FF. The Eagles were a terrible landing spot for him unfortunately. 

If you can get him and sit on him. Wait for him to have two quiet games in a row and try then. Have him be more of a throw in piece that the main focus of the trade. 

Edited by Milkman
  • Like 2

What’s Ito Smith worth? Last year he looked...ok. Now he’s inheriting a backup role with a history of very solid touches (by backup standards) in a good offense, behind a starter with a balky knee who may or may not still be any good at this point.

I’m lukewarm on the player but he seems to have a very plausible path to league-winning opportunity